Mike Tyson Vs. George Foreman Prime fight

Tiemo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a very interesting match up. Tyson was a lot faster then Foreman. Tyson had a better gas tank. Tyson's chin was underrated, because he didn't need it very often. Even the washed up Tyson took a tremendous beating from Lenox Lewis before he finally quit. He wasn't knocked unconscious. Foreman was dropped by Ron Lyle, and hurt by Gerry Cooney. They were both bullies who couldn't handle it when their opponent stood up to them.Maybe Tyson if he had Cus D'Amato as his trainer.

That would be a very interesting match up. Tyson was a lot faster then Foreman. Tyson had a better gas tank. Tyson's chin was underrated' date=' because he didn't need it very often. Even the washed up Tyson took a tremendous beating from Lenox Lewis before he finally quit. He wasn't knocked unconscious. Foreman was dropped by Ron Lyle, and hurt by Gerry Cooney. They were both bullies who couldn't handle it when their opponent stood up to them.Maybe Tyson if he had Cus D'Amato as his trainer.[/quote']

+1 good post.

I think Tyson could have beaten anyone in his prime. He had the speed of a welterweight. George Hit hard though, alot harder than most of Tysons opponents. Your right though it would all be about who is training Tyson.

That would be a very interesting match up. Tyson was a lot faster then Foreman. Tyson had a better gas tank. Tyson's chin was underrated' date=' because he didn't need it very often. Even the washed up Tyson took a tremendous beating from Lenox Lewis before he finally quit. He wasn't knocked unconscious. Foreman was dropped by Ron Lyle, and hurt by Gerry Cooney. They were both bullies who couldn't handle it when their opponent stood up to them.Maybe Tyson if he had Cus D'Amato as his trainer.[/quote']

What do u mean goerge could not handle it when he was not the bully...he beat both those guy very early in the fight i believe

Part not ment to classicboxer:

I believe forman was indeed a better boxer after his loss to ali...he learned in that fight his power will not win him ever fight...after that he develpoed an solid jab and an even better right str8 (something ppl him his camp told him he need to do 4 many years it seem)

Eventhough he would not gain back the title for a long long time he still fought and beat some tough guys one being smokin joe again

So i think its not so much as prime but where at in thier prime...if it geroge after his loss to ali i think he take it...but if its be4 ali he loss (which was in prime physically but not skill wise prime)

But i gotta agree with classic here on if cus is in tyson corner who knows

What do u mean goerge could not handle it when he was not the bully...he beat both those guy very early in the fight i believe

Part not ment to classicboxer:

I believe forman was indeed a better boxer after his loss to ali...he learned in that fight his power will not win him ever fight...after that he develpoed an solid jab and an even better right str8 (something ppl him his camp told him he need to do 4 many years it seem)

Eventhough he would not gain back the title for a long long time he still fought and beat some tough guys one being smokin joe again

So i think its not so much as prime but where at in thier prime...if it geroge after his loss to ali i think he take it...but if its be4 ali he loss (which was in prime physically but not skill wise prime)

But i gotta agree with classic here on if cus is in tyson corner who knows

Shortly after Foreman lost to Ali, he lost to Jimmy Young. He then retired. He came back several years later, and was a solid, above average fighter, but not the best. He lost to Holyfield, and even Tommy Morrison. He then got a lucky break and was given the opportunity to fight Michael Moorer for the heavyweight title, which he won. He was extremely fortunate to get the chance to fight such a weak champion, and he took advantage. The Ron Lyle fight was a back and forth brawl where they both got knocked down, and both took a beating before Foreman got the KO- I think it was around round 5.

Shortly after Foreman lost to Ali' date=' he lost to Jimmy Young. He then retired. He came back several years later, and was a solid, above average fighter, but not the best. He lost to Holyfield, and even Tommy Morrison. He then got a lucky break and was given the opportunity to fight Michael Moorer for the heavyweight title, which he won. He was extremely fortunate to get the chance to fight such a weak champion, and he took advantage. The Ron Lyle fight was a back and forth brawl where they both got knocked down, and both took a beating before Foreman got the KO- I think it was around round 5.[/quote']

Yah he did...but would u not agree he was a better "boxer" after his lost to ali...he even beat joe again and a few other good names

Im saying he was a better boxer after ali and add that with his non diminished physacal talents he was a beast

The first time he beat joe he just muscled him in a since...but in the second fight he looked even better...thats all im saying

George after the ali fight would beat tyson (its a big if but if cus is not in tyson corner)

Yah he did...but would u not agree he was a better "boxer" after his lost to ali...he even beat joe again and a few other good names

Im saying he was a better boxer after ali and add that with his non diminished physacal talents he was a beast

The first time he beat joe he just muscled him in a since...but in the second fight he looked even better...thats all im saying

George after the ali fight would beat tyson (its a big if but if cus is not in tyson corner)

You make good points, but I have to disagree that the post Ali- fight Foreman would beat Tyson. I think the pre Ali fight Foreman would beat the post Ali fight Foreman.

