Should Aldo move to 135 after Edgar takes the belt from him

shinyaaoki

The problem with people dodging divisions because they can't win/keep a belt in their own is it rarely works. They can only hope to realize it's not their division it's them.

The last thing the fans need is another point fighter holding a belt ransom again anyways. I hope Aldo beats him into the Prelims but unfortunately it could be a close one.

The problem with people dodging divisions because they can't win/keep a belt in their own is it rarely works. They can only hope to realize it's not their division it's them.

The last thing the fans need is another point fighter holding a belt ransom again anyways. I hope Aldo beats him into the Prelims but unfortunately it could be a close one.

Frankie is the point fighter? Frankie has 3 finishes in the UFC and Aldo only has one, and he had to cheat to do it.

Frankie accidentally gets finishes while he's Greg Jackson'ing it up scoring points with shadow boxing. Watch his fights closely, half the punches he throws (not feints) he has no intention of harming anyone with. He throws them purely to impress judges. Aldo does not do this therefore he's > Frankie.

Aldo only has 3 fights in the UFC. But I guess that doesn't help your biased argument

Everyone's argument is biased. But I don't think it's fairto criticize Frankie for being a "point fighter" when he has more finishes then his opponent. He was in one of the toughest weight classes in MMA, while Aldo was handed a belt and placed in a made up weight class.

Everyone's argument is biased. But I don't think it's fairto criticize Frankie for being a "point fighter" when he has more finishes then his opponent. He was in one of the toughest weight classes in MMA' date=' while Aldo was handed a belt and placed in a made up weight class.[/quote']

Did you watch the WEC?

If the UFC had no 145 and 135 divisions and they merged with the WEC what did you expect them to do?

Take Aldo's belt away from him? He proved to be the best in the division anyway

Yea this ^^ is what i meant by that.

Some new fighters were added, and some 155ers dropped down in weight, but the 135 and 145 lb division, to this day, consists of mainly WEC fighters.

That's why i tend to count Aldos finishes and title defenses in the WEC as if they happened in the UFC.

Everyone's argument is biased. But I don't think it's fairto criticize Frankie for being a "point fighter" when he has more finishes then his opponent. He was in one of the toughest weight classes in MMA' date=' while Aldo was handed a belt and placed in a made up weight class.[/quote']

Frankie is mostly a point fighter. Him and Guida are like twins lost at birth only Guida is a little less talented.

Aldo is a wrecking machine and a monster but i guess he'll have to move up a weightclass to prove it to the people that think he's somehow sub par.

If the UFC had no 145 and 135 divisions and they merged with the WEC what did you expect them to do?

Take Aldo's belt away from him? He proved to be the best in the division anyway

Of course not, but the WEC wasn't that popular. The new weight classes are shallow right now because it just now entered the biggest MMA organization. If Aldo was facing huge wrestlers, he might have to "point fight" as well.

Frankie is mostly a point fighter. Him and Guida are like twins lost at birth only Guida is a little less talented.

Aldo is a wrecking machine and a monster but i guess he'll have to move up a weightclass to prove it to the people that think he's somehow sub par.

I don't want to say a fighter has move up to prove himself(unless he is just much larger then everyone else), but Aldo's competition level hasn't even been close to Frankie's.

I don't want to say a fighter has move up to prove himself(unless he is just much larger then everyone else)' date=' but Aldo's competition level hasn't even been close to Frankie's.[/quote']

Just to tell you something you already knew...

Frankie just lost two fights in a row, back to back, against a guy from the less popular and shallow WEC.

:)

Of course not' date=' but the WEC wasn't that popular. The new weight classes are shallow right now because it just now entered the biggest MMA organization. If Aldo was facing huge wrestlers, he might have to "point fight" as well.[/quote']

Here's the problem, Frankie has had the same style of fighting since he started. He's always been a point fighter, huge wrestlers or not.

Aldo has always been a one man mauling machine, huge wrestlers or not.

Of course not' date=' but the WEC wasn't that popular. The new weight classes are shallow right now because it just now entered the biggest MMA organization. If Aldo was facing huge wrestlers, he might have to "point fight" as well.[/quote']

Speak for yourself on WEC not being popular. It was often better than UFC to me. They never dissapointed.

As for wrestlers he's already faced one in Mendes. Manny is powerful and no slouch with his Judo and Mike Brown while not a wrestler per se is very powerful and good at wrestling.

Aldo's TDD was great before and got even better after training with Maynard. His jitz is also very underated and very few people can stand with him.

He'll do fine against Wrestlers. Also you don't "point fight" wrestlers. You stuff thier takedown attempts and beat them up until they get desperate then you hurt them and knock them out. Either that or make them work on the ground and look for subs/sweeps.

Here's the problem' date=' Frankie has had the same style of fighting since he started. He's always been a point fighter, huge wrestlers or not.

Aldo has always been a one man mauling machine, huge wrestlers or not.[/quote']

Frankie can't just slug it out because the guys he fights are huge. His style allowshim to have offense without getting bullied, and he still has finishes.

I honestly don't think Aldo could maul any of the top LW's. He's in a relatively new weight class. Just my opinion.

Speak for yourself on WEC not being popular. It was often better than UFC to me. They never dissapointed.

As for wrestlers he's already faced one in Mendes. Manny is powerful and no slouch with his Judo and Mike Brown while not a wrestler per se is very powerful and good at wrestling.

Aldo's TDD was great before and got even better after training with Maynard. His jitz is also very underated and very few people can stand with him.

He'll do fine against Wrestlers.

I'm speaking for everyone. I'm not judging the WEC's entertainment value, I'm simply saying that the UFC has much higher brand recognition, allowing for more athletes to be produced generationally for each weight class. WEC didn't have that kind of impact, so these "new" weight classes will become deeper as participation increases.

Frankie can't just slug it out because the guys he fights are huge. His style allowshim to have offense without getting bullied' date=' and he still has finishes.

I honestly don't think Aldo could maul any of the top LW's. He's in a relatively new weight class. Just my opinion.

I'm speaking for everyone. I'm not judging the WEC's entertainment value, I'm simply saying that the UFC has much higher brand recognition, allowing for more athletes to be produced generationally for each weight class. WEC didn't have that kind of impact, so these "new" weight classes will become deeper as participation increases.[/quote']

What i mean is Frankie just isn't a slugger. As a person he fights differently then your common mma fighter, or slugger type. He goes out there and uses his extremely quick and smooth footwork to outbox a guy. But he doesn't go in for the kill 9 times out of 10. He doesn't try and finish people, he tries go out there and outbox and outwrestle his opponents.

Now don't get me wrong, i personally think that if Frankie went out there to take your head off he could. Imo he has power to knock people out, he just doesn't necessarily use it like he could if he wanted to finish.

Thankyou. Finally someone else with some sense. I pointed this out earlier in this thread.

Im puzzled why so many people keep saying this. He struggles to make 145.

No he doesn't..

Only time he ever struggled to make 145 at all was the Hominick fight where he came off an injury and got too big.

Edgar has the best chance of anyone Aldo has fought' date=' unfortunately that isn't saying much. Edgar's point fighting will help him big time here as it is likely to go the distance. That said [b']Aldo's kicks are much scarier then Hendo's[/b], Aldo is much scarier in general actually.

Yeah Hendo rarely kicks and he injured his knee now. No telling when he'll fight Edgar :P