UFC: St-Pierre vs. Silva super fight expected at 180 pounds, in Cowboys Stadium

KingPudge

If UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) returns from a 19-month injury layoff and can defeat interim titleholder Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) during an expected UFC 154 clash in November, one of the biggest fights in UFC history could be up next.

As expected, UFC President Dana White said it'll be against middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC).

It's close enough to reality that White has a weight (180 pounds) and venue (105,000-seat Cowboys Stadium) in mind for the super fight.

"I think we're pretty close," White said Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight." "If Georges St-Pierre beats Condit, that could be the next fight.

"These guys want to fight each other now. If you're a fighter and you've dominated as long as Anderson has, and you've been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, 'I want to test myself. I think I can beat this guy.'"

The cross-division super fight was once the biggest fight imaginable. Light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones' quick rise has complicated matters, though few of the involved parties currently seem interested in a Silva vs. Jones fight.

Still, St-Pierre vs. Silva has epic possibilities. While St-Pierre previously said such a fight would require him to move up to the middleweight division permanently ? and though Silva has hinted at the possibility of moving down to welterweight ? White believes they'd meet on middle ground.

"They'll probably do the fight at 180 (pounds)," he said. "At one point, it sounded like Anderson wanted to go to 170. He wanted to take Georges' welterweight title. Then it was 180, the catch weight, because Georges doesn't want to go to '85. Georges said, 'If I have to make a move to go to '85, I'd have to stay at '85.' So we figured a 180-pound catch weight makes sense.

"If that fight happens, it will probably happen at Dallas' Texas Stadium."

That, of course, would set the stage for a potentially record-breaking show. The UFC held its first ? and to date, only ? stadium show in April 2011 at Toronto's Rogers Centre. St-Pierre headlined UFC 129 opposite Jake Shields, and fellow Canadian and featherweight title challenger Mark Hominick met champ Jose Aldo in the co-headliner. The event shattered UFC and North American MMA records for attendance (55,724) and gate ($12.1 million).

I'm not so sure that silva/gsp is the ultimate superfight anymore. Jones just seems to have much more attention and domination on his recent resume that gsp/silva is not the fight to determine the consensus p4p number 1. Still, I'm ridiculously excited for this fight and this is as close as we ever got in the UFC to a legendary fight that will crossover to the mainstream

Anderson by brutal 1 punch KO or by submission ( strikes) round 1. The only questing is who is going to grease up more before hand.

Greg Jackson corner bathing GSP in grease>Anderson wiping some off his face then on the body.

I think we can safely say GSP will be slipping around the octagon like a wet fish or he gets put outcold fast.

Greg Jackson corner bathing GSP in grease>Anderson wiping some off his face then on the body.

I think we can safely say GSP will be slipping around the octagon like a wet fish or he gets put outcold fast.

lol, I just pictured GSP getting KO'd and his body gliding from the middle of the octagon back to his corner from all the grease. I'd pay tens of dollars to see this.

I got fitty bucks sayin' the p.i.m.p from Canada gonna send Silva packin ye dig..

GSP-pimp.jpg

lmao

But seriously, GSP would get mirked inside 2 rounds. No way he can stand with Silva and his top game can't be stronger than Sonnens. He has nothing to offer.

lmao

But seriously' date=' GSP would get mirked inside 2 rounds. No way he can stand with Silva and his top game can't be stronger than Sonnens. He has nothing to offer.[/quote']

well GSP's LnP is pretty good and his sub defense is good well. GSP not being triangled means his top game is inherently > than Sonnens.

GSP doesn't have the ability to get Silva to the ground though so his top game won't matter while he's eating Silva's fists.

^ this and Sonnen is a lot heavier and stronger than GSP and clearly has been working a lot more off his back in training. St Pierre would inflict no damage on the ground, Silva would get back to his feet or reverse him.

Once they get back up Silva would grab his shorts and punch him in the mouth and thats a big "if" he could get him there in first place.

GSP doesn't have the ability to get Silva to the ground though so his top game won't matter while he's eating Silva's fists.

GSP is a beast at 170. He absolutely has the strength and technique to take Silva down. And that is what he will have to do because SIlva's striking is better. Plus GSP's overall skill at putting it all together in the ring is far superior to Sonnen's.

GSP is a beast at 170. He absolutely has the strength and technique to take Silva down. And that is what he will have to do because SIlva's striking is better. Plus GSP's overall skill at putting it all together in the ring is far superior to Sonnen's.

C'mon son.

308cphh.gif

lol' date=' there is no way GSP has better technique than Silva in any area than wrasslin.[/quote']

I meant better technique than Sonnen. Sonnen is a wrestler in the cage, GSP is a complete mixed martial artist that has the ability to put it all together very well. Like all elite fighters can.

