Why did Dana, close the door on Diaz vs Silva again?

megaman

Dana White quote:

"No. No. Alright, so, you lost at 170 lbs. to Carlos Condit, you were fighting for a shot at the 170 lb. title. Losing at 170 does not give you the opportunity to fight the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world at 185 lbs. You know, would Nick Diaz against Anderson Silva be fun and interesting and whatever? Absolutely. Any time Nick Diaz or Anderson Silva steps in there, it's fun and exciting. It just makes no sense in any universe."

I just remembered this right now...

Why was he so keen in putting Sonnen in there with JBJ then?

Yes Sonnen was going to "save" the event, but if you don't think it's a good thing to let this happen, why should your employee (JBJ), agree to something you yourself don't believe in?

My answer still applies.

It's money they would be losing and at the end of the day' date=' the UFC is a business. Dana cares about the $ before anything else.[/quote']

Wait what would they lose money with a Diaz v Silva fight?

My answer still applies.

It's money they would be losing and at the end of the day' date=' the UFC is a business. Dana cares about the $ before anything else.[/quote']

Oh ok...

That's what I've been saying all along, it was Dana who put the blame on JBJ beacuse he would lose money if the fight (especially the entire card), was cancelled and yet here he is saying that the same situation doesn't apply if it's Diaz vs Silva again, simply beacuse he would lose money (Silva losing or Diaz losing would be tough on the fighter's appeal).

Dana will change his tune all the time if it means he'll make more money.

Oh ok...

That's what I've been saying all along' date=' it was Dana who put the blame on JBJ beacuse he would lose money if the fight (especially the entire card), was cancelled and yet here he is saying that the same situation doesn't apply if it's Diaz vs Silva again, simply beacuse he would lose money (Silva losing or Diaz losing would be tough on the fighter's appeal).

Dana will change his tune all the time if it means getting the money rolling.[/quote']

Diaz already lost to Condit, while i think that fight was meaningless, he still lost his win streak and was technically outstruck by the Greg Jackson prodigy.

No' date=' it doesn't make sense though.

Jones vs. Sonnen was a last ditch effort to save an event. It's not like they planned that fight to happen.[/quote']

How much would Diaz v Silva sell? 1 mil plus buy ppv. Why would they not do this? The fight would be all sorts of Epic... who cares if he hasn't earned it, put on big fights the fans want and your company will thrive.

Because Dana likes fighters that are willing to hype up their fights. Sonnen is the master of doing exactly that. Diaz can barely string together a coherent sentence and ducks the press conferences like Jones ducked Sonnen.:D

It's true that Diaz has an anti-social personality' date=' but we need to give him credit where credit is due. He is arguably in the top 3 pound for pound best fighters in the world and he would definitely bring the fight. Most of the recent title shots in every weight class have been both fighters trying 'not to lose'. With Diaz you're guaranteed that he would come in to submit or knock his opponent out, regardless of who it is and what weight class. Diaz is a true Gracie, he'll fight anyone, any size, any time, any where and that is exactly what this fan wants and this sport needs.[/size']

No' date=' it doesn't make sense though.

Jones vs. Sonnen was a last ditch effort to save an event. It's not like they planned that fight to happen.[/quote']

But by Dana's standards that doesn't make sense in this universe.

And it doesn't actually, he's right, I mean Sonnen vs Jones of course, Diaz vs Silva would be good beacuse it wouldn't be a title fight and he is coming off a controversial loss, Dana doesn't want to do it beacuse he would lose money if one of those fighters gets beat.

How much would Diaz v Silva sell? 1 mil plus buy ppv. Why would they not do this? The fight would be all sorts of Epic... who cares if he hasn't earned it' date=' put on big fights the fans want and your company will thrive.[/quote']

Absolutely Cole1186, This fight would be Epic and the PPV would be at an all time high. Let's make this fight happen.

But by Dana's standards that doesn't make sense in this universe.

And it doesn't actually' date=' he's right, I mean Sonnen vs Jones of course, Diaz vs Silva would be good beacuse it wouldn't be a title fight and he is coming off a controversial loss, Dana doesn't want to do it beacuse he would lose money if one of those fighters gets beat.[/quote']

First of all that's a cowards way of looking at it, that's the definition of protecting a fighter(s).

