The Type Of Fighter to Beat GSP

King_Can

is not in Condit or Diaz...

by the way, I am trying to be as unbias as possible.

Nick Diaz fighter profile - http://www.ufc.ca/fighter/Nick-Diaz

Carlos Condit fighter profile - http://www.ufc.ca/fighter/Carlos-Condit

It shows that both guys have had Tremendous problems with Wrestlers. Their Stand up ability in this fight is Irrelevant if they cannot keep the fight standing, which they obviously can't against GSP.

Submissions - GSP has only lost once by a submission vs Matt hughes, who is a wrestler. He had mount when he took an arm and submitted him. How is Diaz or Condit going to mount GSP or even be on top once in the fight? It is also possible that one could submit GSP with him in their guard but it is highly unlikely.

Nick Diaz has admitted he has had problems with guys who take him down and outwrestle him because they leave him no room to try to get back to his feet or even go for a submission, and as soon as GSP passes Guard, they will be in a tone of trouble. I don't see GSP finishing Either fighter TBH, however I cannot see either pulling off a win.

post fight edit: Diaz seriously needs to work on his footwork also. He wouldn't stand a chance against GSP if he doesn't.

Both are great fighters, but GSP bad match up for both of them.

The type of fighter I believe that can beat GSP is a wrestler who is very explosive and has one punch knockout power.

We saw GSP have trouble taking Koscheck Down when they fought, but come on, Koscheck can only through a decent overhand right. GSP was way to technical for Koscheck.

IMO, the dark horse in the WW divison Is Jake Ellenberger. If he trains hard enough, he can keep the fight standing and he can connect with big power just like he did with shields when he shot in for a takedown. Also, GSP's chin is questionable after the Serra fight.

discuss. If you think Diaz/Condit, explain... don't just say he would knock him out because he will get lucky at some point in the fight...

20100104013903_IMG_9947.JPG

also, this thread has nothing to do with which fighter is more exciting.

I don't see Condit getting off his back in this fight.

Also' date=' many people thought Ellenberger won that fight.

it could easily be Ellenberger vs Diaz.[/quote']

Condit dosent lay on his back for nobody. He will be working for sweeps, subs, and to get up the entire fight. Ellenberger would maul Diaz IMO. Jakes the real deal. Condit fight could have gone either way, he thinks they will rematch someday which is pretty likely.

Diaz' date=' Condit, Ellenburger and even Shields are all very capable. Alves too if he can get back on track.[/quote']

Shields has nothing for GSP if he cannot get it to the ground. Condit, Diaz, and Alves have nothing for GSP if they cannot keep it on the feet or get top position.

IMO.

Shields did do well boxing against GSP but it would never happen again

also IMHO.

GSP is the complete fighter.

Shields has nothing for GSP if he cannot get it to the ground. Condit' date=' Diaz, and Alves have nothing for GSP if they cannot keep it on the feet or get top position.

IMO.

Shields did do well boxing against GSP but it would never happen again

also IMHO.

GSP is the complete fighter.[/quote']

I agree with that except for the part about Condit and Diaz not having nothing for GSP on the ground. They are both very dangerous off thier back. Shields biggest threat is his top game. I don't think he fairs too well on the ground if he's on his back.

I agree with that except for the part about Condit and Diaz not having nothing for GSP on the ground. They are both very dangerous off thier back. Shields biggest threat is his top game. I don't think he fairs too well on the ground if he's on his back.

Diaz and Condit are very good off their backs, But GSP has never been submitted on top of someone, only when matt got on top of him.

+ GSP leaves little room for guys to move when he gets ontop of you (some might call it lay and pray...)

I don't think anyone really offeres any thread to GSP other than Ellenberger.

And after just beating Shields, I think Zuffa is trying to keep him away from GSP for now by giving him sanchez, he deserves a fighter higher in the rankings.

Very interesting breakdown

I do think Diaz or Condit are capable of beating GSP as anything can happen in a fight. I do think that Diaz is the one that is more capable for many reasons but I'm not listing them all because I am on my phone. Honestly I would pick GSP if he was fighting Condit, I just don't think he has what it takes to win.

Either way I like Ellenberger and I also think he is capable of beating anyone at WW on any given day, I look forward to seeing him get a title shot when he gets there

Anderson Silva.

forgot all about Anderson

Don't think this fight is a reallity anymore IMO

Neither fighter is interested and Anderson is getting old so if GSP won, everyone would just say he was out of his prime.

