Sign in to follow this  
legionarivs6

Tell me why I shouldn't become a cop

I am a Caucasian male, but I'm also fluent in three languages. I'm asking because I'm a uni student right now and I really don't know what I want to do, but I've always admired cops and I've always imagined it must be a really exhilarating job.

Its a good job if you're ready for the challenges.

- High stress

- Long hours

- Potentially life threatening situations daily

- Like 6-8 months of training you must pass

- Little to no respect from like half the citizens you meet

- While you're able to use your discretion, sometime you must write people "unjust tickets" for minor offenses

- If you live where you work, you have situations where you must arrest/ticket/warn friends and family

- Can be very straining on relationships (Wife, friends, family, children)

- Enforce laws you may not personally agree with

- LEO's tend to have a higher percentage for things like depression, alcoholism, anger issues

Yeah. I feel it must also be one of those jobs where you actually BECOME your profession. I wouldn't want to become some hard a$$ that doesn't know how to let loose and mess around once in a while.

Kinda like, you're either on one side of the law or the other. And when you become a cop, you stay with the law.

If you want to die young being a cop in a crime infested city would be entertaining if you like living then be prepared to write bs traffic tickets at all times throughout the day. I will also hate you if you become a cop

Well for starters you would be hated by the vast majority of people that you try to protect' date=' which just seems to be the way it goes.[/quote']

When you see cops abusing their power as our protectors on a daily basis you are prob going to be hated at least a little.

I am a Caucasian male' date=' but I'm also fluent in three languages. I'm asking because I'm a uni student right now and I really don't know what I want to do, but I've always admired cops and [b']I've always imagined it must be a really exhilarating job.[/b]

uhhh... no. You start off on traffic duty or some crap. standing around for hours on end. You work when your friends and family are doing their thing, partying or bbqs or whatever... you miss out on public holidays because that's the busiest time for cops. You deal with all the scum that society has to offer. You will get so bored that you will make a big deal out of nothing and become just another one of those cops that everyone hates. You know the types. The slightest sign of being uncooperative and the cop treats you like a mass murderer, using excessive force to subdue an injured old lady who moved her hand too close to her pocket or something ridiculous.

Don't be a cop, if you want excitement go travelling, or do some fun activities or something...skydiving, rock climbing, shoot a gun. build a racecar, something you like... go to night clubs, watch drunken idiots get into brawls (because that's the highlight of a cops day) and then you get to go try and pick up chicks. You don't need to dedicate your life to putting up with scum because it might be exciting maybe occasionally.

If you become a cop you will get to see some dead bodies maybe (yay! :rolleyes:) and listen to people try and talk their way out of a ticket, day in, day out.

Cops are wankers. Simple. I know good guys who joined SAPOL (south australian police) and watched them slowly turn into picks. Forced to make 'sales targets by picking on bs crime. J walking ffs.

I could not think of a pression I have less time in the day for. Seriously, I spent about 40 seconds writing this about them and Im disgusted with myself for time wasting already

do what your passionate about man.. i really hope the guys on the forum aren't influencing your decision as a whole especially with a yes or no answer

so from what you've seen do you want to go through the downsides?

are you able to cope with the fact that your working with other corrupt officers?

do you want to make an example of what a 'good' cop should be?

are you willing to go through quite a bit of time training? (depends which country your at)

I reccomend you ask some police officers your self yeah?

of course you'll get many cop haters.. we've all seen some bs here and there, but i respect the cops out there who are doing their job properly and making me feel safe, i personally know a few (did work experience with em when i was 15)

if you ask for my opinion, i dislike the modern day policeman's attitude, the way they take advantage of their position and stay away from trouble (which makes no sense huh) that's the first thing i think when someone talks about cops

Cops are wankers. Simple. I know good guys who joined SAPOL (south australian police) and watched them slowly turn into picks. Forced to make 'sales targets by picking on bs crime. J walking ffs.

I could not think of a pression I have less time in the day for. Seriously' date=' I spent about 40 seconds writing this about them and Im disgusted with myself for time wasting already[/quote']

People who hate cops are usually young drunks.

My friends a cop and completely hates it. Hes trying to transfer to the airport branch of LV Metro.

The pay isnt worth the stress. Everybody hates you. Its a job IMO for the people that are cant get a real job.

Go study off the internet how to program and write code. Thats a comfy HIGH HIGH paying low stress job.

