Is the internet the great equalizer?

Sisti

I just thought of something...is the internet the great equalizer in the world?

Throughout history, the disempowered group has always been scared off from saying what they want to say. Whether it's fear of imprisionment, mockery, or assault, no group that's disenfranchised is able to get their point across

With the internet, no matter who you are, everyone gets their say in what they think is right

Kinda cool

I agree it empowers people, not sure if its a "great equalizer", as it really depends on your effective use of it.

However - I really think it has created a generation of "internet tough guys" who have gone so long talk smack online that it has begun permeating into their real life interaction with others.

I once read that you should approach ANY online forum as though you are walking into a crowded room for the first time. This is so true, as online anonymity has emboldened people to behave in a way they might not otherwise in real life.

China's citizens do not get a say. North Korea citizens do not get a say

It is a good thing to have and can be a good toll if use for good' date=' but some countries will never give their people freedom of expression[/quote']

I seem to recall how Iran cracked down hard on their protestors use of the internet as well...

I seem to recall how Iran cracked down hard on their protestors use of the internet as well...

Yes, that is true. A lot of middle eastern countries have done so over the years.

Its great that we can have the opportunity to have a frank, free and honest discussion but its not quite the equalizer the OP thinks it is. which is a great shame

I agree it empowers people' date=' not sure if its a "great equalizer", as it really depends on your effective use of it.

However - I really think it has created a generation of "internet tough guys" who have gone so long talk smack online that it has begun permeating into their real life interaction with others.

I once read that you should approach ANY online forum as though you are walking into a crowded room for the first time. This is so true, as online anonymity has emboldened people to behave in a way they might not otherwise in real life.[/quote']

very good points

I think that the longer the internet is around, the more common courtesy will start come into place. Anonymity boldens people and they will insult, swear, or be more bold than they would in "real life." But I think the backlash against "keyboard warriors" has come, and a lot of people in a forum like this start ostracizing those people

reputations start to exist in the online world as well.

The best example is to look at how nice people are to each other on facebook because that is not as anonymous

The more people are online, the more people start knowing others online. Even this forum, people start to post pics of themself and even know other members personally

very good points

I think that the longer the internet is around' date=' the more common courtesy will start come into place. Anonymity boldens people and they will insult, swear, or be more bold than they would in "real life." But I think the backlash against "keyboard warriors" has come, and a lot of people in a forum like this start ostracizing those people

reputations start to exist in the online world as well.

The best example is to look at how nice people are to each other on facebook because that is not as anonymous

The more people are online, the more people start knowing others online. Even this forum, people start to post pics of themself and even know other members personally[/quote']

Speak for yourself. I'm just as big of a **** on Facebook as I am on here when responding to stupidity.

Archived