How much of a difference does the 10 minute round make?

RogerJones620

I was watching some old Pride fights and started wondering how much of a difference having a 10 minute round would make? It seems like this system would favor who ever won the first round heavily? Or were all rounds scored evenly?

Also was there typically less stalling in a ten minute round? It's hard to imagine one where nothing happened (I've seen this in a lot of first rounds in the UFC lol).

I was watching some old Pride fights and started wondering how much of a difference having a 10 minute round would make? It seems like this system would favor who ever won the first round heavily? Or were all rounds scored evenly?

Also was there typically less stalling in a ten minute round? It's hard to imagine one where nothing happened (I've seen this in a lot of first rounds in the UFC lol).

It certainly favours grapplers, gives them a lot more time to work for subs!

It seems like this system would favor who ever won the first round heavily? Or were all rounds scored evenly?

I think Pride judged the fight as a whole, rather than by rounds. I'm not really sure how you'd judge what effect the 10-minute round had, without asking the fighters themselves.

It certainly favours grapplers' date=' gives them a lot more time to work for subs![/quote']

i think it would work against them more honestly, once fighters get sweaty and slippery its much harder to secure a submission and maintain position...

I think Pride judged the fight as a whole' date=' rather than by rounds. I'm not really sure how you'd judge what effect the 10-minute round had, without asking the fighters themselves.[/quote']

i believe the 10 minute first round was to give incentive for fighters to finish the fight early or at least go for the finish as much as possible(that was a judging criteria in PRIDE). basically they wanted the fighters to think the sooner i get this done the easier its gonna be with a 10 minute round because gassing/ losing striking power was more likely late in the round obviously.