I don't even know who to pick for that fight, GSP has the wrestling advantage which is the blueprint to beating Silva, however GSP's chin is questionable and Silva is 14 - 0 with some very nice submissions.

Very interesting breakdown

I do think Diaz or Condit are capable of beating GSP as anything can happen in a fight. I do think that Diaz is the one that is more capable for many reasons but I'm not listing them all because I am on my phone. Honestly I would pick GSP if he was fighting Condit' date=' I just don't think he has what it takes to win.

Either way I like Ellenberger and I also think he is capable of beating anyone at WW on any given day, I look forward to seeing him get a title shot when he gets there[/quote']

2 things I give Diaz over Condit are

- More Heart

- Ability to take punishment and keep going.

GSP would not be able to finish Diaz as easy as he would Condit, probably wouldn't finish either unless he mounted and GnP.

Diaz and Condit are very good off their backs' date=' But GSP has never been submitted on top of someone, only when matt got on top of him.

+ GSP leaves little room for guys to move when he gets ontop of you (some might call it lay and pray...)

I don't think anyone really offeres any thread to GSP other than Ellenberger.

And after just beating Shields, I think Zuffa is trying to keep him away from GSP for now by giving him sanchez, he deserves a fighter higher in the rankings.[/quote']

GSP hasn't faced anyone as lanky with guards like them though. It's much harder to play GSP's normal stall game against a lanky fighter with a good guard.

GSP still might be pretty successful but it's going to be alot harder against them than Serra, Penn etc.

GSP hasn't faced anyone as lanky with guards like them though. It's much harder to play GSP's normal stall game against a lanky fighter with a good guard.

GSP still might be pretty successful but it's going to be alot harder against them than Serra' date=' Penn etc.[/quote']

that is very true, GSP needs to watch for the submissions from the bottem but GSP has always shown good sumbission defence and I also don't think it would take him long to pass guard.

Jake Ellenberger would get outwrestled plain and simple. Jake almost lost to Rocha, who had him on his back a lot. Rocha isn't even a wrestler. Mike Pierce outside the UFC did the same to Jake. He has power in his hands but thats it IMO.

Dark Horse @ WW is Rory the Water Boy Mcdonald. He is the future champ.

Jake Ellenberger would get outwrestled plain and simple. Jake almost lost to Rocha' date=' who had him on his back a lot. Rocha isn't even a wrestler. Mike Pierce outside the UFC did the same to Jake. He has power in his hands but thats it IMO.

Dark Horse @ WW is Rory the Water Boy Mcdonald. He is the future champ.[/quote']

ellenberger could possibly get back to his feet as well. and GSP had trouble taking down Koscheck in the second fight,

+ ellenberger did not train alot of TDD because he did not expect Rocha to be able to take him down.

he also caught jake shooting in for a takedown, ellenberger is very explosive so GSP would need to shoot very cautiously.

Rory is good but he is very unexperienced and I also believe GSP would actually Finish him Via GnP.

if Condit can do it from inside Guard I don't see why GSP couldn't.

Jake Ellenberger would get outwrestled plain and simple. Jake almost lost to Rocha' date=' who had him on his back a lot. Rocha isn't even a wrestler. Mike Pierce outside the UFC did the same to Jake. He has power in his hands but thats it IMO.

Dark Horse @ WW is Rory the Water Boy Mcdonald. He is the future champ.[/quote']

I like Rory too, the dude is exciting and I look forward to his title shot also. But he has a while before he gets one

ellenberger could possibly get back to his feet as well. and GSP had trouble taking down Koscheck in the second fight' date='

+ ellenberger did not train alot of TDD because he did not expect Rocha to be able to take him down.

he also caught jake shooting in for a takedown, ellenberger is very explosive so GSP would need to shoot very cautiously.

Rory is good but he is very unexperienced and I also believe GSP would actually Finish him Via GnP.

[b']if Condit can do it from inside Guard I don't see why GSP couldn't[/b].

Because Condit is a finisher and has tons more power in his hands. Shannon Ritch would smash GSP, check my sig if you need further proof.

GSP still might be pretty successful but it's going to be alot harder against them than Serra' date=' Penn etc.[/quote']

That's a good point. Didn't think about that before.

I think Nick Diaz is the biggest threat to GSP at the moment. Unlike the majority of people that fight GSP Nick will actually bring the fight. He won't just go there not to lose like Kos, Shields and Hardy. Condit would come to fight too, but I think that GSP would be too much for him on the ground. Nick may also struggle on the ground with GSP, but he is good enough of his back to make a very interesting fight.

