Have you ever 'won' an internet argument ever?

I_told_you_so

We all know the saying, but have you ever outright won an argument or debate or have you just repeated the same nonsense over and over and declared yourself a winner. How do you know if you have won an argument? The other person fails to respond? Or they call you names? And finally, how does it feel when you realise you won? Do you get a nice warm glow for the rest of the day?

In part' date=' they did inspire me a bit yeah. Been in a few myself over the years, only recently have I really discovered they are pointless.[/quote']

I always knew they were pointless, I've gotten sucked into a few anyway. I've been deliberately staying out of a few threads lately, too many closed minds...

In part' date=' they did inspire me a bit yeah. Been in a few myself over the years, only recently have I really discovered they are pointless.[/quote']

If things look like they will get pointless I ask them to send me a PM. 1 occasion a person took me up on the offer and me and the other person had a pleasant conversation

If by win you mean finally annoy people enough to get them to stop posting about it anymore, then yes, I have won a few. If by win you mean actually opened someones eyes to anything they otherwise never thought of? No, people like to ignore the smell of their own ****. Me included :P

There is no such thing as "winning" an argument - either online or in person. If you feel you have "won", all that means is either the other person was unable to respond in an effective manner, or (and this is usually what people gauge by online) more people cheered for one side than another. However, neither result actually means one person made a more compelling or logical argument, or even made a difference in some way. And I make no claims to presume I have never been involved in this behavior.

The only times anyone has successfully advanced their position (meaning actually changed someones mind or affected their POV) that I have ever witnessed is when both sides are being both honest and fair to eachother and not giving consideration to who is right but rather making a sincere effort to resolve a point.

I came to be a libertarian mostly as a result of a liberal helping me to understand the validity of legalizing drugs. I came to reject class warfare & govt dependence after various life experiences resulting in me having to earn my way through life, and seeing others game the system that they claimed they were being oppressed by.

Most of what the OP is refering to when he had myself & kevbo (though many others equally apply) is a very subtle version of trolling/sarcasm. None of us actually believe our arguments are ever gonna be met with open minds, we just chime in the way we do as pseudo peer accountability.

As a rule, there are never "winners"

Normally, I won't go into arguments that seem pointless (Vast majority), as I don't see any chance I'll change anyone's opinion. Unless it's light and friendly.

Sometimes, and admittedly, when the topic is close to my heart, I might join in. Mostly to make my contribution to a debate.

Rarely (read Kevbo :P) I find myself fighting windmills :) I try to keep this rare anyway.

There is no such thing as "winning" an argument - either online or in person. If you feel you have "won"' date=' all that means is either the other person was unable to respond in an effective manner, or (and this is usually what people gauge by online) more people cheered for one side than another. However, neither result actually means one person made a more compelling or logical argument, or even made a difference in some way. And I make no claims to presume I have never been involved in this behavior.

The only times anyone has successfully advanced their position (meaning actually changed someones mind or affected their POV) that I have ever witnessed is when both sides are being both honest and fair to eachother and not giving consideration to who is right but rather making a sincere effort to resolve a point.

I came to be a libertarian mostly as a result of a liberal helping me to understand the validity of legalizing drugs. I came to reject class warfare & govt dependence after various life experiences resulting in me having to earn my way through life, and seeing others game the system that they claimed they were being oppressed by.

Most of what the OP is refering to when he had myself & kevbo (though many others equally apply) is a very subtle version of trolling/sarcasm. None of us actually believe our arguments are ever gonna be met with open minds, we just chime in the way we do as pseudo peer accountability.[/quote']

racist

When Diaz was taken out of the fight with GSP for not showing up for a press conference' date=' I argued with the whole forum that he deserved to be put back into the main event. I not only won the argument, but Dana White also backed down and put Diaz back in the main event, based on my argument.[/quote']

I get credit for that one too because i argued it as well. I was also extremely vocal and argued for Torres after the rape van incedent for how ironic and rediculous it was.

Archived