Things Shogun needs to fix/do ASAP?

everlast69

He is not the same fighter since the knee surgery, Shogun post Machida 1 fight is just not the same fighter.

If not for is tough chin, he woulda been KO'd by both Hendo and Vera.

He simply cant throw those famed kicks anymore, meaning he resorts to striking which he does so cumbersome and telegraphed, plus a somewhat amatuer grappling and top game!

I was shocked that a BJJ black belt would miss so many pass opportunities in a fight, plus is Vera was no better missing sweep and sub opportunities all the time when Shogun was barely pinning his legs :rolleyes:

Honestly, i felt embarrassed as a UFC fan to see the ground game of those two!

go to the gym, fat out of shape shogun....

he is so skilled, but lazy.

If you are a athlete of his calibre, there is no reason not to have cardio like one of the Diaz' or something.

I just think athletes should really have a higher level of cardio than what Shogun had, the walk to the ring tired him out by the looks of it.....

Yeah think all these knee surgeries have really hindered him to train cardio at 100%' date=' but these would all just be excuses.[/quote']

yeah the bad knees cant explain the love handles. if he had fat thighs, maybe. but fat midsection means a man who hates the sit-ups.

couldn't he just do swimming cardio? super easy on the joints.

p90x underwater.

yeah the bad knees cant explain the love handles. if he had fat thighs' date=' maybe. but fat midsection means a man who hates the sit-ups.

p90x underwater.[/quote']

. . . . .

You can do all the situps in the world, if you don't work up your heartrate to burn calories off, it won't get rid of fat specifically in your midsection. You'll just have beast abs under the fat.

I'm wondering if he perhaps cut too much or had a bad weight cut and wasn't able to recover well. Any way you look at it, the cardio needs work.

Oh, and there were some kicks there early on, he just clearly didn't have the energy to throw them later.

yeah the bad knees cant explain the love handles. if he had fat thighs' date=' maybe. but fat midsection means a man who hates the sit-ups.

LuseFan is right. Doing situps to get rid of belly fat is a myth. There's no such thing as a spot fat loss exercise (i.e. you can't decide where you lose the fat). Older people have a harder time losing it in the belly - under a caloric deficit, the body rather get rid of muscle past a certain point (set point).

I agree that for the second time in a row Shogun seemed to have bad cardio and seemed sluggish. His iron chin and knockout punch power pulled him ahead. Not to take anything away from Vera who fought his heart off.

OP, There's no reason Shogun can't get good conditioning. Swimming, Ellipticals, rowing machines. Plenty of resources. My guess is that he's underestimating his opponents and thinking he can finish them off in the first couple of rounds. He's a great fighter, certainly worthy of a following, but like Dana implied, he doesn't have that fire burning inside him at the moment.

Well to be fair-having abs doesn't mean good cardio.

But yeah Shogun seems to be having cardio issues.

. . . . .

You can do all the situps in the world' date=' if you don't work up your heartrate to burn calories off, it won't get rid of fat specifically in your midsection. You'll just have beast abs under the fat.

I'm wondering if he perhaps cut too much or had a bad weight cut and wasn't able to recover well. Any way you look at it, the cardio needs work.

Oh, and there were some kicks there early on, he just clearly didn't have the energy to throw them later.[/quote']

That's not true about the all the situps in the world thing. I do 1000 situps a day. six pack abs. no running no jogging, no elyptical, etc. just swimming once a week. And I was flabbier than shogun before i started doing the situps.

I actually attribute it to a clean diet AND situps.

As a Shogun fan he needs to hang it up. If his knees or motivation or whatever the hell it is that is causing his fights to be so lackluster can't be fixed there's no reason for him to keep going.

He's already accomplished more than almost every LHW out there. He's had some of the best fights in MMA ever vs Hendo/Lil Nog. Got the PRIDE GP and UFC LHW Belt. There's no reason for him to keep fighting if he physically or mentally cannot prepare correctly.

Maurilo is one Rua too many that suffered for fighting way past what they were supposed to.

Big Shogun fan here' date=' but again I witnessed another lackluster performance thats been linked with poor conditioning and bum rushing. Will he ever be a legitimate LHW contender unless he fixes things?[/quote']

The way to beat Shogun is get your hands on him and wear him out.

He dos not have the conditioning to grapple or wrestle.

Vera fought a great fight but he needed to be able to stay on top of Shogun and hurt him and all he did was lay there.

All Vera needed was a better game plan and some more work in the gym.

Archived