I like the police and appreciate that they have a hard job, what I don't like is the immensely complicated set of laws in the UK

Considering you've been hit with every angle of a negatively-biased opinion, I figure I should throw in my side of the argument.

I've grown up around cops my entire life. My dad is a police officer, and through him, I've seen just about every kind of cop you could imagine. Good cops, bad cops, lazy cops, corrupt cops, etc. But one thing I have noticed is that the majority of the cops I've met have been great guys.

The thing is, some people genuinely like to help others. If that kind of thing is for you, than you might want to be a cop. Sure, you're probably gonna start out handing out traffic tickets, and it'll suck, but from what I've seen, it ends up being worth it.

However, as some of the posters have said, cops tend to have higher depression rates, and if you're not able to cope with the stress, it'll tear your family apart.

And to all the posters saying that they hate cops and that they're all corrupt, **** you. You're all a bunch of spoiled ******* and you have no idea what real police brutality is. One of my co-workers grew up in Armenia, and he truly knows what it's like to grow up with corrupt police.

Most of the people complaining probably got busted for pot, or got a DUI, and now have a personel vendetta against law enforcement officers. Grow up.

Become a soldier' date=' they get to rape and pillage in the name of freedom.[/quote']

Still mad & gotten to boy...

Your fetish for him is unhealthy, but comical at the same time.

People who hate cops are usually young drunks.

got busted a few times when i was young but that's not why i dislike their image.. i actually encourage them to catch those teens, the ones here in syd are rats these days..

it's from what i've seen, stuff like security guards beating people up and cops just walk straight past after spotting them.. three stripes on both shoulders, and the *** just looks.. does that sound right?

as i've said though, there are some great guy/girl (hot ones too) cops out there, it's unfortunate these guys don't get enough praise

Considering you've been hit with every angle of a negatively-biased opinion' date=' I figure I should throw in my side of the argument.

I've grown up around cops my entire life. My dad is a police officer, and through him, I've seen just about every kind of cop you could imagine. Good cops, bad cops, lazy cops, corrupt cops, etc. But one thing I have noticed is that the majority of the cops I've met have been great guys.

The thing is, some people genuinely like to help others. If that kind of thing is for you, than you might want to be a cop. Sure, you're probably gonna start out handing out traffic tickets, and it'll suck, but from what I've seen, it ends up being worth it.

However, as some of the posters have said, cops tend to have higher depression rates, and if you're not able to cope with the stress, it'll tear your family apart.

[b']And to all the posters saying that they hate cops and that they're all corrupt, **** you. You're all a bunch of spoiled ******* and you have no idea what real police brutality is. One of my co-workers grew up in Armenia, and he truly knows what it's like to grow up with corrupt police.

Most of the people complaining probably got busted for pot, or got a DUI, and now have a personel vendetta against law enforcement officers. Grow up[/b].

Haha so I am not allowed to dislike Police and call them corrupt because they weren't corrupt to me? That's insane. I don't know when I started not liking police officers. Maybe as a kid watching video's of them beating the **** out of defenseless citizens. Maybe it was the third time an off duty cop shot someone at the bars near my house. I don't know for sure.

I also don't like the hypocrisy of our Law enforcement. They give tickets for crimes most of them commit on a daily basis. Also you might say o that's only a small amount of police officers that abuse their power. All it takes is one. When you are given a such a great responsibility than nobody can abuse it. It's not like we can just take justice into our own hands. Instead we have to get video evidence of them just brutally beating the **** out of us and put it on the news to get anything done.

Ya got me tho I do have a DUI. So I guess I'm just immature and need to spend a little more time growing up rather than being pissed on how they abuse a system which you even admitted your self.

Don't be a cop because the government will corrupt you.

When SHTF, the police force will terrorize the US citizens, and you will be part of that evil faction.

hmmm, a lot of good insight in this thread. to those saying "you have to deal with ****heads and drunks and junkies all day" yeah most likely when I'm starting off on patrol, but I'm thinking if I were to become a cop I'd probably aim for detective eventually. either way, yeah there is a big hate towards cops these days and yes I see the videos of police brutality, but honestly if I can help some people I think I would like that.

not to mention good pay + benefits + good vacations + awesome pension

maybe it's not smart to be thinking of things like that if I want to become a cop but you can't deny cops have great circumstances

Haha so I am not allowed to dislike Police and call them corrupt because they weren't corrupt to me? That's insane. I don't know when I started not liking police officers. Maybe as a kid watching video's of them beating the **** out of defenseless citizens. Maybe it was the third time an off duty cop shot someone at the bars near my house. I don't know for sure.

