Sign in to follow this  
bluesy

UFC looking to book superfight if GSP beats Condit

Wow, this thing could finally happen. Silva seems to be waiting on it adamantly and Lorenzo is pushing hard for it.

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_13998.shtml

Dana reveals the plan today, as well, but maintains that anything could happen.

http://www.mmafighting.com/ufc/2012/8/2/3215896/dana-white-hints-at-anderson-silva-vs-georges-st-pierre-super-fight

Lmao, i love it! The UFC looks past Carlos again and he spoils their plans again. Everybody keep underestimating him and counting him out, he will keep racking up finishes.

They better tease GSP with some good money because he wants no piece of Anderson right now

A humorous thought and a real possibility, if it's a Catchweight we can assume 178lbs which will be a harsh weight cut for Anderson while turning 39....What if they make this the fight to prove the best fighter on the face of the earth market it like crazy and Georges ends up controlling and gassing Anderson to a decision? That would be very bad for the sport...Are they really relying on Anderson landing a Matrix knockout? I mean there's a very real possibility Georges will win, he is the best wrestler and mixed martial arts grappler Anderson has ever faced, he's the fastest guys Anderson's ever faced and probably the most skilled and intelligent and without a doubt athletic.

Not sure, we'll see. I never thought the seize difference between Anderson and Georges was THAT BAD, where as I always felt the size different between Anderson and Jones was insane. Okay Anderson walks around about 220 but that's because he's old and gets old man weight, him and Hendo both naturally stayed below 200lbs almost their entire careers, long into their thirties were never big Middleweights, they've aged they're 40 now basically, they naturally carry more weight and the cut to Middleweight has gotten a lot harder. But this isn't sheer size, it's fat and excess girth making Hendo walk around 210 instead of his old 195 or Anderson's 220 instead of his old 200lbs.

Anyways, awesome fight to find out how great they really are, but it kind of seems like a Sonnen repeat though GSP is better everywhere than Sonnen could dream to be it's still just that guy, looking to avoid the striking exchanges, explode on an opening get it to the mat and stifle rounds away. Anderson will be looking for his moments to counter and land the fight winning strike...it's just no different, people fighting Anderson with fear and desperation isn't interesting to me at all, I think Anderson is far from unbeatable but the way people approach him you have to expect they'll lose.

yeah' date=' Silva is huge compared to him[/quote']

Height and frame-wise, Anderson is pretty much the same size as Condit. But GSP has a lot of muscle and a wider build; definitely has the edge in the strength department.

I think Sonnen is a better wrestler but GSP is much more intelligent inside the octagon.

Sonnen panicked when Silva stuffed his takedown in the 2nd round.

I agree that Anderson is not unbeatable, no one is, and if you believe that someone's unbeatable you're probably just a fanboy

Height and frame-wise' date=' Anderson is pretty much the same size as Condit. But GSP has a lot of muscle and a wider build; definitely has the edge in the strength department.[/quote']

carlos is 6'2

I think Sonnen is a better wrestler but GSP is much more intelligent inside the octagon.

Sonnen panicked when Silva stuffed his takedown in the 2nd round.

I agree that Anderson is not unbeatable' date=' no one is, and if you believe that someone's unbeatable you're probably just a fanboy[/quote']

At 178lbs I can confidently say GSP is a FAR SUPERIOR WRESTLER than Chael Sonnen could dream to be, at 185 Sonnen has an argument simply because he's a bit physically stronger and has more mass to him. That being said GSP's speed and timing, along with balance and athleticism makes me relatively confident he's a better wrestler than Weidman or Sonnen even at 185lbs. GSP may fight safe and be boring, but he is a freak athlete with superb work ethics, one of the most skilled guys on the planet this shouldn't be forgotten.

Me Against The World- wouldnt you say you have to fight with a bit of fear against Andersons striking? We've seen him knock a LHW down and just about out with what looked like be a half hearted jab.

