Why do you think Machida didn't take the title shot vs. Jones

Sisti

I basically have 2 theories on why Machida turned the fight down

His dad advised him against it. It seems like he respects his dad a lot and kind of goes with what his dad's opinion is without questioning it. I think this is a strong possibility of why he turned down the chance

He feels that his chances of beating Jones are too slim to risk his status of being one of the greats. Machida has an amazing record and has so many wins over big names that he may not want to tarnish that by being known as the obvious number 2 guy in LHW. He may just be smart enough to know that winning this fight is going to take a lot of hard work and doesn't want to squander his possible last chance at Jones

Anyways, I think this is a more important topic than why Jones turned down the fight with Sonnen. Jones had all the reason in the world to turn that one down, Sonnen was a bully and disrespectful and he told Sonnen directly that he would not talk his way to a title shot. Why would he reward someone that is nasty and a bully and did nothing at all to deserve a shot at the belt?

I'm more interseted to know why Machida would turn down a LHW shot when he is ultimately looking to get the belt back

Unlike Jones who could have continued the training camp he was already doing, Machida hadn't been training at all. And considering Machida has already lost to Jones once, a second loss would more or less guarantee that he would never get another title shot again. So he wanted to make sure he was as prepared as possible for the fight.

Jones on the other hand doesn't even have anywhere near as much justification for ducking the fight @ 151 the way he did.

its been said basically, and I was surprised that they gave Machida another title shot on short notice because I really wanted to see him at his best against Jones in a rematch, luckily he didnt take it.

You gotta understand Machida fought Jones on short notice the first time and if hes gonna fight him again he knows he needs a full camp to work on his wrestling, TDD, foot work and conditioning, all of which can barely be touched in a 4 week camp.

Unlike Jones who could have continued the training camp he was already doing' date='[b'] Machida hadn't been training at all[/b]. And considering Machida has already lost to Jones once, a second loss would more or less guarantee that he would never get another title shot again. So he wanted to make sure he was as prepared as possible for the fight.

Jones on the other hand doesn't even have anywhere near as much justification for ducking the fight @ 151 the way he did.

He just fought Ryan Bader!

Machida's just getting back on track. He got his *** handed to him against Jones. I was him I would've declined it too. I wouldn't consider he's ready to face Jones right now even if he had a full camp he needs to work on some new stuff and then try it.. right now he'd just be the same fighter he was last time. Didn't get time to really improve he was just recovering from a loss and building his confidence back.

LOL!

How come people are soooo rational and forgiving when a certain fighter ducks another and then do a complete 180? and blindly bash another certain fighter for ducking?

Machida had his reasons, Jones had his.

Double sandards?:rolleyes:

I'm thinking yes...

BTW, I agree with Machida's decision, he's ducking Jones but he is right and I don't blame him.

It's not JBJ's fault that an entire division is so scared to fight him, that they have to go find unworhy contenders in MW.

LOL!

How come people are soooo rational and forgiving when a certain fighter ducks another and then do a complete 180? and blindly bash another certain fighter for ducking?

Machida had his reasons' date=' Jones had his.

Double sandards?:rolleyes:

I'm thinking yes...

BTW, I agree with Machida's decision, he's ducking Jones but he is right and I don't blame him.

It's not JBJ's fault that an entire division is so scared to fight him, that they have to go find unworhy contenders in MW.[/quote']

Machida ducked Jones. He scurred.

Machida ducked Jones. He scurred.

He was being intelligent, he has spoken about this and he has said that, there was just an enormous risk in taking the fight with Jones, beacuse had he lost, he wouldn't have a shot at the title for as long as JBJ held it and since he already took the first one on short notice, I understand why he would want a full camp, he tried this before and didn't work, why try it again?

The sport has changed.

The fighters that took on all comers with just a couple of days to train are all gone.

Those fighters weren't fighting for what these guys are today and they certainly weren't fighting the guys that exist today.

Because if he loses twice to Jones he will probably not be fighting him ever again for a title. Since he is already at a disadvantage taking the fight on one month notice would have more then likely would have been a death sentence. It is foolish to fight any top level opponent on short notice unless you are like Chael and it is just a way to skip to the front of the line. Machida is already near the front of the line and if he doesn't prepare and be the best Machida we have seen he won't beat Jones. Taking a fight on one month notice I doubt we would have seen the best Machida ever.

