Should the UFC hold Exhibition Fights?

WACO

I personally think it's a great idea, and continues a long tradition in the fight world of setting up matches with special rules. I mean, how amazing was the Sakuraba vs Gracie fight with the no time limit? They shouldn't get too crazy, but it would be awesome to throw in a special Grappling Only or Striking Only fight at each major UFC. Imagine seeing Matt Hughes vs Georges St. Pierre Grappling Only, or Cung Le vs Anderson Silva Striking Only, the matchups are endless. They can even do a Legends of MMA fight, where you can have a rematch between Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie (Grappling Only), and it would be great, cuz you wouldn't have to really worry about either of them getting hurt, but we still get to see em go at it. Great way for returning fighters to shake off some ring rust too. I wouldn't want to see open weight matches, but more catch weight fights would be great.

It would just be such a crowd pleaser, and good for the sport I think. It'll really highlight each skill, and give a lot of exposure to a lot of fighters past and present. You could even bring in outside fighters, like from K1. How awesome would it be to see a rubber match between Alistair Overeem and Badr Hari in the Octagon? They would of course be wearing boxing gloves instead of mma gloves for the striking only, and for the grappling only matches, they can even wear their gi's or whatever they want

They would actually be real matches; not exhibition (so that they can actually be competitive and entertaining), that are just designated special rules, and there would be bonuses for wins, KO's, submissions and so on. They can go on the official record, just with an asterisk next to the win or loss.

I think this can really help to mix up the too often stale fight cards, and it's honestly what I miss the most about Pride, they did stuff like that all the time. I really miss the spectacle of it all.

I don't think its possible to have exhibition matches. These guys are way to competitive and as soon as one hits 80%' date=' the next guy throws 85%, then its on.[/quote']

It doesn't necessarily have to be exhibition, that's the only word I can think of, but it could just be special rules matches, call them whatever you like. They can even go on the official record, just with an asterisk next to the win or loss.

It would just be such a crowd pleaser, and good for the sport I think. It'll really highlight each skill, and give a lot of exposure to a lot of fighters past and present. You could even bring in outside fighters, like from K1. How awesome would it be to see a rubber match between Alistair Overeem and Badr Hari in the Octagon? They would of course be wearing boxing gloves instead of mma gloves for the striking only, and for the grappling only matches, they can even wear their gi's or whatever they want

I would like to see UFC embrace a little bit of spectacle. Fighters really have to worry all the time about "fighting smart" to not lose if they want a chance at a belt. Look at the Evans vs. Davis fight, we saw it there. Evans is rightfully being cautious to try to get his title shot because a loss can put him way back in line. Not many guys have balls like Rua and Hendo to get into an all-out brawl when each knows it will affect their chances at a belt.

Make some events and fights and let the fighters know the W or L won't affect their unspoken rank.

Set up some special events with fighters being given freedom to choose their fight gear, be it gi, just trunks, or wearing leggings as well. Don't be afraid to use a ring, it would create a different pace and style for a whole event. Be willing to let an injured champ return to a warm-up fight that doesn't put the title on the line. (I think ring rust has hurt a lot of returning fighters on injury)

I think especially now that UFC has partnered with Fox, make a clear differentiation between events. PPVs are for the prime competition, as are Fox events. Set up FX cards with entertainment as the goal, so the fighters that are willing to be risky can put on a great show and not feel penalized and forced to wait on a title chance for a L that was an amazing performance.

No. There is absolutely no need for the UFC to hold these gimmick fights. What's the point of putting 2 completely irrelevant fighters in a fight that has no bearing towards anything? (Shamrock/Gracie in mind) And there is no point, hell it's plain stupid, to even suggest having GSP, or any legit UFC fighter, in a gimmick match.

maia v paul harris grappling ' date=' diaz v gsp striking only (even tho he could beat him with mma rules i just wanna see gsp get more raped)[/quote']

Of course seeing GSP involved in any sexual act, forced or otherwise, would make you drool all over yourself, ***. GSP/Diaz striking only? Diaz would get murdered. Diaz has pitter pat punches, that's it. GSP is easily the more well rounded striker, you idiot.

Of course seeing GSP involved in any sexual act' date=' forced or otherwise, would make you drool all over yourself, ***. GSP/Diaz striking only? Diaz would get murdered. Diaz has pitter pat punches, that's it. GSP is easily the more well rounded striker, you idiot.[/quote']

Diaz easily has better offensive boxing then GSP.

DIAZ_ZAROMSKIS_STRIKEFORCE.jpg

diazvsnoons.jpg

Nick-DIaz.jpg

and i hate to post this 1 as a huge BJ fan...

Penn_face_large.jpg

Pitter Pat right? *rolls eyes*

Of course seeing GSP involved in any sexual act' date=' forced or otherwise, would make you drool all over yourself, ***. GSP/Diaz striking only? Diaz would get murdered. Diaz has pitter pat punches, that's it. GSP is easily the more well rounded striker, you idiot.[/quote']

lol thats cute, did u just get into mma?

Archived