I'm not saying be Leites or Maia, but if GSP didn't throw one strike the whole fight and landed successful TD after successful TD, grinding Andy out to a win, don't you have to say he fought the perfect fight considering that's already his style for the most part. He would have avoided silvas most dangerous tool, striking, and found a way to do what no opponent inside the UFC has managed to do, beat the spider.

Beat arguably the best striker ever with arguably the best wrestling ever.

Me Against The World- wouldnt you say you have to fight with a bit of fear against Andersons striking? We've seen him knock a LHW down and just about out with what looked like be a half hearted jab.

I'm not saying be Leites or Maia' date=' but if GSP didn't throw one strike the whole fight and landed successful TD after successful TD, grinding Andy out to a win, don't you have to say he fought the perfect fight considering that's already his style for the most part. He would have avoided silvas most dangerous tool, striking, and found a way to do what no opponent inside the UFC has managed to do, beat the spider.

Beat arguably the best striker ever with arguably the best wrestling ever.[/quote']

There's a difference between being afraid and aware, most people don't differentiate this though. For instance ( man here comes controversy ) if a Prime Fedor cut to 185 I don't think he'd fight Anderson with the gameplan ( Okay you have to be a good wrestler to beat this guy, get him down and work from there once I'm safe ) being a fighter is far more than the stagnant concept most people see it as good wrestling, good jiu jitsu, good striking, good conditioning. If you think that's it or those are the factors to just talk about you're a ****ing idiot!

Dropping Forrest is no monumental achievement either, didn't we just see Tito Ortiz do that a few times? I mean Lombard knocked Te Huna silly at 205lbs and they say this guy should be at 170lbs and just lost to Boetsch...You can't look into those things too far. Sonnen is not a true fighter, he's got a mouth on him, solid ( but far from the best ) wrestling, great cardio and strength with enough striking to get him by, it's not terrible like people like to claim but it's far from being at a level it could be.

Nobody is going to beat Anderson by going ( I have to get the takedown or I lose, ahhh ) 2 Olympians with over a decade of mixed martial arts experienced tried and failed miserably...Okami is better than a lot of Division 1 national champion cross overs in takedowns and ground control, he couldn't come close...twice either. Really the key is to be a good wrestler? Who came up with that ****ing idea?

Look to beat Anderson, you have to be better than him that simple. You can't be better than him if you're afraid of him when the door shuts and you have to take this guy on in an arena infront of millions of eyes. Anderson is on another level than these college kid crossovers and "athletes" who aren't really fighters. He's done this since about 10, this is what he loves, this is who he is. He relies on technique and mind over athleticism and power, that's why he's not weakening with age. I'm not saying Athleticism or Power isn't important or that you couldn't have all of them but Anderson is just to the extreme on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I'm not sure who I see with the ability at 185 to beat him, I don't think Weidman knows what it is to be a fighter as much as a " wrestler " " I train MMA " and " I'm an athlete " but Anderson really does...that's why Brazil does so well, not because they're superior in race but because Aldo and Barao grew up in the Favella's poverty struck, hungry, alone, scared....and they had to fight their way out of that situation, they became fighters before they started sleeping in gyms and training all day and establishing passion and love for what they do....That's what being a fighter is about, pride, belief, confidence, you need to fight for a cause greater than money and attention.

Anyways sorry if I rambled on unnecessarily. Anderson isn't unbeatable but I think it's going to take a bit more than what I see the Middleweight division has to offer. If there's a Middleweight who could test him best in the world, I'd say Mamed Khalidov or Hector Lombard, but I'd still think he'd knock either of those guys out within 3 rounds. Oh and Jon Jones would **** UP HIM. I'm no fan of Jones, but Jones is on the other side of the spectrum all power and athleticism, he has great talent and skill nothing like Anderson but still. If anyone thinks Anderson wouldn't have trouble with Jones reach, power, size, ability to dictate everything dominantly....he would, he'd get mauled pretty badly.

