Should shogun and machida fight for number 1 contender?

mr_thomas87

I feel like a win over Ryan Bader after being choked unconscious by Jones does not constitute a shot but the UFC isn't one to stick to having to rack up wins before a title fight

Who was arguably the only significant win Jones had before getting a title shot? Oh yeah, that's right. Bader.

Who was arguably the only significant win Jones had before getting a title shot? Oh yeah' date=' that's right. Bader.[/quote']

Take away the DQ that he was dominating and he has never been beaten. He was on a three fight win streak after the DQ where he destroyed all three opponents with ease. Also he wasn't suppose to get the shot it was because Evans got hurt but he proved he deserved the shot when Machida got his fight after beating Randy did he prove he deserve to be there? No, its that simpl,e when you get choked unconscious by the cham, and have one win over a guy who the champ also completely dominated is not that impressive to deserve an immediate title shot in my opinion.

Take away the DQ that he was dominating and he has never been beaten. He was on a three fight win streak after the DQ where he destroyed all three opponents with ease. Also he wasn't suppose to get the shot it was because Evans got hurt but he proved he deserved the shot when Machida got his fight after beating Randy did he prove he deserve to be there? No' date=' its that simpl,e when you get choked unconscious by the cham, and have one win over a guy who the champ also completely dominated is not that impressive to deserve an immediate title shot in my opinion.[/quote']

I agree but is an other machida vs shogun a better option?

Who was arguably the only significant win Jones had before getting a title shot? Oh yeah' date=' that's right. Bader.[/quote']

The difference being is that Jones was on a 7 fight win streak in the UFC (realistically). Machida on the other hand is 2-3 in his last 5 with his latest lost coming to who? Oh yea, that's right. Jones. Not exactly the same scenarios there.

Now I never said that but one fight does not qualify you to fight the champ right after you got destroyed by him. Especially when that one win is over Ryan Bader. You got Evans, Machida, Gus, Texeria (I know they train together) point is I feel like there is more fights they can make before giving him a shot.

The difference being is that Jones was on a 7 fight win streak in the UFC (realistically). Machida on the other hand is 2-3 in his last 5 with his latest lost coming to who? Oh yea' date=' that's right. Jones. Not exactly the same scenarios there.[/quote']

But Jon Jones was up and coming at that time. He was on a 7 fight win streak against people like Stephan Bonnar. Machida is a former champ, we know hes ahead of fighters like Jake O'Brien.

To be quite honest, the only fight at LHW that interests me for Jones is Cormier. I would love to see that. Gus and Tex might be ok, but I don't think they would have what it takes to pose a real challenge to Jones. I don't know why they are so determined to make a number 1 contender decision right now, but if they have to then I guess Machida is the best choice.

But Jon Jones was up and coming at that time. He was on a 7 fight win streak against people like Stephan Bonnar. Machida is a former champ' date=' we know hes ahead of fighters like Jake O'Brien.[/quote']

Things we know that hes 2-3 in his last 5 and three champs/former champs he has fought Jones, Machida, and even Rampage he has lost. Against MAchida and Jones in devastating fashion. Rampage is on the tail end of his career and the point that the fight was even close is not good in my opinion. So his notable wins in his last 5 fights? Randy who is retired and Bader who is still up and coming and working so what constitutes Machidas title shot?

Things we know that hes 2-3 in his last 5 and three champs/former champs he has fought Jones' date=' [b']Machida[/b], and even Rampage he has lost. Against MAchida and Jones in devastating fashion. Rampage is on the tail end of his career and the point that the fight was even close is not good in my opinion. So his notable wins in his last 5 fights? Randy who is retired and Bader who is still up and coming and working so what constitutes Machidas title shot?

Other than him accidentally saying Machida instead of Shogun for those fights, he basically said everything I was going to say, lol.

The real fight people should be asking for is if Jones dominates Hendo an exhibition fight at Hw is what I want to see.

Nah im not interested in him fighting a scrub HW and i know he can't hang with top HW's yet.

I'd like to see him fight Gustoff if he beats Hendo which he likely will. I don't really like the idea of him fighting Machida again so soon but i would like to see that rematch at some point.

