Cormier wants TUF showdown with Jon Jones

" Daniel Cormier claims to have found the ideal solution to Jon Jones' current popularity problems: A TUF rivalry between the pair.

Cormier is carving out a reputation for himself as the top heavyweight under the Strikeforce banner. Later this year he will attempt to prove he is ready for the UFC by taking on Frank Mir.

However, Cormier is prepared to drop to light-heavyweight in order to challenge Jones, who has looked invincible in the 205lbs division. Wins over the likes of Mauricio Shogun Rua and Lyoto Machida have so far barely forced Jones outside of his comfort zone.

The youngster's greatest challenge to date has been his public persona, which has taken a battering after he rejected a fight at UFC 151. Cormier claims a TUF season - culminating in a title fight - would be good for both of them.

"I know a situation that helps out everyone. Give Jon a challenge that he doesn't get from most guys, and that's something that I present," Cormier told Bloody Elbow.

"Hopefully, him and I get through our next fight. At the beginning of the year, let us coach the next season of The Ultimate Fighter. That gives me time to actually get my weight down, and in the summer time, we fight.

"How does that sound? I'm throwing it out there right now. Let's do it. He hasn't coached the show before, and neither have I. Let the fans get to know me better by putting me on TV for two-and-a-half months, and then put me and Jon in a fight.

"Jon's a good wrestler, but I've wrestled at a different level. I'm going to pressure him. I'm going to take him down. I think it would be great for everybody, all around. I can tell you with 100% confidence in myself and in my ability, that if I was to fight him, or anyone else in the world, at some point in that fight, if I decide to put them on their back, I'm putting them on their back."

The greatest obstacle to Cormier's plan, other than the fact both men have to win their next fights, could be the UFC's wish to keep him at heavyweight. Cormier is seen as a challenger to Junior Dos Santos, but in either division there is no denying that he is one of the sport's hottest commodities right now."

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/169375.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Thoughts on Jones coaching The Ultimate Fighter? And then fighting Cormier?

Jon Jones will lose to Vitor and then go on TUF as a competitor' date=' not a coach, the kid is 24 and is still very green, he could learn a lot if he was coached by Cormier or Vitor[/quote']

Care to do some kind of sig/avatar/account bet on that?

I like it' date=' he will be JBJ's only challenge at that weight so it makes all the sense in the world.[/quote']

Jones coaching TUF would give the fans a real up close and personal look on him, it could be very good or very bad, lol.

But ya I'm all for it, I'd love to see him fight Cormier, and I'd love to see him coach.

Jones is the only champ that fights more than 2 times a year so it would be bad to have him coach TUF

That's what i was thinking, and it would be the only downfall. But I'm sure he'll speed it up somehow... Maybe he'll take a fight mid TUF against Hendo. Lol.

Average mma fan doesn't know Cormier. Really hope he drops to 205. Maybe down the road after the UFC push it might make sense.

That's why TUF exposure would be good for Cormier' date=' to get people a chance to know who he is. They did it with Junior when he coached against Brock. I think it would be an excellent idea.

Lol Cormier looking past Mir :mad:

He should be looking past Mir. Let's face it Mir is going nighty nite.

is the only reason he didnt fight chael was cuz of the short notice? im really not sure i dont pay to much attention to the out of cage antics...but if not why would he not fight chael a MW with good wrestling and so-so striking' date=' but fight a natural HW with olympic caliber wrestling and striking much better than Chaels??[/quote']

Yea Jones declined that fight because of short notice. He said he would of fought him if he had some time to prepare (a month or so).

I really don't want a whole season of TUF to be ruined by Jones. The show would be all about him, not the fighters.

With that said I would love to see Cormier on the show at LHW, and I think he would do very well. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he handed Jones a beating and put on a wrestling clinic if they ever do fight.

There's no obstacle' date=' as the article suggests. Dana White already stated that he wants Cormier at LHW. If he gets past Mir, this is one solid *** plan.[/quote']

I forgot about that. Looks like this will happen if they both win :)

Wouldn't be fair to Cormier with that reach advantage that Jones possesses. In fact' date=' it's not fair to anyone, therefore Jones should retire.[/quote']

That's the first time I've seen you make a "troll" statement. What's up?

Daniel Cormier will lose to Frank Mir, then drop to light heavyweight, but he won't be getting a title shot right away.

It's true that Frank pretty much has no hope of taking him down, but I honestly don't think he has to. Frank could potentially outbox him and can use his kicks and knees, which is something I don't think Cormier's had to really deal with before, and win on the feet. If he takes Frank down and plans to stay on the ground with him, I think he's in trouble. Frank's coming back to the UFC with some fresh momentum.

Daniel Cormier will lose to Frank Mir' date=' then drop to light heavyweight, but he won't be getting a title shot right away.

It's true that Frank pretty much has no hope of taking him down, but I honestly don't think he has to. Frank could potentially outbox him and can use his kicks and knees, which is something I don't think Cormier's had to really deal with before, and win on the feet. If he takes Frank down and plans to stay on the ground with him, I think he's in trouble. Frank's coming back to the UFC with some fresh momentum.[/quote']

HAHA. Mir is over the hill

Daniel Cormier will lose to Frank Mir' date=' then drop to light heavyweight, but he won't be getting a title shot right away.

It's true that Frank pretty much has no hope of taking him down, but I honestly don't think he has to. Frank could potentially outbox him and can use his kicks and knees, which is something I don't think Cormier's had to really deal with before, and win on the feet. If he takes Frank down and plans to stay on the ground with him, I think he's in trouble. Frank's coming back to the UFC with some fresh momentum.[/quote']

ahhhahha good one. Mir is getting knocked out son, deal wit it.

Would be a great fight, though I'm not sure fans could handle a tuf season with greg jackson coaching up and comers, and jones's face taking up camera time. Rioting in the streets may occur, along with death threats sent to the tuf training center.

They should make the fight happen though since the lhw's are in no hurry to fight jones, and we all know cormier is beating mir with ease.