Dana White: BJ Penn Not Quite Ready To Come Back

farrelly

UFC Welterweight champion...

UFC Lightweight champion...

The Ultimate Fighter Season Five coach...

Most Lightweight wins in UFC history (10)...

First and only UFC Champion to challenge another UFC Champion for a chance at holding two belts simultaneously in two different divisions....

Only man in UFC history to face seven different UFC Champions....

One of only two man in UFC history to win UFC championship titles in two different weight categories....

http://www.addictedmma.com/story-News_6371_Dana-White-BJ-Penn-Not-Quite-Ready-To-Come-Back-.php

Im not saying Im a BJ fan but too often guys who have helped create this sport who (granted) stay too long just get **** heaped on them.

Sure he should retire, So should Nog and a few others but all you hear is how **** they are now bla bla bla.

You guys are a fickle bunch.

Im not saying Im a BJ fan but too often guys who have helped create this sport who (granted) stay too long just get **** heaped on them.

Sure he should retire' date=' So should Nog and a few others but all you hear is how **** they are now bla bla bla.

You guys are a fickle bunch.[/quote']it's only fickle if you were on there balls at some point :)

Penn has been worthless for years' date=' he should take a permanent vacation. The competition has caught up and surpassed his "Prodigy" status. He should just change his name to BJ "Below Average" Penn.[/quote']

Yes!! He was so horrible when he smashed Diego Sanchez, Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes! BJ Penn sucks! Oh yeah and he was smashing Diaz before he gassed! BJ is not a WW and if he had the same cardio as Diaz did Diaz would have gotten WRECKED the WHOLE TIME NO DOUBT!

I know guys like you only ****ride Champs ur probably a fan of Jon Bones Jones! And I'd be willing to bet you "USED" to be a fan of Lesnars! You should seriously just STFU! :P

Yes!! He was so horrible when he smashed Diego Sanchez' date=' Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes! BJ Penn sucks! Oh yeah and he was smashing Diaz before he gassed! BJ is not a WW and if he had the same cardio as Diaz did Diaz would have gotten WRECKED the WHOLE TIME NO DOUBT!

I know guys like you only ****ride Champs ur probably a fan of Jon Bones Jones! And I'd be willing to bet you "USED" to be a fan of Lesnars! You should seriously just STFU! :P[/quote']

BJ?

Or just some angry 15 year old?

Never have been to be honest' date=' but these guys have made this sport what it is. Sure the sport has evolved way past where they should be but it doesnt detract from there value to MMA[/quote']

Um. Actually it does. It's embarrassing to watch him get handled. He couldn't beat Frankie twice, got handled by Diaz, smashed by GSP. He's got no other division to go to. I would be more of a fan if his hype before fights wasn't complete ********. They always say Penn is back and better then ever, then he gasses, losses confidence, and gets smashed. I don't mind watching him get smashed, but he is not even an entertaining guy before the fight.

I agree mate he should go. no doubt about that.

its funny to see guys though hate on people they probably were cheering for a good few years ago.

I never really cheered for Penn until he fought Diaz. I've just never been a fan nor do I think he even earned his "Prodigy" nickname. He should just coach others, it would probably be a better fit for him.

BJ?

Or just some angry 15 year old?

15 year old? Wow could you be anymore ignorant homie? You're not an MMA fan otherwise you wouldn't say things like this against EASILY one of the baddest Lightweights EVER in the UFC.

If BJ Penn comes back to the UFC as a Lightweight better watch out because he's going to wreck shop! :D

15 year old? Wow could you be anymore ignorant homie? You're not an MMA fan otherwise you wouldn't say things like this against EASILY one of the baddest Lightweights EVER in the UFC.

If BJ Penn comes back to the UFC as a Lightweight better watch out because he's going to wreck shop! :D

Homie? Okay, so you're 16-17? LOL

He's one of the baddest lightweights that has no drive, heart, or desire to fight anymore.

Real talk.

Homie? Okay' date=' so you're 16-17? LOL

He's one of the baddest lightweights that has no drive, heart, or desire to fight anymore.

Real talk.[/quote']

I would agree with 90% of this but I still think he helped grow and make this sport. Even if now he is a shell of his former self.

My brother who doesnt even like MMA knows who BJ is.

Its a tough sport to do if you have no heart and for those who pay for the events to see a fighter like BJ gas and give up is pretty bad. Its a shame with all the build up before a fight to get you pumped and you see BJ come out and give a lack luster performance.

Homie? Okay' date=' so you're 16-17? LOL

Real talk.[/quote']

Oh I forgot I'm talking to BJ Penn! My bad. Oh and try 30! Not that that should matter.

And yes there seems to be a question about which Penn will show up to the fight sometimes. But Penn is not built to be a WW fighter. I'm sorry but if Penn trains like he did for the Sanchez fight(Which Diego is a Cardio MACHINE)then there's no stopping him.

Oh and Frankie Edgar is just really fast and has amazing footwork. Look at what he did to Maynard and Maynard looked like a Giant next to frankie. No shame in losing to Frankie.

