Vitor Belfort: "I'm fighting the greatest fighter of all time"

ASdaKing

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30418/ufc-152-title-challenger-vitor-belfort-im-fighting-the-best-fighter-of-all-time.mma

...and there goes all my respect for Belfort. Dude got his face kicked off by the best fighter of all time. I bet Jones doesn't beat Belfort as fast and as devastating as Andy did. What a character, still can't give credit where credit is due.

Your thoughts?

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30418/ufc-152-title-challenger-vitor-belfort-im-fighting-the-best-fighter-of-all-time.mma

...and there goes all my respect for Belfort. Dude got his face kicked off by the best fighter of all time. I bet Jones doesn't beat Belfort as fast and as devastating as Andy did. What a character' date=' still can't give credit where credit is due.

Your thoughts?[/quote']

Given the fact that SIlva is scared to fight Jones I think that gives proof to who the better, or at least more intimidating, fighter is. Edit: and let's not forget Belfort is trying to help hype the fight.

Given the fact that SIlva is scared to fight Jones I think that gives proof to who the better' date=' or at least more intimidating, fighter is.[/quote']

Where do you get this from? Jones want's Silva as his mentor. He respects Silva too much to fight him. Who do you think went to whom and started their friendship? The 35+ year old P4P GOAT of the UFC or a 23 yr old that had just won the championship?

GTFO

Given the fact that SIlva is scared to fight Jones I think that gives proof to who the better' date=' or at least more intimidating, fighter is. Edit: and let's not forget Belfort is trying to help hype the fight.[/quote']

Jones doesn't want to fight Anderson Silva either...

...and there goes all my respect for Belfort. Dude got his face kicked off by the best fighter of all time. I bet Jones doesn't beat Belfort as fast and as devastating as Andy did. What a character' date=' still can't give credit where credit is due.

Your thoughts?[/quote']

Jones will use his obviously superior size to manhandle Belfort and possibly get a finish via elbows to what is going to look like a pile of **** once Bones is done with him...unfortunately.

People might view this as more devastating, but I won't. If it wasn't for Bones size he wouldn't be nearly as good. Machida or Hashad woulda beat him if he was a normal LHW size, not a HW fighting midgets...It's almost like Struve fighting MWs haha.

Yes' date=' but Jones isn't scared to fight Silva. Silva straight up waved his hands like he was about to be stabbed when asked if he would fight Jones.[/quote']

stop trolling.

if you actually believe that he truely got scared and waved his hands to get out of a fight...

both men openly said they do not want to fight eachother. How do you know Jones isn't scared to fight Silva?

It was during a press conference. I'd have to do some digging. It might have been the one when they gathered all the champions together.

You mean when Joe Rogan was interviewing them all and he asked them all about fighting the champion to their left or right...(except for the HW and BW because they only had one person beside them) and they all laughed playfully? Yea I saw that too and if that is what you are standing on to claim Silva is scared of Jones, you have to do a little better. That whole atmosphere was jovial and no one was serious.

You mean when Joe Rogan was interviewing them all and he asked them all about fighting the champion to their left or right...(except for the HW and BW because they only had one person beside them) and they all laughed playfully? Yea I saw that too and if that is what you are standing on to claim Silva is scared of Jones' date=' you have to do a little better. That whole atmosphere was jovial and no one was serious.[/quote']

Lets give Silva the benefit of GSP-doubt.

Silva should bulk up for 3-7 years, then consider possibly making a decision

You mean when Joe Rogan was interviewing them all and he asked them all about fighting the champion to their left or right...(except for the HW and BW because they only had one person beside them) and they all laughed playfully? Yea I saw that too and if that is what you are standing on to claim Silva is scared of Jones' date=' you have to do a little better. That whole atmosphere was jovial and no one was serious.[/quote']

@ 11:30

Maybe I exaggerated the hand waving, maybe it was another video, however, look at Jones reaction (laugh) when Silva was asked if he would fight Jon, look at Silva's (scared face).

