Sign in to follow this  
Brady969

My mind may be changing. Why didn't Zuffa have a back up plan?

I'm not saying Jones didn't do anything wrong BUT

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why there was never a back up plan for Jones and Henderson!?!?

Zuffa is a multi-million dollar company with many businesses tied to it. Why would they screw the fans, those businesses and the fighters by not acting like pro's and having a back up plan? They've been in the fight game 20 years and they know fighters get hurt.

How hard is it to have 2 back up fighters for a main event?

Add to the lack of heart Jones is showing....lack of common sense Zuffa is showing.

Jon Jones said he would never turn down a fight' date=' ever.

He lied.

He's a *****.[/quote']

I agree BUT you don't put a multi million dollar company in the hands of a fighter. You assume they're all liars or you're going to get burned. Shame on Zuffa for bending over.

i agree there should have been a stronger card to support...im not saying thats not true....but if an employer goes to its employee and asks them to save a project by DOING THERE JOB...and they dont? hes selfish, a brat, and a *****.....QUACK

Jones dropped the ball and acted like a yes man coward obeying his daddy Greg.

If you are a fighter and champion at that and if you're healthy you should be willing to take on all comers especially after a full training camp.

Dana and UFC dropped the card just to spite Jones and make a bad situation even worse concerning PR.

there was a back up plan, machida, silva offered to take the fight, sonnen did. there were several available plans, but jones is a poosay

I definitely put a lot of blame on UFC for the cancellation of the event. Bones didn't make the card nor was he the one who gave the order to cancel it. UFC should have been more prepared.

The reason I lost all respect for Bones is quite simply that he didn't take the fight...a fight against a 185 lber who hasn't trained a day for it, while Bones himself has been training for 3 months. If you can't beat Chael under those circumstances then you don't deserve to be champion. He was scared, he ducked and thus I have no respect for him.

All of that said, the fact that Bones KNEW the event was going under if he didn't fight and STILL refused to fight Chael makes it an even lamer thing for him to do. No, it's not his fault that UFC was in that bind. But he should have taken the fight regardless, and when he knew what the ultimate consequences were, it's utterly ridiculous that he still refused.

The fact that Anderson Silva stood up and offered to fight a RANDOM opponent at 205 lbs with less than 8 days notice and not having trained at all, in order to save the PPV shows how pathetic Bones really is. And this is coming from someone who has never particularly liked Silva and who was neutral on Bones before yesterday.

Jones dropped the ball and acted like a yes man coward obeying his daddy Greg.

If you are a fighter and champion at that and if you're healthy you should be willing to take on all comers especially after a full training camp.

Dana and UFC dropped the card just to spite Jones and make a bad situation even worse concerning PR.

I agree. Zuffa looks like a company run by babies.

there was a back up plan' date=' machida, silva offered to take the fight, sonnen did. there were several available plans, but jones is a poosay[/quote']

There wasn't a plan or the event would be happening. There's plenty of fighters ready to fight Jones. Zuffa cancelled the event not Jones.

Zuffa doesn't have a backup plan because Zuffa is putting on way too many shows therefore not having any backup fighters left. Their greed is ruining their company.

There wasn't a plan or the event would be happening. There's plenty of fighters ready to fight Jones. Zuffa cancelled the event not Jones.

Jon Jones is a *****.

Zuffa doesn't have a backup plan because Zuffa is putting on way too many shows therefore not having any backup fighters left. Their greed is ruining their company.

Hmmmm, you may be right.

becouse of jones, they had to cncl the the event....yes

The UFC failed as a whole here. Silva for putting such a weak card together, Dana for not having a back up plan, Jones for being a coward and disgrace to the sport, God for allowing Greg Jackson into the world, and Terry Sokujou for injuring Hendo.

Why is this same point being raised over and over? They DID put together a back up plan...and Jones refused it. If I was Dana White, without hesitation, I'd strip Jones of the belt and sit him for a year.

In the words of Mr. Spock, "the needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few (or the one).

officially yes zuffa did, but because jones refused to fight they had no choice, so it is jones' fault

The UFC failed as a whole here. Silva for putting such a weak card together' date=' Dana for not having a back up plan, Jones for being a coward and disgrace to the sport, God for allowing Greg Jackson into the world, and Terry Sokujou for injuring Hendo.[/quote']

*BINGO*

You win

/thread

I think if Koscheck didn't also get injured, him and Ellenberger may have been moved to main event. Maybe not the best main but I've honestly seen worse. But Ellenberger and Heroin can't hold it down.

