Mike Tyson: "I would have chosen the UFC over boxing."

Emrig

I seem to recall Tyson making very similar statements before. I think generally MMA has usurped boxing in the realm of attracting young athletes seeking a physical outlet for their angst, at least in America. And Iron Mike was certainly a man who was fighting his problems more than any particular person in the ring with him. I could very easily see a young Mike Tyson being drawn into the sport. Of course, he might not have excelled in sports of any kind if not for Cus, and he was a very old school boxing trainer, I doubt D'Amato would have approved of him going over to Boxing. And considering how much Mike idolized him, it's unlikely he would have gone against what I assume would be his trainer's wishes.

All the heavyweight boxing threads in the outside section showed no respect for Tyson at all.

I've always maintained that Mike Tyson is far and away my favorite boxer of all time. But I also have enough perspective of the sport to know that his name belongs no where near the top of any P4P list, and it would be pretty difficult for me to back up a claim he belongs even in the top 5 Heavyweights ever. Mike Tyson is professional sport's biggest "what if..." scenario in my eyes. He had the potential to certainly become the best HW of all time - possibly one day even be worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Sugar. But, the death of D'Amato and subsequently becoming associated with King did a lot of take a promising young superstar in the making and turn him into a power hitter who plants his feet and does nothing but look for the KO's to appease the PPV buying masses. He abandoned the peek-a-boo style that Cus had taught him and that had worked so well for him. And let's not forget his personal life crumbled around him as his professional life was taken off course.

I am actually usually shocked at just how many people look at Tyson's career through rose colored glasses. I seem to recall several people on this very forum say Tyson was the best P4P boxer of all time - than again I've also see people say it might be Lennox or Holyfield simply because of their victories over Iron Mike.

Like I said at the start of this, Mike Tyson will always be my favorite. He was like Superman when I was a kid - my family and neighbors would gather round TV sets, and we'd sit and watch. Now for most people, this was done simply because it was a cultural event - Tyson made boxing relevant in the main stream again - but for me it was like watching a real life clash of Demigods, and for years I saw Mike reign on top of the mountain. I was mesmerized by him, in many ways I still am. HOWEVER, I have managed to shove quite a lot of boxing facts and old bouts into my brain since I was a child, and while nostalgically thinking Mike is my favorite ever, my brain has learned enough to know that my heart on this matter is way off.

Lombard reminds me of Tyson alot with his physique and mentality

This. For awhile people have been saying Hector is the Mike Tyson of MMA. He had a very bad showing in his first UFC fight. Hopefully the real Lombard will come back out in his next fights. I think Tyson would have been killing people if he hit them with those smaller gloves!

This. For awhile people have been saying Hector is the Mike Tyson of MMA. He had a very bad showing in his first UFC fight. Hopefully the real Lombard will come back out in his next fights. I think Tyson would have been killing people if he hit them with those smaller gloves!

Lombard always fights like that against decent opponents, Tim had a broken foot and he couldn't do anything to him not even keep him down.

So an old' date=' former boxer says he would have been in the UFC if he was younger, and all the haters now love him?[/quote']

Nobody denys Tyson acted like a ****** at times but you cant deny he was one of the greatest. I think what people like is the idea of one of the most powerful and dominant boxers ever in MMA at their prime. People love that idea. Not the ear bitter...Must I always teach?

I seem to recall Tyson making very similar statements before. I think generally MMA has usurped boxing in the realm of attracting young athletes seeking a physical outlet for their angst' date=' at least in America.[/b'] And Iron Mike was certainly a man who was fighting his problems more than any particular person in the ring with him. I could very easily see a young Mike Tyson being drawn into the sport. Of course, he might not have excelled in sports of any kind if not for Cus, and he was a very old school boxing trainer, I doubt D'Amato would have approved of him going over to Boxing. And considering how much Mike idolized him, it's unlikely he would have gone against what I assume would be his trainer's wishes.

Yeah, I recently looked up boxing gyms in BC, I found a few boxing-centric, but I found dozens of boxing training in MMA gyms. So I would say that satement works for Canada as well. Way more BJJ gyms than straight up boxing

Yeah' date=' I recently looked up boxing gyms in BC, I found a few boxing-centric, but I found dozens of boxing training in MMA gyms. So I would say that satement works for Canada as well. Way more BJJ gyms than straight up boxing[/quote']

Yep so true

In my area we have 3 real boxing coaches all Olympic level boxers in thier day and former pros....1 is retired cuz he owns a lot of company's(my former boxing coach)...another still coaches boxing and is a damn good one he curtainly is the boxing coach of a NABO champ...and the 3rd is the boxing coach at my MMA gym

Of the quality boxing coaches alone in my area that's a 1-1-1 record of MMA vs. Boxing

I know the UFC has pretty much smoked boxing by now' date=' but I thought this was pretty interesting...

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/169021.html[/quote']

How has it "smoked boxing"???? Every seen what no name Boxers fighting HBO and Showtime make??? Anderson Silva money, 200k and better. Stars like Mayweather, Pacquiao 20+ Million. If Tyson woulda been in the UFC he would be dead by now from comminting suicide. He woulda spent the lil money he made in the UFC WAY faster then the Millions he made in boxing and woulda did something even stupider then the stuff he's done in the past. Maybe u mean in popularity that the UFC has "smoked boxing" but then again u can't really say that. HBO and Showtime put up great numbers and have u ever compared the live gates of the 2 sports??? Boxing brings in way more money at the MGM then the UFC. Only thing the UFC got over boxing is the other styles of fighting involved and that there is only 1 champ per division compared to boxing with their bs IBF, WBC, WBA and WBO title belts. Its a joke to have 4 champs in 1 division. Ducking and dodging goes in the UFC just like Boxing and the judges suck in UFC too. Maybe not as bad as Boxing but its not that much of a difference. Did u know this??? The 1 judge that scored the edgar-henderson rematch for frankie was a boxing ref??? Tony weeks. Isn't that funny??? Anyway, UFC kicks *** but don't act like its smoked Boxing cuz that's bs. Maybe u like it more but that's u.

And I hope I'm not viewed as a racist for this but white americans suck in boxing now in days. Idk what's going on but white americans aren't really making any noise in Boxing at all. In the ufc there's plenty of white americans, mostly former wrestlers turned MMA fighters. And I think that has a big thing to do with the popularity rise here in the usa compared to boxing.

Royce would have sub'd him' date=' they wouldn't have needed Rickson.[/quote']

Yeah, Royce would have murdered him, BUT Tyson is a once in a life time fighter. He is a fighter down to the bone. If he was in his prime and had some BJJ defense, some wrestling, and some TDD, put him in the 205 division, and he would have ran **** son. There are a lot of freak athletes that never make it or are in other sports(Lebron James)

Tyson woulda gotten trashed in the octagon imo.

He's not suggesting that he would come into the UFC as a boxer, he is saying that if MMA had been around when he was younger that he would have trained in that instead of boxing. He's not suggesting that he could have or should have entered the Octagon against modern-era MMA fighters with nothing other than his boxing pedigree.

It is unlikely that someone who excelled at boxing couldn't have just as easily excelled in MMA with equal training.