GSP on Nick Diaz's Cardio

JBEVIL

Comment From cfc19

Do you believe that nick diaz has the best cardio in the ufc? possibly in all of mma?

Georges St. Pierre:

It's not about cardio. Fighting is a different system of energy. He always finds a way to fight his fight and that's why he looks like he has good cardio.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/2/1/2763636/georges-st-pierre-UFC-143-nick-diaz-carlos-condit-live-chat

Georges St. Pierre:

Triathlons and marathons don't translate to MMA. The cardio you build for triathlon is for triathlon, for MMA is MMA. It's very specific. If he stays in shape and has a passion for triathlon, OK. But I've never trained cardio and I never get tired in a fight so I don't believe in cardio.

Some good points. I've been saying this as well in response to all of those people saying that Nick is going to wear Condit out b/c he runs triathalons. The last time I checked people werent punching and kicking you in the face during triathalons. Plus, having to explode up off the ground or to defend a TD also causes muscle exhaustion which is a different kind of tired than just running or biking at a constant pace.

I agree that if Nick is able to fight his fight and at his pace, his conditioning will be a factor but if he cant then his triathalon experiece wont mean ****.

If you don't think the triathalon training is the main reason he can keep his pace your insane. Running, swimming, then biking builds insane cardio which translates to very well to MMA. Plus the fact that he lives in the gym dosent hurt, either. You really think exploding to get up off the ground after a takedown takes more out of you then climbing on the bike after a long swim??? You guys are nuts

That's silly...because the last time I checked ALL fighters run miles to get themselves in shape.

Hell for sure GSP runs as well, he might not do triathlons but he runs on treadmills or w/e

Same thing with track, cycling and swimming, it improves cardiovascular because your cardiovascular system is constantly going at a high pace-helps deepen your breathes. And his already used to it and to think that he triathlons is the only way he is preparing himself strength and conditioning wise for a fight would be ignorant.

Of course the dude controlling the fight will get less tired because he is controlling the pace, but if you think GSP is going to go head to head with Diaz your wrong, in the stand up he will back off or shoot for a take down

If you don't think the triathalon training is the main reason he can keep his pace your insane. Running' date=' swimming, then biking builds insane cardio which translates to very well to MMA. Plus the fact that he lives in the gym dosent hurt, either. You really think exploding to get up off the ground after a takedown takes more out of you then climbing on the bike after a long swim??? You guys are nuts[/quote']

I am not saying his triathalon training is meaningless completely. All fighters are cardio freaks, at least the top ones. Basically what I am saying is that cardio isnt going to be the difference when he is getting beat up. Everyone has a large gas tank until they take punishment and then they slow down. If Nick wasnt fighting cans in SF he would have found this out just like when Diego was beating on him.

Does anyone else wish GSP would stop ruining the build up to the most exciting Welterweight fight since GSP ruined the division?

Seriously. This guy has had more time in front of the microphone than Condit and Diaz combined!:mad:

a****ingreed. the media is constantly asking questions about GSP instead of the fight on sat. shut the **** up, you'll have more than enough time for that after probably the best fight of this year.

Nick Diaz doesn't just run, swim and ride a bike all day. He trains in all aspects of fitness and martial arts, it would be really ignorant of him to just do long cardio sessions for training. I think Nick diaz has superior cardio to most mma fighters to make up for what he lacks in explosiveness and raw strength.

Does anyone else wish GSP would stop ruining the build up to the most exciting Welterweight fight since GSP ruined the division?

Seriously. This guy has had more time in front of the microphone than Condit and Diaz combined!:mad:

exactly.. because more people would rather see GSP fighting, you do know the haters on this forum and the world are nothing compared to the GSP fans around the world.. Most of you GSP haters recycle the same old BS and its pretty pathetic.. GSP Condit and Diaz are all part of this fight..

Yes Condit vs Diaz is going to be an amazing fight, 2 top guys who like to step in and bang till someones asleep, but then they have he biggest test of there life to prepare for after.. and thats fighting the WW champ Georges St Pierre,

That's silly...because the last time I checked ALL fighters run miles to get themselves in shape.

Hell for sure GSP runs as well' date=' he might not do triathlons but he runs on treadmills or w/e

Same thing with track, cycling and swimming, it improves cardiovascular because your cardiovascular system is constantly going at a high pace-helps deepen your breathes. And his already used to it and to think that he triathlons is the only way he is preparing himself strength and conditioning wise for a fight would be ignorant.

Of course the dude controlling the fight will get less tired because he is controlling the pace, but if you think GSP is going to go head to head with Diaz your wrong, in the stand up he will back off or shoot for a take down[/quote']

GSP says he doesn't run long distances because it's bad for his knees

Comment From cfc19

Do you believe that nick diaz has the best cardio in the ufc? possibly in all of mma?

Georges St. Pierre:

It's not about cardio. Fighting is a different system of energy. He always finds a way to fight his fight and that's why he looks like he has good cardio.

what a hater. can't even give Diaz the credit he deserves.

GSP has nothing to do with this fight as far as I'm concerned . Yeah he fights the winner (that's not even likely) but Nick and Carlos are stepping into the Octagon tomorrow night' date=' not GSP.

I'm not even a GSP hater, it just angers me when he is talking more than the fighters. Obviously by the look of your avatar, you don't have a problem with that, but 90% of the forum probably agrees with me.[/quote']

Considering Nick cant even form a coherent sentence and Carlos doesnt care much for the cameras, why not let GSP talk about the fight(ers).