Things we know that hes 2-3 in his last 5 and three champs/former champs he has fought Jones' date=' Machida, and even Rampage he has lost. Against MAchida and Jones in devastating fashion. Rampage is on the tail end of his career and the point that the fight was even close is not good in my opinion. So his notable wins in his last 5 fights? Randy who is retired and Bader who is still up and coming and working so what constitutes Machidas title shot?[/quote']

First of all, say what you want about Rampage, but hes gonna be tough for any stand up fighter no matter if hes on the tail end of his career. Second of all, Jones beats everyone in devastating fashion. Third, you say Bader is still up and coming, hes a contender now, and hes a better Bader than we saw Jones fight. You say hes 2-3 in last fight, well hes 2-1 in his last 3. And hes 1-0 in last one. Whats your point? He recovered from the losses. And if he doesnt deserve a shot who is more deserving a shot. He just beat the number 5 LHW fighter in the world in "devastating fashion." Who else is coming off of a victory like that?

Nah im not interested in him fighting a scrub HW and i know he can't hang with top HW's yet.

I'd like to see him fight Gustoff if he beats Hendo which he likely will. I don't really like the idea of him fighting Machida again so soon but i would like to see that rematch at some point.

Thats fine with me still want to see a fight at HW though can give them time at LHW to figure things out

First of all' date=' say what you want about Rampage, but hes gonna be tough for any stand up fighter no matter if hes on the tail end of his career. Second of all, Jones beats everyone in devastating fashion. Third, you say Bader is still up and coming, hes a contender now, and hes a better Bader than we saw Jones fight. You say hes 2-3 in last fight, well hes 2-1 in his last 3. And hes 1-0 in last one. Whats your point? He recovered from the losses. And if he doesnt deserve a shot who is more deserving a shot. He just beat the number 5 LHW fighter in the world in "devastating fashion." Who else is coming off of a victory like that?[/quote']

Who was that one loss to enough said...

Which one loss are you talking about? Did you read the post?

Its this simple he got destroyed by Jones his claim to fame is he punched Jones like five times in the face and arguably won one round. Then he got destroyed and choked unconscious and beating Bader should not mean you get a title shot just doesn't. If you tihnk it does thats your opinion I don't see how it does at all but to each there own

Wait' date=' how is Bader the number 5 LHW fighter in the world? He is ahead of Jones, Hendo, Shogun, Machida, and Rashad?[/quote']

If he would have beat Machida tonight he'd be in the top 5 tier. He beat Rampage and i don't care what anyone says that's no easy feat. He's nipping at the heels of the names you mentioned.

It's not hard to grasp. He is one fight removed from losing in devastating fashion to Jones' date=' nobody should get another shot that fast.[/quote']

You're right it isn't hard to grasp :) No one has defeated an opponent of the ranking of Bader, but Machida.

Before tonight.

1.Jones

2.Hendo

3.Shogun

4.Machida

5.Bader

After tonight

1.Jones

2.Hendo

3.Machida

4.Shogun

5.????

No to be honest alot of people feel Machida really has what it takes to beat Jones so the rematch would sell and after the fight we saw tonight Shogun is not ready for a Jones rematch.

I do believe Machida would bring out the best in Shogun. And I do believe that Shogun would win again' date=' But I want Machida to get the shot because I think out of anyone in the division, Machida has the best chance to beat Jones.[/quote']

That same thing can be said for chael. given the fact chael has lost twice to silva should he be the only one to face silva since he has the ''best chance'' out of anyone at MW? I don't feel someone having the ''best chance'' against someone constitutes a a title shot after 1 win.

lets see, he decisioned bonner, destroyed mat hamill, broke vera's jaw with savage elbows, and choked out bader. after running an undefeated record, excluding the DQ loss to hamill, id say it was warranted for him to fight for the title against Rua.

I honestly feel this would be a better option and a great ME for any card, rather than giving machida a shot after he just got choked outby jones then fights glass jaw bader who really has no standup, a title shot after a win over an arguably top 10 guy. they are 1-1 against each other, even though most people feel rua won the first fight too, both fights were exciting to watch, and machida seems to have gone back to his old before the title self. A rubber match for number 1 contender makes most sense money wise and standings wise. I see no better option

Archived