Second there would be no serious lose of money when one of them lost. and let's face it Silva wouldn't lose.

First of all that's a cowards way of looking at it' date=' that's the definition of protecting a fighter(s).

Second there would be no serious lose of money when one of them lost. and let's face it Silva wouldn't lose.[/quote']

I'm all for Silva vs Diaz I think it would be a great fight as long as the title wasn't on the line (Diaz said he didn't want to fight for the title btw, he said it wasn't respectful to the rest of the division which is 100% right).

Dana's protecting the UFC, but let's face it, Sonnen was going to be the sacrificial lamb and Sonnen loves that, even in defeat, he would bypass an entire division inclunding all the dangerous top 5'ers who are always getting wins over each other and can barely put together a 2 fight win streak.

Unfortunately Dana's plans went down the ******* when JBJ delined the sacrificial lamb, so guess who's going to be Dana's next espace goat?

The guy who "ducked" Sonnen now he's to blame for the events cancellation.

I'm all for Silva vs Diaz I think it would be a great fight as long as the title wasn't on the line (Diaz said he didn't want to fight for the title btw' date=' he said it wasn't respectful to the rest of the division which is 100% right).

Dana's protecting the UFC, but let's face it, Sonnen was going to be the sacrificial lamb and Sonnen loves that, even in defeat, he would bypass an entire division inclunding all the dangerous top 5'ers who are always getting wins over each other and can barely put together a 2 fight win streak.

Unfortunately Dana's plans went down the ******* when JBJ delined the sacrificial lamb, so guess who's going to be Dana's next espace goat?

The guy who "ducked" Sonnen now he's to blame for the events cancellation.[/quote']

Yeah what you said is true. However JBJ should of took the sacrificial lamb and looked forward to his next fight (cause he would've crushed Sonnen who was ill prepared). But he didn't and he probably thought that what always happened to cards before that lost their main event would occur, namely that they continue without it but 151 was a terrible card that relied on one fight to sell it. So he f'd up and his choice had more consequence than he thought.

It's true that Diaz has an anti-social personality' date=' but we need to give him credit where credit is due. He is arguably in the top 3 pound for pound best fighters in the world and he would definitely bring the fight. Most of the recent title shots in every weight class have been both fighters trying 'not to lose'. With Diaz you're guaranteed that he would come in to submit or knock his opponent out, regardless of who it is and what weight class. Diaz is a true Gracie, he'll fight anyone, any size, any time, any where and that is exactly what this fan wants and this sport needs.[/size']

Absolutely awesome post ^^^

Read and learn fellas

You need to post more Bear

Yeah what you said is true. However JBJ should of took the sacrificial lamb and looked forward to his next fight (cause he would've crushed Sonnen who was ill prepared). But he didn't and he probably thought that what always happened to cards before that lost their main event would occur' date=' namely that they continue without it but 151 was a terrible card that relied on one fight to sell it. So he f'd up and his choice had more consequence than he thought.[/quote']

Him being ill prepared is very debatable, he was more prepared for Jones than Jones was for him, he knew Hendo got hurt at least three weeks before anyone else and he trained with Hendo all this time for Hendo's fight with JBJ.

Maybe that's the reason Jackson told him this would be really dumb, if I was JBJ I would listen to Jackson who coached him into being the youngest champion in UFC history and so many other things.

Him being ill prepared is very debatable' date=' he was more prepared for Jones than Jones was for him, he knew Hendo got hurt at least three weeks before anyone else and he trained with Hendo all this time for Hendo's fight with JBJ.[/quote']

Still think JBJ could take him but I get it, it is a valid point; however, as a champion some times you got to just fight a guy even if you're at a big disadvantage cause you are the champion. Still, right or wrong, it left him open for the attacks he is getting now and he will have to take Sonnen on sooner or later. (Sonnen is relentless in his trash talking plus he is a big draw.)

