Sign in to follow this  
g00ch

How/When did you become a MMA/UFC fan?

Im sure there are plenty of similar threads but I would like to know how you guys got introduced to the sport, I wasnt ever a big football (soccer) fan like everyone else I was always into boxing/kick boxing then in the mid 90`s I was lent a Vale Tudo video, Which led me get hold of those first few UFC videos

I can remember thinking how is this legal,

I did slightly lose interest during my late teens but soon got sucked back in and cant see myself changing any time soon,

Grew up watching boxing fights whenever Cesar Chavez and other hispanic fighters would fight. That got me first interested in combat sports.

Then I saw some PRIDE videos and was hooked instantly. Saw some King of the Cage too. Didn't get into UFC until after TUF. I was happy with PRIDE so I didn't really think of looking. Been hooked ever since.

Well I was watching boxing one day and they were clinching and I was like "What if one guy kneed the other in the balls? That would be AWESOME"

Then the next day I was watching Spike and I saw this Huge Black guy named Cheick Kongo in a Kinky black cage, fighting some white guy. And he clinched, pushed the white guy against the cage and then lifted his knee and smashed it right into the guys nads, and I was like OMG this sport is amazing...been a fan ever since.

A friend and I were in a video store in '94 and I saw the cover of UFC 2...we grabbed it as we were forever debating who the best fighters would really be if they had to face off...been a fan ever since...and yes, I am that old:mad:

Lol, can't remember, but I know the first time I saw anything MMA was a commercial for Diego vs Koscheck on TUF. It interested me, but I didn't do any research on it...

Then on a random day I watched a Matt Hughes tribute on UFC Unleashed. Then I started looking at his record and rival pool on Wiki and discovered Penn, GSP, and Serra. From around that time I bought UFC 111 and from then on I was hooked.

Plus I hated boxing for obvious reasons and other sports for not being entertaining to me as balls, goals and percentages don't translate to anything useful outside of competition...Steelers, or Charolette Hornets are cool though (That's right CHAROLETTE HORNETS!!! NOT BOBCATS)

Royce Gracie, then I stopped watching the ufc after like the first 5 and started watching mma again when tito faught griffin for the first time.

Well my dad is a former boxer and loves combat sports! So i took up wrestling, tae kwon do and boxing when i was a kid, one night my dad borrowed this dvd and it was a pride fight!! it was pretty beast, ever sense then ive watched every event live, attended UFC 66, 71, 79,92, and 100. aha im a very big liddell fan.

When they first started full contact karate in the 70's, Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Benny "the jet", etc. I always wanted to see martial artists in real fights. Then on UFC 1, I first saw jiu jitsu in a real fight, and was very impressed, even though I thought that event was set up for Gracie to win.

well i was watching boxing one day and they were clinching and i was like "what if one guy kneed the other in the balls? That would be awesome"

then the next day i was watching spike and i saw this huge black guy named cheick kongo in a kinky black cage' date=' fighting some white guy. And he clinched, pushed the white guy against the cage and then lifted his knee and smashed it right into the guys nads, and i was like omg this sport is amazing...been a fan ever since.[/quote']

lmao!!!!

Word

Decided to check it out after watching Frankie Edgar on True Life. Still didnt get into it. Was at college football training camp and they ordered UFC 87 for us and I finally caught on.

I was flipping through the channels and saw Urijah Faber slam a guy on his head lol. Later i had Cousins showed me some work from guys like BJ, Shogun, and Fedor and i have been hooked ever since.

i saw a movie cradle to the grave in 1999 and that fight scene between Tito and Jet Li was badass and after that i just started to research what the UFC was and how the rules of mma worked

(not really any rules back then)

Then i saw Wand and Hendo in PRIDE then started to learn about Chuck Liddell..

Watching Chuck vs Tito the first time was huge

Since then i've been watching fighting in all forms

K1 is good, Pride was great, UFC is pretty good

About 13 years now been watching mma/fighting in general

i saw a bunch of fights when i was a kid but i started to really get into MMA during UFC 101 (Silva-Forrest) twas a Forrest fan back then (still am tho') and was amazed on how Anderson tooled him.

