Chris Weidman Will Likely Fight Again Before Possibly Receiving Title Shot

KingPudge

As close as it seemed Chris Weidman was to a title shot following his win over Mark Munoz back in July, he may have to fight at least one more time before getting a crack at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

Weidman has been very vocal over the past weeks since his fight with Munoz on his goal of facing Silva for the middleweight title as soon as possible.

Unfortunately for Weidman, he got very luke warm responses from Anderson Silva and his camp in regards to their interest in that potential fight happening.

While Anderson Silva?s camp doesn?t make matches for the UFC, President Dana White does and he?s pretty sure Weidman will have to fight again before getting a shot at the belt.

?He?s going to fight,? White said when speaking to UFC Tonight on Tuesday.

White said they do have an idea for who Weidman would face next, but didn?t shut down the possibility of him getting a title shot if things fall into place.

RELATED POSTS

Alan Belcher Wants a Fight with Chris Weidman When He Returns Later This Year

What?s Next for Anderson Silva? Dana White Talks Chris Weidman and GSP

Chris Weidman: ?I Really Do Believe I Can Submit Anderson Silva?

Mark Munoz Will Call for Title Shot With Win Over Chris Weidman at UFC on Fuel 4

Frank Mir Appreciates Possibly Getting Another Title Shot (UFC 146 Video)

Right now, the UFC appears in a holding pattern waiting for the possible super fight between Anderson Silva and UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. If St-Pierre wins at UFC 154 in Montreal on Nov 17, then all roads will likely lead to a showdown with Anderson Silva in 2013.

?No (he?s not getting a title shot),? White answered. ?I mean it could happen, who knows, we?ll see what happens.?

White admitted that he didn?t want to jump ahead too fast and shut down the possibility of Weidman getting the next title shot, but with everything else that?s been said recently it?s almost a lock that Silva?s next fight is riding on what happens with St-Pierre in November.

Chris Weidman now becomes the odd-man out awaiting word on another fight or if he wants to gamble on Carlos Condit winning at UFC 154, and then throwing his name back into the hat to face Anderson Silva if that scenario plays out.

The ball appears in Chris Weidman?s court for now, but the waiting game is never a fun one for any fighter to play.

I agree with this if they're seriously considering Silva vs GSP.

I think he should fight Bisping vs Stann winner January-ish to determine # 1 contender.

What do you guys think?

I agree as well. He's in the mix but definitely not a clear cut #1 contender. Winner of Bisping vs Stann makes a lot of sense. Beating Bisping, Stann, Belcher, or Belfort would prove his claim IMO.

I agree as well. He's in the mix but definitely not a clear cut #1 contender. Winner of Bisping vs Stann makes a lot of sense. Beating Bisping' date=' Stann, Belcher, or Belfort would prove his claim IMO.[/quote']

Belcher is hurt and Belfort is going to be stuck defending the LHW title going into 2013. Should def face Stann or Bisping assuming no injuries.

If they get injured he could go and end the Boetsch hype train to get another win.

Weidman should fight Belcher. The winner of that fight the winner of Pissping/Stann. Against a top 5 or 10 fighter' date=' Weidman has looked impressive 1 ****ing time. What the **** makes him so deserving of a title shot?[/quote']

The fact that he mangled a top 5 guy. He didn't look too great against Maia but that's because he manned up and took that fight on 11 days notice without a training camp.

As I said, Belcher is injured so he takes Stann vs Bisping winner.

Weidman should fight Belcher. The winner of that fight the winner of Pissping/Stann. Against a top 5 or 10 fighter' date=' Weidman has looked impressive 1 ****ing time. What the **** makes him so deserving of a title shot?[/quote']

He may have to fight like three or four times more because Anderson is already fighting Georges in 2013 and he's only looking at superfights once a year' date=' it seems. That means if Weidman establishes himself impressively by 2014, then he can finally have his shot.[/quote']

god i hope he gets choked out he's to ****y he's trying to use the chael tactic but isn't working

These.

Wildman has less fights then Anderson has belt defenses.

These.

Wildman has less fights then Anderson has belt defenses.

How is that relevant to his ranking in the division? Anderson Silva fought once in the UFC before fighting for the title, Rich Franklin didn't make excuses on why he didn't have to fight him.

How is that relevant to his ranking in the division? Anderson Silva fought once in the UFC before fighting for the title' date=' Rich Franklin didn't make excuses on why he didn't have to fight him.[/quote']

A. Different times my man.

B. Wiedman doesn't just have 9 fights in the UFC, he has 9 total fights, total.

C. Wiedman is not a huge draw, or any draw for that matter. He literally put on 1 really good performance in his 9 total fights.

D. Silva is above his pay grade.

How is that relevant to his ranking in the division? Anderson Silva fought once in the UFC before fighting for the title' date=' Rich Franklin didn't make excuses on why he didn't have to fight him.[/quote']

Yeah, Silva fans try to discredit Weidman because they know he's a threat.

Jon Jones had 13 fights when he fought for the belt, and he was 5 years younger than Weidman.

Cain Velasquez fought Lesnar when he was 8-0 !!

