Jones and Jackson proved that MMA is not truly a sport

WAMMA

First and foremost it is imperative to understand the difference in what makes an activity a sport vs what is considered a spectacle.

A sport has a very clear goal that every team or individual is 100% cognizant of and fully focused on winning.

Examples of true sports (Highest professional level):

Soccer = World Cup

Basketball = World or NBA Championship

NFL Football = Superbowl

MLB = World Series

Kickboxing = World Grand Prix championship

Boxing = Weight class title belt

MMA = Weight class title belt

In every real sport the ultimate "goal" is contested on a 100% established time frame. The most common established time frame is one year as in Basketball, NFL, Baseball etc. . .

While one year is the most common, there are other real sports that use other 100% clearly defined (etched in stone) time frames for their competition of the established ultimate goal.

Combat sports in particular like to have the "ultimate goal" contested in a time frame shorter than one year! In Boxing the individual organizations have adopted between 120 and 180 days (Again etched in stone in each individual organization)!

OK, we have established exactly what constitutes a true sport. A spectacle is an event which stands on its own and has enough fan interest/ entertainment value to be able to exist without the confines of either a 100% clear goal or etched in stone time frame for said competition.

Spectacles can take on many forms and be influenced by any number of natural and unnatural occurrences. These "spectacles" can require strength, endurance, other physical attributes and bravery that rival any true sport. A great example if the fighting of major forest wild fires. You can't argue that being a firefighter does not require all of the above, but the "contest" only takes place when the environmental conditions exist and a natural or unnatural event cause the event!

Prior to Zuffa purchasing the UFC, it was extremely clear to everyone that MMA was not a sport, but a fantastic spectacle.

I loved PRIDE, and my favorite two fighters were Wandy & Fedor. With that said both Wandy and Fedor held "championship belts" that were in no way shape or form comparable to those held by "champion Boxers".

The prohibative vast majority of both Wandy and Fedors fights in PRIDE FC were quote/ unquote "non-title bouts". This is Japan folks!

That ridiculous "loose" spectacle was flat out not going to be allowed to continue in the USA, and it's major MMA organization the UFC was literally on the ropes and going down for the count! It is fact that Zuffa with Dana White stepped in to attempt to take this "spectacle" that was termed "Human ****-Fighting" and add rules and regulations to turn it into a "fringe-sport" that they intended to build into a "true" sport in time.

History lesson over, fast forward to today. The UFC enjoyed meteoric growth and nearly established itself as a mainstream sport. It is unfortunate that one single event literally killed the sport of MMA and clearly knocked it back into the dark ages of "human **** fighting".

I know what you are thinking, and Hell no I am not referring to either Greg Jackson's ability to exploit loopholes in the UFC's rules to gain his fighters victories, nor am I referring to JBJ refusal to fight a replacement at UFC 151 on 8 days notice forcing the cancellation of the event.

There is one incident alone that 100% absolutely proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the UFC and MMA in general is not a true sport.

Dana White and Zuffa are 80% - 90% to blame in the death of MMA as a potential mainstream sport. The incident of their Welterweight belt not being defended since April 30, 2011 was the start. The death blow was on April 30, 2012 when the UFC Welterweight belt had still not been defended. I hold GSP 0% to blame for the death of the UFC as a mainstream sport.

Every combat organization on earth that could be possibly considered a true "sport" has no problem like the UFC has. They had at least a second grade mentality and foresaw the inevitable situation where the belt holder would suffer injury and be unable to defend the ultimate goal "title belt". It took at least the mental capacity of a six year old to come up with a "mandatory title defense time frame" against the number oe contender to establish their combat "event(s)" as true sports.

The last 10% - 20% to blame are the most severe ignorant fans possible! You constantly hear "diehard" MMA fans here on the UFC forums defending pathetic PPV cards with all kinds of either "idiotic" or "well thought out desire to keep MMA a spectacle".

They will flat out put to question and insult fans that want major "multiple weight class" title fights on EVERY PPV card, and have many top named well known fighters on the PPV undercard.

They argue that lesser known Fighter X vs. lesser known Fighter Y will be an absolute war given their respective fight styles, as will the PPV undercard fights K vs P and C vs W. If that were not enough preliminary fight card has three blow the roof off matchups with D vs M, Q vs Z and E vs L!

In all honestly if all 6 of these fights involving the 12 relatively unknown fighters actually do turn out to be the "barn burners" that the diehards elude to, it still make the PPV card worthless as fat milky breasts on a Brahma Bull without the big name fighters and the championship title fights!

