Donald Cerrone vs Anthony Pettis: Edition one, better High Kick?

Me_Against_The_World

Who has the better high kick Donald Cerrone or Anthony Pettis?

Donald-Cerrone-lands-head-kick-on-Melvin-Guillard-Zuffa-e1344777447157.png

vs

030_Anthony_Pettis_vs_Joe_Lauzon_gallery_post_large.jpg

No before you jump the gun and think Pettis is the obvious choice, since Cerrone being in the UFC he has finished Dennis Siver and Melvin Guillard with headkicks and he dropped Nate Diaz with a head kick.

Pettis's highlight kicks are against Lauzon, Castillo and Ben, while more flashy and all, I have to say Cerrone is landing them on much better strikers.

Essentially you're comparing TKD to Kickboxing. Pettis is a 3rd degree black belt in TKD so obviously more technical with his striking, whereas Cerrone is a proven warrior in kickboxing with a 28-0-1 record.

Experience wins every time - and MT has more power. Pettis would be more accurate with his striking - Esp kicks with his background, but Cerrone is a tougher fighter with his.

Headkick to Headkick? Pettis wins with accuracy advantage, but it's EXTREMELY close - Cerrone has more experience and I believe today is the tougher fighter.

Cerrone 10-9

I didn't find Cerrone's headkick against Guillard all that great. Sure it was good and stunned Guillard but it didn't look like it landed flush. Like when Cerrone kicked his head it seemed like his head bounced up rather than following through with devastating power. Both are good

P.S

try and be a little broader with comparison - their high kicks in a comparitive sense have very little to do with their UFC results... just sayin! good idea for thread though

I was just asking who the fans thought had the most effective high kick, I don't feel I need to be any broader, everyone can take different approaches in coming up with their answers it's not my job to do that for them.

I'm aware Pettis has a backround in Tae Kwon Do, but I knocked out a 4th degree tae kwon do black belt when I was 16 in a mixed martial arts fight....I trained at a Tae Kwon Do Academy for a while, Pettis definitely shows that he trains heavily in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and he lets his Tae Kwon Do backround blend in along with his athleticism and dynamic style to blend his striking, he also focuses a lot on applying it to mixed martial arts where as a guy like Duane Ludwig will forever be a crappy striker because his thai and kickboxing skills aren't applicable to mixed martial arts, just a like a lot of top boxers and K-1 guys good examples would be Andy Souwer and Joe Calzaghe.

Cerrone hasn't evolved too much from his Muay Thai base, he still stands erect and uses limited movement, but the rest of his game is so well rounded and he's so ridiculously tough and well conditioned he gets away with it. I'm also pretty surprised with his front leg high kick, it's been surprisingly fast, it's been landing and it's been hurting guys. Cerrone is getting better, no doubt.

Don't know if this will be a good response to you, we always butt heads.

I was just asking who the fans thought had the most effective high kick' date=' I don't feel I need to be any broader, everyone can take different approaches in coming up with their answers it's not my job to do that for them.

I'm aware Pettis has a backround in Tae Kwon Do, but I knocked out a 4th degree tae kwon do black belt when I was 16 in a mixed martial arts fight....I trained at a Tae Kwon Do Academy for a while, Pettis definitely shows that he trains heavily in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai and he lets his Tae Kwon Do backround blend in along with his athleticism and dynamic style to blend his striking, he also focuses a lot on applying it to mixed martial arts where as a guy like Duane Ludwig will forever be a crappy striker because his thai and kickboxing skills aren't applicable to mixed martial arts, just a like a lot of top boxers and K-1 guys good examples would be Andy Souwer and Joe Calzaghe.

Cerrone hasn't evolved too much from his Muay Thai base, he still stands erect and uses limited movement, but the rest of his game is so well rounded and he's so ridiculously tough and well conditioned he gets away with it. I'm also pretty surprised with his front leg high kick, it's been surprisingly fast, it's been landing and it's been hurting guys. Cerrone is getting better, no doubt.

Don't know if this will be a good response to you, we always butt heads.[/quote']

haha nah man all valid :D this should've Been The original post - hard to avoid the TL/DR though..

oh and in regards to your 'I knocked out Joe Rogan when I was 16' comment... pics or it didn't happen! ;)

^

Pettis will show Cowboy why he was the champ and Cerrone wasn't.

Showtime trains with one of the best striking coaches in MMA not to mention he's been doing Muay Thai for years; blending it into his TKD background bringing one of the most deadly arsenal's standing up. Cowboy don't really have head movement, but he has a long reach so with his chin straight up like that; nobody has never really been able to counter it except for Diaz who has about an equal reach if not more. Cerrone keeping his head up like that is basically asking to get KTFO with a perfect headkick..And Pettis can for sure land that headkick...Power, technique, overall all goes to Pettis. Cerrone kicks good no doubt, but Pettis is on another level.

Archived