One FC adopts full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks

JonesyUK

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30482/one-fc-eliminates-open-attack-rule-adopts-full-pride-rules-for-soccer-kicks.mma?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ONE Fighting Championship has eliminated its "open-attack" rule for soccer kicks, officials today announced.

The decision came a few days after the often-confusing rule resulted in an Andrei Arlovski vs. Tim Sylvia heavyweight contest being declared a no-contest this past weekend at ONE FC 5.

Instead, soccer kicks are now legal at all times, and the referee no longer has to distinguish when they're an option.

"Effective immediately, ONE FC has adopted full PRIDE rules for soccer kicks," the organization announced via Twitter.

The organization's next event, "ONE FC 6: Rise of the Kings," will be the first to feature the rules change. The event takes place Oct. 6 at Singapore Indoor Stadium in Singapore, and it's again expected to be available as an online pay-per-view.

The open-attack rule allowed soccer kicks to the head of a downed opponent, but only after the referee prompted a fighter that it was OK to do so. That rule first created some brutal finishes (Zorobabel Moreira over Roger Huerta at ONE FC 4 and Phil Baroni over Rodrigo Ribeiro at ONE FC 5) and then a confusing one. This past Friday at ONE FC 5, Arlovski tagged fellow ex-UFC champ Sylvia with a pair of soccer kicks to force a stoppage, but the referee hadn't declared an open attack, and the bout ultimately was ruled a no-contest.

This latest rules change won't do anything to curb the sometimes-violent nature of the blows, but it should create less confusion on the fighters' part.

Soccer kicks, though legal and popular with the now-defunct PRIDE organization, aren't permitted with the Unified Rules of MMA, which most North American promotions adhere by.

Discuss, thanx

Who wants to bet they offer Fedor a ton of money to come out of retirement and fight for them? PRIDE version 2.0

Definitely can see that happening, Old School Fedor.

The bigger picture tho, if MMA wants to continue to grow, these rules only hinder that.

I agree' date=' but at the same time part of me likes the PRIDE nostalgia feel they're going for.[/quote']

I understand the appeal to old school fans, I am purely looking at the bigger picture.

Will make One FC a lot of money tho, not sure how long it will last but they are filling a need for the Pride diehards like yourself by doing so.

If they want to grow as an organisation' date=' it will never happen. plus, the MMA world would get a lot smaller if they allowed Soccer kicks and stumps to come back[/quote']

Its only the western markets that will have a problem with it (have you seen some of the **** on the eastern TV!!!), and I think they are really only interested in the Eastern markets along with the die-hard western fans who will pay to watch online.

Will interesting to know how many bought the last event...

But back to them being primarily after the eastern market, there are more people per square inch of land in the east than there is in the west. The eastern economies are also outgrowing the western economies, so you could argue that One FC have got it right for where the world/market is headed...

I also dont think the Brazil and the other south american countries will have much of a problem with soccer kicks

Its only the western markets that will have a problem with it (have you seen some of the **** on the eastern TV!!!)' date=' and I think they are really only interested in the Eastern markets along with the die-hard western fans who will pay to watch online.

Will interesting to know how many bought the last event...

But back to them being primarily after the eastern market, there are more people per square inch of land in the east than there is in the west. The eastern economies are also outgrowing the western economies, so you could argue that One FC have got it right for where the world/market is headed...

I also dont think the Brazil and the other south american countries will have much of a problem with soccer kicks[/quote']

I appreciate what you are saying, it is market driven but the images will be world wide and the casual fan dosent want to see that and many will be put off MMA because of images of Soccers Kicks. Just the way it is unfortunately, I don't personally want to see them but wouldnt have a problem with them if they were included. many would have a problem, thats all.

I am aware the market needs at the moment and said that already and they will make some money in the short term.

just my concerns and my concerns mean nothing in reality and wont change anything I know. :D

I don't think they should allow it at all tbh.

Im cool with the unified rules as they are except i think knees should be allowed to an opponent on thier knees or that stupid three points down rule. i.e. opponent is standing and leans over and puts a hand down so they can't be knee'd to the head.

I would even be for knees to the head from modified scarfhold but not when your hips are squared or from normal side control, north/south or the sprawl/turtle position

I don't think they should allow it at all tbh.

Im cool with the unified rules as they are except i think knees should be allowed to an opponent on thier knees or that stupid three points down rule. i.e. opponent is standing and leans over and puts a hand down so they can't be knee'd to the head.

I would even be for knees to the head from modified scarfhold but not when your hips are squared or from normal side control' date=' north/south or the sprawl/turtle position[/quote']

The 'no knees to a downed opponent' is the rule I don't like the most. Completely pointless and favours LnP wrestlers

I might start getting into ONE FC now' date=' they have some decent fighters signing up and the PRIDE rules are pretty cool, glad they fully committed to them instead of that pathetic rule they had in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rampage signs over there after he finishes his UFC contract.[/quote']

Im actually getting pretty interested myself