How about Penn vs Maia at WW?

OmenMMA

Seeing as Maia just moved down and won his first fight in a flash by injury. I think Maia is fresh and ready' date=' BJ's been training, 2 BJJ legends.

I say book this fight.[/quote']

This fight actually makes sense to me. Penn isn't exactly top 5 at WW, and Maia being a former contender at 185, this could be an opportunity for both guys to make a statement in the division. Could you imagine if BJ subbed Maia, or vice versa? More likely be BJ by TKO though.

BJ would KO Maia faster than Marquardt did.

Anderson couldn't do it, and BJ is in his twilight, Maia is prime, I figure it's 50/50 with a slight edge to BJ cuz the KO power/Boxing, but Maia can take down anybody and submit them, including BJ. Thats just fact, Maia would beast BJ on the ground I think...

Anderson couldn't do it' date=' and BJ is in his twilight, Maia is prime, I figure it's 50/50 with a slight edge to BJ cuz the KO power/Boxing, but [b']Maia can take down anybody and submit them, including BJ[/b]. Thats just fact, Maia would beast BJ on the ground I think...

He Couldnt submit Dan Miller when he got him down and Penn's BJJ is vastly superior to Miller's

He Couldnt submit Dan Miller when he got him down and Penn's BJJ is vastly superior to Miller's

He didn't even try really, and Dan Miller has sick BJJ and the sickest guillotine in the game..

Penn only uses his BJJ when he rocks somebody and wins by sub... or to survive twice against GSP.

He didn't even try really' date=' and Dan Miller has sick BJJ and the sickest guillotine in the game..

[b']Penn only uses his BJJ when he rocks somebody and wins by sub... or to survive twice against GSP[/b].

You mean that was BJJ he was using when he lit GSP up in there 1st fight and was robbed by the judges? And as far as there 2nd fight goes its hard to lock up a sub when the other guy is covered in Vaseline.

You mean that was BJJ he was using when he lit GSP up in there 1st fight and was robbed by the judges? And as far as there 2nd fight goes its hard to lock up a sub when the other guy is covered in Vaseline.

No ur right, working from ur guard from ur back when taken down, Rubber Guard and Gogo's from the bottom, that isn't BJJ... Thats lighting someone up...???

Please, GSP took Penn down like 40 times after Penn eye poked him in the first minute of the fight. When Penn shoots he goes for GnP too, Maia goes for subs...

Are u trying to say BJ has better BJJ then Demian Maia? :confused: Or are u just completley OT?

I thought Georges won fairly, close fight but again I gave it to him but to call it a robbery is just making a fool of yourself.

Maia's grappling is amazing outside of fighting, but very underdeveloped for mixed martial arts that's why you see him unable to finish mid tier guys at 185lbs anymore. Also to the guy who said Maia can take down and submit anyone? He couldn't take down Anderson to save his life, definitely couldn't take down Marquardt....Maia will be a very competitive mid tier 170lber but will never be good enough to become a contender in the division.

BJ Penn is waiting for Rory McDonald guys so lets end this speculation, BJ Penn wants that blemish ridden ***!

I thought Georges won fairly' date=' close fight but again I gave it to him but to call it a robbery is just making a fool of yourself.

Maia's grappling is amazing outside of fighting, but very underdeveloped for mixed martial arts that's why you see him unable to finish mid tier guys at 185lbs anymore. Also to the guy who said Maia can take down and submit anyone? He couldn't take down Anderson to save his life, definitely couldn't take down Marquardt....Maia will be a very competitive mid tier 170lber but will never be good enough to become a contender in the division.

[b']BJ Penn is waiting for Rory McDonald guys so lets end this speculation, BJ Penn wants that blemish ridden ***![/b]

Agreed

Well kick Rick Sotry back to the curb and jump Maia to the BJ fight.. They do it all the time.

Let Rick Story fight Diego Sanchez.

UFC match-making is horrible.

