Palhares scared of Maia?

XanderAjax

He was still banged up and recovering from his last fight and supposedly turned it down being too short notice.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/19/2718554/demian-maia-didnt-want-to-fight-palhares-due-to-lack-of-brazilian

"It was rumored (a fight with Palhares), but I thought there would not be any possibilities (of it happening), because he just fought, it doesn't make sense for him to throw himself into another fight right now. "Toquinho" trained a few months for this fight. Just because it was fast doesn't mean there were no wear and tears. But I don't even think about that. To be honest, the Brazilian fans should be more worried about seeing us fighting foreigners. There are (only) a few Brazilian fighters in the division and I think that, aside of the title, since it's Anderson who is the champion, the Brazilians should not face each other."

This is what maia said though according to and interview from Via SporTV^^

So neither wanted the fight.

He was still banged up and recovering from his last fight and supposedly turned it down being too short notice.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/19/2718554/demian-maia-didnt-want-to-fight-palhares-due-to-lack-of-brazilian

"It was rumored (a fight with Palhares)' date=' but I thought there would not be any possibilities (of it happening), because he just fought, it doesn't make sense for him to throw himself into another fight right now. "Toquinho" trained a few months for this fight. Just because it was fast doesn't mean there were no wear and tears. But I don't even think about that. To be honest, the Brazilian fans should be more worried about seeing us fighting foreigners. There are (only) a few Brazilian fighters in the division and I think that, aside of the title, since it's Anderson who is the champion, the Brazilians should not face each other."

So neither wanted the fight.[/quote']

That's hard for me to read. I'd really like to see this fight.

5704951666_1e8204915a.jpg

Leban took a fight 2 weeks after winning a fight. Most consider him an average fighter while many on here consider Palhares to be the MW champ by the years end. I'm simply saying, that according to the fanboys here, Palhares should've stepped up and ripped Maia's leg off like he would do to the other guys in the top 10.

Leban took a fight 2 weeks after winning a fight. Most consider him an average fighter while many on here consider Palhares to be the MW champ by the years end. I'm simply saying' date=' that according to the fanboys here, Palhares should've stepped up and ripped Maia's leg off like he would do to the other guys in the top 10.[/quote']

Nothing wrong with turning down a short notice fight especially if you're banged up.

Maybe now he can take his time and heal his injuries so he's ready for his next fight so he won't need pain killers like Leben.

He did the right thing. Haters be damned.

Nothing wrong with turning down a short notice fight especially if you're banged up.

Maybe now he can take his time and heal his injuries so he's ready for his next fight so he won't need pain killers like Leben.

He did the right thing. Haters be damned.

Of course there is nothing wrong with turning down a fight on short notice. My personal opinion is that he would've beat Maia that fight considering Maia looked like crap. However, with all his fanboys on this forum I haven't seen anything from them about this when supposedly everyone is ducking him even if they weren't offered to fight him.

Of course there is nothing wrong with turning down a fight on short notice. My personal opinion is that he would've beat Maia that fight considering Maia looked like crap. However' date=' with all his fanboys on this forum I haven't seen anything from them about this when supposedly everyone is ducking him even if they weren't offered to fight him.[/quote']

Palhares is definitely a feared man and with good reason he is a monster.

If he improves his standup to blend with his wrestling better he's gonna be hard to beat.

Palhares is definitely a feared man and with good reason he is a monster.

If he improves his standup to blend with his wrestling better he's gonna be hard to beat.

He is good at leg locks. His standup is decent. If he doesn't improve in his stand-up then he will be like all the other 1 trick ponies. If Palhares can't take the guy down then he will lose. He won't be champion this year and probably won't get a title shot this year considering it will be June when Silva/Sonnen fight.

Did you even see Maia in his last fight?

Who on EARTH could be scared of THAT?

Palhares would destroy him standing

Enters the man who can't read the previous 5 posts. :rolleyes:

"It was rumored (a fight with Palhares)' date=' but I thought there would not be any possibilities (of it happening), because he just fought, it doesn't make sense for him to throw himself into another fight right now. "Toquinho" trained a few months for this fight. Just because it was fast doesn't mean there were no wear and tears. But I don't even think about that. To be honest, the Brazilian fans should be more worried about seeing us fighting foreigners. There are (only) a few Brazilian fighters in the division and I think that, aside of the title, since it's Anderson who is the champion, the Brazilians should not face each other."

So neither wanted the fight.[/quote']

Haha beat me to it i was going to post that. Besides Maia there are tons of good fights out there for him. Personally, i would like to see him rip off the arm of Alan Belcher that has that awful tat on it.

He is good at leg locks. His standup is decent. If he doesn't improve in his stand-up then he will be like all the other 1 trick ponies. If Palhares can't take the guy down then he will lose. He won't be champion this year and probably won't get a title shot this year considering it will be June when Silva/Sonnen fight.

Enters the man who can't read the previous 5 posts. :rolleyes:

I think the point that you so obviously missed is that it's OBVIOUS Palhares isn't scared of Maia but rather had an obvious reason to not taking the fight.

The whole scared thing is stupid.

I think the point that you so obviously missed is that it's OBVIOUS Palhares isn't scared of Maia but rather had an obvious reason to not taking the fight.

