Ben Askren in the UFC

HappyFeet

How far would he get? Do you think his relentless lay and pray style and his grappling wizardry would bring him far, or do you think he'd flop just like Lombard did?

I personally would like to see him in the UFC. I am an admirer of his style, as he's actually one of the only fighters out there that will not quit trying to take you down at all. His ground game is very elite, and I'd like to see it tested against top fighters.

Erick Silva would flying knee KO him.

The last thing we need is another Jon Fitch around here

I have a feeling he would be more like a Jon Fitch 2.0... He seems better in his wrestling, and his chin holds up a lot better.

And I'm a Fitch fan, I take offense to that. ;)

I have a feeling he would be more like a Jon Fitch 2.0... He seems better in his wrestling' date=' and his chin holds up a lot better.

And I'm a Fitch fan, I take offense to that. ;)[/quote']

I agree, he seems a lot better than Fitch in the Lay n pray tactics...and fitch practically carpeted half the WW division. I cant even imagine what Askren is capable of :eek:

I agree' date=' he seems a lot better than Fitch in the Lay n pray tactics...and fitch practically carpeted half the WW division. I cant even imagine what Askren is capable of :eek:[/quote']

I think Askren vs. Koscheck would be a great entry fight for him. Kos is what I've always believed to be very overrated. People play like his wrestling is better than Fitch's ever was, but he couldn't even convince me he was good enough to beat Mike Pierce. I think the decision went the wrong way in that fight, where Pierce effectively outstruck him, which brings me to another point. They act like Koscheck has great standup and a lot of power, but he got outstruck by a grinder, and hasn't knocked out anyone for a very long time. Only some japanese can that I can recall...

He's a WW right? GSP would KO him' date=' that's how bad his striking is.[/quote']

Askren's chin is really good, he'd probably not get KO'd, but would get beat up pretty badly.

I think Askren vs. Koscheck would be a great entry fight for him. Kos is what I've always believed to be very overrated. People play like his wrestling is better than Fitch's ever was' date=' but he couldn't even convince me he was good enough to beat Mike Pierce. I think the decision went the wrong way in that fight, where Pierce effectively outstruck him, which brings me to another point. They act like Koscheck has great standup and a lot of power, but he got outstruck by a grinder, and hasn't knocked out anyone for a very long time. Only some japanese can that I can recall...

Askren's chin is really good, he'd probably not get KO'd, but would get beat up pretty badly.[/quote']

I honestly believe Askren would not be able to take down Kos thus Koscheck winning via overhand right KO.

Askren vs Shields would be a good fight though. It'll be good to know who has the worst striking in the WW division.

Ben Askren Lay and Prays 99% of the division. He would be champ if Condit wasn't around.

If there was anyone I'd tip against Condit, it would be Askren. Condit is a sick fighter, very capable of beating GSP, but that's a tough fight.

Askren is a different kind of wrestler, he is relentless. He would beat Condit, I think, unless Condit could work a good sweep, which is within reason.

I think the worst matchups for Askren would be guys like GSP, Fitch, Ellenberger, Kos, Hendricks, basically all the well versed grapplers, but guys who aren't quite that echelon of grappler will no doubt lose to Askren... Like Condit, Alves, Kim, Hathaway...

Kampmann is iffy because he's a good grappler as well as a good striker, but I'd have Askren.

Just look at bens record and tell me any of those guys the are legit grapplers compared to ufc top 10

bens competition level is so low

Course not, but I recognize talent when I see it.

The question is, my friend, is his record worthy of being given a chance in the UFC? I think so. I think he's probably the highest level fighter outside of the UFC right now, alongside of Marquardt.... I also am biased towards Pat Curran, wanna see him get a shot in the UFC before he loses out and gets old.

Course not' date=' but I recognize talent when I see it.

The question is, my friend, is his record worthy of being given a chance in the UFC? I think so. I think he's probably the highest level fighter outside of the UFC right now, alongside of Marquardt.... I also am biased towards Pat Curran, wanna see him get a shot in the UFC before he loses out and gets old.[/quote']

Talent is like potential, they can have ton of it but if they cant put everything together then they just crash and burn especially at the top level. Lombard, Akiyama, Gomi all are very talented but they all fell well short in the ufc.

Id say no to ufc. Let him at Tyron Woodley or nate marquardt in strikeforce first.

Talent is like potential' date=' they can have ton of it but if they cant put everything together then they just crash and burn especially at the top level. Lombard, Akiyama, Gomi all are very talented but they all fell well short in the ufc.

Id say no to ufc. Let him at [b']Tyron Woodley[/b] or nate marquardt in strikeforce first.

Now if you wanted a good snoozefest, that would be the one. Ben Askren vs. Tyron Woodley

IMO, Askren would be in the top 10, but he would never crack the top 5. It's hard to tell for sure until we see him lose. The likes of Kos or Rory would have a hard time because Askren is a higher level wrestler than they are (meaning, Olympic medalist trumps the others' credentials).

