Was Bones beating Rua the greatest performance in UFC history? Bones thinks it was.

Wenger

From his website:

"Jon displayed what is widely considered the best performance in UFC history in march 2011 dominating legendary martial artist Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a tko victory. Becoming the youngest champion in UFC history."

You can tell that he personally wrote it because the grammar is terrible throughout. Obviously Jones vs. Rua was a beatdown, but to claim that his performance in that fight is widely considered to be the best in UFC history??!? Not just one of the best performances?

What would you consider the greatest performance in UFC history?

I would say that it has to be Silva vs. Griffin.

If you wanna read more of Jon's about page: http://www.jonnybones.com/about.html

Was it the best beatdown in history? No.

Was it the most entertaining fight in history? No.

Was it the most impressive performance from a fighter in history? No.

Was it even Jon Jones' best fight in history? No.

Was it Shogun Rua's worst defeat in history? No.

Was it the best UFC Light-Heavyweight Title bout in history? No.

I honestly am struggling to see in what way or fashion that particular bout is hailed by anyone as the best - let alone how you could claim it to be "widely considered" that with a straight face.

I would say it is.

Sonnen took Silva to town but Silva was never really out of it and finished him in the end besides, Sonnen got caught afterwards, pretty much tarnishing that performance, if he had won that fight it wouldn't have meant anything and he would have his belt stripped.

Jones was far more impressive beacuse he made Shogun look like an amateur in there, Shogun also admitted he was out of it the moment Jones landed the knee in the first seconds of the fight.

Especially since it was the fight that made him the youngest champ in UFC history.

It was one of the most impressive perfomances in UFC history for sure considering who he was fighting, for what, at what age and how he did it.

I would say it is.

Sonnen took Silva to town but Silva was never really out of it and finished him in the end besides' date=' Sonnen got caught afterwards, pretty much tarnishing that performance, if he had won that fight it wouldn't have meant anything and he would have his belt stripped.

Jones was far more impressive beacuse he made Shogun look like an amateur in there, Shogun also admitted he was out of it the moment Jones landed the knee in the first seconds of the fight.

Especially simce it was the fight that made him the youngest champ in UFC history.[/quote']

Why am I not surprised by this? :) 10/10

His age is irrelevant to the performance he put on and what significance it has on the "greatest performance in ufc history" list. Basing your judgement on which fight qualifies by how amateurish the fighter on the losing end looked it's safe to say that this fight is nowhere near the top of the list when taking into consideration some of the most humiliating defeats and straight dominations that have happened in the past.

I agree with OP, Silva vs Griffin looked like a pro fighter vs a man who just started taking lessons, there are even people who genuinely believe that Silva would beat Griffin if Silva had no arms... there's a thread on here somewhere about it.

I would consider the greatest performance in UFC history Silva vs Leben. Silva landed everything, Leben landed nothing, he finished it inside a minute. Leben had been on a 5 fight win streak of mainly KOs.

Jones taking 3 rounds to finish an out of shape and over the hill fighter he was a weightclass above is not as impressive. Sorry, but I don't think being bigger than all your opponents very impressive

His age is irrelevant to the performance he put on and what significance it has on the "greatest performance in ufc history" list. Basing your judgement on which fight qualifies by how amateurish the fighter on the losing end looked it's safe to say that this fight is nowhere near the top of the list when taking into consideration some of the most humiliating defeats and straight dominations that have happened in the past.

I agree with OP' date=' Silva vs Griffin looked like a pro fighter vs a man who just started taking lessons, there are even people who genuinely believe that Silva would beat Griffin if Silva had no arms... there's a thread on here somewhere about it.[/quote']

I changed my post a little, but it's tied between Jones and Matt Serra (beating GSP).

If we are talking about most impressive wins, there's no doubt Jones is up there Shogun had just beaten Lyoto and this kid wants to face Shogun for the title without even having a full camp? Yeah, right...

It wasn't a flash KO, he didn't get caught in a sub (those things can happen to the best fighters), he got beat up everywhere and TKO'd without ever doing anything worthwhile.

Nobody has ever done that to Shogun.

Silva vs Forrest was an impressive win, but we already knew how good he was, the beatdown Jones gave to Shogun was impressive, unexpected and shocking.

I don't know how some posters here are saying the most impressive wins they ever saw were non-title fights.

I would qualify beating the champion up more impressive than any non title fight.

I agree with OP' date=' Silva vs Griffin looked like a pro fighter vs a man who just started taking lessons, there are even people who genuinely believe that Silva would beat Griffin if Silva had no arms... there's a thread on here somewhere about it.[/quote']

Silva vs Leben too mate..

I changed my post a little' date=' but it's tied between Jones and Matt Serra (beating GSP).

If we are talking about most impressive wins, there's no doubt Jones is up there Shogun had just beaten Lyoto and this kid wants to face Shogun for the title without even having a full camp? Yeah, right...

It wasn't a flash KO, he didn't get caught in a sub (those things can happen to the best fighters), he got beat up everywhere and TKO'd without ever doing anything worthwhile.

Nobody has ever done that to Shogun.

Silva vs Forrest was an impressive win, but we already knew how good he was, the beatdown Jones gave to Shogun was impressive, unexpected and shocking.

I don't know how some posters here are saying the most impressive wins they ever saw were non-title fights.

