Shogun Fight

Andy_Anderson

Am I the only one that Shogun looked great last night? He knocked out the best Vera I've watched and showed alot of heart. He gassed after taking a couple huge elbows in the grill in the 1st round. Shots like that will knock the cardio outta anyone' date=' People need a bit of perspective here.[/quote']

yea I'm sure his cardio was sapped only by those elbows

meanwhile lauzon gets hit with some nasty body shots and nothing

hmmmm

Am I the only one that Shogun looked great last night? He knocked out the best Vera I've watched and showed alot of heart. He gassed after taking a couple huge elbows in the grill in the 1st round. Shots like that will knock the cardio outta anyone' date=' People need a bit of perspective here.[/quote']

Yeah.

You are the only one.

it's the way Shogun fights, always pushing forward and trying to finish, that would gas anyone.

Being gassed doesn't effect Shogun's performance though, he's whent 5 hard rounds before.

And yea, that was a sick KO by Shogun, idk why they wrote TKO that was a KO by Shogun.

Nothing wrong with Brandon Vera

Just bad luck for him

This fight against Shogun was awesome although he was finished

He fought hard and showed heart and a will to go on

Shogun looked pretty good out there

Mixing up strikes with TDs

Brandon Vera deserves respect!!

Too many bandwagon noobs write off fighters too easily just because they have "lost"

MMA has the worst fans

WAR VERA!!!

Wdypt.jpg

um...yes he does

Not everyone is a bandwagon noob who only supports fighters who win

Some mma fans actually support fighters who go though though ups and downs of life involving the good and bad times of a fighter's career

Nothing but respect for Vera!!!

so..... WAR VERA!!!

Nothing wrong with Brandon Vera

Just bad luck for him

This fight against Shogun was awesome although he was finished

He fought hard and showed heart and a will to go on

Shogun looked pretty good out there

Mixing up strikes with TDs

Brandon Vera deserves respect!!

Too many bandwagon noobs write off fighters too easily just because they have "lost"

MMA has the worst fans

WAR VERA!!!

I was actually saying Vera would win this fight before it took place. Just thinking how bad Shogun has looked out there most of the time. He just seems to have zero conditioning.

I never wrote Vera off, I would love to see old shogun, but he's just lost that old Shogun hunger. That or knee surgeries have taken it out of him. Something.

Vera could have finished that fight late in round one and definitely in round two if he had anymore cardio than Shogun. 30 other guys could have too. Vera looked good against a completely gassed out top 25 fighter. Shogun looked lack luster against a completely gassed, ring rusted Brandon Vera.

I like Shogun and I like Vera, that fight was like watching two old people fighting over a traffic accident. Not two top 5 UFC fighters. That's all I'm saying.

um...yes he does

Not everyone is a bandwagon noob who only supports fighters who win

Some mma fans actually support fighters who go though though ups and downs of life involving the good and bad times of a fighter's career

Nothing but respect for Vera!!!

so..... WAR VERA!!!

yea because you were his die hard supporter when he got bongo drummed by thiago silva and nearly lost to elliot marshall :rolleyes:

yea because you were his die hard supporter when he got bongo drummed by thiago silva and nearly lost to elliot marshall :rolleyes:

Not a diehard supporter

Just someone who acknowledged that things were not going his way and hoped he can pull himself from the rock bottom that he was in and and get back on the horse and make it happen for himself

He tooled T.Silva in the standup by the way

Respect Vera!!

I wouldn't call it love

Just acknowledgement and respect

2 qualities this forum lacks

No, those two things miss the meaning on you. Because people disagree with your opinion, you throw them into these categories to try and make your stance seem somewhat better, or you to seem better as a whole. It's not working.

No' date=' those two things miss the meaning on you. Because people disagree with your opinion, you throw them into these categories to try and make your stance seem somewhat better, or you to seem better as a whole. It's not working.[/quote']

Well i'm not gonna take back "Respect Vera" because he deserves that respect

I know mma hipsters like yourself and others can't stand the fact that a fighter who in unranked actually has fans

Not everyone is a bandwagon newbie who only supports the fighters that are winning

Try and support a fighter who goes though ups and downs of life

War Vera!!! and a good win for Shogun

Respect Vera for what?? Sure in that fight he showed some determination and heart respect to that. Then what?? NO real professional athletes especially not someone with experience like Vera should be gaz out in round 1. If you don't agree you clearly don't no what a professional athlete is. They get in shape for a living.