I think if Koscheck didn't also get injured' date=' him and Ellenberger may have been moved to main event. Maybe not the best main but I've honestly seen worse. But Ellenberger and Heroin can't hold it down.[/quote']

Koz is still with the UFC?

The more I think about it' date=' the more I wonder why there was never a back up plan for Jones and Henderson!?!?

Zuffa is a multi-million dollar company with many businesses tied to it. Why would they screw the fans, those businesses and the fighters by not acting like pro's and having a back up plan? They've been in the fight game 20 years and they know fighters get hurt.

Add to the lack of heart Jones is showing....lack of common sense Zuffa is showing.[/quote']

Look at 137 card the main event was a title fight it got scrapped but beacuse the co main was legit there wasn't a problem, this is more on UFC's shoulder's than anyone else's.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/24/3264952/the-ufc-151-debacle-blame-list-who-you-should-be-mad-at-and-why

They should made number 1 as Joe silva then Dana white and upper brass as no 2 .

how much is Joe Silva getting paid . Probably more than the 16 fighters who aren't fighting in the UFC 151. If he had booked better matches those fighters people would see the match even if Jon Jones doesnt get to fight. This card was a 1 fight must see card only. UFC should be better than boxing not copying them. In one fight card event.

I'm amazed at how simple minded some of you people still are. If I dropped a couple G's on cageside seats to see Hendo v Jones, and that fight is cancelled, I want my ****ing money back! Not everyone watches the fight from mommy's basement while accompanied by their Dungeon & Dragons crew. Dana may be **** of epic proportions, but he made the right call. Now go throw your funny looking dice at each other, and stop crying. *****es! :)

Jon Jones said he would never turn down a fight' date=' ever.

He lied.

He's a *****.[/quote']

He also said he would not give Chael a title shot,so he did not lie.One takes precedence,which he is basically saying he would not turn down any fight EXCEPT Chael.

It is actually an embarrassment to the UFC and to Jones offering a 185 loser as a respectable replacement LMAO.

Silva didn't want to give Sonnen a rematch either,he flat out turned Sonnen and the UFC down.Dana had to do lots of begging to get Silva to take that fight.

Bottom line is the fighters don't like Sonnen,he gets fights with his mouth not his fighting.

Sonnen's fight versus Bisping actually proved he is NOT that good,he has vaulted his status just because he could wrestle Silva who is very weak to wrestling.

I definitely put a lot of blame on UFC for the cancellation of the event. Bones didn't make the card nor was he the one who gave the order to cancel it. UFC should have been more prepared.

The reason I lost all respect for Bones is quite simply that he didn't take the fight...a fight against a 185 lber who hasn't trained a day for it' date=' while Bones himself has been training for 3 months. If you can't beat Chael under those circumstances then you don't deserve to be champion. He was scared, he ducked and thus I have no respect for him.

All of that said, the fact that Bones KNEW the event was going under if he didn't fight and STILL refused to fight Chael makes it an even lamer thing for him to do. No, it's not his fault that UFC was in that bind. But he should have taken the fight regardless, and when he knew what the ultimate consequences were, it's utterly ridiculous that he still refused.

The fact that Anderson Silva stood up and offered to fight a RANDOM opponent at 205 lbs with less than 8 days notice and not having trained at all, in order to save the PPV shows how pathetic Bones really is. And this is coming from someone who has never particularly liked Silva and who was neutral on Bones before yesterday.[/quote']

You gotta be clueless as to what a fighter goes through. It's a huge decision to take a fight. As a fan you think it's as simple as signing a piece of paper and fighting a guy. Jones had been training for DAN HENDERSON, not Chael Sonnen. As much as I believe he'd destroy Chael, as a fighter who is the one inside the octagon doing the deed he needs to make smart choices not rushed ones. He consulted his coach who made helped him become a world champion. I think I would listen to my coaches (who helped me achieve gold and p4p top fighter status), rather than a bunch of greedy fans who just want violence and entertainment if I was Jones.

You kids don't even bother to put yourself in someone elses shoes before you judge. This is why anyone who actually understands the sport, what the fighters go through, and what it is to put everything on the line for a single fight will never complain about a fighter making a smart career based decision.

Ducking fights and the whole idea behind it was invented by greedy fans who just want to see the fights they want to see. We can't always get what we want. Grow up, and deal with it, it's called LIFE.

The more I think about it' date=' the more I wonder why there was never a back up plan for Jones and Henderson!?!?