Hey! Don't act like Diego ain't got nothing to offer. WAR Diego!!!! I just hope he comes back feeling better after the shoulder surgery.

He won't be Rory though ;)

Re-Watch the Rory - Condit fight. I saw Rory quit in the third. I saw it by the look on his face he was looking for a way out of the fight. I question his heart and will to win. It's easy to crush cans and look good but in the one battle he was in where we saw his will tested, he simply broke.

I thought Georges won fairly' date=' close fight but again I gave it to him but to call it a robbery is just making a fool of yourself.

BJ Penn is waiting for Rory McDonald guys so lets end this speculation, BJ Penn wants that blemish ridden ***![/quote']

Anderson can KO anybody, he couldn't KO Maia, or Leites in the Octagon... So that means he could never be able to? Think before you speak, Maia can takedown and submit anybody on a good night.

Also thanks for telling us how a fighters entire career will play out in a division full of wrestlers and he's a big BJJ guy, and thanks for telling us that "instead of Dan Miller being that tough to not get sub'd by Maia, no, it was just maia that sucked."

Cool post, can't wait 2 years to watch BJ Penn get laid on for 3 rounds...

but Maia can take down anybody and submit them' date=' including BJ. Thats just fact[/quote']

Yeah! Just as Chris Weidman, Jorge Santiago, Mark Munoz, Kendall Grove, Mario Miranda, Dan Miller, Nate Marquardt, and Anderson Silva!

Maia is a submission machine!

Yeah! Just as Chris Weidman' date=' Jorge Santiago, Mark Munoz, Kendall Grove, Mario Miranda, Dan Miller, Nate Marquardt, and Anderson Silva!

Maia is a submission [b']machine[/b]!

I know 90% of u are morons on these forums, but I think u just took the cake.

Do you even know who Maia is? He's no Joe-blow from TUF, he's a BJJ legend and if he uses his BJJ like I know he can in MMA, he's the best BJJ guy in the game.

Stupid new FX fans.

I know 90% of u are morons on these forums' date=' but I think u just took the cake.

Do you even know who Maia is? He's no Joe-blow from TUF, he's a BJJ legend and if he uses his BJJ like I know he can in MMA, he's the best BJJ guy in the game.

Stupid new FX fans.[/quote']

And as most BJJ experts will tell you, 90% of BJJ is absolutely useless in MMA. He can have all the BJJ accolades he wants, doesn't make him a good submission artist in MMA.

if a guy goes out and strikes for 3 rounds by choice' date=' and doesn't even shoot, U wanna say that he fell off?

k-1 Maia , the old Maia can sub anyone at WW and would give GSP nightmares.[/quote']

"The old Maia" spent 15 minutes on the ground with Miranda, Grove, and Miller, a good chunk of time on the ground with Weidman and Munoz and was never even close to a sub.

He would never sub Penn, and that is even assuming he could EVER take BJ down

"The old Maia" spent 15 minutes on the ground with Miranda' date=' Grove, and Miller, a good chunk of time on the ground with Weidman and Munoz and was never even close to a sub.

He would never sub Penn, and that is even assuming he could EVER take BJ down[/quote']

U don't know ****, the old Maia was before Nate KO'd him... ever since then he's been working on striking, and using it. And Lay and Prey.