Then he admitted that fame went up his head that he was ****y and stopped taking training seriously in the pass blablabjal (press conference). So what we have here could be compare to an ex-con who gets out of jail and tries to change his ways. Does he deserve that much respect for that?.... not really because that's what he should of done in the first place like all the other freaking athletes do its call being professional.

I thought he looked better than he has lately. He is still beatable. He is not the guy from Pride any more.

Respect Vera for what?? Sure in that fight he showed some determination and heart respect to that. Then what?? NO real professional athletes especially not someone with experience like Vera should be gaz out in round 1. If you don't agree you clearly don't no what a professional athlete is. They get in shape for a living.

Then he admitted that fame went up his head that he was ****y and stopped taking training seriously in the pass blablabjal (press conference). So what we have here could be compare to an ex-con who gets out of jail and tries to change his ways. Does he deserve that much respect for that?.... not really because that's what he should of done in the first place like all the other freaking athletes do its call being professional.

Coz it's not a bodybuilding contest, Have you ever seen Fedor? He looks like a pudgy kid in his fights, yet many here consider him to be the GOAT. Don't knock MMA training just because you didn't get to fap to some goddamn chiseled abs!

This is what the sport has come down to? A guy who's UFC career and back is against the wall and is in a no win situation and what does he do? he comes out and presses forward the whole damn fight bringing it to the former champ and #1 contender. Now this #1 contender is good so he lands big shots, but this guy sums up that warrior spirit and comes run after run at the former champ for 4 rounds before finally getting caught....... and your response is Meh', wasn't impressed., no respect given

And all some of you can say is "oh i wasn't impressed". I mean im not bashing but "i wasn't impressed".

Unreal!!!

Herps gonna derp!!

Coz it's not a bodybuilding contest' date=' Have you ever seen Fedor? He looks like a pudgy kid in his fights, yet many here consider him to be the GOAT. Don't knock MMA training just because you didn't get to fap to some goddamn chiseled abs!

This is what the sport has come down to? A guy who's UFC career and back is against the wall and is in a no win situation and what does he do? he comes out and presses forward the whole damn fight bringing it to the former champ and #1 contender. Now this #1 contender is good so he lands big shots, but this guy sums up that warrior spirit and comes run after run at the former champ for 4 rounds before finally getting caught....... and your response is Meh', wasn't impressed., no respect given

And all some of you can say is "oh i wasn't impressed". I mean im not bashing but "i wasn't impressed".

Unreal!!!

Herps gonna derp!![/quote']

I dont think he meant that Shogun needs to be ripped. He just meant that Shogun should have better cardio. Hes getting paid a lot of money to fight. Part of being effective in a fight is having good cardio and Shogun just hasnt shown the same cardio that he has in the past which is ashame because part of his 6-figure salary should be paying for better conditioning.

That being said I agree that Vera showed heart. But the fight kind of reminded me of Griffin vs. Ortiz 3. Neither of them looked to be at their best. But it was still an entertaining fight.

Coz it's not a bodybuilding contest' date=' Have you ever seen Fedor? He looks like a pudgy kid in his fights, yet many here consider him to be the GOAT. Don't knock MMA training just because you didn't get to fap to some goddamn chiseled abs!

Unreal!!!

I honestly think you have something wrong with your head.

Unreal!!!

This

Totally agree with everything WAMMA has said...

He must be in the 5% of this forum that isnt a total moron, the rest just come on here to say stupid things, start arguments and make fun of/abuse just about every fighter on here.

You complained at 149 when the fights 'sucked' and the fighters didnt come to fight, Shogun and vera come out put everything on the line, have an absolute war, both take punishment, and there is even a finish in the fight, and you also complain about that??

please go and watch a different sport, ****ing clueless idiots.