IMO' date=' Askren would be in the top 10, but he would never crack the top 5. It's hard to tell for sure until we see him lose. The likes of Kos or Rory would have a hard time because Askren is a higher level wrestler than they are (meaning, Olympic medalist trumps the others' credentials).[/quote']

Furthest thing from the truth

olympic medalist does not equal great mma wrestler. Skills do not directly transfer over. Look at matt lindland, silver medalist and his wrestling was nothing. Lombard is an olympic level judoka and couldnt use it against boetsch. I have examples for days disproving this myth

Furthest thing from the truth

olympic medalist does not equal great mma wrestler. Skills do not directly transfer over. Look at matt lindland' date=' silver medalist and his wrestling was nothing. Lombard is an olympic level judoka and couldnt use it against boetsch. I have examples for days disproving this myth[/quote']

I was referring to fights where both fighters try to wrestle.

Cormier, another Oly, has had great success in Strikeforce. Barnett, a consummate MMA wrestler didn't have a chance against an Olympic wrestler.

I'd say Rory would be at a disadvantage wrestling. So would Kos, if he decided to wrestle.

Linland did great, what are you talking about? He worked up to a title shot, then lost only one other fight where he KO'd himself doing a wrestling move. He trained the likes of BJ Penn.

Lombard fought with a fractured sternum, and I still had him winning.

I was referring to fights where both fighters try to wrestle.

Cormier' date=' another Oly, has had great success in Strikeforce. Barnett, a consummate MMA wrestler didn't have a chance against an Olympic wrestler.

I'd say Rory would be at a disadvantage wrestling. So would Kos, if he decided to wrestle.

Linland did great, what are you talking about? He worked up to a title shot, then lost only one other fight where he KO'd himself doing a wrestling move. He trained the likes of BJ Penn.

Lombard fought with a fractured sternum, and I still had him winning.[/quote']

Omg Im just going to say you need some more researching to see the blatant obvious difference between cormier and askren.

Ps lindland does suck and lombard is just making excuses

Cormier's skills lie in 3 things honestly.

1. His leverage it's hard to deal with a guy who's 5'11 and 245lbs.

2. He's very athletic, in a division full of oafs.

3. He has solid striking and to impose that he has to close distance, so it syncs will with his takedowns.

Oh and yeah, Edgar, Jones, Cruz and GSP easily the 4 best wrestlers in MMA have no real pedigree's or backrounds, plenty of Olympians and World Champion wrestlers who are pretty meh even at their specialty. This kind of applies to boxers kickboxers thai boxers and grapplers too but kids listen to Joe Rogan and if he says something it must be right ya'know?

Dag it' date=' I'm still waiting for Eddie A to come over first, when is that happening, hasn't he been to the last couple ufc events..??[/quote']

Fan of eddie but dam does he take abuse in his fights lol

2. He's very athletic' date=' in a division full of oafs.

3. He has solid striking and to impose that he has to close distance, so it syncs will with his takedowns.

Oh and yeah, Edgar, Jones, Cruz and GSP easily the 4 best wrestlers in MMA have no real pedigree's or backrounds, plenty of Olympians and World Champion wrestlers who are pretty meh even at their specialty. This kind of applies to boxers kickboxers thai boxers and grapplers too but kids listen to Joe Rogan and if he says something it must be right ya'know?[/quote']

And Cormier is fighting higher competition level then Ben and hes stopping them a lot more then ben

but you definitely get the point

Oh and yeah, Edgar, Jones, Cruz and GSP easily the 4 best wrestlers in MMA have no real pedigree's or backrounds, plenty of Olympians and World Champion wrestlers who are pretty meh even at their specialty. This kind of applies to boxers kickboxers thai boxers and grapplers too but kids listen to Joe Rogan and if he says something it must be right ya'know?[/quote']

1. Since when is being short and fat an advantage?

2. I hardly characterize that division that way (Fedor, Werdum, Overeem oafs? - they were still there when he joined).

From your list, I agree with GSP and Jones (who has wrestling in his background), but I'd hardly say the rest are "the best wrestlers in MMA", not even by the longest shot imaginable.

[b']Oh and yeah, Edgar, Jones, Cruz and GSP easily the 4 best wrestlers in MMA have no real pedigree's or backrounds[/b], plenty of Olympians and World Champion wrestlers who are pretty meh even at their specialty. This kind of applies to boxers kickboxers thai boxers and grapplers too but kids listen to Joe Rogan and if he says something it must be right ya'know?

LOL where did you hear this?

Edgar wrestled since he was a kid and was a college wrestler

Jones was a state champion in High School and JUCO national champ.

Cruz started wrestling at the age of 12, wrestled through out high school and on a freestyle circuit during the summers. He would have wrestled in college if he didn't get injured.

GSP is just a freak athlete and picked it up very quickly but he has been training for over 10 years.

EDIT: From the age of 6 to highschool is where you learn to wrestle. You will learn every move needed and only the basics are used in MMA. The more athletic and dedicated wrestlers are the ones that move on to college and fine tune their skills while adding more experience.

How far would he get? Do you think his relentless lay and pray style and his grappling wizardry would bring him far' date=' or do you think he'd flop just like Lombard did?

I personally would like to see him in the UFC. I am an admirer of his style, as he's actually one of the only fighters out there that will not quit trying to take you down at all. His ground game is very elite, and I'd like to see it tested against top fighters.[/quote']

I personally would not like to watch him in the UFC...have seen all his fights in Bellator, and GOD they are brutal!!!! This guy bores me to no end---great wrestler, but does not excite me at all! I watch cause I watch all MMA---cause MMA is great overall!...but he bores me like Lentz does.

Archived