I would qualify beating the champion up more impressive than any non title fight.[/quote']

Well that non title fight I'm speaking of involved the former champ who only just lost his title, and a guy from a lower weight class, (who spent time early in his career at 170) who completely dominated him better then any of the other contenders at 205 ever did, compare that to the fact that Forrest is one of the largest LHW's, and Jones is THE largest LHW taking on guys with distinct physical disadvantages... I have to say a smaller guy beating a bigger guy so dominantly and easily in 1 round is more impressive to me then a larger guy shutting out a smaller guy for 3 rounds.

Well that non title fight I'm speaking of involved the former champ who only just lost his title' date=' and a guy from a lower weight class, (who spent time early in his career at 170) who completely dominated him better then any of the other contenders at 205 ever did, compare that to the fact that Forrest is one of the largest LHW's, and Jones is THE largest LHW taking on guys with distinct physical disadvantages... I have to say a smaller guy beating a bigger guy so dominantly and easily in 1 round is more impressive to me then a larger guy shutting out a smaller guy for 3 rounds.[/quote']

I have no doubt that was one of the most impressive wins ever, but let's take weight and size out of the equation if they make weight legally nothing else matters IMO.

For me, any title fight where the challenger beats up the champion and not only that but outclasses him too is more impressive than a champion beating a contender or a non title fight, where the pressure just simply isn't there for one.

It's very rare that you see a champion get handled like that.

Well that non title fight I'm speaking of involved the former champ who only just lost his title' date=' and a guy from a lower weight class, (who spent time early in his career at 170) who completely dominated him better then any of the other contenders at 205 ever did, compare that to the fact that Forrest is one of the largest LHW's, and Jones is THE largest LHW taking on guys with distinct physical disadvantages... I have to say a smaller guy beating a bigger guy so dominantly and easily in 1 round is more impressive to me then a larger guy shutting out a smaller guy for 3 rounds.[/quote']

You guys need new material and by the way there are two 205ers bigger then Jones so where is their hate for being bigger and why aren't they so dominate? lol every time and ask this question people ignore it. People sure don't discredit Aldo for being bigger and the funny thing is shouldn't the biggest fighter in every division be just as dominate as Jones since he wins only because size??? These dudes hate Jones so bad that they'll cling onto anything they can to slander his name. Also lol at Sonnen being a natural MW really yall should check out his weight but silly me ole Shale can do whatever he wants since he makes you laugh.

You guys need new material and by the way there are two 205ers bigger then Jones so where is their hate for being bigger and why aren't they so dominate? lol every time and ask this question people ignore it. People sure don't discredit Aldo for being bigger and the funny thing is shouldn't the biggest fighter in every division be just as dominate as Jones since he wins only because size??? These dudes hate Jones so bad that they'll cling onto anything they can to slander his name. Also lol at Sonnen being a natural MW really yall should check out his weight but silly me ole Shale can do whatever he wants since he makes you laugh.

People also seem to forget that fighting isn't just about being more skillful and technical than the other guy, it's also about being able to beat the other fighter's physical advantages no matter what those might be...

If somebody was to fight Cro Cop they would be looking at those giant tree trunks he calls legs not so much at the rest of his body.

Jones has a physical advantage in size some might have it in experience (might be able to take a better shot), others might have it in the thickness of their legs compared to JBJ's chicken legs and so on...

People also seem to forget that fighting isn't just about being more skillful and technical than the other guy' date=' it's also about being able to beat the other fighter's physical advantages no matter what those might be...

If somebody was to fight Cro Cop they would be looking at those giant tree trunks he calls legs not so much at the rest of his body.

Jones has a physical advantage in size some might have it in experience, others might have it in the thickness of their legs compared to JBJ's chicken legs and so on...[/quote']

Dudes like George Roop and Ben Sauders 6'3(welterweight) don't get hate from people because honestly they suck which makes me believe people try to discredit a win simply because they hate the guy and like you said speed and strength are just as much as a god givin talent as size is. People make it like the bigger fighter has all the advantages when the bs of an excuse has been put to rest numerous of times.

I never said he was too big for LHW, I said he is the biggest lhw, maybe not tallest, but certainly has the most distinct advantage with range etc. I was trying to say he held a size advantage over shogun, whereas Anderson did not hold one over Forrest, and considering that... Anderson's is more impressive IMO.

No need to get so defensive over your guy... jeez. :(

lol at this troll but if they fought again it would be a close fight this time unless Shogun showed up like he did against Vera then he'd be in trouble.

huh? I thought shogun looked fairly dominant in his fight against Vera. Sure his legs may not be what they used to be, but that's from 3 knee surgerys and counting , doesn't mean he wasn't training hard enough.

Penn vs Sanchez was the greatest performance in UFC history

Nothing else compares

I disagree. Couture/Ortiz and Couture/Lidell are the best imo. Randy took on the 2 biggest names in the sport, neither of which had ever been taken down and both were on the top of their game, and he outwrestled them easily. He made them both look like Dan Hardy. Tito actually cried, and that is amazing.

I'll add my 2p.

If Shogun was going into that fight with no injury concerns and hadn't just been off the back of months out due to surgery and Bones still dominated in the same way I would have to say Yes however we know Shogun was banged up in that fight so I honestly don't know how he came to that conclusion.

Also for something to be 'widely considered', it cannot be just your own opinion. It has to be....well, widely considered. :)

Added a poll with some of the fights that you guys mentioned. The point, though, is that Jones is arrogant enough to call his own fight the greatest performance in UFC history when in actuality not many people think that it was. I'm not sure any other fighter in the world is that egotistic.

Where does he get the balls to say something like that?

It took him 3 rounds to finish Shogun and Anderson absolutely molested Forrest in a half round. He KO'd Forrest with a jab for christ sakes and Forrest had already made it to the parking lot before the 1st round should have ended.