Proof is in the pudding.

stop trolling.

if you actually believe that he truely got scared and waved his hands to get out of a fight...

both men openly said they do not want to fight eachother. How do you know Jones isn't scared to fight Silva?

Trolling? Is that what you fall back on when you don't agree with something? I don't see things your way, doesn't mean I'm trolling because you disagree with me. Come up with something better that doesn't make you sound like a child.

Or is it because you have man-love for Anderson?

Maybe I exaggerated the hand waving' date=' maybe it was another video, however, look at Jones reaction (laugh) when Silva was asked if he would fight Jon, look at Silva's (scared face).

Proof is in the pudding.[/quote']

At least I know you are trolling now.

Jones will use his obviously superior size to manhandle Belfort and possibly get a finish via elbows to what is going to look like a pile of **** once Bones is done with him...unfortunately.

People might view this as more devastating' date=' but I won't. If it wasn't for Bones size he wouldn't be nearly as good. Machida or Hashad woulda beat him if he was a normal LHW size, not a HW fighting midgets...It's almost like Struve fighting MWs haha.[/quote']

So tired of the size-argument... He makes weight, there debate ended... It's not like Maynard walkes around at 155, or Bisping at 185, or just about anyone walks around at their fightweight... Does his size and reach help him win? Of ****ing course it does. Doesn't make him any less of a fighter though...

Silva is the best fighter of all time as of yet imo, but Jones might just have taken that epitet in a few years, we'll see. Hope he gets a bit more likeable as well, and that he grows enough cojones to take fights on short notice...

Your thoughts?[/quote']

lmao...

you lost respect for him because he doesn't think your favorite fighter is the best fighter in the world?

smh

lmao...

you lost respect for him because he doesn't think your favorite fighter is the best fighter in the world?

smh

erm?..."my fighter" lol. Silva doesn't pay my bills but I know how to be subjective and objective and I know the difference between the two. The majority of the people that know MMA would say that Silva was the GOAT and the next section of people would say GSP, followed by Fedor or Jones.

Sorry you are still butthurt about that year long AV bet you lost for your homie Sonnen.

Your thoughts?[/quote']

I came here specificly to create this post but you beat me to it. :) I've watched two interviews and Vitor said no less than 6 times that Jones was the greatest.

I believe this is his way at trying to get under Anderson Silvas skin. I don't believe for a minute he thinks Jones is the greatest fighter of all time.

I came here specificly to create this post but you beat me to it. :) I've watched two interviews and Vitor said no less than 6 times that Jones was the greatest.

I believe this is his way at trying to get under Anderson Silvas skin. I don't believe for a minute he thinks Jones is the greatest fighter of all time.

I think you might be right. Either that, or trying to make himself look great. He has called Silva's kick "lucky" about 100 times though. I'm so glad that kick will forever be immortalized...maybe someday the UFC will have a silhouette of an athlete like they do for the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, etc. and it will be Silva kicking Belfort in the ****ing face lol

If Jones keeps up this pace he'll be considered the GOAT easily.

He's still basically undefeated and achieved success much earlier than Anderson

...and if Silva retires undefeated in the UFC and never loses his belt?...how does one actually do better than that?

...and if Silva retires undefeated in the UFC and never loses his belt?...how does one actually do better than that?

If Jones has as many defenses he will be considered better.

Better start to his career, and has never lost a 10-8 round (yet)

Bones is more dominant even if Anderson may be more spectacular as his stand-up game is clearly one of the most amazing things this sport has witnessed. But Jones doesn't have weaknesses as blatant as Anderson's wrestling

more title defenses?

hold belt in 2 divitions?

I guess it will be the old Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant debate. Technically Anderson holds the Strikeforce and UFC middleweight crown. (after beating Henderson to unify) I know he actually DOESN"T hold the strikeforce belt, but you know what I mean. Anderson has defeated former champs from three different weight classes.

Plus when Silva entered the UFC in 06, it wasn't the monster it is today. And of course Andy was already 30 ish because he fought in other organizations around the world. Only time will tell.

If Jones has as many defenses he will be considered better.