Im a big Penn fan, but the highlight of his career was winning the belt from Hughes 10 years ago because he pulled a" David n Goliath" with a quick finish, other than that hes really hasnt been a dominant fighter other than that short stint as the LW champ. His record is average.Every time he had the big fight to get on track or to give him validation as a real beast he lost;examples; twice to to GSP, lost to hughes the 2nd fight for the WW Belt(poor cardio and he blew it). He beat Sherk to get the title, thats an okay win(the match-up was perfect for Bj)(Sherk was not well rounded and gained his victories when great ground n pound, great wrestlers could still dominate with just that. )For the hype around Bj, he should beat sherk. Sherk, Joe Daddy and Florian went to 145,makes the wins less immpressive. During his run Diego was the only legitimate 155 he beat(and thats probably cause Diego was cutting too much weight as a natural 170) and diego went the distance. Diego is his biggest win of his career since Hughes 1. I think Diego woops BJ if they fought now at 170. So they give him Frankie, another natural 145(maybe even135) and he gets beaten . Because it was close and the fans wanted a rematch because it was hard for everyone, myself included, to believe he lost, his 4 fight streak made us believe the greatest ever was back, especially after that kick to Diego's head. He had the rematch and got beat worse. 2 fight skid.Bj vs Hughes 3 was a good win for the trilogy and Penn's confidence, he has Hughes number and shoulda retired there. He fought a hard fight against Fitch, great gameplan, stole the first with control, eaked the second and started gassing and couldnt finish the sub and was too spent, he's just too small for 170 and fitch's size against Bj's fatigue made that an hellish round to watch as a BJ fan. He showed great heart not to quit, but he barely made it out of the round and it was a draw. That was Bj's last great fight, a draw, but he's just to small for the 170ers and too slow and probably too small for some of the 155ers too. Hes a natural 145er( but he definately doesnt have the deisre to cut to that weight) and Aldo would probably beat him anyway. He was wooped and embarrassed by Nick Diaz and he retired and He should stay retired, Penn's ultimate downfall was his tremendous talent. He had successes so easily as a juitz world champ and Blackbelt so quickley and beat Uno in 20 seconds to get a title shot. He was dubbed the prodigy He just never seemed to fully commit his life to the sport, and his big wins in the UFC game quickly when his cardio wasnt challenged and against Jens and he lost he lost a fight to a less talented but harder working fighter and thats what Ive come to expect from Bj. Maybe because he was wealthy, maybe it was his lifestyle( a known partier) He did not train steadily and continuously like most hungry top level fighters. Randy, Mir, Hughes,GSP. Rashad Bisping, all the top guys train nonstop and treat it like a 9 to 5 job even more. They challenge themselves and keep improving or at least work hard to get better. Bj Penn was not that guy. He was the surfer partier guy who kept up appearances throughout the week in his gym but hes mostly a training camp before the fight only type guy. Everyone does that. Guys like Franklin,Koscheck, Diaz and many more can fight well on a weeks notice. When he finally did go for it(train with Marinovich to help his strength and cardio) he had his 4 fight title run against average opponents.... He beat Hughes when he caught him early both times, but when Hughes pulled him past the 2nd he got stopped in fight 2. Jens pulled him deep and won Frankie did it twice, he lost his 2 round lead to Fitch, gassed by the 3rd. In the UFC the only win by decision was Diego. Rory woulda killed him, Im glad thats off cause I couldnt stomach that loss to the little juiced up, GSP clone. Rory is very good and would have probably been the first to finish Bj. Kampman is a very good fighter,I think the best of the contenders, and hes near 6'2', Bj will lose again for all the above reasons. I'll root for him, he'll probably do something at some point to give me a smither of hope he'll win, then I'll be disappointed again but Bj isnt gonna beat this guy. My whole point being, "The Prodigy" Bj Penn is a prodigy at juitz only. As a fighter I will say he is a great fighter, but a not a fighting prodigy. 1 time around 10 years ago he had the only great fight in his career beating the Beast Matt Hughes in Matt's prime. Bj the under dog and about 20 pounds lighter or more at the time, finished the champ and shocked the world, and hasnt captured a moment like that since.

Anderson couldn't do it' date=' and BJ is in his twilight, Maia is prime, I figure it's 50/50 with a slight edge to BJ cuz the KO power/Boxing, but Maia can take down anybody and submit them, including BJ. Thats just fact, Maia would beast BJ on the ground I think...[/quote']

Maia going to take down Penn? LMAO! GSP couldn't take Penn down in the first round until he got greasy in the 2nd. Maia would get KO'd in the first round. Anderson was fooling with Maia in their fight. Silva had Maia hurt at the end of round 1.

Archived