Still think JBJ could take him but I get it' date=' it is a valid point; however, as a champion some times you got to just fight a guy even if you're at a big disadvantage cause you are the champion. Still, right or wrong, it left him open for the attacks he is getting now and he will have to take Sonnen on sooner or later. (Sonnen is relentless in his trash talking plus he is a big draw.)[/quote']

Yeah I also believe that since the fight was brought up he should've just taken it, although IMO he had everything to lose and nothing to gain.

My problem however, is that a fight so ridiculous shouldn't even be brought up in the first place, there were two other challengers they didn't want to take the fight, that's it scrap the fight they've done it before...

Diaz isn't even top 5 p4p, and there is no argument that could possibly put him there.

See, I can use giant bold font too.:P

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Nah, that's nowhere near as dumb as the people trying to convince us that GSP isn't gay.

If you're still wondering why Dana was going to let Sonnen fight JBJ, think back to TUF - whenever somebody showed Dana that they really wanted a fight, they got it. But that really validates the OP's point - Diaz wanted Silva, and Silva wanted Diaz. So why would Dana do a complete 180 on this fight? Even if you think Silva would dominate the fight (which most people do), both fighters wanted it, and the PPV numbers would probably be the highest ever (no pun intended....kinda).

Nah' date=' that's nowhere near as dumb as the people trying to convince us that GSP isn't gay.

If you're still wondering why Dana was going to let Sonnen fight JBJ, think back to TUF - whenever somebody showed Dana that they really wanted a fight, they got it. But that really validates the OP's point - Diaz wanted Silva, and Silva wanted Diaz. So why would Dana do a complete 180 on this fight? Even if you think Silva would dominate the fight (which most people do), both fighters wanted it, and the PPV numbers would probably be the highest ever (no pun intended....kinda).[/quote']

great post! Clever pun too ;)

Nah' date=' that's nowhere near as dumb as the people trying to convince us that GSP isn't gay.

If you're still wondering why Dana was going to let Sonnen fight JBJ, think back to TUF - whenever somebody showed Dana that they really wanted a fight, they got it. But that really validates the OP's point - Diaz wanted Silva, and Silva wanted Diaz. So why would Dana do a complete 180 on this fight? Even if you think Silva would dominate the fight (which most people do), both fighters wanted it, and the PPV numbers would probably be the highest ever (no pun intended....kinda).[/quote']

Dana only cares about two things: making money and covering his tracks when he does something stupid (which isn't often I'll gve you that, but when he does? Oh man! He starts firing on all fronts trying to blame someone).

Dana has done the exact same thing in the 145 card, also headlined by Jones.

He had Rory vs Che in the co main, if the main fight got scrapped that would've been or main event or quite possibly the event would've just get cancelled.

Let's face it, if the UFC doesn't stop scamming the fans with this "one good fight in an entire card" BS this will happen time and time again.

Dana only cares about two things: making money and covering his tracks when he does something stupid (which isn't often I'll gve you that' date=' but when he does he starts firring on all fronts trying to blame someone).

Dana has done the exact same thing in the 145 card, also headlined by Jones.

He had Rory vs Che in the co main, if the main fight got scrapped that would've been or main event quite possibly the event would get cancelled.

[b']Let's face it, if the UFC doesn't stop scamming the fans with this "one good fight in an entire card" BS this will happen time and time again[/b].

You messed up a lil there, of course if the UFC doesn't stop scamming fans with one good fight per card it will still happen over and over! :P

I think you mean if the UFC doesn't stop scamming fans with one good fight per card people will stop buying/watching the UFC all together.

You messed up a lil there' date=' of course if the UFC doesn't stop scamming fans with one good fight per card it will still happen over and over! :P

I think you mean if the UFC doesn't stop scamming fans with one good fight per card people will stop buying/watching the UFC all together.[/quote']

I meant to say the cards getting cancelled, that's what will still happen.

I meant to say the cards getting cancelled' date=' that's what will still happen.[/quote']

151 was the first card canceled, I think they've learned their lesson after that debacle.

Hopefully no more one good fight per card BS from here on out.

151 was the first card canceled' date=' I think they've learned their lesson after that debacle.

Hopefully no more one good fight per card BS from here on out.[/quote']

It will happen again, because they are having so many free cards in between their PPV's. They just don't have enough big names to put 2-3 marketable fights on every card.