Georges St. Pierre : "I Am Not The Champ Anymore"

wickett1800

We just lost a big name in Brock' date=' losing GSP could really hurt.[/quote']

I don't think so, look how exciting the PPV's have been. Now we don't have to worry about the greaser ruining a card every 6-8th one.

Look at the past PPV main events

142- Aldo/Mendes

141- Reem/Lesnar

140- Jones/Machida

139- Hendo/Shogun

138- Leben/Munox

137- BJ/Diaz

They have been epic. Had GSP been apart of one of those like he was at 129. Card would have been ***.

I don't think so' date=' look how exciting the PPV's have been. Now we don't have to worry about the greaser ruining a card every 6-8th one.

142- Aldo/Mendes

141- Reem/Lesnar

140- Jones/Machida

139- Hendo/Shogun

138- Leben/Munox

137- BJ/Diaz

They have been epic. Had GSP been apart of one of those like he was at 129. Card would have been ***.[/quote']

I think one of the reasons people watch him so much is to see him lose so hes always gonna be a big draw. I agree he can be boring to watch but I think he does the sport good. Not by being boring but by being humble and respectful and showing that Martial Arts discipline. Just my thoughts.

I think its just gsp being gsp no diffrent

Hes a gentalman who is looking out 4 the best intrest for the ufc....he is not like sonnen who when not fighting hypes himself up...it would hurt the ppv number is the public does not believe that the interim champ is not the real champ...add in its not sure how long gsp will return back to 100 percent

Gsp is just what he feel is the best thing to say 4 the ufc intrests and also not being fake like many fighter and promote himself

Look at big nog interim title...he should have been looked at with more respect then he was...but other fighter wwho were injured at the time (mir/brock) were talking smack saying hes fake.....ok this peragraph 100 percent baised...just ignore it lol

First off, his entire interview needs to be read to full understand what he is saying (I've included the full paragraph below).

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/01/31/ufc-news-gsp-talks-will-cheer-for-his-enemy-this-weekend-refutes-whites-claim-of-hatred-towards-diaz-12793.html

?The way I see it, I am not the champion anymore on Saturday night. I have not fought since April, against my will, but I understand the champion must fight. Youhave to put the belt on the line in order to call yourself champion, the best in the world. Right now I am not the best in the world, I am injured. The winner of this fight on Saturday will be more than just the new No.1 contender, but he won?t be the new champion either. The winner of this fight will have to beat me to become the true world champion and I will have to beat the winner of this fight in order to call myself the best in the world again.

I like the format where the winner of this fight will have to fight me and I have to fight the winner to truly become the UFC champion. That is what the UFC is about,that is competition. This is fair to all of us, we have to beat each other to be the undisputed champion.?

First off' date=' his entire interview needs to be read to full understand what he is saying (I've included the full paragraph below).

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/01/31/ufc-news-gsp-talks-will-cheer-for-his-enemy-this-weekend-refutes-whites-claim-of-hatred-towards-diaz-12793.html

[i']?The way I see it, I am not the champion anymore on Saturday night. I have not fought since April, against my will, but I understand the champion must fight. Youhave to put the belt on the line in order to call yourself champion, the best in the world. Right now I am not the best in the world, I am injured. The winner of this fight on Saturday will be more than just the new No.1 contender, but he won?t be the new champion either. The winner of this fight will have to beat me to become the true world champion and I will have to beat the winner of this fight in order to call myself the best in the world again.

I like the format where the winner of this fight will have to fight me and I have to fight the winner to truly become the UFC champion. That is what the UFC is about,that is competition. This is fair to all of us, we have to beat each other to be the undisputed champion.?[/i]

Now we get the whole story. That makes sense. Thanks for the post.

Interesting words from GSP.

Is he just saying what most people are thinking to appease them or does he believe it? This interim title is only a glorified number one contender fight after all.

Anyone disagree with that??

http://addictedmma.com/story-News_6338_Georges-St-Pierre--quotI-Am-Not-The-Champ-Anym.php

GSP has said for years that he likes to think of the title as not being his when he fights for it.

