Why cant boxing and MMA co-exist

Hurzy

I know that both sports are fighting for the same audience for the most part, but both sports are completely different. I will admit im a much bigger fan of the MMA, but boxing is boxing. Its changed a lot in the contact sports world and probably served as an accidental embassedor for other contact sports like MMA.

I for one will never forget the rumble in the jungle or the great fights that legends like living boxing legends like Cotto have put on for us.(go ahead and give me hate for naming him...just thought it was cliche to name the obvious like Pacman, etc.). Not to mention the retired boxers like Ali, Sugar ray, and Tyson have given us.

If anything, boxing has helped set the stage for MMA, and now MMA is running the stage for the most part. Anyone else think that they can co-exist or will one sport (most likely boxing) turn the other into an after-thought?

I know that both sports are fighting for the same audience for the most part' date=' but both sports are completely different. I will admit im a much bigger fan of the MMA, but boxing is boxing. Its changed a lot in the contact sports world and probably served as an accidental embassedor for other contact sports like MMA.

I for one will never forget the rumble in the jungle or the great fights that legends like living boxing legends like Cotto have put on for us.(go ahead and give me hate for naming him...just thought it was cliche to name the obvious like Pacman, etc.). Not to mention the retired boxers like Ali, Sugar ray, and Tyson have given us.

If anything, boxing has helped set the stage for MMA, and now MMA is running the stage for the most part. Anyone else think that they can co-exist or will one sport (most likely boxing) turn the other into an after-thought?[/quote']

It's an evolution. Boxing is great and I am a boxing fan, however it only has one aspect of fighting which is, obviously, boxing.

I like MMA more because it encompasses a much larger skill set and reaches a wider audience.

I think they can co-exist, Slowly though as time passes more people will turn to MMA than boxing.

It can co-exist...but it will take time and the maturing of both partys (namly the heads of boxing)...mma has learned from boxing...now boxing has to admit it needs to do the same

I believe in the future we will start to see some cross over even more...some boxer have came over and some mma guy have tried boxing...the number is little when compared to the kickboxing-mma cross over and the wrestling-mma crossover and the biggest bjj-mma cross over...but it will grow in time, james toney was the first to do this as a true big name but in 10 years it will be more nromal...u just got to wait

It can co-exist...but it will take time and the maturing of both partys (namly the heads of boxing)...mma has learned from boxing...now boxing has to admit it needs to do the same

I believe in the future we will start to see some cross over even more...some boxer have came over and some mma guy have tried boxing...the number is little when compared to the kickboxing-mma cross over and the wrestling-mma crossover and the biggest bjj-mma cross over...but it will grow in time' date=' james toney was the first to do this as a true big name but in 10 years it will be more nromal...u just got to wait[/quote']

yeah well said. Maybe arum(spelling?) just needs to retire as a boxing promoter...I bet that alone would help a lot.

The thing is...I enjoy both sports...mma more than boxing..but I still like to watch high level boxing fights. It just seems like those are becoming more few and far between as mma takes over.

yeah well said. Maybe arum(spelling?) just needs to retire as a boxing promoter...I bet that alone would help a lot.

The thing is...I enjoy both sports...mma more than boxing..but I still like to watch high level boxing fights. It just seems like those are becoming more few and far between as mma takes over.

Yah ur right...ppl think dana white is bad...this guy arum is the devil lol

I love both aswell...but i stopped watching the top level guys cuz of all the greedy and most fighter change once they make it big these day

I used to train in boxing...one guy who i was lucky to work with franado gurerro (spelling) was an animal in the gym and the ring...but when he got the belt (NABO) and was on tv all the time he changed...he now fighting not to win but not to lose cuz he does not wanna lose his lifestyle

Im like the guy who love college basketball but hates the nba...there is more passion in the mid level guys to me...they fight for a real purpose if u get me

I see one bright spot for boxing that MMA doesn't have. Some boxers are starting to control their own careers, and calling their own shots as to who and when they fight. It started with De La Hoya, now Mayweather. A few days ago, there was a UFC thread that said Jones wanted to move to heavyweight, but the UFC told him he couldn't. If that's true, that's just like old school boxing, where the fighters have no control.