I basically have 2 theories on why Machida turned the fight down

His dad advised him against it. It seems like he respects his dad a lot and kind of goes with what his dad's opinion is without questioning it. I think this is a strong possibility of why he turned down the chance

He feels that his chances of beating Jones are too slim to risk his status of being one of the greats. Machida has an amazing record and has so many wins over big names that he may not want to tarnish that by being known as the obvious number 2 guy in LHW. He may just be smart enough to know that winning this fight is going to take a lot of hard work and doesn't want to squander his possible last chance at Jones

Anyways' date=' I think this is a more important topic than why Jones turned down the fight with Sonnen. Jones had all the reason in the world to turn that one down, Sonnen was a bully and disrespectful and he told Sonnen directly that he would not talk his way to a title shot. Why would he reward someone that is nasty and a bully and did nothing at all to deserve a shot at the belt?

I'm more interseted to know why Machida would turn down a LHW shot when he is ultimately looking to get the belt back[/quote']

Machida has every reason to turn down the fight, as he said, not enough time for him to prepare. But Jones just get the chance to shut down Sonnen's mouth and he rejected. So that means he is not confident about himself to beat Sonnen.

Machida has every reason to turn down the fight' date=' as he said, not enough time for him to prepare. But Jones just get the chance to shut down Sonnen's mouth and he rejected. [b']So that means he is not confident about himself to beat Sonnen.[/b]

The same can be said of Machida regarding the JBJ fight.

Machida had been training for months for the Bader fight and I don't think he was hurt since he barely got hit by him, he was ready to face Bones but chose not to, just like Bones was ready to fight Sonnen but chose not to.

What's the difference?

The UFC was unprofessional in putting together such a (IMO), crappy card that had the sole intent of getting sold by just having one high profile fight in it, which to me is very dirty on their part.

Hendo was unprofessional by not disclosing of his injury 4 weeks and a half before the fight.

Jones made a business decision that not everybody would like (I bet that if he took the fight some LHW's would be very pissed about Sonnen getting the shot bypassing one of the hardest divisions in the UFC), he did nothing wrong except piss off Dana (who has now calmed down and realised blaming Jones for the everything is ridiculous, he shouldn't be blaming him all, but good luck in hearing Dana say "I was in the wrong when I put such a lackluster card together").

Same goes for Machida he made a business decision.

Unlike Jones who could have continued the training camp he was already doing' date=' Machida hadn't been training at all. And considering Machida has already lost to Jones once, a second loss would more or less guarantee that he would never get another title shot again. So he wanted to make sure he was as prepared as possible for the fight.

Jones on the other hand doesn't even have anywhere near as much justification for ducking the fight @ 151 the way he did.[/quote']

Exactly.

Hendo trains with Sonnen.

Hendo gets injured and tells no one.

The minute Hendo gets injured, Sonnen who was scheduled to fight Griffin starts trash talking Jones.

Jones prepares to fight Hendo, while Sonnen trains to fight Jones.

Jones (the only person who has something to lose) declines the fight with Sonnen. Not enough time to prepare.

Machida gets the shot - declines. Reason - Not enough time to prepare.

Shogun gets the call - declines! Reason - Not enough time to prepare.

Belfort (Has ZERO to lose) is handed a title shot - surprise surprise - ACCEPTS!

So...

Machida, Shogun, and of course our hero Dana White (who everyone here absolutely love and have been #1 fans since day 1 no questions asked) are all ok. Get a free pass.

But that devil in disguise Jon Jones and his evil camp (The man who ruined MMA buy himself) - they are the bad guys here...

The bottom line is - UFC ****ed up and Jones gets the fall.

Great work on that one Dana.

Hendo trains with Sonnen.

Hendo said they haven't been training alot recently. Doesn't mean i believe it but it doesn't mean it's a not a fact either

Hendo gets injured and tells no one.

He tried to fight though it. Fighters do this all the time. I do agree he could have informed UFC brass sooner.

The minute Hendo gets injured' date=' Sonnen who was scheduled to fight Griffin starts trash talking Jones.

[b']So what he talks trash about anyone he doesn't have respect for. Maybe he likes Forrest and wanted to get into Jones head. Which obviously was working otherwise Jones wouldn't have whined to Dana "Uncle Dana *cries* please make him stop" - Jon Jones[/b]

Jones prepares to fight Hendo, while Sonnen trains to fight Jones.

Negative on the second part. It could be true but is pure speculation. .

