How important is a fighter's size in order to being a dominant fighter?

RogerJones620

Long before Jon Jones ever came into the picture I can recall everyone saying that GSP, Anderson Silva, and Brock Lesnar (then a champion) were only good because of their size.

I know that some of you MMA veteran fans can probably recall hearing these arguments frequently, ("GSP is 195 lbs at fight time," "Anderson is a Light Heavy weight" etc, and no one ever denied that most of Brock's prowess came from his size and associated strength).

I've also heard a lot of people say Jose Aldo belongs at Lightweight, and have heard his own manager talk about the fighter moving up at some point, or having a super fight with the lightweight champion.

Now a days all of the hatred seems to be focused towards Jon Jones and his alleged size advantage.

All of this aside, is a fighter's size one of the more important factors in determining whether or not he will be able to dominate his current division?

Long before Jon Jones ever came into the picture I can recall everyone saying that GSP' date=' Anderson Silva, and Brock Lesnar (then a champion) were only good because of their size.

I know that some of you MMA veteran fans can probably recall hearing these arguments frequently, (GSP fights at 195, Anderson is a Light Heavy weight etc, and no one ever denied that most of Brock's prowess came from his size and associated strength).

I've also heard a lot of people say Jose Aldo belongs at Lightweight, and have heard his own manager talk about the fighter moving up at some point.

Now a days all of the hatred seems to be focused towards Jon Jones and his alleged size advantage.

All of this aside, is your size one of the more important factors in determining whether or not you will be able to dominate your current division?[/quote']

also skill.

but enormous physical advantages + skill can = dominance

dominance more easily achieved than if a fighter didnt have a 10in reach advantage for example

Less important than it is if you're an adult fim actor.;)

Seriously though' date=' it helps a lot. Skill can overcome size though. Look at Cain/Lesnar, JDS/Carwin, Pettis/Henderson, Edgar/Maynard, and Edgar/Penn. Speed and technique can beat size if used properly.[/quote']

This.....thread over.

Seriously though' date=' it helps a lot. Skill can overcome size though. Look at Cain/Lesnar, JDS/Carwin, Pettis/Henderson, Edgar/Maynard, and Edgar/Penn. Speed and technique can beat size if used properly.[/quote']

Exactly.

Its not how big you are but rather how well you use it

I still think the whole size argument is a ridiculous one... Excluding the heavyweights (as they have such a wide weight range) it's pretty much solely determined on how much time and effort the fighter is willing to put into his weight cut.

If someone like Jon Jones is willing and able to cut 20-30 pounds in the lead-up to a fight yet his opponent only cuts 5-10 pounds to make the same weight class it doesn't mean JBJ is a cheating scumbag who should be forced to move up a division. It means his opponent is either too lazy, not knowledgeable enough to make the cut, or simply he prefers not to fight in a lighter decision.

Everyone has the same opportunities in this sport.. If one guy cuts from 230 to make 205 yet his opponent only cuts from 215 to 205 (instead of to 185) that's his decision and he shouldn't whinge when he gets manhandled by a bigger, stronger opponent.

Take a look at 95% of the UFC fighters,they obviously put a HUGE value on lifting weights and cutting weight,If they didn't think it was a factor they wouldn't do it,neither has anything to do with fight SKILLS.

Many of these fighters tried to actually fight at their claimed size they would get destroyed.

Just look at 150,there is a guy ,i think his name s Jerrod Hammon or something like that.I was like wtf he is 185?He would get destroyed by the entire 170 roster.

Damian Maia a world known BJJ champion,what has he done now,drop two divisions yet?

Erik Silva a near unknown,very average fighter at 185,drops to 170 and becomes a legitimate threat.

Matt Hughes was picking guys up and tossing them around,basically showboating.Soon GSP caught wind of that game,he went on a mission to equal him in size.GSP then became dominant over Hughes and the sole reason Hughes has lost his confidence and been wiped from any p4p talk.

People were already talking nonsense with Brock Lesnar,like nobody would ever beat him because of his size.The first guy to match him,actually Reem is not a 300 cutting to 265 but Reem is a large powerful frame,he made Brock look silly.

Long before Jon Jones ever came into the picture I can recall everyone saying that GSP' date=' Anderson Silva, and Brock Lesnar (then a champion) were only good because of their size.

I know that some of you MMA veteran fans can probably recall hearing these arguments frequently, ("[i']GSP is 195 lbs at fight time," "Anderson is a Light Heavy weight[/i]" etc, and no one ever denied that most of Brock's prowess came from his size and associated strength).

I've also heard a lot of people say Jose Aldo belongs at Lightweight, and have heard his own manager talk about the fighter moving up at some point, or having a super fight with the lightweight champion.

All of this aside, is a fighter's size one of the more important factors in determining whether or not he will be able to dominate his current division?

All depends on the weight cut.

If your anthony johnson ... your in bad shape for the argument,

however, Heavyweights like jones come around that have a better chance of making MW

again .. silly argument .. all depends on the fighters body, age, diet, mindset,

ugh, to many variables.

Im not sure if its size so much. Because if you removed weight classes, you would have the same guys fighting each other. Condit vs Diaz at 185. Silva vs Sonnen 205 etc.

Aldo is pretty big for his division.

Bendo is pretty big for his division...before that was edgar, small

Cruz is above average

GSP is average maybe above average.

Silva is average

Jones is biggest...before that Shogun/Machida not that big, probably average.

