Do you think watching the UFC helps you fight better?

RogerJones620

I was one of those people who was training in BJJ before I really started watching the UFC, but it feels like since I started watching the UFC frequently that I can now visualize different submissions, and how to set them up / avoid them better than I could when all I did was grapple a few times a week.

Anyone else notice this, or is it all in my head?

UFC 143 taught me that running away is always the best option. If you run away for long enough 3 blind geriatric dudes will back you up on the score cards.

I'd throw this in the nominations bucket for post of the year.

Also...yes, I believe it does help with fighting....should give you more confidence for one. Has anyone seen "Limitless" when dude suddenly remembers all the ways to fight and defend himself? Well, I don't think we have it to that extent, but we do have more knowledge than a non fan.

Nope. It may help you if you because you already train and your basically watch a demonstration of techniques and approaches to applying techniques that you are already familiar with.

For someone that hasn't trained, an over-estimation on your fighting IQ is going to just lead to someone beating 6 shades of **** out of you in a bar.

I've been working on kick boxing in the gym for over a year. We have no real classes here so I'm winging it. I learned to wrap my hands from a you tube video. Thowing combinations looks a lot ****ing easier on tv than it is real life, and throwing kicks hurts a lot of lot more than I thought it would.

All in all, while I do have a better idea of what to do just from watching it, I don't think it makes me any noticeably better than some random dude.

I'd throw this in the nominations bucket for post of the year.

Also...yes' date=' I believe it does help with fighting....should give you more confidence for one. Has anyone seen "Limitless" when dude suddenly remembers all the ways to fight and defend himself? Well, I don't think we have it to that extent, but we do have more knowledge than a non fan.[/quote']

One of the millions of posts about running for post of the year? Really? I would hope we would set our standards higher than that.

I wouldn't say it makes you a good fighter, but there's certainly nothing that can be bad about watching it in terms of how you fight...

It's good for knowing what works and what doesn't. Someone who just watches mma or even just the ufc would know more then a person who has never seen or been in a fight, but they are obviously not going to be as good as someone who actually studies and trains how to fight.

I never knew what a guillotine choke was until I started watching mma, and I've put a guy to sleep with a Guillotine at a party. That was before I had any experience in bjj.

I was one of those people who was training in BJJ before I really started watching the UFC' date=' but it feels like since I started watching the UFC frequently that I can now visualize different submissions, and how to set them up / avoid them better than I could when all I did was grapple a few times a week.

Anyone else notice this, or is it all in my head?[/quote']

The more you watch and study the better. seeing different techniques helps no end. thats why fighters always watch video of fights, to see how others work and opponents do things to help them in future fights

Being a good student of MMA goes hand in hand with hard work and training.

You can definitely learn techniques from watching the fights. The key is to actually take one move you are interested in and pause and rewind, pause and rewind, and break it down. Then try to find a school where you can try it out or find a friend/victim :). I recommend watching the Gracie Breakdown. Ryron and Rener do a great job on breaking down he mechanics of past UFC fights. I learned Chael Sonnen's defense to the triangle from looking at Silva/Chael 1. Just learned not to leave the arm in :D....I'll even go so far to say that you can learn technique off of playing the UFC Undisputed series. It's not the best at all but technicallly you can learn the leg and arm placement of a triangle for example, just by playing the game. I'd recommend going to a school if possible because even the move you see that works in the UFC might have horrible technique.

I remember back in the day when we all used to wrestle eachother and people thought that the headlock was a good move. Now a days we all know that youre giving the opponent your back and thus its a bad move.

I learned a lot of stuff about correct body positioning just from watching MMA. Say what you want about Rogan, but at times during fights he can break down positions and submissions really good. I learned from Joe that when applying a guillotine you are supposed to lean forward into the opponent rather than away. Also about how you turn into the choke when attempting to escape a RnC.

I remember back in the day when we all used to wrestle eachother and people thought that the headlock was a good move. Now a days we all know that youre giving the opponent your back and thus its a bad move.

I learned a lot of stuff about correct body positioning just from watching MMA. Say what you want about Rogan' date=' but at times during fights he can break down positions and submissions really good. I learned from Joe that when applying a guillotine you are supposed to lean forward into the opponent rather than away. Also about how you turn into the choke when attempting to escape a RnC.[/quote']

People like him and Bas with martial arts backgrounds are the best commentators IMO

Not on the feet but grappling yes. Watching MMA educates you on the different positions and how to get to them. You would be surprised how easy it is to school somebody on the ground who knows absolutely nothing about jujitsu but on the feet all it will do is make you think too much. the only way to get used to having punches thrown at you is by experiencing the real thing. I compete in muay thai, thought i knew what i was doing when i first stared. I now know I Didn't.

Watching MMA (UFC) doesn't teach you what a punch to the face feels like. It doesn't teach you how to apply an armbar or triangle. Get off your couches and go train!

It helps with being a better fighter to watch tapes of fights to learn technique and opponents skills. Studying film has help every fighter that is a professional you know.

If anybody thinks watching and not training then I think you/they have missed the point entirely

I was one of those people who was training in BJJ before I really started watching the UFC' date=' but it feels like since I started watching the UFC frequently that I can now visualize different submissions, and how to set them up / avoid them better than I could when all I did was grapple a few times a week.

Yeah you would still get beat down so don't go and get in any fights......

Honestly, I think so. I started training Bjj and Muay Thai about a full year before I started watching the UFC, and MMA religiously...and ever since then, I've come up with a ton new techniques that I have incorporated into my training. The Segal front kick in particular...it actually works really well against my sparring partners lol ;)

Honestly' date=' I think so. I started training Bjj and Muay Thai about a full year before I started watching the UFC, and MMA religiously...and ever since then, I've come up with a ton new techniques that I have incorporated into my training. The Segal front kick in particular...it actually works really well against my sparring partners lol ;)[/quote']

tumblr_lhhcwvFGSn1qh66eho1_500.gif

Yes it does. I started training a couple years ago and before that I had been following MMA very closely for about 3 or 4 years. I know for a fact it has made me better.

Here's a true story. One of my first time's rolling live I was able to get a triangle on one of the top students in the class and I flipped him over and had him in a mounted triangle. I couldn't finish it but I was able to do all that just from watching MMA very closely.

It might not help the average fan who doesn't train and just watches from time to time. But if you are observing closely, breaking things down, watching all the time, AND training than it will help you a lot!