All that Greg and Jon has proved is that Dana and Zuffa have outlived thier usefulness in growing MMA into a true sport, by not stripping GSP of the "LMAO UFC WW title" on April 30,2012.

First and foremost it is imperative to understand the difference in what makes an activity a sport vs what is considered a spectacle.

A sport has a very clear goal that every team or individual is 100% cognizant of and fully focused on winning.

Soccer = World Cup

NFL Football = Superbowl

MLB = World Series

In every real sport the ultimate "goal" is contested on a 100% established time frame. The most common established time frame is one year as in Basketball' date=' NFL, Baseball etc. . .

While one year is the most common, there are other real sports that use other 100% clearly defined (etched in stone) time frames for their competition of the established ultimate goal.

Combat sports in particular like to have the "ultimate goal" contested in a time frame shorter than one year! In Boxing the individual organizations have adopted between 120 and 180 days (Again etched in stone in each individual organization)!

OK, we have established exactly what constitutes a true sport. A spectacle is an event which stands on its own and has enough fan interest/ entertainment value to be able to exist without the confines of either a 100% clear goal or etched in stone time frame for said competition.

Spectacles can take on many forms and be influenced by any number of natural and unnatural occurrences. These "spectacles" can require strength, endurance, other physical attributes and bravery that rival any true sport. A great example if the fighting of major forest wild fires. You can't argue that being a firefighter does not require all of the above, but the "contest" only takes place when the environmental conditions exist and a natural or unnatural event cause the event!

Prior to Zuffa purchasing the UFC, it was extremely clear to everyone that MMA was not a sport, but a fantastic spectacle.

I loved PRIDE, and my favorite two fighters were Wandy & Fedor. With that said both Wandy and Fedor held "championship belts" that were in no way shape or form comparable to those held by "champion Boxers".

The prohibative vast majority of both Wandy and Fedors fights in PRIDE FC were quote/ unquote "non-title bouts". This is Japan folks!

That ridiculous "loose" spectacle was flat out not going to be allowed to continue in the USA, and it's major MMA organization the UFC was literally on the ropes and going down for the count! It is fact that Zuffa with Dana White stepped in to attempt to take this "spectacle" that was termed "Human ****-Fighting" and add rules and regulations to turn it into a "fringe-sport" that they intended to build into a "true" sport in time.

History lesson over, fast forward to today. The UFC enjoyed meteoric growth and nearly established itself as a mainstream sport. It is unfortunate that one single event literally killed the sport of MMA and clearly knocked it back into the dark ages of "human **** fighting".

I know what you are thinking, and Hell no I am not referring to either Greg Jackson's ability to exploit loopholes in the UFC's rules to gain his fighters victories, nor am I referring to JBJ refusal to fight a replacement at UFC 151 on 8 days notice forcing the cancellation of the event.

There is one incident alone that 100% absolutely proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the UFC and MMA in general is not a true sport.

Dana White and Zuffa are 80% - 90% to blame in the death of MMA as a potential mainstream sport. The incident of their Welterweight belt not being defended since April 30, 2011 was the start. The death blow was on April 30, 2012 when the UFC Welterweight belt had still not been defended. I hold GSP 0% to blame for the death of the UFC as a mainstream sport.

Every combat organization on earth that could be possibly considered a true "sport" has no problem like the UFC has. They had at least a second grade mentality and foresaw the inevitable situation where the belt holder would suffer injury and be unable to defend the ultimate goal "title belt". It took at least the mental capacity of a six year old to come up with a "mandatory title defense time frame" against the number oe contender to establish their combat "event(s)" as true sports.

The last 10% - 20% to blame are the most severe ignorant fans possible! You constantly hear "diehard" MMA fans here on the UFC forums defending pathetic PPV cards with all kinds of either "idiotic" or "well thought out desire to keep MMA a spectacle".

They will flat out put to question and insult fans that want major "multiple weight class" title fights on EVERY PPV card, and have many top named well known fighters on the PPV undercard.

They argue that lesser known Fighter X vs. lesser known Fighter Y will be an absolute war given their respective fight styles, as will the PPV undercard fights K vs P and C vs W. If that were not enough preliminary fight card has three blow the roof off matchups with D vs M, Q vs Z and E vs L!