JDS, Average

I think whats more important is your ability to cut the weight. You need to do it smart. Clearly being bigger is an advantage, but not if you are unskilled at cutting weight. Now you have two guys who would fight at 185 naturally, but they both cut to 170, meet up. Same size guys. But then one cut goes awful, the other has it down to a science, now theres your advantage.

Look at Aldo bad cut=Homminick

Loot at Aldo good cut=Mendes

GSP, Silva, Jones, Bendo are all MASTERS at cutting weight. So its not their size so much as making the cut effect them as little as possible.

my personal experience has been that size and the strength that comes with it really only comes into play when skill is equal. I have done well against bigger guys that maybe were not as good skill wise, but when i was about equal in skill with someone it was much tougher to overcome the size difference.

Exactly.

Its not how big you are but rather how well you use it

Depends on what you can do with it. You gotta have skills and and other physical attributes to make that size effective.

It's all how well they use their size' date=' which is a skill in itself. Struve still can't use his reach, didn't Pat Barry head kick him?[/quote']

all of these.

Take Stephan Struve and Jon Jones for example. Stephan is the tallest fighter in the UFC, huge reach, but he doesn't utilize it in some fights and he's gotten ktfo twice. (Though he uses his long legs well). Jon Jones is huge, huge reach advantage, but its his skill and technique that makes him look unbeatable and tough to figure out. He uses his reach to his advantage and dominates his opponents. Struve has done this too with Lavar Johnson and Pat Barry, but he got superman punched ktfo and ktfo by a shorter and fatter Roy Nelson.

I'm sorry was I summoned? Lol

But yes size does matter but its not the "end all be all"

Much like films in mma if "your physically gifted in size but blow your load in the first 5 mins no one will wanna work with you"

Look at Phil Barone or shane carwin

*no insult to phil or shane

Wtf is Lesnar without size,Overeem,Jones so it is BIG FACTOR!!!

I still think the whole size argument is a ridiculous one... Excluding the heavyweights (as they have such a wide weight range) it's pretty much solely determined on how much time and effort the fighter is willing to put into his weight cut.

If someone like Jon Jones is willing and able to cut 20-30 pounds in the lead-up to a fight yet his opponent only cuts 5-10 pounds to make the same weight class it doesn't mean JBJ is a cheating scumbag who should be forced to move up a division. It means his opponent is either too lazy' date=' not knowledgeable enough to make the cut, or simply he prefers not to fight in a lighter decision.

Everyone has the same opportunities in this sport.. If one guy cuts from 230 to make 205 yet his opponent only cuts from 215 to 205 (instead of to 185) that's his decision and he shouldn't whinge when he gets manhandled by a bigger, stronger opponent.[/quote']

1.You think that some cant cut more?(Rumble)

2.I can drop 5 divisions I will not have reach advantage like Jones

3.What if you were in betwen (Cain) you are smaller and if cut down you lose power so you suck again!

4.Why to hell weight is only factor why to not take weight,height,reach and frame?

Btw I told this so many times and no1 had answer so guess I am right!

Wtf is Lesnar without size' date='Overeem,Jones so it is BIG FACTOR!!!

3.What if you were in betwen (Cain) you are smaller and if cut down you lose power so you suck again!

4.Why to hell weight is only factor why to not take weight,height,reach and frame?

[b']Btw I told this so many times and no1 had answer so guess I am right[/b]!

Maybe no one can tell what you're babbling on about. My 5 year old nephew could type something more coherent.

Wtf is Lesnar without size' date='Overeem,Jones so it is BIG FACTOR!!!

Btw I told this so many times and no1 had answer so guess I am right![/quote']

Many factors in sports combat but the truth is that if you don't take advantage of brief, short window of relfexes,speed, and stamina, all products of youth, then you have less chance of being dominant and even less of becoming champ.

Take Edgar vs Maynard, Edgar's speed like Pacquiao helped him defeat Maynard.

Machida's speed and quick counter striking helped him beat Bader (take note Cung Le for your fight against Rich Franklin). Reach is just a bonus added to speed. Recall Mayweather-which is why he always wins, speed kills as the saying goes.

I wouldn't say size exactly, but if you look at it the ideal physique seems to be tall, but strong. If you have that you are at a tremendous advantage. Having that wiry strength has done wonders for guys like Bendo, GSP, Anderson, JJ. You don't gas because youre not carrying around too much muscles, you have reach, you can cover more distance, you have leverage, and if you are strong than youre not in too much trouble when guys get on the inside. If you are just tall, but dont have that strength than you are essentially Struve.

Many factors in sports combat but the truth is that if you don't take advantage of brief' date=' short window of relfexes,speed, and stamina, all products of youth, then you have less chance of being dominant and even less of becoming champ.

Take Edgar vs Maynard, Edgar's speed like Pacquiao helped him defeat Maynard.

Machida's speed and quick counter striking helped him beat Bader (take note Cung Le for your fight against Rich Franklin). Reach is just a bonus added to speed. Recall Mayweather-which is why he always wins, speed kills as the saying goes.[/quote']

So you try to say each body type has a advantage?

Like smaller guys are faster and have better cardio.

So whats advantage against Lesnar being normal (like Couture,Mir,Cain,Nog)(I guess you will say that Lesnar has bad cardio? I will answer when did you saw him tired?)

So you try to say each body type has a advantage?

Like smaller guys are faster and have better cardio.

So whats advantage against Lesnar being normal (like Couture' date='Mir,Cain,Nog)(I guess you will say that Lesnar has bad cardio? I will answer when did you saw him tired?)[/quote']

Wrong, not cardio. Speed kills the power of Brock like when Cain beat Brock with speed and endurance.

Archived