Will the UFC ever have a three division champion?

megaman

I was thinking about this the other day and I think Frankie Edgar has a huge chance of winning two more titles in different divisions.

Although I don't believe he'll beat Aldo, Aldo has already said he's moving up sooner or later, if Edgar's move to FW is permanent, I think he'll eventually win the title there assuming Aldo's out of the way.

He's sill young and I think he can make BW with ease, if he does it in the next three years, I don't think the competition there is all that great compared to LW and BW, also at that weight, Edgar's speed (which is his biggest asset), will be even greater and I doubt his cardio will be affected since he doesn't even cut weight to fight at LW.

I reckon a diet change will put him in the right track to fight at FW so he would just have to cut a little bit to fight at BW, besides there're tons of guys who are Edgar's size and frame that fight there.

Do you think it's possible that a fighter will ever win three titles in different divisions?

If so, who?

Really bad for business. Some of these champs only fight once a year as it is. Holding 2 belts would mean it gets defended every other year. I wouldn't mind seeing Belt vs Belt fights with a high cash reward. Only person who could pull it off is Jones. Even though I dislike him, he fights enough where he could defend each multiple times a year.

P.s. jones is a gutless worm.

double standard much? Promoting Jones and he's the youngest champ and Vitor's belt doesn't count' date=' promoting Vitor and he's the former HW and LHW champ. Go watch the new 152 promo.[/quote']

That's just UFC marketing BS. Vitor was 19 when he won the tournament (the only thing he ever won at HW). That would make Jones the 2nd youngest champ

Really bad for business. Some of these champs only fight once a year as it is. Holding 2 belts would mean it gets defended every other year. I wouldn't mind seeing Belt vs Belt fights with a high cash reward. Only person who could pull it off is Jones. Even though I dislike him' date=' he fights enough where he could defend each multiple times a year.

P.s. jones is a gutless worm.[/quote']

It would be really bad for your health to jump between 2 or 3 weight classes consistently.

The question is could anyone hold 3 different belts at different points in his career?

Couture and Penn had 2 already

It would be really bad for your health to jump between 2 or 3 weight classes consistently.

The question is could anyone hold 3 different belts at different points in his career?

Couture and Penn had 2 already

Oh ok. Silva could have probably pulled it off a few years ago. Jones too since he already has a good head start.

Oh ok. Silva could have probably pulled it off a few years ago. Jones too since he already has a good head start.

Jones would die at 185 (he's too big to try to cut that weight).

And I doubt that Silva could be the HW champ. He's great, but c'mon. Sonnen took him down at will

Edit: Actually Silva could be the HW champ when Arlovski, Sylvia, Couture were the champs. But not now

Jones would die at 185 (he's too big to try to cut that weight).

And I doubt that Silva could be the HW champ. He's great' date=' but c'mon. Sonnen took him down at will

Edit: Actually Silva could be the HW champ when Arlovski, Sylvia, Couture were the champs. But not now[/quote']

I meant silva for WW and LHW. Yea Jonea couldn't make it your right. Hmm.

Since when is cutting 25 Lbs and 15% of your body weight easy. Doubt Frankie would make it with success and if he did Barao would kick his ***.

He doesn't cut weight at LW, I bet he pretty much eats whatever he wants, he's already dropping down to his real weight class let's see what he does there, but I think he has a shot at being successful at BW in a couple of years time fairly easily, Dominick is taller and Faber is stockier than him and they make it fine.

He doesn't cut weight at LW' date=' I bet he pretty much eats whatever he wants, he's already dropping down to his real weight class let's see what he does there, but I think he has a shot at being successful at BW in a couple of years time fairly easily, Dominick is taller and Faber is stockier than him and they make it fine.[/quote']

He cuts a little bit to make Lightweight. He will never hold gold in the UFC again at Bantamweight, Featherweight, or Lightweight again as long as Benson Henderson and the Nova Uniao boys are still around.

He cuts a little bit to make Lightweight. He will never hold gold in the UFC again at Bantamweight' date=' Featherweight, or Lightweight again as long as Benson Henderson and the Nova Uniao boys are still around.[/quote']

Frankie after the first loss to Bendo said he doesn't cut weight.

I agree he'll never hold gold again in LW, but BW and FW (if Aldo goes up), is very arguable (depending on how he looks in his next couple of fights in that weight).

Frankie after the first loss to Bendo said he doesn't cut weight.

I agree he'll never hold gold again in LW' date=' but BW and FW (if Aldo goes up), is very arguable (depending on how he looks in his next couple of fights in that weight).[/quote']

Frankie has also stated that he has cut from 160.

Even if Aldo moves up Nova Uniao has Hacran Dias at Featherweight.

Edgar will never be a UFC champ again. Maybe if he can make FLyweight..

Frankie has also stated that he has cut from 160.

Even if Aldo moves up Nova Uniao has Hacran Dias at Featherweight.

Edgar will never be a UFC champ again. Maybe if he can make FLyweight..

Like I've said, I still have to see him fight a couple of times in FW to really see what he can do in the lighter weight classes, but I wouldn't count a guy that beat Penn twice, KO'd Maynard and lost a split decision to Bendo out...

Frankie still has the best shot IMO' date=' since he started out in a division where he was the extremely undersized fighter, he has already gotten through the "tough part".

He'll never be so overwhelmed by his opponents size again.[/quote']

No. Instead he will be overwhelmed with their speed. Different strengths come with different weight classes, and there are no weight class that are easier to compete in then the others. They're just different.

As for who will hold championship gold in multiple weightclasses... anderson could have done it a few years ago, when he was willing to drop to 170, and before Jones won the lhw title. Whether or not he could still do it is another thing entirely.

Aldo is highly regarded as a guy who could take the lightweight title. What if he bulks up like Alves at 170?