In all honestly if all 6 of these fights involving the 12 relatively unknown fighters actually do turn out to be the "barn burners" that the diehards elude to, it still make the PPV card worthless as fat milky breasts on a Brahma Bull without the big name fighters and the championship title fights!

All that Greg and Jon has proved is that Dana and Zuffa have outlived thier usefulness in growing MMA into a true sport, by not stripping GSP of the "LMAO UFC WW title" on April 30,2012.[/quote']

ok

This is a troll thread. But I will bite.

MMA is a combat sport, thus making it a sport. Sports have rules and MMA have rules. Can't believe I was dumb enough to read through this troll OP. So, in the end..Dana White and Co, was the one that stopped MMA from becoming a mainstream sport? LOL. What you say makes no sense at all. Dana and Co were the people that SIGNED onto one of the biggest MAJOR broadcasting networks in the world while YOU have done absolutely nothing but talk **** and hypocrise about MMA not being a mainstream sport, blaming Dana and his crew with NOTHING that you have to back you up. SO what your saying is, since the WW title has not been defended since April 30th of 2012, that makes it NOT a mainstream sport? Haha!!!!!!!! Your a troll. Get out. Who wouldn't want multiple title fights on the card? I know I do. But you know why it would never happen? Because DFW says so and his word is law. I'm pretty sure MMA fans know that MMA is a sport and YOU are the only one to call it a 'spectacle'. Your an idiot. This thread has nothing to do with Jones or Greg Jackson. So by not stripping GSP of his title, the UFC has stopped MMA from being a mainstream sport? Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! Seems like some solid logic bro. Why aren't you the President of the UFC then with your 'oh so magnificent logic that has no flaws whatsoever' LOL. GTFO. GSP hater, get out. Like a politician, you type a lot but rarely make a point or have any sense whatsoever. Haters gone hate.

This is not a troll thread

Just a thread where a topic has been brought up and now its been bombarded with "didn't read gifs"

Real mature everyone.....

Why does bringing up a topic seem to get alot of people butt hurt?

Isn't this a MMA forum where issues/topics can be discussed??

Thanks to those who actually did read and answered with the topic with some answers (good or bad)

Stay Classy UFC forums

By your definition, the following are not sports:

MMA

Boxing

Wrestling

Tennis

There's probably more that I could think of.

Your post says that MMA is not truly a sport, but in the first part, you say "Examples of true sports", and list MMA. It took you less than 3 sentences to contradict yourself.

Technically there was a Welterweight title fight between 2011 and 2012 - it was an interim title fight, which invalidates the entire point of your post.

By your definition' date=' the following are not sports:

MMA

Boxing

Wrestling

Tennis

Your post says that MMA is not truly a sport, but in the first part, you say "Examples of true sports", and list MMA. It took you less than 3 sentences to contradict yourself.

Technically there was a Welterweight title fight between 2011 and 2012 - it was an interim title fight, which invalidates the entire point of your post.[/quote']

Winning.

I actually read part of this. Read enough to know that the TS is a complete retard anyway.

sport

   [spawrt' date= spohrt] Show IPA

noun

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

MMA - an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and IS of a competitive nature

MMA is a sport you ****ing idiot.

Hard concept to understand there, Munkie. I had to reread it a few times to fully comprehend it. So MMA is a sport by definition? Please elaborate because my brain cannot fully grasp the concept.

By your definition' date=' the following are not sports:

MMA

Boxing

Wrestling

Tennis

Technically there was a Welterweight title fight between 2011 and 2012 - it was an interim title fight, which invalidates the entire point of your post.[/quote']

Thanks for your opinion however I do not see what you do not understand. When WW III finally breaks out and all of the UFC champions are called back to their respective countries to "fight", that will not make World War III a sport even though the best skilled fighters are fighting every day.

If the "sport?" of MMA is to continue during this time of war, then the next group of fighters that are not drafted into war will contest for the championships and flat out be the new "champions"!

The UFC has flat out swallowed the best skilled fighters in the "sport?" of MMA and as such in essence become the "sport?" itself!

There is a CFL true, but the sport of Football is flat out the NFL. All MLB teams "OWN" numerous levels of "professional baseball organizations". Single A, Double A, and Triple A are support organizations and that only. They play the SPORT of Baseball, but are deemed totally irrelevant outside of the major league support, as are all foreign baseball organizations.

With the UFC's financial domination and "ownership" of every top MMA fighter on earth comes the mantle of representing the "sport?" of MMA. All other Professional MMA organizations are nothing more than "feeder organizations" for the UFC which is the "sport?" of MMA!

