Sign in to follow this  
the_bear413

Thoughts on Silva vs Sonnen 2

Throughout the pre-fight hype, I thought for sure it was Sonnen that was in Silva's head. Silva was the one acting uncharacteristically in the media while Sonnen just kept his calm demeanor and continued to use his rehearsed one liners like he always had. But I think it was clear in the fight who outspoke who.

5 seconds into the first round, Sonnen gets a takedown. I couldn't help but laugh since it was almost unanimously believed by Silva fans that it wouldn't happen. Seeing Sonnen get the mount in the first round really gave me hope as well. In the first fight, he didn't even try to pass, maybe once or twice when he thought there was an opening, but he was content just sitting in full guard and I thought that was a mistake, because when you do that for an entire fight, you become predictable, and in the end that proved to be correct. Also worth noting was how Sonnen went for a kamura. I fully believe that Sonnen was going to try submitting him as much as possible, but that's irrelevant at this point.

The second round starts and Sonnen pushes him against the cage. A big mistake he made was when he dropped down for the double. Anderson had a wide base and there was just no way he was completing that TD. His next takedown attempt was just as bad. He had no regard for technique and just tried to out-muscle him.

Then, it happened. I've never double-facepalmed so hard in my life. I don't even think Sonnen can come up with an excuse for that spinning elbow. Like, if it had been somewhat close, you could say it wasn't the worst decision a fighter has made. But he missed by about 4 feet. I can say with confidence that I could have thrown a better spinning elbow. The thought would never have crossed my mind, but I still would have done it better.

When Sonnen fell down, I knew it was over. I saw the look on his face as his back was against the cage, he was scared. He didn't know what to do, so he just put his hands over his face and took the beating.

I'm disappointed in Sonnen's performance. He was incredibly sloppy with his strikes and his takedown attempts in the 2nd. He looked too desperate. I'll talk more about that later.

Congratulations Anderson, you truly are the greatest there's ever been.

Now, to touch on some hot topics.

1) Grabbing the shorts.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Anderson grabbed the shorts. It's MMA, these things happen. It's all part of the game. The one complaint I have about it doesn't even have to do with Anderson. At 3:52, you can see Yves Lavigne try to grab Silva's hand in an attempt to take it off of the shorts. As a referee, if you have a problem with something a fighter is doing, you don't ****ing get involved as fists are still flying. You stop the fight and officially warn them. It's not a big deal, but it was still wrong what Yves tried to do.

2) The knee

It was clean. You'll hear no complaints from me. As far as I'm concerned, the fight was lost about 10 seconds before the knee when Sonnen decided to take a seat. Whether or not Silva's thigh grazed Sonnen's head is up for debate, but a thigh is not a knee. It's near the knee, but again, it's not a knee.

3) Sonnen's appeal

I'm going to lose a lot of respect for Sonnen if he files an appeal. I can't root for someone that has a terrible performance and tries to get the fight thrown out on a technicality. It's a b*tch move. I mean if it were like the 4th round and Sonnen was up 30-27 and Silva poked him in the eye or hit him in the groin and the fight got stopped shortly there after, yeah, I'd put my viking helmet on and be screaming for a 3rd fight. But come on Chael. You blew it. Move up to 205 and go on with your career.

4) Sonnen and his T:E levels

I've been reading threads about how "this is what Sonnen looks like with normal T:E levels" but testosterone had nothing to do with that fight. Maybe in the later rounds it would have effected him, but maybe not. What did testosterone have to do with sloppy, telegraphed takedown attempts? What did testosterone have to do with a spinning elbow that missed by 4 feet? It didn't play a factor. Sonnen's stupidity is to blame for this loss.

As a sidenote, someone tell jduk I give him permission to welch on our account bet. I tried to let him off the hook about 2 months ago but he insisted we keep the agreement.

3) Sonnen's appeal

I'm going to lose a lot of respect for Sonnen if he files an appeal. I can't root for someone that has a terrible performance and tries to get the fight thrown out on a technicality. It's a b*tch move. I mean if it were like the 4th round and Sonnen was up 30-27 and Silva poked him in the eye or hit him in the groin and the fight got stopped shortly there after' date=' yeah, I'd put my viking helmet on and be screaming for a 3rd fight. But come on Chael. You blew it. Move up to 205 and go on with your career.

[/quote']

his team called for the appeal, not sonnen