Jones (the only person who has something to lose) declines the fight with Sonnen. Not enough time to prepare.

Machida gets the shot - declines. Reason - Not enough time to prepare.

Shogun gets the call - declines! Reason - Not enough time to prepare.

Fair enough, they didn't have a full camp like Jones and both lost to him fairly recently so they know better than any what they're in for.

Belfort (Has ZERO to lose) is handed a title shot - surprise surprise - ACCEPTS!

Belfort is the man. Props to him. Old school warrior mentality. We need more fighters with a FIGHTING ready for all comers attitude especially contenders and champions

So...

Machida, Shogun, and of course our hero Dana White (who everyone here absolutely love and have been #1 fans since day 1 no questions asked) are all ok. Get a free pass.

Machida and Shogun's decisions make sense. Dana did spin the situation somewhat and i'll definitely criticize him when i disagree.

But that devil in disguise Jon Jones and his evil camp (The man who ruined MMA buy himself) - they are the bad guys here...

It isn't all Jones fault. He and Greg are mostly to blame though. Based on past comments Jones would fight anyone Chael included. Jones back tracked on his word. Now UFC knows he's not a man of his word. Lesson learned. They should have expected and been prepared for this though so Jones shouldn't get full blame.

The bottom line is - UFC ****ed up and Jones gets the fall.

Negative

Great work on that one Dana.

Had nothing to do with him. Dana is just the UFC's mouthpiece nothing more nothing less.

Ha! Also check my sig. :P

Ha!

Nah. My version makes a lot more sense. ;)

Look, I like Machida and Shogun. I have nothing against Sonnen and hell, props to Belfort.

But the UFC **** up was so blatant it screams to high heaven.

They made a fine mess and sacrificed little Jon to save their face. Shame on them for that.

Incase if you havent noticed but Ryan Bader and Jon Jones are two completly different fighters :eek:

Yes, but Machida and Jones have already fought so they should know one another.....and besides, they would have both had the same time to train for each other. Machida did what Jones did, but Jones gets blamed more because he's Jon Jones.

Nah. My version makes a lot more sense. ;)

Look' date=' I like Machida and Shogun. I have nothing against Sonnen and hell, props to Belfort.

But the UFC **** up was so blatant it screams to high heaven.

They made a fine mess and sacrificed little Jon to save their face. Shame on them for that.[/quote']

Your version is pure speculation and places almost zero blame on Jones.

There is little reason for him to turn down a fight with Chael after going through a whole training camp healthy and especially when his own words in the past contradict his decision.

Your version is pure speculation and places almost zero blame on Jones.

These speculations are the most reasonable explanation for this fiasco.

And there's blame on everyone. I DO agree that I put the least blame on Jones, that's true.

As opposed to everyone else involved he had something to lose.

...well, that's not a 100% true. The UFC were about to lose. and that lead to the scapegoating of Jones.

These speculations are the most reasonable explanation for this fiasco.

And there's blame on everyone. I DO agree that I put the least blame on Jones' date=' that's true.

As opposed to everyone else involved he had something to lose.

...well, that's not a 100% true. The UFC were about to lose. and that lead to the scapegoating of Jones.[/quote']

I disagree. Check my sig for reason.

I checked your sig. Didn't see anything convincing :)

So' date=' If Dana comes to a fighter a day after he fought last, is he also expected to say yes to gain your respect[/b']?

That isn't what happened and fighters most likely have some injuries after a fight.

If you get past a full training camp and you're healthy and ready to go you should fight.

The champion especially should be ready to take on all comers.

All the fighters have my respect but i do have less for people doing what Jones did.

That isn't what happened and fighters most likely have some injuries after a fight.

If you get past a full training camp and you're healthy and ready to go you should fight.

The champion especially should be ready to take on all comers.

All the fighters have my respect but i do have less for people doing what Jones did.

You got it all wrong. The champion is the one having the most to lose.

He, more than any other fighter is the ONLY one who could even consider rejecting a fight. ESPECIALLY under these circumstances.

Everyone's expecting Jones to just go and put his belt on the line for anyone.

Let's see you put your position on the line for some newcomer with a two weeks notice...

I'm not saying you lose your job. I'm saying you get de-moted and take a pay cut, after someone who has nothing to lose, but your check to win is offered to take you on on some test of skills.

You got it all wrong. The champion is the one having the most to lose.

He' date=' more than any other fighter is the ONLY one who could even consider rejecting a fight. ESPECIALLY under these circumstances.

