Jay Hieron to fight Ellenberger at UFC 151

JonesyUK

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30092/jay-hieron-rejoins-the-ufc-meets-jake-ellenberger-at-ufc-151.mma

Seven years after his most recent trip to the octagon, Jay Hieron (23-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC) is returning to the UFC.

Multiples sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) that Hieron has agreed to replace injured Josh Koscheck (17-6 MMA, 15-6 UFC) and now will meet fellow welterweight Jake Ellenberger (27-6 MMA, 6-2 UFC) at UFC 151.

Signed bout agreements and a formal announcement are expected shortly.

UFC 151 takes place Sept. 1 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event's main card airs live on pay-per-view while FX and Facebook host preliminary-card fights.

On Tuesday, UFC officials announced Koscheck's withdrawal from the co-main-event fight due to injury.

Hieron currently is on an 11-1 run, and the lone defeat came via split decision to Bellator champion Ben Askren in an October title fight. Due to differences with company officials, Hieron then parted ways with Bellator and signed with the Texas-based Legacy Fighting Championship. This past month, he earned a second-round submission win over Romario da Silva in his promotional debut. A source told MMAjunkie.com that Legacy officials, who recently have sent many of their fighters to the UFC, let Hieron out of his contract to follow suit.

Hieron, a former NCAA Division I wrestler and IFL champion, fought twice in the UFC; he suffered a TKO loss to now-champ Georges St-Pierre in 2004 at UFC 46, and a cut prompted a defeat to Jonathan Goulet at UFC Fight Night 2 a year later.

Meanwhile, Ellenberger most recently suffered his first loss since a split-decision defeat to Carlos Condit in his UFC debut in September 2009. After that setback, Ellenberger went on a six-fight win streak with four knockout victories. The highlights of the two-year-plus run included a 53-second knockout of Jake Shields this past September and a "Fight of the Night" unanimous-decision win over Diego Sanchez in February.

Not gonna lie, I had to look up who the **** he is !!!

23-5, last fought for UFC in 2004 losing to GSP.

Won a UD against Ellenberger in IFL 2006.

Bellator season 4 WW tournament winner, lost resulting championship fight with Ben Askren last year

Can't believe most of you guys have no clue who Jay Hieron is..I guess I must be one of the few to know who he is..Because the IFL got me watching MMA. Jay is a beast. Great striking, fast, light on his feet. Wrestling isn't all that bad either. The only thing that is his downside is his chin. He's been rocked and dropped a few times in his career, if Jake lands one of his bombs, he can put him away. If only the thoroughbred was younger, he would have a major career in the UFC. Father time and his chin is what is going to make him a gatekeeper. But I love the dude, and I love watching him fight. Going to be rooting for the underdog this time.

Can't believe most of you guys have no clue who Jay Hieron is..I guess I must be one of the few to know who he is..Because the IFL got me watching MMA. Jay is a beast. Great striking' date=' fast, light on his feet. Wrestling isn't all that bad either. The only thing that is his downside is his chin. He's been rocked and dropped a few times in his career, if Jake lands one of his bombs, he can put him away. If only the thoroughbred was younger, he would have a major career in the UFC. Father time and his chin is what is going to make him a gatekeeper. But I love the dude, and I love watching him fight. Going to be rooting for the underdog this time.[/quote']

You're a *****, you only root him to make Askren look better.

That being said, I was confident he beat Askren and Hieron is a really solid, seasoned and well rounded guy who trains at the highest of levels with guys like Kampmann, Mike Pyle, Michael Chandler and so on, regularly. Good record, has faced and beaten good guys, he's a bit old now and I don't see him getting past Jake, but a solid addition to an already stacked division, I'd like to see him face a Brenneman or Rick Story if he loses to Jake, so he can get a solid win and start getting recognized in the division.

Can't beat Ben Asscan but is given a shot against any UFC fighter. Jay Heroin has no chance in hell.

Lol :rolleyes:

To all the negative people who have posted, lets look at some facts:

1.) Jake Ellenberger was 21-4 when he signed for UFC, he then lost his first fight against Condit. I bet on this very forum people were saying the same **** about him....

2.) Hieron has beaten some good guys in his time, including Pat Healy, Joe Riggs, Rick Hawn and he took Askren to a Split decision...

3.) He beat Jake already

4.) A 23-5 record over a 9 year career is nothing to be sniffed at

Lol :rolleyes:

To all the negative people who have posted' date=' lets look at some facts:

1.) Jake Ellenberger was 21-4 when he signed for UFC, he then lost his first fight against Condit. I bet on this very forum people were saying the same **** about him....

2.) Hieron has beaten some good guys in his time, including Pat Healy, Joe Riggs, Rick Hawn and he took Askren to a Split decision...

3.) He beat Jake already

4.) A 23-5 record over a 9 year career is nothing to be sniffed at[/quote']

Ellenberger wasn't a UFC fighter when they first fought. Plus it was over 6 years ago and Ellenberger has only come into his own in the last couple of years. Heroin is doomed.