Ken Shamrock heading into the WWF when I was about 10. Intrigued me that this guy was called the world's most dangerous man, so had to get my babysitter to rent a video of the UFC because my mum wouldn't let me get one. Hooked on submissions since. A prime Matt Hughes was the guy that made me start training.

i saw a movie cradle to the grave in 1999 and that fight scene between Tito and Jet Li was badass and after that i just started to research what the UFC was and how the rules of mma worked

then started to learn about Chuck Liddell..

Watching Chuck vs Tito the first time was huge

Since then i've been watching fighting in all forms

almost exactly the same story here... except Cradle 2 the grave came out in 03, and I didn't catch sight of mma until I was in the video shop just after watching cradle 2 the grave special features and a dvd caught my eye, on the cover was Chuck vs Tito. It was ufc 47 newly released. I was hooked after watching Nick Diaz vs Robbie Lawlor, Andrei Arlovki vs Cabbage, and of course Chuck vs Tito. Still to this day is my favorite knockout. there are better ones, but that one's my favorite.

I became a fan of mma while Chuck was knocking everyone out, and hired out dvds of all his, Randy's and Vitor's fights as well as Chuck's fights in pride.

I was in boxing for 3 years during my high school years and my budy told me about some crazy fighter highlight on youtube it was

Genki Sudo > Sakuraba > Axe Murder but what got me hook was Fedor :)

Im sure there are plenty of similar threads but I would like to know how you guys got introduced to the sport' date=' I wasnt ever a big football (soccer) fan like everyone else I was always into boxing/kick boxing then in the mid 90`s I was lent a Vale Tudo video, Which led me get hold of those first few UFC videos

I can remember thinking how is this legal,

I did slightly lose interest during my late teens but soon got sucked back in and cant see myself changing any time soon,[/quote']

I prefer boxing.

I've been watching casually for a long time, but it honestly wasn't until I saw Machida vs Shogun 1 that I became a die hard fan. I'd just never seen such a technique oriented fight before, and I was encamped with it. When I watch a fight, I try to imagine that these two men are fighting for the lives, and that every calculated move is significant in the end, so the feeling out process is very intense for me. I really enjoy it when the two fighters are standing on the outside studying one another, trying to anticipate what te other will do, and finally shoot in for brief yet significant exchanges. It is what I imagine a hand to hand battle would be if two men were fighting for their lives. In a fight like that, surely defense would be just as important as offense.

It feels like just yesterday that I was signing up to this forum thinking it was the Ultimate Fisting Collection... apparently no one here likes gay fisting images.

OMG i thought i was the only one.

For me it was UFC 1. My dad ordered it on TV and i was hooked, Was a young lad at the time but loved seeing Royce beating guys so much bigger then him.

After that i was always having submission fights with my friends. Good times .

Watchin Matt Hughes at UFC 45, 50 & 52. after those events I started going back and watching older fights and started keeping up with new fights and what not.

Though i said Matt Hughes some has to be attributed to randy couture vs Pedro Rizzo, Josh Barnett, & Chuck Liddell.

The year was 1993, I was aged 9. My dad being well versed in Electronics had an illegal black box. He looked at me and said, you seem to like fighting, you are always getting in fights in hockey and lacrosse, you've seen bloodsport 36 times in the last 5 years. He says, let me show what real fighters look like. Next thing I knew, my jaw was on the floor at this little 170lb brazilian, gui choking the **** out of mother ****ers, 6 times his size. Haven't looked back or missed an event since.

rented ufc 1 on pay per view.

had to see all the different styles fight it out.

3 fights in one night was sick, and the strikes allowed legaly were crazy.

those guys had big balls for getting in those fights (not saying fighters now lack any) but that was a whole different beast then.

remember some russian getting his head kneed hard against fence while he was down, and some ranger dude who when bell rang ran out to center and got dropped hard with knee to head. think those were ufc 3 or so.

good that they cleaned up rules and such because someone would have died by now and as impressive as 3 fights in one night is im glad they did away with that too.

good to see the fight game evolve.

btw if you didnt start with ufc 1 = noob :)

i started to train muay thai when i was 12 i got into it because i watched some random highlight videos of chuck liddell, hendo, mirko and then started to watch the ufc and follow it and watched easily over 100-300 older fights since !