Shouldn't all contender fights be 5 rounds?

Pigs-On-The-Wing

looking at it with main events being 5 rounds isn't it for lack of a better word where some non contender fights are 5 rounds when #1 contender fights can sometimes be only 3.

As an example we have

Guida vs Bendo ( 3 rounds ) Sonnen vs Bisping ( 3 rounds )

Then we have Shogun Hendo ( 5 rounds-non contender fight ), gonna have Miller vs Diaz as ( 5 rounds, not stated as contender fight yet )

jus saying there should be some consistency. If you a fight away for the title you should be going 5 rounds if other main events are gonna have 5 rounds who aren't even next in line for a title.

I agree. The only problem would be with all the injuries atm no. 1 contender fights are not always obvious.

But it is a bit wrong atm where you could theorectically have a no.1 contender match as a co main event at 3 rounds, and two old guys who once were big names slogging it out for 5.

difficult due to costs associated with tv time and getting in advertising space.

not really they could either

A. put the #1 contender fight on a different card to headline (Sonnen Bisping could have easily headlined)

B. Theyd be able to figure out how to fit it in. They've done a couple cards with 5 fights on it with 2 of them being championship fights.

It makes it too inconsistent and is not good for the sport

i guess i don't care as much about how many rounds ( i lean more towards 5 these days ) but they need to keep it consistent.

Could you imagine if Okami vs Marquardt was 5 rounds? Look what 5 round fighting did to GSP. I guess it would depend on who is fighting but it has more potential for boring fights IMO.

not really they could either

A. put the #1 contender fight on a different card to headline (Sonnen Bisping could have easily headlined)

B. Theyd be able to figure out how to fit it in. They've done a couple cards with 5 fights on it with 2 of them being championship fights.

It makes it too inconsistent and is not good for the sport

A. - yes, they can do that, however there are often many variables to setting up timing of fights including visas, training camps, injuries, cards that already have booked main events, fighters availability etc.

B. - you are talking PPV which is completely different from tv as it does not have set times that the network must break for commercials in order to pay for the product it is airing.

Archived