People have the right to cheer against anyone they like, doesn't make them any less of a fan.

I would agree with 90% of this but I still think he helped grow and make this sport. Even if now he is a shell of his former self.

My brother who doesnt even like MMA knows who BJ is.

Its a tough sport to do if you have no heart and for those who pay for the events to see a fighter like BJ gas and give up is pretty bad. Its a shame with all the build up before a fight to get you pumped and you see BJ come out and give a lack luster performance.

Sure, he helped grow the sport. So did Hughes, Couture, Liddell, Shamrock, Gracie, etc. What do all those fighters have in common? Penn needs to follow suit soon or, like Fedor, risk turning any kind of legacy he was trying to build into a joke.

As a BJ Penn fan I hope he retires, I don't want to see a well past his prime BJ Penn go the route of Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro Cop and stay around way too long and just become a stepping stone for younger fighters. I want to remember Penn as a multiple time world champion, not as a highlight reel dummy.

As a BJ Penn fan I hope he retires' date=' I don't want to see a well past his prime BJ Penn go the route of Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro Cop and stay around way too long and just become a stepping stone for younger fighters. I want to remember Penn as a champion, not as a highlight reel dummy.[/quote']

OMG! A Penn fan that gets it? Thank you sir.

As a BJ Penn fan I hope he retires' date=' I don't want to see a well past his prime BJ Penn go the route of Chuck Liddell and Mirko Cro Cop and stay around way too long and just become a stepping stone for younger fighters. I want to remember Penn as a multiple time world champion, not as a highlight reel dummy.[/quote']good post mate

Sorry but none of you guys know if Penn is done or should be for that matter. It's not like he's 45 and getting KO'd everytime he steps in the Octagon. *lol* Matter of fact he's never been KO'd.

I wonder what you clowns were saying when he knocked out Hughes in 30 seconds?

Or Smashed Diego Sanchez(Who BTW beat Nick Diaz)

or Kenny Florian?

Yeah.....Well I was watching because when Penn comes out and trains hard he smashes *****es ALL DAY LONG!

It's not even like Penn is losing like Pulver was losing.

Sorry but none of you guys know if Penn is done or should be for that matter. It's not like he's 45 and getting KO'd everytime he steps in the Octagon. *lol* Matter of fact he's never been KO'd.

or Kenny Florian?

Yeah.....Well I was watching because when Penn comes out and trains hard he smashes *****es ALL DAY LONG!

Not a fan but not a hater either but its time to retire.

Stop hanging on to the past.

For the record hughes is past his used by date as well, Im sure if he took it past round one BJ wouldve gassed.

You cant say its not a common thing for BJ to gas. This guy sells PPVs and then decided he isnt motivated enough to train. Sorry but this is poor form from him as people arent buying the PPV for a fighter not to try.

or Kenny Florian?

The Penn that fought Kenny and Diego is clearly not the same that fights now, he's a step or so slower with atrocious cardio and has become very one-dimensional, all he does is throw punches to the head, he's like a LW/WW version of Rampage. And I expected a quick finish against Hughes, Hughes is already Chuck Liddelling-it.

he said his cardio had never been better then it was in the Diaz fight and look what happened there.

*lol* I never heard him say that....Link please.

And I'm pretty sure his cardio is best at LW.

As is his fight with Diego Sanchez or even his 2nd fight with Frankie.

And you're right I guess if you lose to somebody who sounds half retarded everytime they open there mouth ala Nick and Nate Diaz. You should probably retire! :P

*lol* I never heard him say that....Link please.

And I'm pretty sure his cardio is best at LW.

As is his fight with Diego Sanchez or even his 2nd fight with Frankie.

And you're right I guess if you lose to somebody who sounds half retarded everytime they open there mouth ala Nick and Nate Diaz. You should probably retire! :P

You arent really doing yourself any favours with comments like that.

The Penn that fought Kenny and Diego is clearly not the same that fights now' date=' he's a step or so slower with atrocious cardio and has become very one-dimensional, all he does is throw punches to the head, he's like a LW/WW version of Rampage. And I expected a quick finish against Hughes, Hughes is already Chuck Liddelling-it.[/quote']

Your right man BJ Penn should Retire. From the WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION where his Cardio is horrible.

At LW BJ is a monster. Every fight you guys are talking about is at WW. You cant talk sh*t about BJ at LW.

BJ comes out and out cardios cardio monsters at LW. Diego,Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian etc. Frankie Edgar is just really fast. Frankie is the one guy at LW that gives Penn real trouble. Everybody else gets smashed. I'm not even that big of a Penn fan but you guys all sound like Joe Rogan after every fight.

So what's next for you man? You gonna Retire? Sh*t I wouldn't be suprised if Rogan said that to Machida in his next fight.

I'm a huge BJ fan.

I'd like to see him take a low end top 10 fight at LW to see where he's at. If he doesn't get up for that kind of fight he's done.

He has NO chance at WW and at LW he only has a chance if he chooses to care. If he comes back hopefully he'll care to at least go out caring about a sport that just came natural.

Archived