Better start to his career' date=' and has never lost a 10-8 round (yet)

Bones is more dominant even if Anderson may be more spectacular as his stand-up game is clearly one of the most amazing things this sport has witnessed. But [b']Jones doesn't have weaknesses as blatant as Anderson's wrestling[/b]

I will give you this point, but I will say this for 100th time---the UFC has never seen a more aggressive and effective wrestler than Chael Sonnen. Jones had his chance to face off with him and he turned it down. Those are the decisions that make champions and they are also the decisions that seperate the GOAT from just being Great

I think you might be right. Either that' date=' or trying to make himself look great. He has called Silva's kick "lucky" about 100 times though. I'm so glad that kick will forever be immortalized...maybe someday the UFC will have a silhouette of an athlete like they do for the NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL, etc. and it will be Silva kicking Belfort in the ****ing face lol[/quote']

The bad blood between those two goes back years and the kick to the face did nothing but obsess him with Anderson Silva worse than he already was. It's obvious Silva is in his head and will be until he either fights him again or Silva retires.

Before Silva was the superstar in Brazil, Vitor was. He was treated like rock star and it was at a young age. I think young guys who rise to superstardom (like Vitor did) can get addicted to that feeling of being important especially when you come from nothing. I believe that happened to Vitor and then the kidnapping and murder of his sister plus the rise of Silva happened. I'm not saying victor blames Silva but there's jealousy and animosity because I think he wants the legacy Silva has.

I don't like feeling sorry for people but I almost feel sorry for Vitor.

Yeah, I'm pretty mad that Jones ducked Sonnen.

Jones spewed all this garbage about how he didn't want to face Machida again because Machida is a dangerous fighter but a poor PPV draw...

SONNEN IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, especially for Jones who is much bigger and has an amazing wrestling base. Jones vs Sonnen would sell tons of PPVs and Sonnen would have basically nothing to offer

I admit that even if Sonnen is one of my favourite fighters

Maybe I exaggerated the hand waving' date=' maybe it was another video, however, look at Jones reaction (laugh) when Silva was asked if he would fight Jon, look at Silva's (scared face).

Proof is in the pudding.[/quote']

I've studied pudding for years and have yet to discover proof in it.

Yeah' date=' I'm pretty mad that Jones ducked Sonnen.

Jones spewed all this garbage about how he didn't want to face Machida again because Machida is a dangerous fighter but a poor PPV draw...

SONNEN IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, especially for Jones who is much bigger and has an amazing wrestling base. Jones vs Sonnen would sell tons of PPVs and Sonnen would have basically nothing to offer

I admit that even if Sonnen is one of my favourite fighters[/quote']

Yea I understand that. One thing is for sure, Sonnen would have made Jones fight him. None of that long arm and leg crap would have mattered. Sonnen would have dove on his chest and went for the takedown. Granted, he wouldn't have been very successful against a guy with such a huge sprawling base. Would have been awesome to see though.

Your thoughts?[/quote']

HAHA

u mad bro?

Even Vitor knows Canderson is a can

Your thoughts?[/quote']

Well unless Vitor has the brain of a peanut,you would think he learned from that fight?So Jones really has no chance to pull that off.

As far as "how fast" it doesn't mean a single thing to rating fighters.

Why didn't Silva pull that move on Chael?Sonnen would have been the PERFECT candidate because Silva would know Chael would be coming in head first.

There is pretty much simple math anyhow,if Jones beats Silva 10/10 and every fight took 5 rounds,does it matter how fast?

IMO the BEST fights are the ones that go the distance,this gives BOTH fighters EVERY opportunity to use all their skills and to adjust.Fast fights are usually a result of a poor mistake or luck,that doesn't do a thing to a fighters credibility.Well unless since Serra beat GSP the best,we must rank Serra as the p4p best?

Andre Arlovski beat Big Country faster than JDS,so that means Arlovski is the best?Definitely proves he is better than JDS right?lol why do i try,,common sense should kick in.

erm?..."my fighter" lol. Silva doesn't pay my bills but I know how to be subjective and objective and I know the difference between the two. The majority of the people that know MMA would say that Silva was the GOAT and the next section of people would say GSP' date=' followed by Fedor or Jones.