Call me crazy but I think Foreman was even better when he made his comeback. Not physically but he fought smarter, had better defense and was more dangerous imo.

I also think Tyson was much better way before he won the belt. When Cus was still around and he was around 19-0 he was a bad mofo. He was lighting fast used incredible movement and threw many combinations.

Don't know it would win but it would be an interesting fight.

Call me crazy but I think Foreman was even better when he made his comeback. Not physically but he fought smarter' date=' had better defense and was more dangerous imo.

I also think Tyson was much better way before he won the belt. When Cus was still around and he was around 19-0 he was a bad mofo. He was lighting fast used incredible movement and threw many combinations.

Don't know it would win but it would be an interesting fight.[/quote']

I agree..

Want to see what Foreman does to little hws go watch what he did too Frazier.

Lifting him off the canvas with head shots.

Actually Frazier/Tyson would have been epic - but Foreman/Tyson is a slaughter.

Seen it.. Its all speculation just IMO Forman would be swinging at air getting hit with combos. If Forman got past the 6th it would swing in his favor cause Tyson has a respiratory problem and gasses but think Tyson would finish him early.

Agreed.

Foreman would expose Tyson. The lack of HW talent when Tyson was king makes it difficult to tell how good he really was.

Who here thinks Tyson was better then Evander? I know Tyson was past his prime, but he had nothing for him.

Agreed.

Foreman would expose Tyson. The lack of HW talent when Tyson was king makes it difficult to tell how good he really was.

Who here thinks Tyson was better then Evander? I know Tyson was past his prime' date=' but he had nothing for him.[/quote']

Tyson better than Evander? if you look at the accumulated record ... Evander. If you look at raw talent and potential .. Tyson. It's an impossible question. Tyson was such a headcase just before the B. Douglas fight. Mike is not a dumb guy, he just had alot of issues mentally that did not allow him to mature as a fighter, anger being the main one of them.

Maybe but i wouldn't compare Frazier to Tyson even though thier styles were similar they were very different. Tyson had much better movement in his prime and had faster combinations.

Everyone talks about Tyson didn't face anyone blah blah blah but rarely mention all the bums Ali etc. fought.

On G's point about Evander some fighters just have your number especially fighters that like to headbutt. Evander was a good boxer and had the right strategy to deal with a one punch head hunting Tyson who was a shadow of his former self when they fought.

Im not convinced Foreman would definitely beat Tyson. Im not convinced Evander would beat a pre- Cus death Tyson.

Tyson better than Evander? if you look at the accumulated record ... Evander. If you look at raw talent and potential .. Tyson. It's an impossible question. Tyson was such a headcase just before the B. Douglas fight. Mike is not a dumb guy' date=' he just had alot of issues mentally that did not allow him to mature as a fighter, anger being the main one of them.[/quote']

I think Evander was a much better boxer. The sweet science of boxing. Tyson was a puncher. Tyson may have had the potential, but the fact is, he was a headcase. All of those things factor in to who I rank higher on an all time list.

I would say Foreman, Fraizer and Ali are all ranked higher then Mike. Just my opinion.

I am not sure that Tyson could beat the Kenny Norton that fought Ali three times.

Maybe but i wouldn't compare Frazier to Tyson even though thier styles were similar they were very different. Tyson had much better movement in his prime and had faster combinations.

Everyone talks about Tyson didn't face anyone blah blah blah but rarely mention all the bums Ali etc. fought.

On G's point about Evander some fighters just have your number especially fighters that like to headbutt. Evander was a good boxer and had the right strategy to deal with a one punch head hunting Tyson who was a shadow of his former self when they fought.

Im not convinced Foreman would definitely beat Tyson. Im not convinced Evander would beat a pre- Cus death Tyson.

I would give Tyson zero chance of beatng Joe Frazier.

None.

Foreman lost to Tommy Morrison right before he fought Michael Moorer for the title. I hope that Foreman doesn't show up!

That was not the Foreman we are talking about though.

We are talking prime. The Ali era Foreman.

Ali beat him because of the rope a dope. Tyson was not that smart.

The simple answer is just look at 2 fights.

Look what a prime Foreman did to Joe Frazier. A compact power puncher with a decent jab and a lights out left hook.

And look how Tyson fared against Douglas or later in his career, Lewis. Tall, accurate punchers who weren't scared.

end of thread.

