Bad cardio in the UFC

vatio

Why? Really. These guys are professionals in the best MMA league. Their whole lives are supposed to revolve around the sport, yet so many gas out early in a fight. In boxing you train your cardio until you can continuously throw punches for 12 rounds. Not only Shogun last Saturday. You see it all too often. More so in the guys in TUF. Makes me think they don't take the sport seriously. IMO these individuals make the UFC look bad. Why do they fail to train their cardio?

This is a very tiring and draining sport. And to do it for 5 straight minutes per round is exhausting. In other sports, you get to rest for minutes. Not just one. And it's not as strenuous.

EDIT: in boxing, it's not 5 minute rounds. And you don't pummel, grapple, sprawl, or work on the cage. It's exhausting.

This is a very tiring and draining sport. And to do it for 5 straight minutes per round is exhausting. In other sports' date=' you get to rest for minutes. Not just one. And it's not as strenuous.[/quote']

They should train for however demanding the sport is. A lot of fighters seem to train properly, but a lot clearly don't.

They should train for however demanding the sport is. A lot of fighters seem to train properly' date=' but a lot clearly don't.[/quote']

I'm on a good diet, I drink 1 1/2-2 gallons of water a day, drink protein, take vitamins and train everyday.

And I still get tired. Especially when we work against the cage. It sucks. It's so strenuous. You have to be a great athlete to not get tired. Shogun is not a great athlete. GSP is. Jon Jones is. Ben Henderson is. That's why they don't tire out.

Some people are just born with no cardio in my opinion

Look at GSP

He gassed in the Shields fight and all he did was throw jabs for 25 minutes. Granted it could have some to do with Shields throwing him a beating but I don't think so

And GSP trains year around with no breaks

I just think some people are born that way

Have you ever been in a fight?

If so' date=' how easy was it to pace yourself?[/quote']

When I boxed, I trained running until I could run indefinitely. Jump rope adds a tremendous amount of endurance too. I also had timed punching bag sessions until I could continuously punch for an extended period of time. I never gassed boxing. When I did some wrestling I found I gassed even with my training, so I had to train moving heavy objects to compensate (more red muscle endurance). I did things like push a car on neutral and weight training. My reflexes weren't good enough and I wasn't fast enough for me to pursue a career, but I did alright as an amateur. I tried game theory to some success but not enough (you make your opponent do what you want him to do, or at least guess what he's going to do).

Look at GSP

He gassed in the Shields fight and all he did was throw jabs for 25 minutes. Granted it could have some to do with Shields throwing him a beating but I don't think so

GSP said he got his eye scratched early in the second round and he could see for 4 rounds. That's why he threw jabs for 25 minutes.

The Diaz brothers are cardio beasts. Use them as an example. You don't have to do ironman either. I think the crossfit competitions are more relevant to fighting.

GSP said he got his eye scratched early in the second round and he could see for 4 rounds. That's why he threw jabs for 25 minutes.

The Diaz brothers are cardio beasts. Use them as an example. You don't have to do ironman either. I think the crossfit competitions are more relevant to fighting.

well there style is what allows them to do what they do, punches is bunches with about 60% into them...

have you ever fought? or sparred even? or grappled? that **** is tiring' date=' especially if u combine all the aspects....

i have trained(im not perfectly fit so im not a good example) but i got tired a good bit, even going like 60%[/quote']

They are tiring for you, but don't you think the most elite athletes in MMA should be prepared for it?

They are tiring for you' date=' but don't you think the most elite athletes in MMA should be prepared for it?[/quote']

show me which fighter(at 205+) has never gasses, or looked tired(after going 3+ rounds)....

185 and below usually have awsome cardio, becouse there smaller with less muscle mass...

show me which fighter(at 205+) has never gasses' date=' or looked tired(after going 3+ rounds)....

185 and below usually have awsome cardio, becouse there smaller with less muscle mass...[/quote']

They can get tired or hurt, just not gas out completely. I've never seen Machida, Jones, Forest, or Nogeira gas out just off the top of my head. I never saw Brock gas out and he was 265lbs. JDS also doesn't gas out as a heavy.

They can get tired or hurt' date=' just not gas out completely. I've never seen Machida, Jones, Forest, or Nogeira gas out just off the top of my head. I never saw Brock gas out and he was 265lbs. JDS also doesn't gas out as a heavy.[/quote']

jones:round 3 of bonnar fights

forrest:round 3 of ortiz fight # 3

machida:is technical usually doesnt get past round1, only times he was past round 2 was rampage fight(he was backpeddling alot, not engaging), and shogun fight(mainly counterstrikes, not goin forward constantly)

negeira:shogun fight/brilz

i pointed out the ones in my head, theres more instances...

brock ddnt get past round 3 in any of his fights....

