Non-troll, but silly question regarding a Jon Jones fight.

RogerJones620

Removed the .GIF, but here is a link to the spinning back "elbow" to the back of his opponent's head:

If a Referee had disqualified Jon Jones for hitting someone in the back of the head, would it have stood with the Athletic Commission?

When I was a teenager I threw a round house kick that landed on my opponent's back even though we were standing face to face and they threw me out, so I'm genuinely curious. (This was Olympic style Taekwondo, and yes it was stupid -- but I was like 15 and thought I was Bruce Lee.)

No' date=' he didn't finish Bonnar. But it was a substantial enough strike to knock him down, which isn't that easy to do. I'm not saying it would have changed the outcome of the fight, just it should've been treated like a low blow and time be called.[/quote']

Maybe since it hadn't been done before, no one knew how to react to it, so nothing was done....

?

Maybe since it hadn't been done before' date=' no one knew how to react to it, so nothing was done....

?[/quote']

True. Jones has very unorthodox striking so it would be tough to make that call in real time. I do think there is a definite problem concerning strikes to the back of the head though. Vitor/Akiyama is one of the most blatant examples in recent memory along with this one. The commissions need to push for more low-blow type stoppages in these situations, not disqualifications a la E. Silva.

I don't think Jones meant to hit Bonnar in the back of the head, the Hammill fight was a rookie mistake in my opinion also.

Now the Brazilians are known for massacring the back of peoples heads, Vitor, Erich, and Werdum have all done it to the point where the fight was finished.

I don't think Jones meant to hit Bonnar in the back of the head' date=' the Hammill fight was a rookie mistake in my opinion also.

Now the Brazilians are known for massacring the back of peoples heads, Vitor, Erich, and Werdum have all done it to the point where the fight was finished.[/quote']

As I said, there's a definite problem. I don't think you can pin it on one nationality of fighter though. If Brazilians target the back of the head then Americans abuse TRT.

Removed the .GIF' date=' but here is a link to the spinning back "elbow" to the back of his opponent's head:

If a Referee had disqualified Jon Jones for hitting someone in the back of the head, would it have stood with the Athletic Commission?

When I was a teenager I threw a round house kick that landed on my opponent's back even though we were standing face to face and they threw me out, so I'm genuinely curious. (This was Olympic style Taekwondo, and yes it was stupid -- but I was like 15 and thought I was Bruce Lee.)[/quote']

You are trolling, to really see what happens watch around 1:35, bonner moved his head in the way like that, bones wasn't throwing for the back of the head. The link conveniently starts the video where it makes it look like jones is just throwing an elbow at the back of his head.

I see lots of fights with strikes to back of head without even a warning.The ref should automatically stop the fight which they almost never do.I believe Eric Silva was the last to lose because of it,but the total amount in all of the UFC can be counted on one hand.Jones versus Hamill is another for illegal strikes.

This sport right now is so badly reffed,you are better off doing something illegal because it will only be a warning and give you a huge advantage.

I remember when Penn poked GSP in the eye,he had no sportsmanship at all,he didn't stop,he kept trying to hit GSP and take advantage of the foul,all because the crap ref missed it.

Usually when a fighter goes down we see a flurry of donkey kong hits ,but almost always a few hit the back of the head,instead the ref stops the fight and calls a tko.

A good thing is the sport doesn't use 65-70 year old refs like baseball has for umpires.

I think a warning and reset in most cases is appropiate.

I mean if someone turns and the trajectory is off a little because of that it's not completely the fighter's fault.

It could get pretty silly real quick if people started winning by DQ just because fighters started turning thier head to make an otherwise legit shot into an illegal one.

Sports science is' date=' always has been and always will be full of ****. I bet that the next studies they do, it will be some random **** to do with Dominick Cruz and how he can hit harder than an atom bomb.[/quote']

you made me lol and probably piss off my g/f who is trying to sleep. well done:D

True. Jones has very unorthodox striking so it would be tough to make that call in real time. I do think there is a definite problem concerning strikes to the back of the head though. Vitor/Akiyama is one of the most blatant examples in recent memory along with this one. The commissions need to push for more low-blow type stoppages in these situations' date=' not disqualifications a la E. Silva.[/quote']

I think it states in Vitor's contract that he MUST hit the back of the head a certain amount of times or he gets fined. It's just who he is.

Archived