The whole scared thing is stupid.

Thank you sir. It appears you didn't get any of what I said. Sarcasm was too well done for you to understand apparently.

You see, I made this thread in response to all the threads saying this fighter and that fighter is scared/ducking/ blah blah blah Palhares because he would rip their legs off. The difference is that Palhares was actually offered the fight and turned it down whereas the other fighters "ducking/scared/blah blah blah" were never offered a fight against him. In conclusion, no i do not think he is scared of Maia nor do I think fighters are scared of him except for the fact that he can't seem to understand when he needs to let go of a submission. The "this person is ducking or scared of that person" is all stupid. Get it now or do I need to explain it better?

In b4 shinsplint comes and rips your **** off.

Tell him to bring it on. I want to get the fanboys input on this. I need them to explain to me how everyone is ducking Palhares when they don't get asked to fight him and Palhares is ducking nobody when he is asked to fight Maia and turns it down. Blind favoritism? I think so.

Thank you sir. It appears you didn't get any of what I said. Sarcasm was too well done for you to understand apparently.

You see' date=' I made this thread in response to all the threads saying this fighter and that fighter is scared/ducking/ blah blah blah Palhares because he would rip their legs off. The difference is that Palhares was actually offered the fight and turned it down whereas the other fighters "ducking/scared/blah blah blah" were never offered a fight against him. In conclusion, no i do not think he is scared of Maia nor do I think fighters are scared of him except for the fact that he can't seem to understand when he needs to let go of a submission. The "this person is ducking or scared of that person" is all stupid. Get it now or do I need to explain it better?[/quote']

well considering I've never seen any of those other threads I wouldn't have known so I apologize then. But to be fair, there's literally no way to see you're being sarcastic in the first post

well considering I've never seen any of those other threads I wouldn't have known so I apologize then. But to be fair' date=' there's literally no way to see you're being sarcastic in the first post[/quote']

If you haven't seen the posts flooding the forum after every Palhares fight, then you wouldn't have caught the sarcasm so oh well. Every time he wins a fight against some mediocre fighter he can suddenly submit every person in the UFC. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Again, for the record, I do think he would've beat Maia because Maia did look like crap.

If you haven't seen the posts flooding the forum after every Palhares fight' date=' then you wouldn't have caught the sarcasm so oh well. Every time he wins a fight against some mediocre fighter he can suddenly submit every person in the UFC. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Again, for the record, I do think he would've beat Maia because Maia did look like crap.[/quote']

I know, I really wanted to see a Maia vs Palhares fight too hoping that maybe I'd see the greatest ground game war to date, but then I saw Maia fight like he did and I realized it wouldn't even be much of a fight.

I think a lot of the reason people like Palhares so much is because he finishes fights quickly and decisively. He's ALWAYS looking for a submission, there is no BS on the ground with him. That's a rare find.

If you haven't seen the posts flooding the forum after every Palhares fight' date=' then you wouldn't have caught the sarcasm so oh well. Every time he wins a fight against some mediocre fighter he can suddenly submit every person in the UFC. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Again, for the record, I do think he would've beat Maia because Maia did look like crap.[/quote']

Palhares has elite world class bjj on top of this he's a physical beast. He can definitely submit anyone at MW and im sure he could submit alot of LHW's and HW's if it goes to the round he is dangerous against anyone.

Does it mean he will submit everyone NO but he definitely can.

To be honest, I don't think Maia can hang with Palhares on the ground anyway. He'd pose the best threat, but I think Palhares has him beat.

Not because of what Palhares does inside the octagon, but because of what he does OUTSIDE in training. He submits the guys who don't get submitted. And he doesn't just submit them over a long period of time, he does it ridiculously fast.

If you've ever seen clips or videos or interviews of people who train with him or know him they will tell you that there's no one like him. He's a freak of nature on the ground.

Of course there is nothing wrong with turning down a fight on short notice. My personal opinion is that he would've beat Maia that fight considering Maia looked like crap. However' date=' with all his fanboys on this forum I haven't seen anything from them about this when supposedly everyone is ducking him even if they weren't offered to fight him.[/quote']

I'm tracking with you bro. Very true.

I know' date=' I really wanted to see a Maia vs Palhares fight too hoping that maybe I'd see the greatest ground game war to date, but then I saw Maia fight like he did and I realized it wouldn't even be much of a fight.

I think a lot of the reason people like Palhares so much is because he finishes fights quickly and decisively. He's ALWAYS looking for a submission, there is no BS on the ground with him. That's a rare find.[/quote']

Agreed. I like the guy but I think he needs a little bit of control. I started not to like him when everyone was touting him this unbeatable fighter.

Palhares has elite world class bjj on top of this he's a physical beast. He can definitely submit anyone at MW and im sure he could submit alot of LHW's and HW's if it goes to the round he is dangerous against anyone.

Does it mean he will submit everyone NO but he definitely can.

He probably could submit some LHW's and HW's with a leg hook (after all, he rarely uses anything else in the Octagon because it is so effective), but the problem lies in the what if he can't get their leg? We saw in the Nate fight that if he couldn't get the leg or even thinks the guy is greasing he loses his focus. You can't do that in the UFC.

Archived