There's a difference between being afraid and aware' date=' most people don't differentiate this though. For instance ( man here comes controversy ) if a Prime Fedor cut to 185 I don't think he'd fight Anderson with the gameplan ( Okay you have to be a good wrestler to beat this guy, get him down and work from there once I'm safe ) being a fighter is far more than the stagnant concept most people see it as good wrestling, good jiu jitsu, good striking, good conditioning. If you think that's it or those are the factors to just talk about you're a ****ing idiot!

Dropping Forrest is no monumental achievement either, didn't we just see Tito Ortiz do that a few times? I mean Lombard knocked Te Huna silly at 205lbs and they say this guy should be at 170lbs and just lost to Boetsch...You can't look into those things too far. Sonnen is not a true fighter, he's got a mouth on him, solid ( but far from the best ) wrestling, great cardio and strength with enough striking to get him by, it's not terrible like people like to claim but it's far from being at a level it could be.

Nobody is going to beat Anderson by going ( I have to get the takedown or I lose, ahhh ) 2 Olympians with over a decade of mixed martial arts experienced tried and failed miserably...Okami is better than a lot of Division 1 national champion cross overs in takedowns and ground control, he couldn't come close...twice either. Really the key is to be a good wrestler? Who came up with that ****ing idea?

Look to beat Anderson, you have to be better than him that simple. You can't be better than him if you're afraid of him when the door shuts and you have to take this guy on in an arena infront of millions of eyes. Anderson is on another level than these college kid crossovers and "athletes" who aren't really fighters. He's done this since about 10, this is what he loves, this is who he is. He relies on technique and mind over athleticism and power, that's why he's not weakening with age. I'm not saying Athleticism or Power isn't important or that you couldn't have all of them but Anderson is just to the extreme on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I'm not sure who I see with the ability at 185 to beat him, I don't think Weidman knows what it is to be a fighter as much as a " wrestler " " I train MMA " and " I'm an athlete " but Anderson really does...that's why Brazil does so well, not because they're superior in race but because Aldo and Barao grew up in the Favella's poverty struck, hungry, alone, scared....and they had to fight their way out of that situation, they became fighters before they started sleeping in gyms and training all day and establishing passion and love for what they do....That's what being a fighter is about, pride, belief, confidence, you need to fight for a cause greater than money and attention.

Anyways sorry if I rambled on unnecessarily. Anderson isn't unbeatable but I think it's going to take a bit more than what I see the Middleweight division has to offer. If there's a Middleweight who could test him best in the world, I'd say Mamed Khalidov or Hector Lombard, but I'd still think he'd knock either of those guys out within 3 rounds. Oh and Jon Jones would **** UP HIM. I'm no fan of Jones, but Jones is on the other side of the spectrum all power and athleticism, he has great talent and skill nothing like Anderson but still. If anyone thinks Anderson wouldn't have trouble with Jones reach, power, size, ability to dictate everything dominantly....he would, he'd get mauled pretty badly.[/quote']holy ****ing wall of text batman

I actually think the super fight will work of GSP beats Condit. Anderson and his team want a fighter that deserves the fight and who better than GSP?

You seem to be assuming that Silva would be the roadblock to this fight. They have to find a way to convince Mr. Safe to actually go into a fight where he's an underdog. GSP won't take a risk like this. Besides, Dana was trying to get GSP to do this a year or two ago, and GSP wanted no part in it. What makes anybody think something has changed since then?

There's a difference between being afraid and aware' date=' most people don't differentiate this though. For instance ( man here comes controversy ) if a Prime Fedor cut to 185 I don't think he'd fight Anderson with the gameplan ( Okay you have to be a good wrestler to beat this guy, get him down and work from there once I'm safe ) being a fighter is far more than the stagnant concept most people see it as good wrestling, good jiu jitsu, good striking, good conditioning. If you think that's it or those are the factors to just talk about you're a ****ing idiot!