Sorry you are still butthurt about that year long AV bet you lost for your homie Sonnen.[/quote']

First off i never said "your fighter". I said your favorite fighter.

And while i do believe Silva is the best fighter in the world i do know its arguable.

Now imo, ranking him at #1 p4p is a must because of his record.

Goat, p4p, and best fighter in the world are 3 different things imo.

Well unless Vitor has the brain of a peanut' date='you would think he learned from that fight?So Jones really has no chance to pull that off.

As far as "how fast" it doesn't mean a single thing to rating fighters.

[b']Good observation, and I wasn't making it to rate a fighter, c'mon man stop reading into it too far.[/b]

Why didn't Silva pull that move on Chael?Sonnen would have been the PERFECT candidate because Silva would know Chael would be coming in head first.

Is this even a question? Didn't Silva hand Chael is first TKO loss? In the 2nd round?

There is pretty much simple math anyhow,if Jones beats Silva 10/10 and every fight took 5 rounds,does it matter how fast?

You are putting to much stress on "fast", I was giving my opinion

IMO the BEST fights are the ones that go the distance,this gives BOTH fighters EVERY opportunity to use all their skills and to adjust.Fast fights are usually a result of a poor mistake or luck,that doesn't do a thing to a fighters credibility.Well unless since Serra beat GSP the best,we must rank Serra as the p4p best?

Now you are saying "fights" but I am saying "fighters" That means a BODY of work, not just one fight...stop being stupid

Andre Arlovski beat Big Country faster than JDS,so that means Arlovski is the best?Definitely proves he is better than JDS right?lol why do i try,,common sense should kick in.

Stupid assumption again. You took something and ran wild with it. Common sense should kick in for YOU that I wasn't basing Silva's GOAT status against how fast Jones would finish Belfort---that fight hasn't even occured yet. It was MY opinion.

LOL now

GTFO

First off i never said "your fighter". I said your favorite fighter.

And while i do believe Silva is the best fighter in the world i do know its arguable.

Now imo' date=' ranking him at #1 p4p is a must because of his record.

Goat, p4p, and best fighter in the world are 3 different things imo.[/quote']

You did, but nice edit. Sooo, let me try to understand the last part of this....let's say in your mind, Fedor is GOAT, Anderson Silva is the P4P best fighter, but Chael Sonnen is the best fighter in the world? ...those are all guesses of course, but is something along those lines correct?

Where do you get this from? Jones want's Silva as his mentor. He respects Silva too much to fight him. Who do you think went to whom and started their friendship? The 35+ year old P4P GOAT of the UFC or a 23 yr old that had just won the championship?

GTFO

Actually Jon Jones said he wanted to fight Anderson Silva when he first arrived on the scene, and Anderson quickly invited Jon Jones to come to his home so he could put him on friend status to avoid fighting him. There were dozens of threads on this forum, and sherdog going off and predicting that Anderson would soon after refuse to fight Jon Jones due to friendship, and sure enough it happened.

That being said, I don't think Vitor Belfort has more balls because he went up to LHW to fight Jon Jones. Vitor has nothing to lose, and everything to gain -- the same cannot be said for Anderson Silva.

Actually Jon Jones said he wanted to fight Anderson Silva when he first arrived on the scene' date=' and Anderson quickly invited Jon Jones to come to his home so he could put him on friend status to avoid fighting him. There were dozens of threads on this forum, and sherdog going off and predicting that Anderson would soon after refuse to fight Jon Jones due to friendship, and sure enough it happened.

That being said, I don't think Vitor Belfort has more balls because he went up to LHW to fight Jon Jones. Vitor has nothing to lose, and everything to gain -- the same cannot be said for Anderson Silva.[/quote']

You are going to have to do a little better than that. Link it or it didn't happen. I have NEVER heard of such a story and if anyone else here had, it would have been talked about a million times. The first time they ever met was at the first screening of Silva's documentary "Like Water" that was showing in Tribeca, NY