Does Joe Lauzon deserve

Rex_Kwon_Do

...to be in the UFC HOF should his career even end today. He now supposedly holds the record for most fight bonuses and has a decent record in the UFC 9-4. He's never lost two in a row, but he's always had problems with top 10 fighters (1-3 at best) and never really come close to title contention because of his inability to string wins against Top 10 fighters. His most impressive win to date was over Melvin Guillard whose had struggles of his own over his career.

Whats most impressed me about his fight bonuses is that Joe's intentions was always to win every fight and he always sticks to his game plan, unlike some fighters who will totally scrap their game plan just in an attempt to get a fight bonus (i.e. Chris Lytle). If Joe knows his advantage over a fighter is to get the fight to the ground that's where he will take it, and if he gets the bonus as a result of a submission then all the better. In other words I believe his fight bonuses have come with a lot of integrity. I personally believe he has reached the pinnacle (climax) of his career and the only thing that's left for him to build on is the fight bonuses, but that's just me.

Despite his fight bonuses record inside the Octagon initially I would have to say no to Joe's HOF chances, not to mention that if you consider him then you would have to also consider a fighter like Chris Lytle whose career mirrors that of Joe Lauzon. He was also a good, well rounded fighter who I believe has won the most money in fight bonuses. I didn't like his approach to fights at times, because he made it all to obvious he was in the Octagon to get a bonus and it seemed like it meant more to him than winning. But he did bring it every fight I just didn't think he always fought the smartest. That being said he's not HOF worthy either.

I guess I'm not sure if holding a record in a sport necessarily is a end all for HOF discussion, altho fight bonuses is probably one of the more impressive records to hold in the UFC. I'm trying to think of someone who holds a record in one of the four major US sports, but isn't in their sports HOF (Rose (MLB); Bonds (MLB), but for obvious reasons)?? Anywayz...discuss.

Well Lauzon's career is far from over and the guy is definitely a serious prospect to making it to the championship, I will say that it's too early to call it HoF material quite yet base on the record alone. He's 13 fights in the UFC soo far, if he hits 20 fights with a high number of fight bonuses then I would really consider it.

tl;dr

but I think he eventually will be in the UFC HOF. he still has a long way to go, but considering if he keeps up this pace, meaning just continuing the style of fighting he uses, even if he continues to win 2 lose 1, he'll be in the HOF.

look at the dude's record, 22 wins, all finishes. He's exactly the type of UFC fighter the UFC wants. No attitude, no antics, just game. It's silly if a lucky lucy like Forrest gets in the HOF and J-Lau doesn't.

Let's just assume Joe needs four more wins to get a title shot, but they must all be over top 10 contenders...who of the following top 10 do you see Joe getting four wins in a row against??

1)Frankie Edgar

2)Gilbert Melendez (assuming he's made the move over from SF)

3)Gray Maynard

4)Nate Diaz

5)Jim Miller

6)Clay Guida

7)Anthony Pettis

8)Donald Cerrone

9)Melvin Guillard

10)Paul Sass (if he beats Wiman)

Let's just assume Joe needs four more wins to get a title shot' date=' but they must all be over top 10 contenders...who of the following top 10 do you see Joe getting four wins in a row against??

1)Frankie Edgar

3)Gray Maynard

4)Nate Diaz

5)Jim Miller

6)Clay Guida

7)Anthony Pettis

8)Donald Cerrone

9)Melvin Guillard

10)Paul Sass (if he beats Wiman)[/quote']

Sass and maybe Guillard again.

Let's just assume Joe needs four more wins to get a title shot' date=' but they must all be over top 10 contenders...who of the following top 10 do you see Joe getting four wins in a row against??

1)Frankie Edgar

2)[b']Gilbert Melendez[/b] (assuming he's made the move over from SF)

3)Gray Maynard

4)Nate Diaz

5)Jim Miller

6)Clay Guida

7)Anthony Pettis

8)Donald Cerrone

9)Melvin Guillard

10)Paul Sass (if he beats Wiman)

Bert is a can

Pettis will tap in a rematch

Guillard loses, not as devastating as the first time though

Sass isn't better than Joe on te ground

1)Frankie Edgar

3)Gray Maynard

4)Nate Diaz

5)Jim Miller

6)Clay Guida

7)Anthony Pettis

8)Donald Cerrone

9)Melvin Guillard

10)Paul Sass (if he beats Wiman)[/quote']

So Ben Henderson isn't in the top 10? Weird top 10 list, especially with Melvin Guillard on it.

I think he could beat any and all of the fighters on this list on any given night, or he could lose. Depends on what happens during the fight. Only thing I could guarantee is that he'll show more balls than Clay Guida come fight night.

I love the guy and I truly believe he can be a champ one day it's the division he is in that's the problem, it's seriously stacked.