Everyone's expecting Jones to just go and put his belt on the line for anyone.

Let's see you put your position on the line for some newcomer with a two weeks notice...

I'm not saying you lose your job. I'm saying you get de-moted and take a pay cut, after someone who has nothing to lose, but your check to win is offered to take you on on some test of skills.[/quote']

your analogy sucks

It is Jon Jones job to defend the belt against any challanger put against him, and if he can;t do that then he is not a real champion

your analogy sucks

It is Jon Jones job to defend the belt against any challanger put against him' date=' and if he can;t do that then he is not a real champion[/quote']

My analogy does not suck.

The UFC expects the best fighter to be champion.

But the UFC gives free passes to anyone BUT him. Why? Why does Machida needs more time? Why does Shogun needs more time? but Jones doesn't? He was preparing for a different fight.

It should be exactly the other way around! You say no to a title shot??? What kind of fighter are YOU?

The champ has a belt to lose. The contender has only a belt to WIN.

UFC ****ed up and all the pissed off people blame Jones for making the ONLY decision he could logically make. None of us have been in his shoes by the way.

My analogy does not suck.

The UFC expects the best fighter to be champion.

But the UFC gives free passes to anyone BUT him. Why? Why does Machida needs more time? Why does Shogun needs more time? but Jones doesn't? He was preparing for a different fight.

It should be exactly the other way around! You say no to a title shot??? What kind of fighter are YOU?

The champ has a belt to lose. The contender has only a belt to WIN.

UFC ****ed up and all the pissed off people blame Jones for making the ONLY decision he could logically make. None of us have been in his shoes by the way.

Because Jones was already training, in shape and ready to fight.

Machida and Shogun were not training, were not in shape and were not ready to fight

Because Machida just fought Ryan Bader and maybe he wants actually to spend time with his family like a normal person does

Also only having a month to train when he fought Bones for the first time as a replacement

I'm sure Machida would like to have a full training camp before he challenges Bones again

Only a herp derp noob from troll land would actually try to compare the situation Machida was in to the situation Bones was in

Bones could have saved the card by TKOing a out of shape MW but he chose to be a diva and take the moral high ground

Now the "haters" are to blame

Real mature Jon...

Because Jones was already training' date=' in shape and ready to fight.

Machida and Shogun were not training, were not in shape and were not ready to fight[/quote']

To fight a particular fighter - Dan Henderson...

As for Machida and Shogun - why didn't the UFC just schedule that fight to a later date to enable ALL of them to train? Because it's easier to smear some guy...

I don't buy any of that bull **** and never will. UFC ****ed this up BIG time.

To fight a particular fighter - Dan Henderson...

As for Machida and Shogun - why didn't the UFC just schedule that fight to a later date to enable ALL of them to train? Because it's easier to smear some guy...

I don't buy any of that bull **** and never will. UFC ****ed this up BIG time.

lol yeah that makes soo much sense.......

He was only in shape to fight Hendo, if he fought anyone else he would be out of shape :rolleyes:

Because Machida just fought Ryan Bader and maybe he wants actually to spend time with his family like a normal person does

Also only having a month to train when he fought Bones for the first time as a replacement

I'm sure Machida would like to have a full training camp before he challenges Bones again

Only a herp derp noob from troll land would actually try to compare the situation Machida was in to the situation Bones was in

Bones could have saved the card by TKOing a out of shape MW but he chose to be a diva and take the moral high ground

Now the "haters" are to blame

Real mature Jon...

Your use of the word "noob" prevents me from taking you seriously. I'll just talk to the grown ups here (carnages41 and StompGrind).

lol yeah that makes soo much sense.......

He was only in shape to fight Hendo' date=' if he fought anyone else he would be out of shape :rolleyes:[/quote']

It's not about being in shape... in none of my posts did I refer to being in shape.

It's being prepared to fight the opponent in front of you.

One does not prepare to fight Hendo the same way he'd prepare to fight Sonnen. Especially, since it's VERY clear that Sonnen spent at the very least 4 weeks preparing to fight you...

It's not about being in shape... in none of my posts did I refer to being in shape.

It's being prepared to fight the opponent in front of you.

One does not prepare to fight Hendo the same way he'd prepare to fight Sonnen. Especially' date=' [b']since it's VERY clear that Sonnen spent at the very least 4 weeks preparing to fight you[/b]...

source?