I also don't like the hypocrisy of our Law enforcement. They give tickets for crimes most of them commit on a daily basis. Also you might say o that's only a small amount of police officers that abuse their power. All it takes is one. When you are given a such a great responsibility than nobody can abuse it. It's not like we can just take justice into our own hands. Instead we have to get video evidence of them just brutally beating the **** out of us and put it on the news to get anything done.

Ya got me tho I do have a DUI. So I guess I'm just immature and need to spend a little more time growing up rather than being pissed on how they abuse a system which you even admitted your self.

I did admit that there was corruption. However' date=' I also stated that it was a small portion of cops. You're going to hate the majority of good cops because of the minority of bad ones?

It doesn't matter what proffession you're in, there's gonna be some people who abuse their power. It could be the cops, the milkman, the CEO of WalMart, or the ****ing cashier at McDonalds.

That doesn't make that proffession bad, and to assume a blind hatred towards them is unjust. It's the people that are corrupt. To hate [i']all cops for that reason seems a little childish to me.

I think it's sad that the general consensus of cops is brutality and general distrust. Sorry but I can't agree with this thread and giving you a reason to not become a cop. If you want to do it, then you should go for it and be one of awesome cops that give the profession a GOOD name.

hmmm' date=' a lot of good insight in this thread. to those saying "you have to deal with ****heads and drunks and junkies all day" yeah most likely when I'm starting off on patrol, but I'm thinking if I were to become a cop I'd probably aim for detective eventually. either way, yeah there is a big hate towards cops these days and yes I see the videos of police brutality, but honestly if I can help some people I think I would like that.

not to mention good pay + benefits + good vacations + awesome pension

maybe it's not smart to be thinking of things like that if I want to become a cop but you can't deny cops have great circumstances[/quote']

I'm a criminal justice major in school so just wanted to give ya some tips.

1. Depending where you live, you will probably need at least a AAS degree in CJ for a police job anymore.

2. Everyone wants to be a detective so it's extremely hard to even be considered for a role like that until you show excellent proficiency in many areas. That can take many many years.

Its a good job if you're ready for the challenges.

- High stress

- Long hours

- Potentially life threatening situations daily

- Like 6-8 months of training you must pass

- Little to no respect from like half the citizens you meet

- While you're able to use your discretion' date=' sometime you must write people "unjust tickets" for minor offenses

- If you live where you work, you have situations where you must arrest/ticket/warn friends and family

- Can be very straining on relationships (Wife, friends, family, children)

- Enforce laws you may not personally agree with

- LEO's tend to have a higher percentage for things like depression, alcoholism, anger issues[/quote']

Then there's protect the buddy system and lie for your fellow cops.

Let influential people like judges, mayors, tv stars off the hook.

Following orders to sit in your car to catch speeders to generate money while gang bangers are dealing drugs and stealing.

Beating up citizens when they peacefully protest, defend the corporations.

The list goes on and on.

I got arrested for being drunk in public. The police officer who took me in the whole time i was in the back he had country music playing and was dipping killed my buzz but i had to wait 3 hours for them to let me go. His partner my god a fat pig looking mofo most ****y cop i've ever met.

My father-in-law was a cop for 25 years. I get to hear a lot of stories; really messed up stuff. When he retired he was very happy, like a huge burden had been lifted from his shoulders. Almost nothing he has ever spoken about the job has had any kind of positive message to it. He said the stuff you see on the news is hard enough to handle...it's the details of some of the crimes that they won't allow to be reported about, that are the hardest to deal with.

Death your more likely to die considering all the situations you could be in I would post some video links of things that could happen but they are to graphic and disturbing to post here I don't want to get banned again, but much respect for chooseing that occupation.

Then there's protect the buddy system and lie for your fellow cops.

Let influential people like judges' date=' mayors, tv stars off the hook.

Following orders to sit in your car to catch speeders to generate money while gang bangers are dealing drugs and stealing.

Beating up citizens when they peacefully protest, defend the corporations.

The list goes on and on.[/quote']

It's rare to have a truly peaceful protest. I feel like ****ing up Occupy Oakland sometimes.