Why Shogun picked Vera

vatio

People are giving Shogun **** for picking a "weak" opponent, maybe ducking others, and not striking with Vera, but I think Shogun had a strategy in mind for Jones and he wanted to try it out on someone of comparable height/reach before facing Jones. Since he was testing this out for the first time, he didn't want to pick someone too hard to experiment with.

I do want to give him **** for having **** cardio, but bear in mind it is tremendously draining to wrestle as opposed to pure striking; as Shogun found out.

If I'm right, his experiment backfired and the match went to Machida, but he didn't know Dana would go back on his word when he plotted it.

All in all, I'd say it would be a bad idea for Shogun to use the same strategy against Jones.

Comments?

Strategy???hmmm how about NO.

His only strategy was to confirm the easy time Hendo had hitting him was no fluke,he has the defense of a CFL football team.

I see absolutely no game plan that Shogun could use versus Jones,he is actually not very good at anything.

The most impressive notables in that fight was Vera's heart and Vera's elbow use,the rest of the fight was like two amateurs competing for TUF house.

Strategy???hmmm how about NO.

His only strategy was to confirm the easy time Hendo had hitting him was no fluke' date='he has the defense of a CFL football team.

I see absolutely no game plan that Shogun could use versus Jones,he is actually not very good at anything.

The most impressive notables in that fight was Vera's heart and Vera's elbow use,the rest of the fight was like two amateurs competing for TUF house.[/quote']

You think that if Shogun got to face Jones again, that he would try kickboxing Jones again? I think he was trying out his wrestling, and since that's not what he's known for, it made him look amateurish.

why shogun picked vera?

so he didn't have to train for the fight, because honestly it looked like he didn't do any cardio in his camp out there

there wasn't even that much going on in the first round and by the second shogun was winging arm punches and looking exhausted, how he managed to still put on an exciting fight is beyond my comprehension but at the same time the fight was kind of pathetic

And it didnt work Vera kicked shoguns ***... he hit Vera when he was putting in his Mouth piece

Lol Vera was KO'd fair and square..

Shogun walked through every shot and to his credit so did Vera until the killing blow most guys would have been out way before then, Ruas cardio was **** yes but he admitted that post fight I'm sure he will work on it.

Lol Vera was KO'd fair and square..

Shogun walked through every shot and to his credit so did Vera until the killing blow most guys would have been out way before then' date=' Ruas cardio was **** yes but he admitted that post fight I'm sure he will work on it.[/quote']

What makes you think he'll work on it? It's been **** for a while now.

Also to the OP' date=' there's no way he chose Vera to test out a strategy vs Jones. They're not even similar, and Jones raped Vera.[/quote']

If you want to fight a tall skinny guy with reach, you might want to try out your strategy against a tall skinny guy with reach. No?

If you want to fight a tall skinny guy with reach' date=' you might want to try out your strategy against a tall skinny guy with reach. No?[/quote']

Not when they're completely different fighters. Plus Vera's reach isn't anywhere near as close as Jones'. 6 inch difference.

Shogun went in there and tried to wrestle Vera you really think he'd do that to Jones? That's just asking to tap to strikes again.

Not when they're completely different fighters. Plus Vera's reach isn't anywhere near as close as Jones'. 6 inch difference.

Shogun went in there and tried to wrestle Vera you really think he'd do that to Jones? That's just asking to tap to strikes again.

I think if Shogun tried to kickbox Jones again, he would get destroyed again. If you take kickboxing away, what's left? Why not wrestling?

Vera can hang with anybody on the feet. Thats why Shogun tried to wrestle him. I think Vera was in awe of Shogun the first round and he got hit with some big shots. Then in the second round he found out Shogun ain't as bad *** as he though he was and started picking him apart on the feet.

Shogun and Vera have the same reach.........

Shogun wanted an easy win' date=' and it backfired.[/quote']

Not according to wikipedia :P

Shows Vera 6'3", 78inch reach.

Shogun: 6'1", 76 inch reach.

Closer than I thought though. In the fight Vera looked so much taller.

he looked bad in the fight and showed no indication he is ready for Jones again.

thats the same Shogun thats been showed up in every UFC fight except the second Machida fight.

He beat an old out of shape Coleman, Chuck Liddell who cant take a strong wind on his chin, a heartless Forrest Griffin, and Brandon Vera. Yea he is p4p

thats the same Shogun thats been showed up in every UFC fight except the second Machida fight.

He beat an old out of shape Coleman' date=' Chuck Liddell who cant take a strong wind on his chin, a heartless Forrest Griffin, and Brandon Vera. Yea he is p4p[/quote']

When Shogun faced Machida for the first time, I thought it was going to be super easy for Machida. He surprised me and a lot of people. However, he hasn't shown to be quite at that level with other fighters. Might be that Shogun's kickboxing is the perfect counter to Machida, but not great against other top 5.

If Vera actually pressured Shogun instead of backing into the cage the whole time he could have gotten a TKO of his own. Shogun was vulnerable in that fight big time.

I think you cant pressure Shogun that much beacuse he has a chin advantage over almost anyone. If you pressure Shogun you are just inviting a slugfest where he trives. Noone can stand in the pocket and trade punches with Rua except Hendo obviously and maybe Rampage

he picked the vera fight becuase it was really the only fight he had the gas tank to fight, i mean he looked exhausted in the second round and vera has a well known name if undeserving and is a soft opponent for shogun, any other well known fighter on that day would of walked through shogun. I think it backfired on shogun because he wasnt expecting such a fight from vera.

I think you cant pressure Shogun that much beacuse he has a chin advantage over almost anyone. If you pressure Shogun you are just inviting a slugfest where he trives. Noone can stand in the pocket and trade punches with Rua except Hendo obviously and maybe Rampage

Maybe, but if you're hemmed up against the fence with nowhere to retreat while Shogun lobs haymakers at you the whole time you're not going to last long for sure. When Vera had space he was landing blows. When he bent over bobbing and weaving against the fence he was getting peppered. Shogun was definately hittable in that fight from start to finish though.

If Vera actually pressured Shogun instead of backing into the cage the whole time he could have gotten a TKO of his own. Shogun was vulnerable in that fight big time.

This is what I felt about the fight the whole time. I was completely entertained through the fight. Just looked like a couple highschool kids winging it out there is all.

Kind of like Rampage vs Rashad. Rampage could have finished him and just didn't.

no vera is 34 6'3 with a 76 inch reach with not even half the wrestling skills as Jon Jones does. Plus Jones is way more athletic. Vera is nothing like jones. Now maybe if Vera finished college on his wrestling scholarship at ODU his wrestling might be ten times better than what it is now. Shogun is ducking Glover in sense because Shogun has everything to lose in that fight fighting a lesser opponent. Glover texiera is a beast though and if he ever fought Shogun I would pick Glover in a heartbeat.

Archived