The UFC and it's absolute refusal to have it's WW title defended deal the deathblow to all underling leagues as a "sport?"!

It is stupid to let a champion sit out for 2 years and not have a champion in the meantime. You cant be champion without beating the champion, sure.... but that goes out the window when there is no champ anymore.

If you can't defend the belt, you should not have the belt. When they knew GSP was not going to be able to make a defense, they should have stripped the belt and had a championship bout, not these BS interim titles they love so much.

sorry for the rant, just realy passionate about the topic and its a quiet day at work

Thanks for your opinion however I do not see what you do not understand. When WW III finally breaks out and all of the UFC champions are called back to their respective countries to "fight"' date=' that will not make World War III a sport even though the best skilled fighters are fighting every day.

If the "sport?" of MMA is to continue during this time of war, then the next group of fighters that are not drafted into war will contest for the championships and flat out be the new "champions"!

The UFC has flat out swallowed the best skilled fighters in the "sport?" of MMA and as such in essence become the "sport?" itself!

There is a CFL true, but the sport of Football is flat out the NFL. All MLB teams "OWN" numerous levels of "professional baseball organizations". Single A, Double A, and Triple A are support organizations and that only. They play the SPORT of Baseball, but are deemed totally irrelevant outside of the major league support, as are all foreign baseball organizations.

With the UFC's financial domination and "ownership" of every top MMA fighter on earth comes the mantle of representing the "sport?" of MMA. All other Professional MMA organizations are nothing more than "feeder organizations" for the UFC which is the "sport?" of MMA!

The UFC and it's absolute refusal to have it's WW title defended deal the deathblow to all underling leagues as a "sport?"!

It is stupid to let a champion sit out for 2 years and not have a champion in the meantime. You cant be champion without beating the champion, sure.... but that goes out the window when there is no champ anymore.

If you can't defend the belt, you should not have the belt. When they knew GSP was not going to be able to make a defense, they should have stripped the belt and had a championship bout, not these BS interim titles they love so much.

sorry for the rant, just realy passionate about the topic and its a quiet day at work[/quote']

Wow, I have absolutely no idea what your point is. WTF is this business about WWIII, and what does that have to do with whether MMA is a sport? And whether the UFC has all the best fighters in the world or not has no bearing on if MMA is a sport. You could have a full stable of unskilled talentless fighters, and it would still be a sport. As for GSP, you can say that they should've stripped him of the belt, and I may agree, but the fact that they didn't doesn't mean that MMA isn't a sport.

It may not fit your definition, but it does fit into mine (and the majority of peoples'). It is a competition of athleticism and skill, and pits athletes against each other. That is all that is required to be a sport.

Soccer = World Cup

NFL Football = Superbowl

MLB = World Series

In every real sport the ultimate "goal" is contested on a 100% established time frame. The most common established time frame is one year as in Basketball' date=' NFL, Baseball etc. . .

All that Greg and Jon has proved is that Dana and Zuffa have outlived thier usefulness in growing MMA into a true sport, by not stripping GSP of the "LMAO UFC WW title" on April 30,2012.[/quote']

i dont understand how your title says its not a true sport but you include it in your list of true sports :confused::confused::confused:

billy%2Bmadison%2Bquote.jpg

The fighters themselves have to be considered as true sportsmen' date=' and women.

The UFC however, is a business first and a spectacle second, very much on par with the WWE.[/quote']

People keep talking about the UFC being a 'spectacle' like that excludes something from being a sport. Why can't it be both?

People keep talking about the UFC being a 'spectacle' like that excludes something from being a sport. Why can't it be both?

The UFC is a company in the business of promoting the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, in much the same way as HBO and Showtime promote the sport of Boxing.

The company itself is not a sport, but it is synonomous with MMA ( the sport ) in peoples minds as the total package.

Personally, i think MMA will always struggle to be recognised as a true mainstream sport until the UFC, as the public face of MMA, introduce a bonafide ranking system and title fights awarded on merit and not on who or what sells tickets.

That's where people are getting confused. Just because it's not a mainstream sport doesn't mean it's not a sport.

I agree mate. In sporting terms, MMA is still in its infancy, at least to the general public.

The UFC have done a great job of bringing it to the masses, but in terms of awareness and exposure, there is still a long way to go before it is as recognisable to the public as Boxing or, dare i say it, even pro wrestling.

None of this, however, should detract from the fact that, at its heart, MMA is a true 'sport' in its own right