Silva will probably win but it should be good while it lasts.

I meant better technique than Sonnen. Sonnen is a wrestler in the cage' date=' GSP is a complete mixed martial artist that has the ability to put it all together very well. Like all elite fighters can.

Silva will probably win but it should be good while it lasts.[/quote']

I agree. Silva will easily KO him and I will laugh. Mostly because I'm mad since GSP is stylin on me.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc2v_jhXHhAHMbFDZOjiyo5DLGnKU5VsYc2qYve1hhCTP45TDz

Thanks to OP of this photo, made my day.

Can't help but feel like this fight is just destined to never happen. Like Fedor/Lesnar' date=' [/b']too good to be true.

I agree because watching Lesnars amateur 2nd grade striking was just as entertaining as watching the 2 actual best fighters who know what they are doing fight..............:rolleyes:

Can't help but feel like this fight is just destined to never happen. Like Fedor/Lesnar' date=' too good to be true.[/quote']

Wow...comparing fedor and Lesnar to this fight is crazy. Lesnar is not a mix martial artist. He's a wrestler with KO punching power. Very one sided because Fedor would kill Lesnar. Silva vs GSP is real MMA.

Wow...comparing fedor and Lesnar to this fight is crazy. Lesnar is not a mix martial artist. He's a wrestler with KO punching power. Very one sided because Fedor would kill Lesnar. Silva vs GSP is real MMA.

He doesn't have KO power. He TKO'd Randy but that was probably more due to exhaustion than anything else and I could do that Mir's face if I punched100 times without him being able to fight back.

All of this just told me one thing. Bet money on GSP Over Condit..

If this goes to decision' date=' you know who's winning. Vested interest just screams throwing money on GSP here. 100 bucks says Cecil Peoples is judging as well.[/quote']

Maybe I have thought this after some decisions in the past but wouldn't Diaz have won the Condit fight no matter what in that case?

YES!!! This fight is now getting serious. DW would not come out and talk about it in tht kind of depth if the fight wasn't seriously being talked about.

Silva>GSP

no its not getting serious lol

Dana said it would happen if Anderson beat Vitor and GSP beat Shields.....never happened

Carlos is ok,but NO WAY is he the kind of ONE FIGHT that will have GSP fight ready for Silva.

We are talking what over 2 years before it would happen and the ONLY fight GSP would have had in that time is Carlos Condit.

If you were going to poll 10,000 fans who they thought would be a good warm up fight for Silva,you would not see Carlos name anywhere on the list.

Here is the little secret about Silva...he is very smart.

I said it before that is really amazing how he has remained in the UFC so long and never faced any wrestling..I am sure he has worked with the UFC to make this happen,the same way he all of a sudden does not want Weidman.

I remember about 2 years ago,maybe it was 3,SOARES said and i quote "it would not be a fair fight,Silva is walking around at 223 lbs.Then all of a sudden GSP gets injured and the Silva call outs start happening.You know why?You guessed it he sees a very good wrestler in Weidman,he favors the smaller rusty GSP.

I am sure most know that Silva did not want either of the Sonnen fights and the second one he flat turned down.What was his excuse,couldn't sell that fight either?********,Silva plain and simple picks his spots.He knows GSP has no reach and no real stand up to offer any threat to Silva.He figures GSP's wrestling will be rusty and GSP has got away from it,case in point the Shield's fight and the KOS fight.

Carlos is ok' date='but NO WAY is he the kind of ONE FIGHT that will have GSP fight ready for Silva.

We are talking what over 2 years before it would happen and the ONLY fight GSP would have had in that time is Carlos Condit.

If you were going to poll 10,000 fans who they thought would be a good warm up fight for Silva,you would not see Carlos name anywhere on the list.

Here is the little secret about Silva...he is very smart.

I said it before that is really amazing how he has remained in the UFC so long and never faced any wrestling..I am sure he has worked with the UFC to make this happen,the same way he all of a sudden does not want Weidman.

I remember about 2 years ago,maybe it was 3,SOARES said and i quote "it would not be a fair fight,Silva is walking around at 223 lbs.Then all of a sudden GSP gets injured and the Silva call outs start happening.You know why?You guessed it he sees a very good wrestler in Weidman,he favors the smaller rusty GSP.

I am sure most know that Silva did not want either of the Sonnen fights and the second one he flat turned down.What was his excuse,couldn't sell that fight either?********,Silva plain and simple picks his spots.He knows GSP has no reach and no real stand up to offer any threat to Silva.He figures GSP's wrestling will be rusty and GSP has got away from it,case in point the Shield's fight and the KOS fight.[/quote']

:confused:........... you actually posted something decent.