The first 'well rounded' fighter

UFCCagerattler

The first guy I can remember who would be considered well-rounded was the Marcos Rua - the King of the Streets.

He had some great BJJ - especially his leg locks and heel hooks - and he could also strike. He literally chopped guys down with leg kicks. He could also throw hands.

I have been lobbying for years to get Ruas into the Hall of Fame or whatever it is they call it. He really deserves to be there. He was the prototype for what we now call a well rounded fighter.

The first guy I can remember who would be considered well-rounded was the Marcos Rua - the King of the Streets.

He had some great BJJ - especially his leg locks and heel hooks - and he could also strike. He literally chopped guys down with leg kicks. He could also throw hands.

I have been lobbying for years to get Ruas into the Hall of Fame or whatever it is they call it. He really deserves to be there. He was the prototype for what we now call a well rounded fighter.

Yeah Ruas was one of the first along with Don Frye, Mo Smith and Bas.

I think Ruas is already in the hall of fame or maybe that was before Lorenzo purchased the UFC. I seem to recall Severn, Ruas, Royce, Ken and a few other legends having some kind of cermony being inducted.

Actually IMO, M. Ruas was about 75% well rounded: amazing bjj, excellent thai leg kicks, but well below average boxing-he barely threw punches and worried profusely when he got punched in the face by wiping his face with his hand constantly. I appreciated his bjj a lot though.

Actually IMO' date=' M. Ruas was about 75% well rounded: amazing bjj, excellent thai leg kicks, but well below average boxing-he barely threw punches and worried profusely when he got punched in the face by wiping his face with his hand constantly. I appreciated his bjj a lot though.[/quote']

His boxing was good not great though.

It's just that old school bare knuckle style where if you don't pick your shots you break your hand easy, especially early in the fight and he was fighting massive HW's.

He did wipe his face alot though lol but bare knuckles cut easy.

His boxing was good not great though.

It's just that old school bare knuckle style where if you don't pick your shots you break your hand easy' date=' especially early in the fight and he was fighting massive HW's.

He did wipe his face alot though lol but bare knuckles cut easy.[/quote']

Stomp, imo the first well rounded fighter imo was Oleg Taktarov. He had good boxing skills, good kickboxing, excellent clinch wrestling, and excellent jujitsu such as knee bars, ankle locks, arm bars, etc. :)

Oleg teaching Sambo arm bar escapes:

Jon Hess. How do people not remember SAFTA (Scientific and Aggressive Fighting Systems of America)? That was the first martial art combination shown in MMA you fools! Also' date=' Hess' conditioning was the greatest of all time.[/quote']

What about Bruce Lee's JKD if you want to go old school.

Jon Hess sucked btw. I remember watching him get tooled by Vitor in brazil.

Actually IMO' date=' M. Ruas was about 75% well rounded: amazing bjj, excellent thai leg kicks, but well below average boxing-he barely threw punches and worried profusely when he got punched in the face by wiping his face with his hand constantly. I appreciated his bjj a lot though.[/quote']

+1

His hands were not good at all.... I remember a lot of slaps actually. He was the first guy to incorporate foot stomps into the UFC though. He was good everywhere but boxing.

What about Bruce Lee's JKD if you want to go old school.

Jon Hess sucked btw. I remember watching him get tooled by Vitor in brazil.

First' date=' I said, "shown in MMA," second, Hess sucked? BLASPHEMY!!1!!1! :mad:

Hess was in one of the most technical battles to ever take place in the sport, honestly, I think he should be in the UFC HoF for being one of the first to bring his own personal style to the Octagon. Royce brought his family's style, but Hess brought his [b']own[/b], Hess also has never been defeated in the UFC.

Ruas is not well rounded,to be well rounded you also have to be able to avoid all skills.The only guys that are really good are GSP and Jones.Just because GSP doesn't stand and trade like a dummy just because the fans want that,dopes not mean he can't strike.

I feel Wrestling has proven on more than one occasion that is nullifies or is even better than BJJ.look no further than Maia losing to Weidman,maia is suppose to be a world class BJJ guy.

Silva would have been the first well rounded,but we have seen just how poorly he is rated versus wrestling.

BJ Penn is another that comes to mind,he has striking,albeit all of MMA is kinda weak in the striking department.It is because of the small gloves that fighters do not like to risk trading blow for blow,it is imo a dumb strategy.

GSP has the complete package,he is not a superstar in some aspects,but he can deliver and more important he can nullify all skills.We can't forget that cardio,quickness,agility are all part of the complete package.

Oleg was good but Marco was better imo. Oleg's kickboxing wasn't that good and he didn't develop some solid boxing skills till much later.

He had alot of holes in his game too. Fricken Renzo KO'ed him. That never would have happened to Marco.

You know they had fight in the ufc and Oleg won, Right.

I agree his striking wasn't what we would call very good today but compare it to Royce Gracie.

Archived