I give Gsp all the credit in the world for what he can do which is win all day. On the flip side to say on a wrestler can beat him is crazy.. We have only seen wrestlers or stand up only guys vs gsp in a 5 ROUND FIGHT.. I cap the 5 rounds cus besides a undersized penn no one else he fought could last and still be effective in late rounds like Diaz and maybe condit

I have yet to see Diaz lose in a 5 rounder and would like to see it is all

I'd be very surprised if Diaz ended up being the guy to dethrone GSP. Condit would also be surprising, but I would understand how it could happen. Ellenberger however, if the betting odds were right, I'd put my money on him to beat GSP. Ellenberger is kinda like Koscheck v2.0. If anyone right now beats GSP, it'll be Ellenberger...

I think Nick Diaz is the biggest threat to GSP at the moment. Unlike the majority of people that fight GSP Nick will actually bring the fight. He won't just go there not to lose like Kos' date=' Shields and Hardy. Condit would come to fight too, but I think that GSP would be too much for him on the ground. Nick may also struggle on the ground with GSP, but he is good enough of his back to make a very interesting fight.[/quote']

I think the way Diaz would "bring the fight" would be a problem though. Punches in bunches works well when you know you aren't going to get taken down or, if you do get taken down, can lock the submission off your back. This is why Diaz has problems against wrestlers, because they are capable of taking him down then controlling him, neutralizing his jujitsu...

If GSP and Diaz end up fighting, it would look a lot like Demetrious Johnson vs KID Yamamoto...

I think the way Diaz would "bring the fight" would be a problem though. Punches in bunches works well when you know you aren't going to get taken down or' date=' if you do get taken down, can lock the submission off your back. This is why Diaz has problems against wrestlers, because they are capable of taking him down then controlling him, neutralizing his jujitsu...

If GSP and Diaz end up fighting, it would look a lot like Demetrious Johnson vs KID Yamamoto...[/quote']

I see where u are coming from... But like I said earlier no one with bjj like diaz has went 5 rounds with Gsp... And nick has yet to have someone wrestle him for 5 rounds not just 3 but 5.. Do I think it's certain that nick wins....... NO .... But would like to see a different fighter in every way go 5 with Gsp... Even silva can't say he can beat strikers, bjj , and wrestlers... Wether finish or decisions with no question

there are more fighters than you think that could beat gsp.. it's just gsp's mindset and his take on mma.. his gameplans are flawless, very few can keep up with his perseverance for training, these two things alone put him above a lot of welterweights

if it was diaz vs gsp and either fighter only had a few days notice, i'd have my money on diaz.. but with these fair/set rules in play, gsp is almost untouchable

forgot all about Anderson

Don't think this fight is a reallity anymore IMO

Neither fighter is interested and Anderson is getting old so if GSP won' date=' everyone would just say he was out of his prime.

I don't even know who to pick for that fight, GSP has the wrestling advantage which is the blueprint to beating Silva, however GSP's chin is questionable and Silva is 14 - 0 with some very nice submissions.[/quote']

GSP doesn't have the pressure game to compete with Anderson and Silva's length and jitz would be a problem anyway. George is also fearful of what Anderson can do on his feet and i believe he'd just be another deer in the headlights opponent for Anderson.

George is slower than Anderson on the outside and although he covers distance quickly rushing in is dangerous especially with a counter striker with the skillset and reach Silva has.

He'd have to be comfortable in the pocket throwing and or slipping punches to close the distance then suddenly dropping levels, driving forward off a punch to get Silva backing away then bury his head in Silva's chest and mow him down. Not easy to do when Silva will definitely expect it.

Anderson would likely start out with his feel him out game and make George come to him. If George waits he walks him down and picks him apart patiently and disengages when George closes in. If George forces it he probably gets countered and clocked on the very first engagement and goes down like a sack of potatoes.

George's greco/judo game is not really his strength either and his freestyle wrestling game is dangerous against Silva's control of distance, laser knees and If he can't get inside first it's much easier to see coming. Not to mention Silva's sprawl is extremely underrated.

Silva's problem is he is vulnerable to greco throws and trips and if the Okami fight is an indication he's learned a thing or two from the Sonnen fight that the cage is your friend against it. He played a Bisping/Sonnen game early in that fight and was very successful with it.

I'd predict Silva would KO/TKO him at some point in the fight and most likely early.