The excuses are just BS

A. Different times my man.

B. Wiedman doesn't just have 9 fights in the UFC' date=' he has 9 total fights, total.

[b']C. Wiedman is not a huge draw, or any draw for that matter. He literally put on 1 really good performance in his 9 total fights.

D. Silva is above his pay grade.[/b]

This is fighting and not duck, duck, goose homie. That's irrelevant to his position in the division. The champion should fight whoever the consensus top contender is, he makes enough money off Burger King and his name is enough to sell fights as is.

What super fights are we talking here? We already agreed GSP should fight him first. Then who? Nick Diaz? That's a joke, despite how much I like Diaz. Jon Jones? They won't fight because they're "friends", even though Silva is rooting for Belfort over Jones even though he can't stand Belfort.

Weidman became the #1 contender and the next day Ed Soares was putting out a press release on why they shouldn't have to fight him. It seems Chael was right.

Yeah' date=' Silva fans try to discredit Weidman because they know he's a threat.

Jon Jones had 13 fights when he fought for the belt, and he was 5 years younger than Weidman.

The excuses are just BS[/quote']

^ this all day, errr day

Yeah' date=' Silva fans try to discredit Weidman because they know he's a threat.

The excuses are just BS[/quote']

Different situations call for different measures!

There is PLENTY of challenges for Anderson, the UFC is not in a bind, so why would they throw a young fish at an old lion?

There is PLENTY of challenges for Anderson' date=' the UFC is not in a bind, so[b'] why would they throw a young fish at an old lion?[/b]

Because Silva is number 1 and Weidman is number 2, simple as that.

I understand why Silva may want the GSP fight because it would be a much bigger draw, but there's no room for excuses about Weidman not being legit.

There is PLENTY of challenges for Anderson' date=' the UFC is not in a bind, so why would they throw a young fish at an old lion?[/quote']

Name these challenges. And try to only list people he is willing to fight.

Oh and don't say Bisping or Stann deserve a shot first. They have both lost in the last year. Winner could fight Weidman for #1 contender but they def shouldn't jump him in the rankings.

I'll give you a scenario where Weidman v Silva makes sense.

GSP won't fight Silva.

Diaz gets GSP.

Bisping gets knocked out by Stann.

Stann breaks his hand in that fight.

Belcher loses his next fight.

Vitor loses to Jones.

Hendo gets the next crack at Jones.

Lombard loses his next fight.

Boetsche gets injured.

Shields loses his next fight.

Rashad won't drop down in weight.

They can't make the Tim Kennedy fight.

Weidman wins his next fight in devastating fashion.

Then you can put together Silva v Wiedman.

There is PLENTY of challenges for Anderson' date=' the UFC is not in a bind,[b'] so why would they throw a young fish at an old lion?[/b]

Like when a 46 year old Couture took on Lesner who had an impressive resume of 2-1.

Furthermore, Couture was more active in his mid 40's than Silva is at 38. That's atrocious.

GSP won't fight Silva. - He probably won't.

Diaz gets GSP. - He probably will.

Bisping gets knocked out by Stann. - He might. Still irrelevent' date=' he'll be on a 1 fight winning streak.

Stann breaks his hand in that fight. He'll be on a 2 fight winning streak.

Belcher loses his next fight.- Belcher is out injured right now.

Vitor loses to Jones.- He isn't in contention and would pull out of the fight due to injury anyway

Hendo gets the next crack at Jones.- He's not fighting at middleweight anymore.

Lombard loses his next fight.- He will. If he doesn't, 1 fight win streak.

Boetsche gets injured.- He is injured and not a contender as far as I'm concearned.

Shields loses his next fight.- Shields is a can.

Rashad won't drop down in weight.- He already said he won't

They can't make the Tim Kennedy fight. - They can't, he's in strike force.

Weidman wins his next fight in devastating fashion.- He will

Then you can put together Silva v Wiedman.[/quote']

We're done here, you either don't know anything about MMA and the current status quo at middle weight or just want Silva to fight any and everyone to duck Weidman.

GSP won't fight Silva.

Diaz gets GSP.

Vitor loses to Jones.

Boetsche gets injured.

tumblr_m8rbdxEJu91r6dv7t.gif

GSP won't fight Silva.

Diaz gets GSP.

Vitor loses to Jones.

Boetsche gets injured.

This is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. Ever

Of course' date=' [b']Silva does anything he can to avoid real threats[/b], and Weidemann doesn't even have a big reputation, so there's no reward, just risk.

his fan's too. Before that horribly late stoppage even happened they were on here making excuses why Weidman shouldn't get a shot.

We're done here' date=' you either don't know anything about MMA and the current status quo at middle weight or just want Silva to fight any and everyone to duck Weidman.[/quote']

lol

This is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. Ever

You're welcome, sir

People think the Jones ordeal was bad ,how about Silva-Weidman??

The obvious can happen,what if Weidman just keeps on winning,can Silva keep making the same excuse?So Weidman goes 20-0 and Silva says no this is my organization ,i make the rules,and i say no because i can't get paid fighting Chris.

I bet if Silva called Chris ,Chrissy it would be ON !

Ya but then Sonnen would just hit his Dana hotline and ask to step in because god knows he will never earn his way up there.