You're a *****' date=' you only root him to make Askren look better. [/b']

That being said, I was confident he beat Askren and Hieron is a really solid, seasoned and well rounded guy who trains at the highest of levels with guys like Kampmann, Mike Pyle, Michael Chandler and so on, regularly. Good record, has faced and beaten good guys, he's a bit old now and I don't see him getting past Jake, but a solid addition to an already stacked division, I'd like to see him face a Brenneman or Rick Story if he loses to Jake, so he can get a solid win and start getting recognized in the division.

Ohhh, look, a tough guy calling people *****es on the internet. Shut the **** up! I've been watching him since 2006 back when the IFL just started up with the likes of Chris Horodecki, Bart Palaszewski, Rory Markham, Jim Miller, Ben Rothwell, Delson Helano, Antonio Mckee, Savant Young, Deividas Taurosevicius and Krzysztof Soszynski. Ever since the IFL closed down I've ALWAYS wanted all of those IFL guys to succeed because THEY got me into MMA and I always thought they were the best in the world until they closed down and I had to find a new outlet in the UFC. So get your ****ing facts straight you hector lombard fail hype train riding fool. Jay Hieron is one of THE MOST solid WW's out there that is NOT in the UFC. The UFC should've picked him up again when he was fighting in Strikeforce. You have NO IDEA what your talking about.

p.s. JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN"T KNOW, Hieron and Ellenberger fought in the IFL, dummy.

It was a joke' date=' not trolling. Take it easy.[/quote']

Sorry bro. I guess I am a little gotten too. Personally, I feel MATW is full of crud and every time I see his posts I cringe. He talks a lot about nothing and obviously have no clue what he is talking about and nobody has challenged the BS that he spews out of his mouth. And to watch him reply to me in that matter when he obviously have no idea what he is talking about, nevertheless not even knowing what got me into MMA it just pissed me off.

I apologize... :cool:

Ohhh' date=' look, a tough guy calling people *****es on the internet. Shut the **** up! I've been watching him since 2006 back when the IFL just started up with the likes of Chris Horodecki, Bart Palaszewski, Rory Markham, Jim Miller, Ben Rothwell, Delson Helano, Antonio Mckee, Savant Young, Deividas Taurosevicius and Krzysztof Soszynski. Ever since the IFL closed down I've ALWAYS wanted all of those IFL guys to succeed because THEY got me into MMA and I always thought they were the best in the world until they closed down and I had to find a new outlet in the UFC. So get your ****ing facts straight you hector lombard fail hype train riding fool. Jay Hieron is one of THE MOST solid WW's out there that is NOT in the UFC. The UFC should've picked him up again when he was fighting in Strikeforce. You have NO IDEA what your talking about.

p.s. JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN"T KNOW, Hieron and Ellenberger fought in the IFL, dummy.[/quote']

Oh look a tough guy telling people to shut the **** up on the internet. :rolleyes:

Ellenberger has been fighting the toughest competition in the world' date=' whereas Hieron is [b']losing to fighters like Askren[/b]. I say Ellenberger avenges the UD loss in spectacular fashion.

Who has beaten Askren? :confused:

Sorry bro. I guess I am a little gotten too. Personally' date=' I feel MATW is full of crud and every time I see his posts I cringe. He talks a lot about nothing and obviously have no clue what he is talking about and nobody has challenged the BS that he spews out of his mouth. And to watch him reply to me in that matter when he obviously have no idea what he is talking about, nevertheless not even knowing what got me into MMA it just pissed me off.

I apologize... :cool:[/quote']

hey now, i ALWAYS call MATW out on his ******** :D

This is sad,just a last minute replacement to keep a fight slot alive.I am sure all these low rated fighters and their managers are bugging the UFC steady.We definitely cannot listen to Dana when he says the UFC has the best talent in the world,more like the highest quantity to fill more venues with diluted talent.

I remember Hieron and i remember MANY thought he would give GSP a go/I lol at Rogan's viewpoint,he thought Hieron stuffed what was barely an attempt by GSP on a TD.He got owned in striking and GSP is not a great striker.So Hieron can't strike ,he is not a good grappler,he is not a TOP notch fighter,just a cheap gun for hire.

This is sad' date='just a last minute replacement to keep a fight slot alive.I am sure all these low rated fighters and their managers are bugging the UFC steady.We definitely cannot listen to Dana when he says the UFC has the best talent in the world,[b']more like the highest quantity to fill more venues with diluted talent.[/b]

I remember Hieron and i remember MANY thought he would give GSP a go/I lol at Rogan's viewpoint,he thought Hieron stuffed what was barely an attempt by GSP on a TD.He got owned in striking and GSP is not a great striker.So Hieron can't strike ,he is not a good grappler,he is not a TOP notch fighter,just a cheap gun for hire.

similar to your posting style

Truth is Jay Hieron is a middle-tier fighter at best. The only reason he's been doing better as of late is because he's been fighting lesser competition. His fight game hasn't drastically changed from when he was in the UFC the first time. He's a finisher against lesser competition, but falls well short of being able to handle fighters at this level and as someone mentioned previously has a huge suspect chin. I say his previous fight with Ellenberger means nothing and Ellenberger has a lot to prove. This is really bad timing for Hieron. He'll be a really good gatekeeper though and should go into the gatekeeper HOF someday.

Archived