I see one bright spot for boxing that MMA doesn't have. Some boxers are starting to control their own careers' date=' and calling their own shots as to who and when they fight. It started with De La Hoya, now Mayweather. A few days ago, there was a UFC thread that said Jones wanted to move to heavyweight, but the UFC told him he couldn't. If that's true, that's just like old school boxing, where the fighters have no control.[/quote']

Ur right...this is a good point...but dana fears this

Another example is rich franklin...he has spent his whole career doing what dana asks of him...fighting injured...fighting on short notice...but when he lose his title to silva and lost the second time he still wanted to stay at MW where he felt he was a contender or top level fighter...but dana forced him to move up to lhw knowing rich didnt want to...well rich still did what dana need of him going against the best intrests of himslef...and the second he turned down a fight (first time in his ufc career) the fan turned on him and called him a ducker...this is a rare case where boxing is better then mma

If fighter take a more controling aspect over thier career the ufc fears that some may even leave the promo like nick diaz and hendo have done be4...this can only help the growth of other promos...something dana would not like (eventhough he would statotherwise)...but this could also lead to fighter picking and choicing who they fight...which in most cases never good

Ur right...this is a good point...but dana fears this

Another example is rich franklin...he has spent his whole career doing what dana asks of him...fighting injured...fighting on short notice...but when he lose his title to silva and lost the second time he still wanted to stay at MW where he felt he was a contender or top level fighter...but dana forced him to move up to lhw knowing rich didnt want to...well rich still did what dana need of him going against the best intrests of himslef...and the second he turned down a fight (first time in his ufc career) the fan turned on him and called him a ducker...this is a rare case where boxing is better then mma

If fighter take a more controling aspect over thier career the ufc fears that some may even leave the promo like nick diaz and hendo have done be4...this can only help the growth of other promos...something dana would not like (eventhough he would statotherwise)...but this could also lead to fighter picking and choicing who they fight...which in most cases never good

You're right. I also remember what happened to Couture when he tried to go outside the UFC to fight Fedor. I tend to be on the fighters' side more then managements side, since the fighters are literally risking their lives.

You're right. I also remember what happened to Couture when he tried to go outside the UFC to fight Fedor. I tend to be on the fighters' side more then managements side' date=' since the fighters are literally risking their lives.[/quote']

True...u cant really say "mma is king cuz we let the best fight the best"

Who at the time was the number 1 and number 2 hw fighter in the world?

Who stopped this fight from happing?

Its a rare event iknow but it still happened...ur either in suport of fighter right or ur not....this truly is a grey colored world but some time things come along that are black an white...and when those time do come ppls true colors come to light

It can but Boxing isn't doing itself any favours at the moment' date=' [b']ridiculous number of belts[/b], and it's shocking that a fight with the two most talented boxers in the world right now can't get put together... Mayweather/Cotto? No thanks

The first bolded part is a really good point.

The second one...I never mentioned Mayweather fighting Cotto...I just said something about enjoying the great fights that both have put on.

How many MMA organizations call their champion "the World Champion?" I was watching a "King of the Cage" event on TV, and they called their champion "the King of the Cage World Champion." The UCF started with one champion, and one belt. What are they up to now? Seven? Titles make money in boxing, MMA will eventually be similar in the number of titles. If Pride and Strikeforce didn't die, there would be around 40 MMA world champions right now.

I see one bright spot for boxing that MMA doesn't have. Some boxers are starting to control their own careers' date=' and calling their own shots as to who and when they fight. It started with De La Hoya, now Mayweather. A few days ago, there was a UFC thread that said Jones wanted to move to heavyweight, but the UFC told him he couldn't. If that's true, that's just like old school boxing, where the fighters have no control.[/quote']

Id prefer fighters to have less control to be honest, if boxers had less power in matchmaking we might actually be able to see the fights the fans actually want (Mayweather/Pacman) Jones fighting at HW this year makes absolute no sense anyway, he still has a few fights at 205, personally I think it's a good call by the UFC he's still growing into his frame. I'd hate to see MMA fighters in the UFC being able to have full power and control of who they wan't to fight, when and where.

The first bolded part is a really good point.

The second one...I never mentioned Mayweather fighting Cotto...I just said something about enjoying the great fights that both have put on.

No I know you didn't LOL wasn't referring to your thread post, just a bit disappointed that boxing can't put together a fight between Mayweather and Pacman...... not to interested in seeing Mayweather beat up Cotto

Id prefer fighters to have less control to be honest' date=' if boxers had less power in matchmaking we might actually be able to see the fights the fans actually want (Mayweather/Pacman) Jones fighting at HW this year makes absolute no sense anyway, he still has a few fights at 205, personally I think it's a good call by the UFC he's still growing into his frame. I'd hate to see MMA fighters in the UFC being able to have full power and control of who they wan't to fight, when and where.

No I know you didn't LOL wasn't referring to your thread post, just a bit disappointed that boxing can't put together a fight between Mayweather and Pacman...... not to interested in seeing Mayweather beat up Cotto[/quote']

I said this before- MMA never made Fedor vs Couture or Fedoe vs Brock or Liddell vs Wandy until they were both washed up, but nobody complained; boxing made every super fight in history happen until Mayweather vs Pacquiao, so boxing has done better then MMA in this argument.

Archived