Phil Davis vrs Machida or Shogun?

JonesyUK

Who would you rather see Phil Davis fight next, Shogun or Machida?

Fights makes sense for a number reasons, not least because all top ten guys bar Griffin and Hendo are currently booked to fight. I cannot see UFC booking either Shogun or Machida to fight anyone outside of the top ten.

All three guys are coming off losses, UFC like to pair up winners and losers in fights.

It would be interesting to see how both Machida and Shogun will do against Davis, who physically is similar to JBJ and whose wrestling is strong, but without the striking skills of JBJ.

Myself, I am thinking Davis v Shogun and Machida v Hendo :cool:

I think both guys would beat Davis...worse than Rashad did.

But I dont think that Joe Silva will put him up against either guy. I think he will give Davis someone with name recognition but whos more beat-able than Machida or Shogun so he can get his confidence level back up.

I personally wouldnt mind him fighting the winner or loser of Vera vs. Silva.

Davis should be like Hamil in the prelims after that performance.

The thing is that with wins over Lil Nog and Gustafsson, the two guys who are probably occupying the rank 9th and 10th positions in the division, how can you demote Davis to non-top ten competition after losing to the rank 2 guy...

A fight against Shogun or Machida makes sense in my eyes, no point in building him up again against lower ranked guys

I think after his last fight - rather, I hope for his sake - that Davis has abandoned his hopes of training any offensive standup and focuses on wrestling and submissions. If he lost in the standup to Evans, imagine what Shogun could do to him. While I'm convinced that Shogun is far and away the better striker, I imagine Machida would be a worse match up for him. Machida would stuff his takedown and utterly demolish him in the standup. It would be a more than humiliating defeat for Davis, and it would send him right out of the top ten.

Archived