Anyways sorry if I rambled on unnecessarily. Anderson isn't unbeatable but I think it's going to take a bit more than what I see the Middleweight division has to offer. If there's a Middleweight who could test him best in the world, I'd say Mamed Khalidov or Hector Lombard, but I'd still think he'd knock either of those guys out within 3 rounds. Oh and Jon Jones would **** UP HIM. I'm no fan of Jones, but Jones is on the other side of the spectrum all power and athleticism, he has great talent and skill nothing like Anderson but still. If anyone thinks Anderson wouldn't have trouble with Jones reach, power, size, ability to dictate everything dominantly....he would, he'd get mauled pretty badly.[/quote']

That's a really good post.

You seem to be assuming that Silva would be the roadblock to this fight. They have to find a way to convince Mr. Safe to actually go into a fight where he's an underdog. GSP won't take a risk like this. Besides' date=' Dana was trying to get GSP to do this a year or two ago, and GSP wanted no part in it. What makes anybody think something has changed since then?[/quote']

You got a link for that GSP wants no part of it ?

Or are you making **** up?

He said he need time to put the weight on properly and that he moved up, it would be permanently.

What if it's a catchweight at 178lbs?

Anderson would probably catch him. He's just too good. GSP would have to fight the perfect fight and either decision him or submit him (highly unlikely I know), but GSP is one of the best at passing guard and could catch an arm or fall back from a half guard for a kneebar or heelhook (again, unlikely, I know). I can't see him tko'ing him at all. But it's more likely Anderson catches him and tko/ko's him.

So yah, IMO;

@185 75%-25% Anderson

@178 65%-35% Anderson

@170 60%-40% GSP

You got a link for that GSP wants no part of it ?

Or are you making **** up?

He said he need time to put the weight on properly and that he moved up' date=' it would be permanently.[/quote']

So Dana offers him a fight with the greatest fighter on the planet, and he makes an excuse about having to put on weight. Doesn't that tell you that he wants no part of it? Has he ever given any indication that he wants to fight Silva, even after being offered the fight? Has he done anything in the past couple years to put on weight so that he could fight Silva?

Did BJ Penn take time to put on weight when he fought GSP? Did Silva take time to put on weight when he fought at 205? Weight is just an excuse that he's hiding behind.

The bottom line is, GSP should WANT this fight to happen and should be going out of his way to make it happen. But instead he used putting on weight as an excuse not to fight him. Besides, GSP walks around above 185 lbs, and would have to cut weight to fight in Silva's weight class.

So Dana offers him a fight with the greatest fighter on the planet' date=' and he makes an excuse about having to put on weight. Doesn't that tell you that he wants no part of it? Has he ever given any indication that he wants to fight Silva, even after being offered the fight? Has he done anything in the past couple years to put on weight so that he could fight Silva?

Did BJ Penn take time to put on weight when he fought GSP? Did Silva take time to put on weight when he fought at 205? Weight is just an excuse that he's hiding behind.

The bottom line is, GSP should WANT this fight to happen and should be going out of his way to make it happen. But instead he used putting on weight as an excuse not to fight him. Besides, GSP walks around above 185 lbs, and would have to cut weight to fight in Silva's weight class.[/quote']

+99999999999999999

That excuse is out the window now anyways because Silva said he would come to 170

GSP is a *****!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh and by the way GSP said that **** 4 years ago!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Anderson would probably catch him. He's just too good. GSP would have to fight the perfect fight and either decision him or submit him (highly unlikely I know)' date=' but GSP is one of the best at passing guard and could catch an arm or fall back from a half guard for a kneebar or heelhook (again, unlikely, I know). I can't see him tko'ing him at all. But it's more likely Anderson catches him and tko/ko's him.