He is carefully trained and schooled athlete and he is going to put himself into the best possible mindset.

A lot of other fighters could learn a lesson here.

I don't get how people can say hang them up and **** about a top fighter like Gsp? I'm not a big fan of his fight style but he is champion whether he's injured or not, no one has proved they can beat him since he hit his prime. I want to see someone prove they can beat him like Diaz (hopefully) or Condit or maybe they can't atleast we find out.

GSP is still the champ until somebody beats him. Perhaps GSP is trying to get himself motivated by making it out as if the new interm champion is the real champ. That way he can go in there an win the title again.

Thats exactly it. He will enjoy stomping ape face even more when he gets back.

i think he's just saying that so he can get like a he's the underdog type motivaton going so it gives him the drive to train like a mad man even more ,and to prove to himself that he is the champ...Not a big gsp fan but bravo sir i like your thinking

GSP only says condit is better because he knows he can LnP Condit but not Diaz.

Condit has no TDD just like nick diaz

Condit has a purple belt in fake gaidojitsu, a failed version of jiu jitsu.

nick diaz has slick real black belt level BJJ and georges will be scared to stand and scared to go to the ground so what will he do?

i rest my case

GSP don't be scared homie.

GSP is still the champ until somebody beats him. Perhaps GSP is trying to get himself motivated by making it out as if the new interm champion is the real champ. That way he can go in there an win the title again.

This is exactly it. He needs to find ways to motivate himself, much how Penn talks trash and builds up artificial hate towards his opponent to get himself ready for the fight. I am sure if you asked Condit and Diaz, both would tell you that the belt doesnt mean that much if they didnt beat GSP to earn it.

GSP only says condit is better because he knows he can LnP Condit but not Diaz.

Condit has no TDD just like nick diaz

Condit has a purple belt in fake gaidojitsu' date=' a failed version of jiu jitsu.

nick diaz has slick real black belt level BJJ and georges will be scared to stand and scared to go to the ground so what will he do?

i rest my case

GSP don't be scared homie.[/quote']

At least you got one thing right. Diaz has never done well against strong wrestlers and he hasnt shown that that has changed (one way or the other), so why should we believe he has substantially improved that part of his game? Strong TD's, good cardio, and great sub defense will beat Diaz every day of the week. Hmmm, who does that sound like.... I dont think he will get past Condit anyway, but we'll see.

At least you got one thing right. Diaz has never done well against strong wrestlers and he hasnt shown that that has changed (one way or the other)' date=' so why should we believe he has substantially improved that part of his game? Strong TD's, good cardio, and great sub defense will beat Diaz every day of the week. Hmmm, who does that sound like.... I dont think he will get past Condit anyway, but we'll see.[/quote']

How people don't see it astonishes me. I think Condit will win too, but I'm less sure about that.

GSP is probably sick of dominating idiots that think they can MMA with no takedown defense. Regardless of his recent boring style' date=' no one that gets taken down at will deserves to be ranked any higher.[/quote']

I agree, taking someone down and not being able to do any damage is an amazing skill

I don't think ill ever understand the amount of hate for gsp on this forum.

I'm no fan but he is THE most complete fighter in the sport' date=' and has been for quite a while.[/quote']

so sick of hearing this... how is the most complete? he cant punch worth ****. he cant apply an armbar properly. he has a questionable chin and no toughness

He's putting himself in the mindset that he is the contender no matter what.

That is dangerous for anyone that wants to fight him for the title. A GSP willing to leave no questions can finish almost anyone in his division and the division above.

As it stands, he has only shown the capacity to "hold on" for the win. The alternative would simply be spectacular.

Interesting words from GSP.

Is he just saying what most people are thinking to appease them or does he believe it? This interim title is only a glorified number one contender fight after all.

Anyone disagree with that??

http://addictedmma.com/story-News_6338_Georges-St-Pierre--quotI-Am-Not-The-Champ-Anym.php

He is trying to make it harder for people to hate on him i think.

I actually like his reasoning here.