George is an all time top 5 HW, Tyson might barely crack the top 10

Look what a prime Foreman did to Joe Frazier. A compact power puncher with a decent jab and a lights out left hook.

And look how Tyson fared against Douglas or later in his career' date=' Lewis. Tall, accurate punchers who weren't scared.

end of thread.

George is an all time top 5 HW, Tyson might barely crack the top 10[/quote']

I agree 100%

Pretty much this. Tyson and Foreman both had legit power so the KO punch could easily come from either guy. but Tyson had a good speed advantage. This fight could come down to who takes more shots and keeps in it or come down to who lands the hard shot first. I would pick Tyson but this fight is kind of a toss up.

And look how Tyson fared against Douglas or later in his career' date=' Lewis. Tall, accurate punchers who weren't scared.

end of thread.

George is an all time top 5 HW, Tyson might barely crack the top 10[/quote']

You're wrong. Like you say, "later in his career." I like Foreman, but he's definitely not top 5.

Ali

Johnson

Louis

Marciano

Dempsey or Tyson

Tyson doesn't mak ethe top 5 ahead of Foreman' date=' he doesn't even make it ahead of Fraiser, Lewis, Holyfield, Liston or Holmes[/quote']

When Tyson was 19-0 with 19 knockouts, 12 first round knockouts, he was on his way to being an all time great. When Tyson was 37-0 with 33 knockouts, he was all time top 5. Even though he fell apart after that, I can't just ignore what he did. The Tyson who was the original baddest man on the planet was all time top 5.

When Tyson was 19-0 with 19 knockouts' date=' 12 first round knockouts, he was on his way to being an all time great. When Tyson was 37-0 with 33 knockouts, he was all time top 5. Even though he fell apart after that, I can't just ignore what he did. The Tyson who was the original baddest man on the planet was all time top 5.[/quote']

I agree with you. Tyson is top 5 at number 5 or 4 at best. It's sad that he just imploded mentally. He would have been such a force if he was stable mentally.

When Tyson was 19-0 with 19 knockouts' date=' 12 first round knockouts, he was on his way to being an all time great. When Tyson was 37-0 with 33 knockouts, he was all time top 5. Even though he fell apart after that, I can't just ignore what he did. The Tyson who was the original baddest man on the planet was all time top 5.[/quote']You mean the Tyson who was getting hand picked opponents and over the hill ex champs.

I think Evander was a much better boxer. The sweet science of boxing. Tyson was a puncher. Tyson may have had the potential' date=' but the fact is, he was a headcase. All of those things factor in to who I rank higher on an all time list.

I would say Foreman, Fraizer and Ali are all ranked higher then Mike. Just my opinion.

I am not sure that Tyson could beat the Kenny Norton that fought Ali three times.[/quote']

Cant agree more...foreman was just better in almost everyway after the ali fight but headmovement and footwork..but with his reach he and his new jab at the time he would win

You mean the Tyson who was getting hand picked opponents and over the hill ex champs.

He actually unified the championship by beating 3 champs who were holding the belts of the 3 organizations at the time, not ex-champs, champs! Every great champion tends to have a record that looks kind of weak, because their opponents never become champions. There are a lot of under appreciated contenders who never receive the proper respect simply because they never beat the dominating champion of their era.

Cant agree more...foreman was just better in almost everyway after the ali fight but headmovement and footwork..but with his reach he and his new jab at the time he would win

Holyfield was a great warrior, but he was also one of the dirtiest fighters of all time. His favorite combination was left hook, right cross, headbutt!

Holyfield was a great warrior' date=' but he was also one of the dirtiest fighters of all time. His favorite combination was left hook, right cross, headbutt![/quote']

And biting ppl ears off is only done by gentalmen in the right

Truly a class act...when i have a son ill show him tape of tyson fights and say

"son see that...thats how a man is ment to be respectful and fight with honor"

A lil over the top iknwo...but u get my point i hope

And biting ppl ears off is only done by gentalmen in the right

Truly a class act...when i have a son ill show him tape of tyson fights and say

"son see that...thats how a man is ment to be respectful and fight with honor"

A lil over the top iknwo...but u get my point i hope

Of course all of the Tyson hate is 100% true, and I understand, he deserves it. I just tend to see Tyson's career as two different careers, the great fighter with Cus D'Amato, and the train wreck after D'Amato died.

Of course all of the Tyson hate is 100% true' date=' and I understand, he deserves it. I just tend to see Tyson's career as two different careers, the great fighter with Cus D'Amato, and the train wreck after D'Amato died.[/quote']

Yah there is a big diffrence...its a shame he fought better guys after cus died..

But i feel the same for foreman after the ali fight....2 diffrent fighter

Archived