So yah, IMO;

@185 75%-25% Anderson

@178 65%-35% Anderson

@170 60%-40% GSP[/quote']

I'd rather this fight didn't even happen. The Welterweight division ( I also fight in it ) to me is the most interesting in the sport right now. You have Kampmann vs Hendricks to face the winner of Georges and Condit sure I think Condit and Kampmann/Hendricks aren't going to win and don't have that great of a chance but Erick Silva and Rory MacDonald on the horizon interests me more than this superfight honestly, the return of Diaz will be very interesting too, I think Jake Ellenberger is going to bounce back with a knockout over Koscheck ( he mauled the HELL out of Kampmann, dominated him everywhere ) if Ellenberger can get his cardio in check where he can be confident to fight like the juggernaut and go for kills without worrying about gassing he's a threat to the title, considering he's only 25-26.

Yeah and honestly, I don't see GSP vs Anderson even being a very great fight and all the hype and attention it will get could end up being a bad thing.

So Dana offers him a fight with the greatest fighter on the planet' date=' and he makes an excuse about having to put on weight. Doesn't that tell you that he wants no part of it? Has he ever given any indication that he wants to fight Silva, even after being offered the fight? Has he done anything in the past couple years to put on weight so that he could fight Silva?

The bottom line is, GSP should WANT this fight to happen and should be going out of his way to make it happen. But instead he used putting on weight as an excuse not to fight him. Besides, GSP walks around above 185 lbs, and would have to cut weight to fight in Silva's weight class.[/quote']

1. Great Link

2. How'd BJ do at a higher weight ?

3. Silva's 4inches taller and walks around @ 215-220 (will provided LINKS upon request)

4. Condit and Diaz were / are worthy opponents that the UFC put infront of him. Provide any sort of proof that GSP has ever declined a fight.

5. He's been injured for awhile

I would quote you but it would be massive. Don't really know where to begin but here it goes:

I agree about fighting aware as opposed to "afraid"- good point.

OBVIOUSLY there is more to MMA than wrestling. I was simply stating that its GSPs best strength is wrestling mixed with his speed, it could prove to be the recipe to beat Anderson. I don't see any way GSP falls into a Chael-esque sub because he is much more disciplined when it comes to sub defense than Chael.

Chael basically beat him for 5 rounds by employing the "I have to get the takedown or i lose ahhh" strategy. I think GSP could mirror Chael in Sonnen Silva 1 and survive that last 2 and a half minutes to win.

Don't see him throwing a panicky spinning back fist either.

GSP is a complete fighter and I agree that it would take a complete fighter to beat Anderson, but in this case the stand out part of that complete fighters game is the wrestling, Andersons weakest aspect by comparison to the rest of his skill set.

+99999999999999999

That excuse is out the window now anyways because Silva said he would come to 170

GSP is a *****!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh and by the way GSP said that **** 4 years ago!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

And yet still, the guy whose in your avatar wouldn't even show up to a press conference so that he could fight him.

Intredasting

And yet still' date=' the guy whose in your avatar wouldn't even show up to a press conference so that he could fight him.

Intredasting[/quote']

And!?

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would quote you but it would be massive. Don't really know where to begin but here it goes:

I agree about fighting aware as opposed to "afraid"- good point.

OBVIOUSLY there is more to MMA than wrestling. I was simply stating that its GSPs best strength is wrestling mixed with his speed' date=' it could prove to be the recipe to beat Anderson. I don't see any way GSP falls into a Chael-esque sub because he is much more disciplined when it comes to sub defense than Chael.

Chael basically beat him for 5 rounds by employing the "I have to get the takedown or i lose ahhh" strategy. I think GSP could mirror Chael in Sonnen Silva 1 and survive that last 2 and a half minutes to win.

Don't see him throwing a panicky spinning back fist either.

GSP is a complete fighter and I agree that it would take a complete fighter to beat Anderson, but in this case the stand out part of that complete fighters game is the wrestling, Andersons weakest aspect by comparison to the rest of his skill set.[/quote']

Well in the second fight, Chael couldn't come close to applying the same strategy so that kind of tells us something right there. Maybe Anderson was really injured? Maybe Anderson improved even more? Also, it made sense everyone from his camp said the plan was if he was taken down round one to force Chael to work and tire him out since he cuts so much weight because Sonnen is not threat not even in mount...:rolleyes: Round 2 he couldn't get a takedown to save his life and got knocked out in a humiliating fashion.