At least you got one thing right. Diaz has never done well against strong wrestlers and he hasnt shown that that has changed (one way or the other)' date=' so why should we believe he has substantially improved that part of his game? Strong TD's, good cardio, and great sub defense will beat Diaz every day of the week. Hmmm, who does that sound like.... I dont think he will get past Condit anyway, but we'll see.[/quote']

that-guy-base.png

Is talking about fights from 2006

It is a media article,most are usually 50% truth and 50% total bull.For one thing GSP trains almost entirely at the TRI Star gym,and i wouldn't call Jackson a corner man or coach,he is clueless imo.

IF GSP says anything to back this up,it is merely the old fashion psyche game we have seen in EVERY sport for the last 100 years.

One thing for sure,if GSP goes into his next fight angry,he runs a 25% higher chance of losing because of Adrenaline burnout and not remaining focused.

To be fair' date=' he hasn't fought a wrestler since to disprove it either.[/quote']

hes done so much improvment since then its not even funny, and even a hater has to see....he turned black belt in 07' and his striking has improved TONS....he faces any of those bums again and they would get wrecked, like gsp would

hes done so much improvment since then its not even funny' date=' and even a hater has to see....he turned black belt in 07' and his striking has improved TONS....he faces any of those bums again and they would get wrecked, like gsp would[/quote']

Yes Diaz has improved tons and yes he would probably beat them now. I don't hate Diaz. But the fact is, he hasnt beat a wrestler since those loses, so the question mark remains.

Diaz will be on his back for the duration of the GSP fight and his sub defense is way too good.

Yes Diaz has improved tons and yes he would probably beat them now. I don't hate Diaz. But the fact is' date=' he hasnt beat a wrestler since those loses, so the question mark remains.

Diaz will be on his back for the duration of the GSP fight and his sub defense is way too good.[/quote']

when was the last time he fought a good jitz guy off his back? never so the ? still remains, you cnt play that game....diaz has a dam good chance at beating ur boy, and i belive he will....

PS: Dnt u dare say BJ, cuz 3 things-

1.Bj is not good off his back in mma, we can all agree with that

2.GSP greased in the second fight

3.GSP layed on BJ in the first fight

I don't think so' date=' look how exciting the PPV's have been. Now we don't have to worry about the greaser ruining a card every 6-8th one.

142- Aldo/Mendes

141- Reem/Lesnar

140- Jones/Machida

139- Hendo/Shogun

138- Leben/Munox

137- BJ/Diaz

They have been epic. Had GSP been apart of one of those like he was at 129. Card would have been ***.[/quote']

gsp vs diaz would have been epic. still will be. assuming diaz runs through condit

when was the last time he fought a good jitz guy off his back? never so the ? still remains' date=' you cnt play that game....diaz has a dam good chance at beating ur boy, and i belive he will....

PS: Dnt u dare say BJ, cuz 3 things-

1.Bj is not good off his back in mma, we can all agree with that

2.GSP greased in the second fight

3.GSP layed on BJ in the first fight[/quote']

Touch?. I believe GSP beats him up from half guard and side control.

To be fair' date=' he hasn't fought a wrestler since to disprove it either.[/quote']

So it's a moot point. No sense in trying to bring up something from 6 years ago to prove a point today. Especially when your point is that since he hasn't faced a wrestler, he must still suck :rolleyes:

If anything, I could say that six years is a long time, and Diaz could have grown in his skills and experience.

So it's a moot point. No sense in trying to bring up something from 6 years ago to prove a point today. Especially when your point is that since he hasn't faced a wrestler' date=' he must still suck :rolleyes:

If anything, I could say that six years is a long time, and Diaz could have grown in his skills and experience.[/quote']

Fair enough. No doubt Diaz skills have improved dramatically but GSP takes down and controls elite level wrestlers. I guess we'll have to wait to see if GSP has good enough sub defense.

Fair enough. No doubt Diaz skills have improved dramatically but GSP takes down and controls elite level wrestlers. I guess we'll have to wait to see if GSP has good enough sub defense.

exactly which wrestlers that he's taken down and controlled are considered "elite"?

Archived