A theory on the whole WW title situation this year

JonesyUK

Just a thought I would share :D

Condit defeats Diaz, close fight either decision or late round finish.

GSP announces return for September-October time.

Rather than Condit waiting for GSP to return, UFC set-up a first 'title' defence for Condit against another contender. Kos if he wins tonight.Takes place around August/September time, to allow the following to be made....

GSP's return fight is not a title fight with Condit, it is instead in a no1 contenders fight with Diaz. This allows UFC to get their big payday, whilst keeping the WW title situation moving for 2012 - nobody wants to see Condit sat out waiting for GSP for 7-9 months.

We will see huh ;)

Condit defeats Diaz' date=' close fight either decision or late round finish.

Rather than Condit waiting for GSP to return, UFC set-up a first 'title' defence for Condit against another contender. Kos if he wins tonight.Takes place around August/September time, to allow the following to be made....

GSP's return fight is not a title fight with Condit, it is instead in a no1 contenders fight with Diaz. This allows UFC to get their big payday, whilst keeping the WW title situation moving for 2012 - nobody wants to see Condit sat out waiting for GSP for 7-9 months.

We will see huh ;)[/quote']

Aaaaaaaand that's where I stopped reading..

You do realise that your post makes very little sense right?

I understand what you are going for, but it just can't happen that way. If Condit wins, it will mess up the UFC's plans pretty badly because everyone seems to want Diaz to win.

Personally, I feel that even if Condit beats Diaz, he will fight GSP, and I think that win or lose against him, they will make a fight between GSP and Diaz sooner or later. It's definitely going to happen, but it can't happen how you described it...

You do realise that your post makes very little sense right?

I understand what you are going for' date=' but it just can't happen that way. If Condit wins, it will mess up the UFC's plans pretty badly because everyone seems to want Diaz to win.

Personally, I feel that even if Condit beats Diaz, he will fight GSP, and I think that win or lose against him, they will make a fight between GSP and Diaz sooner or later. It's definitely going to happen, but it can't happen how you described it...[/quote']

How does it makes little sense?

In-fact, i could say the same about your 2nd paragraph... Dana will not want to lose the momentum and build-up for Diaz v GSP be undone by making Condit v GSP i dont think.

Just dont put it past the UFC to engineer Diaz v GSP this year if Condit does win tonight

How does it makes little sense?

In-fact' date=' i could say the same about your 2nd paragraph... Dana will not want to lose the momentum and build-up for Diaz v GSP be undone by making Condit v GSP i dont think.

Just dont put it past the UFC to engineer Diaz v GSP this year if Condit does win tonight[/quote']

Oh, I'm not putting past the UFC to try and engineer Diaz vs GSP even if Condit were to win, but I don't think they can feasibly make a GSP vs Condit fight, a non title.

Like you said, they undoubtedly don't want to miss the payday of such a huge fight, but it's highly unlikely that it would be GSP's comeback fight, especially being the "real" champion. If Diaz were to lose, I could easily see GSP vs Condit when GSP returns for the undisputed title. Make Diaz vs Koscheck (if Kos wins) and make that a number one contender fight (in the event that Diaz wins, kind of like Evans getting the shot against Davis but Davis not getting the shot if he'd won).

There are also Hendricks and Ellenberger in the mix.

Like I said before, I see what you were trying to get at, and it could happen, I just find it highly unlikely that even in the worst case scenario for the UFC they would put that fight together.

Then again, I also don't know how much influence fighters have in their choice to fight, because there is a chance GSP would only want to fight Diaz, considering the back and forth between the two.

GSP's return fight is not a title fight with Condit, i[b']t is instead in a no1 contenders fight with Diaz. [/b]This allows UFC to get their big payday, whilst keeping the WW title situation moving for 2012 - nobody wants to see Condit sat out waiting for GSP for 7-9 months.

We will see huh ;)

gsp is still champ tho, condit/diaz are just gonna be interim- so when gsp comes back he will have to fight the interim champ no matter what

Part one has come true :D

gsp is still champ tho' date=' condit/diaz are just gonna be interim- so when gsp comes back he will have to fight the interim champ no matter what[/quote']

GSP said in an interview early January that he feels with his return being around the November time, the winner of Diaz/Condit would not necessarily wait for him and take a fight before November. In that scenario he said he would have no problem fighting someone else before getting his shot. He has gone on record recently too saying that he does not feel he is champ anymore and will not until he beats the interim champ

Archived