Also, Anderson is so much longer than GSP, attacking with those legs I don't think it'd be easy to avoiding submissions all night, also those elbows from Guard, Anderson can definitely stuff some attempts, standing he can find openings especially with GSP relying on closing distance but being no threat standing and so on. The only way I see GSP winning is if the cut to 178 will gas Anderson. Like Bubba said, I'd give GSP a slight advantage at 170 because I actually do see him gassing and GSP capitalizing on it.

Anyways, my opinion.

And!?

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That I find it interesting that you support a fighter who *****ed out on fighting someone who you deem a *****.

Thought it was a pretty straightforward comment.

But I might as well spell it out for yah, you Diaz fans seem a little (<----- me being generous) slow.

I-R-O-N-Y

The "superfights" won't happen till MMA is sanctioned in NYC

First card at the MSG will be a "superfight"

Have to make great impression in NYC

The "superfights" won't happen till MMA is sanctioned in NYC

First card at the MSG will be a "superfight"

Have to make great impression in NYC

You think Anderson vs George would make a great impression opposed to a fight like Renan Barao vs Dominick Cruz? Or Ben Henderson vs Nate Diaz? Or Alistair Overeem vs Junior Dos Santos?

1. Great Link

3. Silva's 4inches taller and walks around @ 215-220 (will provided LINKS upon request)

4. Condit and Diaz were / are worthy opponents that the UFC put infront of him. Provide any sort of proof that GSP has ever declined a fight.

I want to see the link of anderson silva walking around at 215-220 while he is IN SHAPE and TRAINING for a fight. I don't want a link that he is 215-220 when he is not training and not dieting.

That I find it interesting that you support a fighter who *****ed out on fighting someone who you deem a *****.

But I might as well spell it out for yah' date=' you Diaz fans seem a little (<----- me being generous) slow.

I-R-O-N-Y[/quote']

I don't think Diaz knew they'd pull him from the fight. He just didn't give a **** about the press conferences.

But I might as well spell it out for yah' date=' you Diaz fans seem a little (<----- me being generous) slow.

I-R-O-N-Y[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHA!!

You getting emotional!?

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Diaz asks for a fight with Silva at 170, catchweight, or at 185. No questions, no excuses

GSP says No, I need a year to gain the correct weight (even though he steps in the cage at 194) and he said that 4 years ago LoL!! And he had the *** to say he would drop to LW easier than going to MW just earlier this year, too hilarious

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!

GSP is the biggest ***** in the game right now LoL

HAHAHAHAHA!!

You getting emotional!?

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Diaz asks for a fight with Silva at 170' date=' catchweight, or at 185. No questions, no excuses

GSP says No, I need a year to gain the correct weight (even though he steps in the cage at 194) and he said that 4 years ago LoL!! And he had the [b']***[/b] to say he would drop to LW easier than going to MW just earlier this year, too hilarious

Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!

GSP is the biggest ***** in the game right now LoL

What does this word rhyme with?

1. Great Link

1. http://lowkick.blitzcorner.com/UFC/Georges-St-Pierre-says-with-adequate-time-to-put-on-weight-hell-fight-Anderson-Silva-13831 Whining about how it's so hard for him to put on weight = just plain sad. Almost as bad as his claim that he always weighs about the same, and doesn't cut any weight. Funny thing is http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=news.detail&gid=218774 HE ALREADY WEIGHS MORE THAN 185! LMAO SAD!!!

2. He did pretty well his first try, lost a close split decision to GSP.

3. Show me a link that says anything other than people's opinion. Also, he fought at 205, then cut back down. Any reason GSP can't do the same?

4. See #1.