Cain Velasquez: Easy to Hit

Hammer_Down

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/21/3791428/ufc-155-cain-velasquez-junior-dos-santos-jack-slack-judo-chop

I noticed a pretty interesting article today on Cain's striking. I think its pretty critical posting pictures of him getting clipped by weak punches in a bunch of fights he otherwise dominated, but it does make you think he wont be able to hang on the feet with Junior for more than 3 rounds. Cain kind of strikes you as the kind of guy who says "okay now I'm going to do this combination" a couple seconds before he throws it.

This is a well written article with a lot of thought put into it and i agree on many points but i also disagree on some of the conclusions he made. The author is correct about his failed head movement and uprightness during kicks but i disagree on him being over aggressive to an extent.

His failed head movement problem has a lot more to do with him being a combination fighter focused on speed and he doesn't use broken rhythem and doesn't use footwork in combination with offensive/defensive actions to set-up dominant angles to attack/counterattack. The author is correct he doesn't offset but instead he attacks right up the gut with his head in the air on centerline. They simply block his quick combination and or create distance while off setting position and counter attack hard and direct so Cain gets caught coming forward midstream inbetween shots because his combination rhythem is predictable and he stays on centerline not using striking+bodysway & footwork to change angles.

Another thing he doesn't use various fienting movements to set-up hard bodysway/lunging into hard direct but off center shots that he can easily follow-up with takedown attempts. He really needs to add this heavy pot-shot to shoot to his game. He can also use this tactic to draw the opponent to come to him and bait out counters which he re-counters and or takes them down.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/21/3791428/ufc-155-cain-velasquez-junior-dos-santos-jack-slack-judo-chop

I noticed a pretty interesting article today on Cain's striking. I think its pretty critical posting pictures of him getting clipped by weak punches in a bunch of fights he otherwise dominated' date=' but it does make you think he wont be able to hang on the feet with Junior for more than 3 rounds. Cain kind of strikes you as the kind of guy who says "okay now I'm going to do this combination" a couple seconds before he throws it.[/quote']

mma-ufc155-jpg_053742.jpg

1229UFC155_05_t653.jpg?214bc4f9d9bd7c08c7d0f6599bb3328710e01e7b

usp-mma_-ufc-155-dos-santos-vs-velasquez-2_007-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

Archived