I don't understand the "JBJ is too big" complaint

the_bear413

He's tall and has a long reach. I get that. But he makes 206 every fight without fail.

To me, there's three types of fighters. Type 1 would be the tall and skinny. Type 2 would be the short and muscular. The third is somewhere in the middle. Unless of course a fighter decides to fight at his natural weight to improve stamina, but none of the champions in the bottom 6 weightclasses do that, although Edgar did successfully defend his belt three times by doing that, but was eventually beaten by the larger Benderson.

I don't hear anyone saying that Stefan Struve is too tall. The guy has like 6 inches on everyone else in the division. I think the reason we don't hear anything about it is because he doesn't win a lot. Now that Jones is champion and Gustaf is climbing the ladder, people are complaining more and more without realizing that these guys are the future.

With the exception of baseball, every contact sport is all about height, speed, and strength. Athletes find an equilibrium between the three and it helps them succeed at whatever position they play in their respective sport. Jones and Gustafson have done no different here, yet they're ostracized by the community for it.

Isn't overcoming your opponents physical advantages a big part of fighting?

People that complain about this are just people who hate Jones and think he is scared of moving up.

I agree that when he does move up it's going to be a lot more challenging although I still see him clearing out the division right up until the top 5 maybe 3 where I think he'll finally lose but until then stop complaining he's doing nothing wrong.

I understand what you are saying but his body frame is much bigger than everyone else he fights and it's really annoying.

but a lot more fighters than just him abuse the freedom to cut as much weight as they want.

they should have less time to put on weight before a fight imo.

I understand what you are saying but his body frame is much bigger than everyone else he fights and it's really annoying.

but a lot more fighters than just him abuse the freedom to cut as much weight as they want.

Yeah they can cut as much weight as they want but it comes at a price, if they cut too much or don't do it right, they'll be running on an empty gas tank. Besides, Jones isn't the only one cutting all that weight.

He always makes weight. End of story.

The "too big for his weight class" arguments are null and void as soon as they begin. If a fighter can make weight, he is a rightful member of said division.

I would love to see JBJ try his had and heavyweight eventually (maybe in a year or two), but right now I think he needs to stay at LHW. He's very tall for the division and his extreme reach is always mentioned, but the guy isn't thick and doesn't have a big frame. During the Evans fight I was reminded how small and stick like his legs are. He's a very gangly, lean guy and I think he's in the right weight class right now. If he added more bulk and muscle, I think he'd make a good heavyweight.

I think Silva might be a weightclass too big. He's Jones' size but a weightclass lower, I dont understand how he gets away with it. I really want to see him move up to LHW. Until he does that, he shouldnt be qualified for P4P. It's fair to say he's the best MW ever, sure. But until he wins a belt at LHW, where he should be fighting then he isnt P4P.

Especially when he actively ducks fighting at LHW.

Are you kidding me with this? Stop using Stefan Struve as an example. That's silly. Stefan Struve is outweighed by his entire division... If Jones's size isn't a factor, then why is it that everytime he's talked about, his freakish frame and reach and length are the first things I hear? He has the longest reach in the UFC! Including the heavyweight division!!! Come on people... The guy is visibly bigger than Andrei Arlovski.

Are you kidding me with this? Stop using Stefan Struve as an example. That's silly. Stefan Struve is outweighed by his entire division... If Jones's size isn't a factor' date=' then why is it that everytime he's talked about, his freakish frame and reach and length are the first things I hear? He has the longest reach in the UFC! Including the heavyweight division!!! Come on people... The guy is visibly bigger than Andrei Arlovski.[/quote']

Like I said many times before why doesn't Cyrille Diabate get this same criticism who Is a 6ft6 81.5reach light heavyweight. Is it because he isn't winning??? Compare him to most light heavys and he also bigger compared to them but nobody complains about him now do you so the bias in that

He always makes weight. End of story.

The "too big for his weight class" arguments are null and void as soon as they begin. If a fighter can make weight' date=' he is a rightful member of said division.

