The top 10 jiu-jitsu players in mma

BUDDHASPORT

With the UFC being home to most of the men on this list, let me know what you guys think!!!

#10- Paul Sass- Ladies and gentleman, Paul Sass is a submission machine. At a perfect 13-0, Sass has won 12 of those matches by way of submission. His specialty is the triangle choke, which is why his nickname is “sassangle”.

#9- Shinya Aoki- The gogoplata, neck crank, hammerlock, flying triangle choke, and heel hook are submission holds that the DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki has used to terrorize his opponents. Looking at this list of maneuvers, one can clearly see why Shinya Aoki may be the most creative submission expert in the sport.

#8- Rousimar Palhares- Rousimar Palhares is perhaps the most devastating submission artist that the UFC's middleweight division has ever seen. His leg locks engender fear in almost everyone, and over 70% of his wins have came via submission. Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention that fact that, in 2011, Palhares won a silver medal in the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship.

#7-Ronda Rousey- Ronda Rousey is the best female grappler in mixed martial arts. Her armbar has become one of the most feared weapons in the sport. Once Rousey gets her opponents to the ground (and that seems to be inevitable), that's all she wrote.

#6 Nate Diaz- The Diaz brothers are analogous to the Manning brothers in the NFL. Nate is the younger brother who is beginning to be viewed to be just as good, if not better, than his older brother Nick. Nate Diaz has made more lightweights tap out than any other man on the Zuffa payroll. His spot on this list was cemented in brutal fashion, on UFC on FOX 3, when he submitted a very accomplished black belt in Jim Miller (a man who I was strongly considered putting on this list). When the guillotine was slapped on Jim Miller, he nearly bit off his own tongue.

Full List Here

here's the rest of the list if you didn't feel like clicking:

http://www.buddhasport.com/mma/article/2012-09-03/top-10-jiu-jitsu-players-mma

#5- Fabricio Werdum- Fabricio Werdum is the most decorated submission expert in mma's heavyweight division; he is a 5 time world jiu-jitsu champion. His finest moment in mma came as a result of his jiu-jitsu expertise. On June 26, 2010, Werdum skyrocketed his career by becoming the only man to ever submit Fedor Emelianenko. I call it “the triangle choke heard 'round the world.”

#4 Frank Mir- Okay, if you have the most submissions in the history of the UFC heavyweight division you should probably be on the list; Frank Mir is the man that holds that esteemed record. Perhaps, just as important as that record is the fact that he is the owner of the greatest submission in the history of mixed martial arts. At UFC 140, a half conscience Frank Mir slapped a kimura on fellow submission expert Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira that actually broke his arm. Many analysts felt that Nogueira would never be submitted in his career.

#3- Robert Drysdale- Some mma fans may be unfamiliar with Robert Drysdale, but anyone who is a jiu-jitsu enthusiast knows this man. He is undefeated in his mixed martial arts career, having submitted all of his opponents within 3 minutes. Not to mention the fact that he is a 6x world champion (including winning the prestigious ADCC tournament), and he has coached the aforementioned Frank Mir for years.

#2 Vinny Magalhaes- Former TUF finalist Vinny Magalhaes is also the 2011 ADCC world champion, competing at the 99 kg and over division; he defeated Fabricio Werdum to receive this honor. Magalhaes was the former M-1 Global light heavyweight champion, but he relinquished his belt, and is now on his way back to the UFC. The black belt 2nd degree is also the head jiu-jitsu instructor at the famed Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts.

#1 Roger Gracie- Many people feel Roger Gracie is not only the best pound for pound jiu-jitsu practitioner in mixed martial arts, but the best grappler in the world. He is a 14x world champion, and the best in the Gracie clan. Roger Gracie has won 80% of his victories via submission, and is close to receiving a title shot in Strikeforce.

Honorable Mentions—Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, Givanildo “The Arm Collector” Santana, B.J. Penn, Nick Diaz, Jake Shields , Demian Maia, Josh Barnett, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Jim Miller, Dan Miller, Rani Yahya, Bryan Caraway, Urijah Faber, Renan Barao, Mark Bocek, Javier Vasquez, Megumi Fujii

Werdum hasn't had a sub for 2+ years (Only had 3 subs in the last 6 years) and has became a striker yet still made the list.

Valid point and it is the top ten jiu-jitsu players in mma. Submission is only a part of the jiu-jitsu game. Maia may not be quite as sharp as he once was focusing more on other aspects but he's still one the best.