JDS gassed in the carwin fight he was throwin jabs in the end

EDIT: i rewatched the shogun fight, the one thing that drained him was those 3 STRONG elbows vera threw while he was gainst the cage....shogun was pushing forward strong, and he got hit 3 good times...

jones:round 3 of bonnar fights

forrest:round 3 of ortiz fight # 3

machida:is technical usually doesnt get past round1' date=' only times he was past round 2 was rampage fight(he was backpeddling alot, not engaging), and shogun fight(mainly counterstrikes, not goin forward constantly)

negeira:shogun fight/brilz

i pointed out the ones in my head, theres more instances...

brock ddnt get past round 3 in any of his fights....

JDS gassed in the carwin fight he was throwin jabs in the end[/quote']

I think your definition of gassing out is more liberal than mine.

what i`m reading here is ridiculous. People saying have you ever fought its tiring? WHAT!! or others referring to their cardio and their training and how difficult it is. WERE TALKING ABOUT UFC ATHLETES. PROFESSIONAL not amateurs . GUYS who are the best of the best at the sport.

I do agree that MMA must be more tiring than boxing because of the different aspect of the sport. Does it really explain first round gazzing.... I don`t think so. They`re are lots of ufc guys out there that doesn`t gaz out easily. .... and please stop giving example of gassing out in the third round its in the freaking 3RDround!!! 14 minutes in not 4.

what i`m reading here is ridiculous. People saying have you ever fought its tiring? WHAT!! or others referring to their cardio and their training and how difficult it is. WERE TALKING ABOUT UFC ATHLETES. PROFESSIONAL not amateurs . GUYS who are the best of the best at the sport.

I do agree that MMA must be more tiring than boxing because of the different aspect of the sport. Does it really explain first round gazzing.... I don`t think so. They`re are lots of ufc guys out there that doesn`t gaz out easily. .... and please stop giving example of gassing out in the third round its in the freaking 3RDround!!! 14 minutes in not 4.

This. If you are in this sport....you should train hard for 3 round wars minimum!! Yes it can be done....your body will adapt to it. I really believe some fighters just go in there thinking Ima knock this fool out in first round so i don't need to train too hard.

Grappling is a whole different animal when it comes to the amount of energy needed to expend. Especially if your a dude who is worried about the ground. Some guys panic when it hits the ground or when a dude has them up against the fence tying to rip their legs out.

Grappling is a whole different animal when it comes to the amount of energy needed to expend. Especially if your a dude who is worried about the ground. Some guys panic when it hits the ground or when a dude has them up against the fence tying to rip their legs out.

Whatever the challenges of the sport are, an elite professional athlete should be prepared to deal with them. A lot do. The ones who don't make the sport look bad. If someone completely gasses out in a match I'd give them a warning and if the next fight they still do, I'd kick them out.

Watch the NBA, you will see top athletes get tired. Watch the NFL, you will see top athletes getting tired. Soccer, hockey, they all get tired. Hell, sometimes they even get long breaks to rest up. The same can't be said for UFC.

Comparing it to boxing is not a fair comparison. Boxing rounds aren't 5 minutes, they don't have to worry about grappling, take-downs, kicks, knees, elbows, etc. And don't hand me this crap that top boxers never get gassed, because I've seen it happen.

A big part of how gassed they get depends on the pace their opponent sets and how hard their opponent pushes them. There are times when fighters don't have training partners that can set the pace of their opponent. Plus, no matter how much you train, it's not the same as getting hit by someone who is trying to knock you out. Getting hit full blast takes a lot out of a guy.

Look at GSP

It is not easy at all to throw jabs for 25 minutes against something with resistance, such as a person or a heavy bag. Even at the air, 25 minutes is extremely tiring... If people don't train cardio correctly, they will fall to the bottom and allow the ones that do to rise to the top. That is the difference between the fighters that train right, and ones that don't. If you think that's easy, just try holding a pencil straight out in front of you, eye level, between both of your pointer fingers for 25 minutes, it will become 100 pounds really quick.

They should train for however demanding the sport is. A lot of fighters seem to train properly' date=' but a lot clearly don't.[/quote']

Even the most well conditioned athlete in the world can gas if the pace is high enough.

Getting beat up and going into panic mode to survive ( which happens to all fighters getting beat up and taken out of thier element ) can accelerate gassing and you can't really train for a war all the time. If you sparred exactly like it was a fight more than a few times a week you'd be so banged up you'd never be able to fight or even progress your skills.