I would love to see JBJ try his had and heavyweight eventually (maybe in a year or two), but right now I think he needs to stay at LHW. He's very tall for the division and his extreme reach is always mentioned, but the guy isn't thick and doesn't have a big frame. During the Evans fight I was reminded how small and stick like his legs are. He's a very gangly, lean guy and I think he's in the right weight class right now. If he added more bulk and muscle, I think he'd make a good heavyweight.[/quote']

This. All of this said, I'm rooting hard for Hendo.

It's obviously because Diabate is a ****ing kickboxer, not a mixed martial artist! Why do you think Hong Man Choi has such a terrible record? You can throw any super heavyweight boxer into the UFC's heavyweight division, watch them los, and ask, "Well, why isn't this guy winning...? Durrr." You KNOW that's not a fitting comparison.

Jones should be at HW

Silva should be at LHW

Gsp should be at MW

Henderson could be at WW

Aldo could be at LW (but he would be a small LW)

Most of the champs should be fighting at a weight class above but they choose to cut weight and dominate their divisions. As long as they can make the weight I don't see the problem as there is a huge list of fighters also cutting weight in all divisions!

Saying that I don't think anyone can argue thats Jons reach is the biggest advantage anyone has in MMA. I think he is a skilled well rounded fighter, but without the reach he would just be another one of the top 5 LHW that could win or lose against the other top 4 on any given night!

Probably true, I always liked Bones because from the first time I saw him, every fight after he seemed to get better. Although I'll be the first one to say, against Rashad, I found him, if anything a little careless. Even against Page, he seemed worried to fight. I hope next fight against Hendo he comes out and uses some takedowns for elbows again, and in turn I hope Dan swarms him from the get go with bombs, chases him to the fence and tries to push the pressure. Looking forward to it.

I think Silva might be a weightclass too big. He's Jones' size but a weightclass lower' date=' I dont understand how he gets away with it. I really want to see him move up to LHW. Until he does that, he shouldnt be qualified for P4P. It's fair to say he's the best MW ever, sure. But until he wins a belt at LHW, where he should be fighting then he isnt P4P.

Especially when he actively ducks fighting at LHW.[/quote']

Come on man Silva has had 2 fights at LHW!

Dana has said since the BJ vs GSP fight that if a champ wants to fight at the weight class above that they have to release the title!

If you were Anderson would you choose to stop your record breaking title defense run and give up your belt just to see how you go at a bigger weight class?

sorry but this comment is absolutely ridiculous and i can hardly contain myself

jones can fight at any weight class he wants, as long as he can make the weight on time. same with any fighter

you guys just have penis envy and feel the need to hate on him over any little thing you can come up with because you dont like him and would love to see nothing more than to see him get pounded out some 265 pound gorilla, because at LHW nobody can stop him.

We've seen this with many fighters. they clean out their division and all of a sudden they are expected to move up a weight class? hell no. if you are champion you are doing it right. you shouldn't have to adjust your whole game when you are succeeding just to please some meathead fans. the rest of your division should either get better, or switch weight classes to avoid you

Come on man Silva has had 2 fights at LHW!

Dana has said since the BJ vs GSP fight that if a champ wants to fight at the weight class above that they have to release the title!

If you were Anderson would you choose to stop your record breaking title defense run and give up your belt just to see how you go at a bigger weight class?

If I was anderson I'd probably be a little bored walking through people two weight classes lower then me and I'd want a new challenge.

I think Silva might be a weightclass too big. He's Jones' size but a weightclass lower' date=' I dont understand how he gets away with it. I really want to see him move up to LHW. Until he does that, he shouldnt be qualified for P4P. It's fair to say he's the best MW ever, sure. But until he wins a belt at LHW, where he should be fighting then he isnt P4P.

Especially when he actively ducks fighting at LHW.[/quote']

I was going to use him as an example as well, but simply forgot.

Are you kidding me with this? Stop using Stefan Struve as an example. That's silly. Stefan Struve is outweighed by his entire division... If Jones's size isn't a factor' date=' then why is it that everytime he's talked about, his freakish frame and reach and length are the first things I hear? He has the longest reach in the UFC! Including the heavyweight division!!! Come on people... The guy is visibly bigger than Andrei Arlovski.[/quote']

Jones weighs exactly the same as his opponents the day before the fight. He weighed the same as Rashad. He weighed the same as Rampage. He weighed the same as Machida. He weighed the same as Shogun. You're acting like he miraculously packs on 45 pounds in 1 night.