Zuffa is a [b']multi-million[/b] dollar company with many businesses tied to it. Why would they screw the fans, those businesses and the fighters by not acting like pro's and having a back up plan? They've been in the fight game 20 years and they know fighters get hurt.

Add to the lack of heart Jones is showing....lack of common sense Zuffa is showing.

try billion

Add to the lack of heart Jones is showing....lack of common sense Zuffa is showing.[/quote']

The back-up plan is that their are ALWAYS fighters willing to step in on short notice and no fighter has ever turned down an injury replacement fighters

To be honest, I have always been a fan of PPV cards with Top 4 or 6 of one division, and middle road 6-12 of another division, then free parts mix and match..... it keeps alot of guys in camp at the same time for this very reason...

Still no excuse for jones ducking a fighter from a division below.... short notice is exactly that, short notice, for both fighters... A camp is a camp, so the scheduled fighter has the advantage, to me this is the purest form of MMA, a guy testing his skills against another without time to prepare to exploit weaknesses... pure fighting.

Stop it... just... stop it. You can't use common sense nor can you not ride the Jones hate train. THIS is the UFC Forum!!!! Where hating is the norm no matter what the situation.

The differnce in a UFC event and a boxing card has always been that there are multiple fights on a UFC card that could draw. This card was weak and relied on one fight to sell it. This shouldn't happen ever and it's Zuffa's fault. I hope they did lose money. Bad buisness models are suppose to. It's why they pay there stars so much less than boxing so they can spread the money around more to a bunch of great fighters. I was looking foward to the Siver/Yagin fight but most people were not.

funny people are blaming bones when the bigger problem was clearly the weak card where the main event was the only fight worth watching... ellenberger vs hieron as the co-main? thats the problem right there...

this situation has happened plenty of times before without the fight being cancelled... but before the UFC sold cards, not single fights...

Fact of the matter is, Dana with his comments and somewhat vague responses in some parts on this issue, made some people that already despised Jones into total Zuffa zombies that buy into everything he says without question.

Dana said: "in the history of this org, we never had a champion turn down a fight".

Well, how many times have you offered a champion on 8 days notice, a guy coming off an horrible loss in another division, who has never even fought in the champion's division once?

I would really like to know actually...

In fact if Machida and Shogun didn't want or couldn't take the fight the UFC would pull the plug on the main event and that's it...

When Dana said "the fans payed to see a championship fight that's what they will get", like he's really concerned, he's just playing you all...

Or did you guys all forget this event?

UFC_137_Poster_2.jpg

It was like this...

Got turned

UFC137-poster.jpg

Into this...

Why did nobody complain?

There was no title fight but the event went on...

Jon should've taken a fight, but since no LHW stepped up it was out of his control.

funny people are blaming bones when the bigger problem was clearly the weak card where the main event was the only fight worth watching... ellenberger vs hieron as the co-main? thats the problem right there...

this situation has happened plenty of times before without the fight being cancelled... but before the UFC sold cards' date=' not single fights...[/quote']

This exactly. What if they would have scrounged up a title fight but it sucked? Would the rest of the card have been worth $50 then?

[b']How hard is it to have 2 back up fighters for a main event?[/b]

They did have plenty of options but were simply pressed for time...

They did have plenty of options but were simply pressed for time...

But the rest of the card shouldn't be so weak that without one fight it's not worth doing.

The back up was another top LHW BUT no one thought that Jones would duck it.

What part of the business side are you guys not getting? Seriously? WHY WASN'T IT PUT ON PAPER BEFORE THE FIGHT WAS PROMOTED? Dana couldn't get Jones to sign a piece stating that there would be a back-up fighter of Zuffas choice? Really? Or at the very least a list of fighters Jon would getto chose from?

Zuffa didn't have to cancel the entire fight. Jones didn't cancel the fight....ZUFFA DID BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT WORKED OUT PRIOR TO PROMOTING IT.

What part of the business side are you guys not getting? Seriously? WHY WASN'T IT PUT ON PAPER BEFORE THE FIGHT WAS PROMOTED? Dana couldn't get Jones to sign a piece stating that there would be a back-up fighter of Zuffas choice? Really? Or at the very least a list of fighters Jon would getto chose from?

Zuffa didn't have to cancel the entire fight. Jones didn't cancel the fight....ZUFFA DID BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT WORKED OUT PRIOR TO PROMOTING IT.

Your favorite fighter ducked a out of shape middleweight.

Don't get too upset

Your favorite fighter ducked a out of shape middleweight.

Don't get too upset

I won this argument and debate the minute I said "contracts should of been signed before hand". The End. And I would never get upset because of a message board ;-)