Another thing is fighters focus thier training to play to THIER fight and THIER strengths so when things don't go accordingly in the fight they gas easier because they are not as used to it.

Not that they don't work on other areas, potential weak points an advesary will likely try to exploit or how to avoid and oppponents strong points but you simply can't be totally prepared skill wise and conditioned for everything.

Assuming all fighters are equally conditioned the fighter that dictates the pace and place is going to use energy more effeciently and be less tired and take less damage which has an accumlating effect.

Even the most well conditioned athlete in the world can gas if the pace is high enough.

Getting beat up and going into panic mode to survive ( which happens to all fighters getting beat up and taken out of thier element ) can accelerate gassing and you can't really train for a war all the time. If you sparred exactly like it was a fight more than a few times a week you'd be so banged up you'd never be able to fight or even progress your skills.

Another thing is fighters focus thier training to play to THIER fight and THIER strengths so when things don't go accordingly in the fight they gas easier because they are not as used to it.

Not that they don't work on other areas' date=' potential weak points an advesary will likely try to exploit or how to avoid and oppponents strong points but you simply can't be totally prepared skill wise and conditioned for everything.

Assuming all fighters are equally conditioned the fighter that dictates the pace and place is going to use energy more effeciently and be less tired and take less damage which has an accumlating effect.[/quote']

I doubt there's a pace that will tire out the Diaz brothers. I've never seen Machida tired either, and he's gone 5 rounds. So has Jones. And many others. These fighters have set the bar that others should match. That said, my main problem is with some fighters gassing out after 1 round. Surely an elite MMA fighter's training should take them past 1 round, no? I agree that getting beat up doesn't count as being gassed.

I doubt there's a pace that will tire out the Diaz brothers. I've never seen Machida tired either' date=' and he's gone 5 rounds. So has Jones. And many others. These fighters have set the bar that others should match. That said, my main problem is with some fighters gassing out after 1 round. Surely an elite MMA fighter's training should take them past 1 round, no? I agree that getting beat up doesn't count as being gassed.[/quote']

GSP, Guida, Diaz, Jones, Machida etc. are exceptions and i've seen them all suck wind between rounds when a round was very busy. None of them take a lot of damage in thier fights usually except maybe Diaz and he dishes out alot more than he takes. He is also a cardio athlete and his unique style isn't for everyone.

People also forget people get injured in training and it effects thier training and performances.

In five minute rounds when your even a little tired starting to reach a threshold after sprint, sprint, sprint pace and the pace is still pushed and your taking damage along with the mental stress of being picked apart you can gas easily even if in good shape. There other person pushing the pace is tired too but the one taking more damage and getting forced into not fighting thier fight is gonna be more tired unless they're a freak cardio athlete a super high threshold for taking punishment.

That can easily happen in the first round especially if you don't build up but come out guns blazing and continue to blaze. BJ Penn is a perfect example. He can go three no problem but if he comes out super hard and didn't really amount to much it's like he's fighting a fresh opponent after he went three. It's gonna make a difference.

The main point is you can have amazing conditioning but if your not fighting YOUR fight you get tired especially if your taking a beating on top of being forced to fight a fight your not used to.

Whatever the challenges of the sport are' date=' an elite professional athlete should be prepared to deal with them. A lot do. The ones who don't make the sport look bad. If someone completely gasses out in a match I'd give them a warning and if the next fight they still do, I'd kick them out.[/quote']

Elite athletes are also in baseball-but they don't need the conditioning MMA guys do.However I do agree it's a shame guys gas out.

It is not easy at all to throw jabs for 25 minutes against something with resistance' date=' such as a person or a heavy bag. Even at the air, 25 minutes is extremely tiring... If people don't train cardio correctly, they will fall to the bottom and allow the ones that do to rise to the top. That is the difference between the fighters that train right, and ones that don't. If you think that's easy, just try holding a pencil straight out in front of you, eye level, between both of your pointer fingers for 25 minutes, it will become 100 pounds really quick.[/quote']

reel-deal-cape-cod-fishing-charter09.jpg

True, mma fighters just enjoy the different aspects of the game that isn't cardio more. It is a luxury that will not be possible as the sport progresses. Being ****y at your level does not prove a point though. Cardio goes aganst cardio, pressure against pressure. Your amateur fights are nothing like the real deal.

I don't think it happens quite as often as you say it does. It does happen with the lower tier fighters a bit, but those guys are 1) newish to the fight game at an elite level, 2) suffering from stage fright most likely and 3) not heavily trained. The top fighters in general don't gas out. I can't think of many fighters above gate-keeper status that gas out regularly other than Rua.

Keep in mind that a fighter who takes a fight on short notice and gasses doesn't really count here.

Archived