One other thing I hear about Jones every time he's talked about by MMA analysts is how much talent he has. The only people saying. "he only wins because of his size", are forum users.

If I was anderson I'd probably be a little bored walking through people two weight classes lower then me and I'd want a new challenge.

Yeah but he didn't walk through sonnen though and a rematch with Vitor would be interesting!

I'd like to see him fight at 205 and make a run for the belt for sure, but I can't blame him for wanting to stay at MW and increase the records he is setting!

Jones weighs exactly the same as his opponents the day before the fight. He weighed the same as Rashad. He weighed the same as Rampage. He weighed the same as Machida. He weighed the same as Shogun. You're acting like he miraculously packs on 45 pounds in 1 night.

One other thing I hear about Jones every time he's talked about by MMA analysts is how much talent he has. The only people saying. "he only wins because of his size"' date=' are forum users.[/quote']

Yeah its stupid to say he only wins because of size, he obviously has skill too, I don't think his skill is any greater than Machida, Shogun or Rashad though!

If their reach was even the fights would be very close and hard to call who would win imo

Yeah its stupid to say he only wins because of size' date=' he obviously has skill too, I don't think his skill is any greater than Machida, Shogun or Rashad though!

If their reach was even the fights would be very close and hard to call who would win imo[/quote']

No. If machida was 64 he wouldnt be as quick or as cordnated thats like saying if champ baily was 65 he could cover better when you change sizes your whole body does. It changes quickness cordnation power everything.

No. If machida was 64 he wouldnt be as quick or as cordnated thats like saying if champ baily was 65 he could cover better when you change sizes your whole body does. It changes quickness cordnation power everything.

I see what your saying and agree that those things could change but it is not a garantee!

There are a number of special atheletes out there!

Are you saying that if Machida was 6'4 with the same reach that Jones would be more cordinated than him?

He could be but then again who is to know for sure?

ppl are trying to find ways to discredit him cuz he's not white.

just like anderson silva. how the f can ANYONE have ANYTHING bad to say about anderson silva as a fighter?

gsp made a living beating up on LW's (Hughes, Penn, Sherk, Serra), but no one seemed to care.

idk the easiest way to put it is that as humans we have to use the skills that we have. bones uses his long body, hendo uses his power, leben uses his chin literally. in football darren sproles is 56 he is quick as **** if sproles was 63 he wouldnt even be close to the same type of player. you use what you have when you say "if someone was this" it doesnt work that way cuz if you add 2 inchs and 30 pounds everything changes on a body.

Umm WRONG,he does NOT make 206 every fight he makes 206 for the weigh ins ,there is a BIG difference there.Weigh ins SHOULD mean absolutely nothing but in fact they are the fight before the fight,the cheating game,really sad imo i want to know who the REAL champions at REAL weight limits are.

Umm WRONG' date='he does NOT make 206 every fight he makes 206 for the weigh ins ,there is a BIG difference there.Weigh ins SHOULD mean absolutely nothing but in fact they are the fight before the fight,the cheating game,really sad imo i want to know who the REAL champions at REAL weight limits are.[/quote']

He makes weight, he takes care of business; my advice, preparation H bro:eek:

One other thing I hear about Jones every time he's talked about by MMA analysts is how much talent he has. The only people saying. "he only wins because of his size"' date=' are forum users.[/quote']

Lol! Smh...

He's tall and has a long reach. I get that. But he makes 206 every fight without fail.

To me' date=' there's three types of fighters. Type 1 would be the tall and skinny. Type 2 would be the short and muscular. The third is somewhere in the middle. Unless of course a fighter decides to fight at his natural weight to improve stamina, but none of the champions in the bottom 6 weightclasses do that, although Edgar did successfully defend his belt three times by doing that, but was eventually beaten by the larger Benderson.

