1 death in mma!!!!!!

PRIDEFCMAN

I found on the net that amateur fighter Michael Kirkham died of a brain hemorrhage following a knockout loss at a 2010 event in Aiken. It was his second KO loss in 32 days.

So it happens in amateur!!! Commission in pro mma would give him 90day suspension!

Careful...there's differences between amateur and low-level pro.

Amateur is basically any random club, bar, etc..that would set up a cash winning event for any walk-in. Like the kind of fights the character Brenden Conlan was entering in the movie "Warrior"

Even for all kinds of small regional events fighters need to be licensed and cleared by a SAC to fight. The fights might be listed as "amateur" on Sherdog or whatever, but those guys do have to be checked and cleared.

I found on the net that amateur fighter Michael Kirkham died of a brain hemorrhage following a knockout loss at a 2010 event in Aiken. It was his second KO loss in 32 days.

So it happens in amateur!!! Commission in pro mma would give him 90day suspension!

There is no way he should have been in that fight. Someone needs to find out how he got in there and rectify the situation so it doesn't happen again

IMO, this sounds like sudden death syndrome, probably due to a cardiomyopathic condition, as opposed to an actual death caused by a violent act in the ring causing extensive brain damage.

Such a thing isn't new, and it's not rare, happens a lot in gyms, on a soccer field etc.

Hopefully the results of the autopsy will be made as public as this announcement, but when they find out its from an undiagnosed heart condition and doesn't make a juicy headline, I doubt it will.

Archived