Braulio Estima can now be added to this list as well since he made his debut and he's a super elite level jitz player.

he might be a perm member for subbing Fedor .. kinda like the UN Security Council

He's always top notch. He wins or damn near wins ADCC every year he competes.

Werdum is the #1 BJJ HW and has been for quite a while.

Fedor wouldn't even make it past the first round at ADCC. Hell i'd be surprized if he got past the trails just to make it in.

"In this article we will look at the 10 mixed martial artists who have been most successful using jiu-jitsu in their mma careers"

Roger number 1?????? he has 6 total fights total in MMA and only 4 submissions got knocked out once and drew a decision against Jardine...honestly shouldnt have even been on the top 10 if they are judging it out of MMA success... therees hundreds of other people that have 4-10 times more submissions in MMA than he has fights...

"In this article we will look at the 10 mixed martial artists who have been most successful using jiu-jitsu in their mma careers"

Roger number 1?????? he has 6 total fights total in MMA and only 4 submissions got knocked out once and drew a decision against Jardine...honestly shouldnt have even been on the top 10 if they are judging it out of MMA success... therees hundreds of other people that have 4-10 times more submissions in MMA than he has fights...

?? He raped Jardine with his grappling.

?? He raped Jardine with his grappling.

my bad i didnt mean drew a decision as in got lucky or anything or it was BS...im just saying sub keith jardine's *** after getting ktfo if your that talented then maybe you can get on a top 10 list for MMA success with under 10 fights total

and im surprised more people arent saying "hes fighting cans cuz hes not in the UFC" before even talking bout MMA success

4/6 isn't bad at all and again jiu-jitsu isn't just about who gets the most submissions.

Jake Shields has a very good top game and doesn't have a ton of submissions. He's been pretty sucessful using jiu-jitsu in mma.

4/6 isn't bad at all and again jiu-jitsu isn't just about who gets the most submissions.

Jake Shields has a very good top game and doesn't have a ton of submissions. He's been pretty sucessful using jiu-jitsu in mma.

it is when you are judging success in MMA when you have honoroable mentions listed below Barnett(17 submissions), Nog(20 subs), Megumi Fujii(19 never submitted), hell you mentioned shields(10 submissions) has ore submissions than Roger has fights.souza(12 never submited)..i know Roger's pure BJJ is incredible and probably some of the best on the planet but that doesnt mean he gets a free #1 spot after 4 submissions in MMA

it is when you are judging success in MMA when you have honoroable mentions listed below Barnett(17 submissions)' date=' Nog(20 subs), Megumi Fujii(19 never submitted), hell you mentioned shields(10 submissions) has ore submissions than Roger has fights.souza(12 never submited)..i know Roger's pure BJJ is incredible and probably some of the best on the planet but that doesnt mean he gets a free #1 spot after 4 submissions in MMA[/quote']

What are thier percentages though and against whom? Roger is a little over 66%. That's pretty good and he is a probably the best BJJ guy in mma right now. Megumi Fujii is very high too but i don't think even if we did some sort of pound for pound type comparison that she's better than Roger in skill.

I don't necessarily think percentages are the end all be all either but i do think he deserves a top 5 spot at the very least.

Again i say it isn't all about submissions but I see what you're saying though. It's all opinion based anyway and there's only ten spots.

Jacare ?

Definitely deserves mention

This. Maia's bjj has become insanely over rated

:eek: This is crazy talk. If you are talking about submissions in mma then put Jon Jones on the list too. Demian Maia was a beast when he was competeing in BJJ and would still be a beast if competeing now. Once people figured out his game and he stopped using his BJJ he had problems in mma. If I have a school competing at Mundial I want Demian Maia on my team...... Honorable mention? :mad: .....And the best BJJ player to compete in mma is Marcelo Garcia :cool:

He's always top notch. He wins or damn near wins ADCC every year he competes.

Werdum is the #1 BJJ HW and has been for quite a while.

Fedor wouldn't even make it past the first round at ADCC. Hell i'd be surprized if he got past the trails just to make it in.

Makes you realise how good Vinny Magalhaes is.

I'm looking forward to hit return, he's a beast on the ground.

:eek: This is crazy talk. If you are talking about submissions in mma then put Jon Jones on the list too. Demian Maia was a beast when he was competeing in BJJ and would still be a beast if competeing now. Once people figured out his game and he stopped using his BJJ he had problems in mma. If I have a school competing at Mundial I want Demian Maia on my team...... Honorable mention? :mad: .....And the best BJJ player to compete in mma is Marcelo Garcia :cool:

Not to compete in MMA but who competes in mma at this moment