I don't hear anyone saying that Stefan Struve is too tall. The guy has like 6 inches on everyone else in the division. I think the reason we don't hear anything about it is because he doesn't win a lot. Now that Jones is champion and Gustaf is climbing the ladder, people are complaining more and more without realizing that these guys are the future.

With the exception of baseball, every contact sport is all about height, speed, and strength. Athletes find an equilibrium between the three and it helps them succeed at whatever position they play in their respective sport. Jones and Gustafson have done no different here, yet they're ostracized by the community for it.[/quote']

People need to stop bringing up Stefan Struve when talking about JBJ.

Struve has little/no skill on the feet, so he has no idea how to use his reach, and he is WAY too tall for his own good (hinders his striking, leverage, center of gravity, etc.).

JBJ and Gustafsson have nearly perfect (proportionally) height and reach. Their height doesn't hinder their striking or leverage, it just makes them a more difficult target for their opponent. And their reach speaks for itself.

If they give them less time to gain the weight back (which amounts to rehydrating) they will just end up still cutting the weight anyways but fighting in an unhealthy/safe condition. This was proven over and over in boxing over the years and is the reason they now do weigh-ins the day before a fight.

If they give them less time to gain the weight back (which amounts to rehydrating) they will just end up still cutting the weight anyways but fighting in an unhealthy/safe condition. This was proven over and over in boxing over the years and is the reason they now do weigh-ins the day before a fight.

/facts!!

You realize this is a UFC.com forum, and facts are ignored by the haters right?

JBJ walks around at the same weight as Anderson Silva. He is NOT a big LHW' date=' he is just tall with a long reach. Forrest is way bigger than JBJ, but has openly said he wouldn't want to fight JBJ.

Haters gunna hate...[/quote']

Anderson and JBJ walking at the same weight u could say that...

but there is a HUGE difference in the type of weight they supposedly "walk around in"

JBJ is always ripped fighting almost every 3 months camp after camp

Anderson has a belly when hes at that weight.

ignorant noobs, gonna be ignorant.

but there is a HUGE difference in the type of weight they supposedly "walk around in"

ignorant noobs' date=' gonna be ignorant.[/quote']

So because he stays in shape and makes weight, but has a large frame he's too big for LHW?

What I don't understand is how Rampage misses weight and Bonnar's reach is only '4 off the mark of JBJ and they're not oversized for the division.

These claims are idiotic. Be even in your arguments.

To me' date=' there's three types of fighters. Type 1 would be the tall and skinny. Type 2 would be the short and muscular. The third is somewhere in the middle. Unless of course a fighter decides to fight at his natural weight to improve stamina, but none of the champions in the bottom 6 weightclasses do that, although Edgar did successfully defend his belt three times by doing that, but was eventually beaten by the larger Benderson.

With the exception of baseball, every contact sport is all about height, speed, and strength. Athletes find an equilibrium between the three and it helps them succeed at whatever position they play in their respective sport. Jones and Gustafson have done no different here, yet they're ostracized by the community for it.[/quote']

This needs to be run thru the hate translator a few times before the JBJ hate brigade can comprehend it.

ignorant noobs' date=' gonna be ignorant.[/quote']

So Anderson should drop another 15 down and challenge GSP then...

I have no gripes with Jones' size. I do believe that he should be fighting at HW, where he belongs ( he is a HUGE LHW) but if the man makes the cut every time then we cannot complain.

And besides, his less logical/reasonable haters can be as delusional as they like, but I still acknowledge his success is due to a combination of his extreme size and his extreme talent.

I hate the guy as much as ANYBODY, but wake up people, he is a TRUE phenom, perhaps the greatest the sport has ever seen thus far. It's not just his size and frame that is winning him fights.

To help the OP:

The "JBJ is too big complaint" is essentially an argument the the MMA fighter Jon Bones Jones ("JBJ") is much taller and longer ("too big") than his opponents. That's what people mean when they make a "JBJ is too big complaint."

discuss thanx

Wow' date=' thanks Pete!

[img']http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CJ90unulWuI/TowR1r3wRkI/AAAAAAAAAY0/lF5n-y_BLYk/s1600/knowledge-is-power.jpg[/img]