He gets the all the OTN awards even when there's other great subs and matches on the card, he really gives it all out there.

tl;dr

but I think he eventually will be in the UFC HOF. he still has a long way to go' date=' but considering if he keeps up this pace, meaning just continuing the style of fighting he uses, even if he continues to win 2 lose 1, he'll be in the HOF.

look at the dude's record, [b']22 wins, all finishes. He's exactly the type of UFC fighter the UFC wants. No attitude, no antics, just game.[/b] It's silly if a lucky lucy like Forrest gets in the HOF and J-Lau doesn't.

This. And Joe gets his bonuses with skill, not just attitude. Nobody has more exciting submission game than him. Many ground fights turn out pretty boring, but in Lauzon?s case that?s when it gets fun, and that is to be applauded. If you hear someone saying grappling is just hugging and snoozing, then just show one of Joe?s fights...

So Ben Henderson isn't in the top 10? Weird top 10 list' date=' especially with Melvin Guillard on it.

I think he could beat any and all of the fighters on this list on any given night, or he could lose. Depends on what happens during the fight. Only thing I could guarantee is that he'll show more balls than Clay Guida come fight night.[/quote']

Do you seriously have to question why Ben Henderson isn't included on the list or are you just not paying attention or maybe your comprehension skills are at fail 0...maybe the date you joined might explain it. That being said, yes he might be able to beat any of the given fighters on any given night, but it's not going to happen four times in a row and so far with the exception of one person no one has come with any more than two fighters he could probably beat consecuteively which in itself would be a huge accomplishment for Joe based upon how he has fared in the past.

tl;dr

but I think he eventually will be in the UFC HOF. he still has a long way to go' date=' but considering if he keeps up this pace, meaning just continuing the style of fighting he uses, even if he continues to win 2 lose 1, he'll be in the HOF.

look at the dude's record, 22 wins, all finishes. [b']He's exactly the type of UFC fighter the UFC wants. No attitude, no antics, just game.[/b] It's silly if a lucky lucy like Forrest gets in the HOF and J-Lau doesn't.

This. And Joe gets his bonuses with skill' date=' not just attitude. Nobody has more exciting submission game than him. Many ground fights turn out pretty boring, but in Lauzon?s case that?s when it gets fun, and that is to be applauded. If you hear someone saying grappling is just hugging and snoozing, then just show one of Joe?s fights...[/quote']

Playing devil's advocate ....the same could be said of fighters like Bonnar, Lytle, Evan Tanner, and a host of others... it doesn't mean they are hall of fame worthy. At some point you have got to be more than just a crowd pleaser and gatekeeper in your division I think. People may not think of Tanner as a gatekeeper, but the reality is that he took advantage of a golden opportunity to claim a vacant title at a time when the division was at it's weakest. He never successfully defended the title and lost three of his last four fights after losing the title prior to his passing (anywayz he's not the focus of this post...just sayin).

Chris Lytle holds the record for Bonuses.

He might....at the post fight conference it seemed like everybody wanted to give Joe the record. Joe's Biography under his fighter profile does list nine bonuses not including the two he got last night....so it appears as if Joe does have the record. Money wise I'm not sure.

Do you seriously have to question why Ben Henderson isn't included on the list or are you just not paying attention or maybe your comprehension skills are at fail 0...maybe the date you joined might explain it. That being said' date=' yes he might be able to beat any of the given fighters on any given night, but it's not going to happen four times in a row and so far with the exception of one person no one has come with any more than two fighters he could probably beat consecuteively which in itself would be a huge accomplishment for Joe based upon how he has fared in the past.[/quote']

I didn't say he was going to beat 4 in a row. I just said he could beat any of them on any given night. It would be very hard for anyone on that list to beat 4 people on that list in a row.

I didn't say he was going to beat 4 in a row. I just said he could beat any of them on any given night. It would be very hard for anyone on that list to beat 4 people on that list in a row.

The problem is that he hasn't even done two in a row and he's been around since 2006.

The problem is that he hasn't even done two in a row and he's been around since 2006.

Well lets see what happens in his next fight. There was a time when they said Mickey Ward would never be anything more than a gate keeper. The reason Joe Lauzon has fans is because he brings the fight. He could probably string up a few more victories over big names if he laid on dudes for 15 minutes or spent the fight running and trying to score points. Joe won't do that, the dude would rather go down swinging like a man.

Btw, why are you arguing so much with people that answer your question. No one even hinted at him being in the HoF but you.

Well lets see what happens in his next fight. There was a time when they said Mickey Ward would never be anything more than a gate keeper. The reason Joe Lauzon has fans is because he brings the fight. He could probably string up a few more victories over big names if he laid on dudes for 15 minutes or spent the fight running and trying to score points. Joe won't do that' date=' the dude would rather go down swinging like a man.

Btw, why are you arguing so much with people that answer your question. No one even hinted at him being in the HoF but you.[/quote']

It was a hypothetical question that was posed...and I'm playing devil's advocate. In case you haven't noticed...it's a forum. We start threads here...about anything.

Archived