Also, the UFC is orchestrating this not GSP so blame them. Haters always have a reason to hate.

The thing that you've failed to notice is that Nicks triathlon is his hobby. Where as Condit or LnP, sorry GSP train MMA 6 days a week and then go shoot or just relax, Nick doesn't relax like they do because he really enjoys slogging his guts out on an endurance run/swim/bike. This to me = slight advantage

Hell for sure GSP runs as well' date=' he might not do triathlons but he runs on treadmills or w/e

Of course the dude controlling the fight will get less tired because he is controlling the pace, but if you think GSP is going to go head to head with Diaz your wrong, in the stand up he will back off or shoot for a take down[/quote']

No. Obviously GSP does 100 yard takedowns for his conditioning

This is not normal for GSP talk down another athletic

GSP did not say anything negative about KOS athletic attributes but yet he questions Diaz athleticism.. again its not like GSP to say that sort of thing

Even the biggest GSP hugger would wonder (or not) ..

He should just keep quiet and actually let this fight happen

When the winner is decided out of Condit/Diaz then he can start the faxed copy by Dana trash talk

Huggers gonna hug i guess

Didn't know that this way a 3 way fight between Diaz vs Condit vs GSP

This fight is between Diaz & Condit

Its not been portrayed that way and that is disappointing and actually it more rude to Carlos Condit than Diaz

Again huggers gonna hug!!!

GSP is sort of right in a way and sort wrong too imo. He makes good points about fighting your game and not your opponents.

However Nick does those triathalons because it's a great way for him to get his base endurance level higher for extreme periods of time and not only that but it's a way to break his training up that allows him to recover and not get broken down so much doing the same things. Maybe GSP doesn't get that and that's why he's injured instead he's pushing the bounds of super athlete perhaps he should focus more on being a super fighter. I feel like he's pushed a little to the extreme on the athlete side and his skillset suffers a little although it's very good after all these years he could be much, much better.

Ofcourse there are different kinds of cardio but triathalons do translate very well for Nicks style.

Mostly i think all this criticism of Nick is GSP mindgames. That and he mad because fans know he's a boring fighter. Basically he jelly.

Georges St. Pierre:

"It's not about cardio... it's about greasing and cycling on and off of PEDs."

These ^^^

GSP is sort of right in a way and sort wrong too imo. He makes good points about fighting your game and not your opponents.

However Nick does those triathalons because it's a great way for him to get his base endurance level higher for extreme periods of time and not only that but it's a way to break his training up that allows him to recover and not get broken down so much doing the same things. Maybe GSP doesn't get that and that's why he's injured instead he's pushing the bounds of super athlete perhaps he should focus more on being a super fighter. I feel like he's pushed a little to the extreme on the athlete side and his skillset suffers a little although it's very good after all these years he could be much' date=' much better.

Ofcourse there are different kinds of cardio but triathalons do translate very well for Nicks style.

Mostly i think all this criticism of Nick is GSP mindgames. That and he mad because fans know he's a boring fighter. [b']Basically he jelly[/b].

7nTnr.png

Georges St. Pierre:

Triathlons and marathons don't translate to MMA. The cardio you build for triathlon is for triathlon' date=' for MMA is MMA. It's very specific. If he stays in shape and has a passion for triathlon, OK. But I've never trained cardio and I never get tired in a fight so I don't believe in cardio.[/quote']

Perhaps one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

GSP has nothing to do with this fight as far as I'm concerned . Yeah he fights the winner (that's not even likely) but Nick and Carlos are stepping into the Octagon tomorrow night' date=' not GSP.

I'm not even a GSP hater, it just angers me when he is talking more than the fighters. Obviously by the look of your avatar, you don't have a problem with that, but 90% of the forum probably agrees with me.[/quote']

lol what should he do? Slam the door on the reporter? Refuse to take questions?

he is building up the fight and building up the expectation for the his fight. It's part of his job.

Who the **** cares that a minority of internet haters get their panties in a wad any time GSP is mentioned.

lol what should he do? Slam the door on the reporter? Refuse to take questions?

he is building up the fight and building up the expectation for the his fight. It's part of his job.

Who the **** cares that a minority of internet haters get their panties in a wad any time GSP is mentioned.

as opposed to gsp fanboys like you who blow a wad in their panties any time a gsp pic is posted?

it's that whole "endurance cardio" vs "interval cardio" thing... by doing triathlons, Diaz has some very solid endurance cardio, which would explain why he fights like he does... he throws barrages of lighter punches rather than setting up big punches then backing off... I think a lot of guys go more by the interval cardio method of brief periods of explosiveness, recover, then explode again... of course everyone works both, but fighters will put focus on specific training that tailors to their style... it makes sense for more technical fighters like GSP to focus on interval training and brawlers like Diaz to focus on endurance...

Difference is that there is no element of "doubt/fear" in a triatholon.

Don't care who's fighting you can't tell me they don't play out all the scenarios of how a fight will go down and that doesn't have some sort of an affect on their nerves.

Adrenaline in a fight is a huge factor on your performance.

Not saying cardio isn't a good thing in MMA but something that needs a more refined definition.

triathlon, mma, or any activity that is physically demanding will cause you to run out of breath sooner or later. but prolonged use, ie, training, will increase the length of your limit to when you do run out. it's called excersize, and being in shape. i want to see a fight where both fighters sit on a couch all day long like the majority of low lifes, then it would be fair.

Archived