GSP doesn't have the pressure game to compete with Anderson and Silva's length and jitz would be a problem anyway. George is also fearful of what Anderson can do on his feet and i believe he'd just be another deer in the headlights opponent for Anderson.

George is slower than Anderson on the outside and although he covers distance quickly rushing in is dangerous especially with a counter striker with the skillset and reach Silva has.

He'd have to be comfortable in the pocket throwing and or slipping punches to close the distance then suddenly dropping levels' date=' driving forward off a punch to get Silva backing away then bury his head in Silva's chest and mow him down. Not easy to do when Silva will definitely expect it.

Anderson would likely start out with his feel him out game and make George come to him. If George waits he walks him down and picks him apart patiently and disengages when George closes in. If George forces it he probably gets countered and clocked on the very first engagement and goes down like a sack of potatoes.

George's greco/judo game is not really his strength either and his freestyle wrestling game is dangerous against Silva's control of distance, laser knees and If he can't get inside first it's much easier to see coming. not to mention Silva's sprawl is extremely underrated.

Silva's problem is he is vulnerable to greco throws and trips and if the Okami fight is an indication he's learned a thing or two from the Sonnen fight that cage is your friend against it. He played a Bisping/Sonnen game early in that fight and was very successful with it.

I'd predict Silva would KO/TKO him at some point in the fight and most likely early.[/quote']

Fair breakdown, I agree with most parts but I don't think Georges would freeze in the headlights. like mentioned above, the man executes perfect gameplans and his mindset is always perfect.

Although, he could easily get caught

it all depends if anderson shows up I guess. He didn't look that great when he fought Sonnen and if that was GSP he would not have been submitted.

I also believe GSP could take Anderson down at will.

lol he is just being an idiot

He hates GSP because he doesn't like the way he fights

he has to much "pride" to admit GSP is a GOAT fighter.

I am off to bed - cya

I watch too much Pride to admit GSP is the GOAT :confused:

I love GSP but he is not the GOAT, GOAT is Anderson even though I don't like Andy

is not in Condit or Diaz...

by the way' date=' I am trying to be as [b']unbias as possible[/b].

Nick Diaz fighter profile - http://www.ufc.ca/fighter/Nick-Diaz

Carlos Condit fighter profile - http://www.ufc.ca/fighter/Carlos-Condit

It shows that both guys have had Tremendous problems with Wrestlers. Their Stand up ability in this fight is Irrelevant if they cannot keep the fight standing, which they obviously can't against GSP.

Submissions - GSP has only lost once by a submission vs Matt hughes, who is a wrestler. He had mount when he took an arm and submitted him. How is Diaz or Condit going to mount GSP or even be on top once in the fight? It is also possible that one could submit GSP with him in their guard but it is highly unlikely.

Nick Diaz has admitted he has had problems with guys who take him down and outwrestle him because they leave him no room to try to get back to his feet or even go for a submission, and as soon as GSP passes Guard, they will be in a tone of trouble. I don't see GSP finishing Either fighter TBH, however I cannot see either pulling off a win.

Both are great fighters, but GSP bad match up for both of them.

The type of fighter I believe that can beat GSP is a wrestler who is very explosive and has one punch knockout power.

We saw GSP have trouble taking Koscheck Down when they fought, but come on, Koscheck can only through a decent overhand right. GSP was way to technical for Koscheck.

IMO, the dark horse in the WW divison Is Jake Ellenberger. If he trains hard enough, he can keep the fight standing and he can connect with big power just like he did with shields when he shot in for a takedown. Also, GSP's chin is questionable after the Serra fight.

discuss. If you think Diaz/Condit, explain... don't just say he would knock him out because he will get lucky at some point in the fight...

20100104013903_IMG_9947.JPG

also, this thread has nothing to do with which fighter is more exciting.

You're not too far off for the most part.

Not sure where you're coming from with the GSP having a questionable chin thing. One fluke tko loss? That's like saying A.Silva has questionable submission defence after getting tapped by Chonan. Do guys like Belfort, Machida, Shogun, Liddell, Couture, Fitch, Shields etc. all have questionable chins?

You're not too far off for the most part.

Not sure where you're coming from with the GSP having a questionable chin thing. One fluke tko loss? That's like saying A.Silva has questionable submission defence after getting tapped by Chonan. Do guys like Belfort' date=' Machida, Shogun, Liddell, Couture, Fitch, Shields etc. all have questionable chins?[/quote']

didn't say it he had a bad chin

We just don't really know if he can take a punch yet because he hasn't eaten a decent shot since the Serra fight.

Archived