Sign in to follow this  
ipso_facto

Would Roger Federer refuse a match if given a different opponent at the last minute?

Not a chance! He'd take whoever was handed to him, regardless of who they are or what style they play, and do his best to smoke em!

MMA is no different than any other non-team professional sport in the world. In many cases, participants would be disqualified from the event for refusing to compete like Jones did.

I'm not defending Jones.

But fighting isn't a game like tennis. Federer would play because he knows only 3 people can beat him (sometimes).

Jones and Greg had some doubt so they ducked. If they knew he could win he'd still be fighting.

Jones would probably back down from fighting Federer lol

He's such a high maintenance fighter' date=' I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not defending Jones.

But fighting isn't a game like tennis. Federer would play because he knows only 3 people can beat him (sometimes).

Jones and Greg had some doubt so they ducked. If they knew he could win he'd still be fighting.

Regardless of the sport, you are still pitting one athletes skills against another. And in many situations, teams and/or athletes are not given much time to prepare for their next opponent. There is no difference. Jones was in shape, and had an entire week to reassess his strategy for Sonnen.

He's such a high maintenance fighter' date=' I wouldn't doubt it.

Regardless of the sport, you are still pitting one athletes skills against another. And in many situations, teams and/or athletes are not given much time to prepare for their next opponent. There is no difference. Jones was in shape, and had an entire week to reassess his strategy for Sonnen.[/quote']

Those athlete don't get punched in the face. We can't make anybody fight, that's the law.

But that's what makes it worse. Jones just chickened.

Those athlete don't get punched in the face. We can't make anybody fight' date=' that's the law.

But that's what makes it worse. Jones just chickened.[/quote']

Then he should have taken up tennis.

Hockey's a physical sport. Would have Mark Messier refused to play if he found out that the other teams roster was changed at the last minute to include a bunch of goons. In a word, no.

Just repeating myself, but doesn't matter if it's tennis, mma, or tiddly winks...you're still pitting your skills against your opponents. Everyone plays (or fights) different from one another.

Then he should have taken up tennis.

Hockey's a physical sport. Would Mark Messier refuse to play if he found out that the other teams roster was changed at the last minute to include a bunch of goons. In a word' date=' no.[/quote']

Hockey is a man's sport.

To quote Chael. 'Jones is a boy, I'd pick the man over the boy any day'.

Hockey is a man's sport.

To quote Chael. 'Jones is a boy' date=' I'd pick the man over the boy any day'.[/quote']

You hit the nail right on the head. He is a boy trapped in a man's body. Nevertheless, I think there should be ramifications for his decision. They should at least be sitting him for a while, but the UFC desperately needs title fights with their recent expansion and weak fight cards. So their hands are tied.