And something else if your style is always pressing forward and throwing big punches you are going to gass out. Anyone would. Those two fighters were "sprinting" the whole fight. Only the most conditioned fighters could maybe kept the pace they were doing, like Franklin or Forrest, and even that is a big IF for me.

U use much less energy if u wait and counter.

I actually know this since I went quite a few rounds myself. I am nowhere near pro level but I have a better perspective of what is going to tire u out.

Shogun vs Vera is like 2 arena league football teams going at it. It might look like a good game when they are paired against eachother, but if you put one of them up against a good NFL team, its going to get ugly and you'll see just how big the gap in skill level is.

Let's be honest here people, with that performance against Vera, Rua did not look like he would fair any better against Jones a second time around. He might even do worse.

this was a tiring fight....if your always pushing the pace its gonna tire you alot more....im not saying shogun shouldnt be better conditioned, but im saying he went 4 rounds at a fast pace with a guy throwing back at a fast pace...so its tiring...

if it was like the machida fight, where it was kick, wait, counter he wouldnt be as tired....

And something else if your style is always pressing forward and throwing big punches you are going to gass out. Anyone would. Those two fighters were "sprinting" the whole fight. Only the most conditioned fighters could maybe kept the pace they were doing' date=' like Franklin or Forrest, and even that is a big IF for me.

U use much less energy if u wait and counter.

I actually know this since I went quite a few rounds myself. I am nowhere near pro level but I have a better perspective of what is going to tire u out.[/quote']

...Except when they were lying on one another doing jack squat.

Sorry but the fight sucked. This is the UFC, not the local sports bar. I felt like I was watching a couple of out of shape scrubs.

I thought it was rather slow paced with spirts of combo action when Vera would get backed into the cage. The grappling is what tired them both out in round one. Shogun came out, took a kick, and went straight for the takedown. He would've done so the whole time had Vera not gotten up a couple times, but by that time they were both tired and started building up for two strike combos every now and again. I think it would've ended similarly, but I think the standup war would've been a lot busier and full speed had they not grappled. It certainly would've been better.

I dont think he meant that Shogun needs to be ripped. He just meant that Shogun should have better cardio. Hes getting paid a lot of money to fight. Part of being effective in a fight is having good cardio and Shogun just hasnt shown the same cardio that he has in the past which is ashame because part of his 6-figure salary should be paying for better conditioning.

That being said I agree that Vera showed heart. But the fight kind of reminded me of Griffin vs. Ortiz 3. Neither of them looked to be at their best. But it was still an entertaining fight.

yes this is what I meant

lol i meant they should have cardio I don't care if they look ripped or not. I see some post about how people are just complaining that the fight suck blablalbalbla THEY GASSED OUT IN THE FREAKING FIRST ROUND. Not the first time it happens in the ufc but it shouldn't happen!!! cmon thats what they do for a linving training for a 3 to 5 round fight. and shogun is no beginner he's considered one of the best.

Have you seen top level boxers like Mayweather, Ali, tyson etc.. gaz out in the first 3 rounds? NO !!!!!!!

Okay well name me another fighter that knocked Vera out on his feet?

Good luck with that...

Most fighters have the decency to allow their opponent to adjust their mouthguard before attacking.

Also Elliot Marshall damn near finished him standing before Vera resorted to wall n stall

Most fighters have the decency to allow their opponent to adjust their mouthguard before attacking.

Also Elliot Marshall damn near finished him standing before Vera resorted to wall n stall

Are you ****ing serious? If I'm throwing punches and one happens to knock a mans mouthpiece halfway out of his mouth and he would rather put it back in and not defend strikes that's his problem. Vera was nearly knocked out much earlier in the fight. Had Shogun finished him the first time he had him on ***** street he would be getting the next title shot. Vera hangs in there for 4 rounds losing all 4 in the process of getting his *** beat and somehow he's getting more praise than Shogun. People are saying Shogun is done but apparently Vera is tough and still a very game light heavy despite being knocked the **** out. Tko my *** he was ****ing out.

Oh yeah I said name me a fighter that finished Vera on his feet... not one that "damn near finished him standing"

Archived